• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Pixar Discussion Thread: Discussing Toy Story 3

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Hey all!

With the release of Toy Story 3 this past weekend (June 18th, 2010), this could be a nice hub to discuss anything present and upcoming related to Pixar. They've created many other amazing films like:

• Up
  • Wall-E
  • The Incredibles
  • Cars
  • A Bug's Life
  • Monsters Inc.
  • Ratatouille
  • Finding Nemo
  • Toy Story 1-3 (of course!)

And let's not forgot all the shorts they made, like most recently "Day & Night". They're by far the best 3D animation company today, their films are always quality and somehow impact us whether it be through laughter or through sadness.

I'd like to also update the thread over time with links with anything relating to Pixar and any upcoming movies.

LINKS

Toy Story 3: How Pixar changed animation -- http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/...ixar-animation
Interviews with two artists on Toy Story 3 -- http://pixartimes.com/2010/07/06/pixar-animators-aaron-hartline-everett-downing/

Thoughts on Toy Story 3 guys? :3 I've seen it three times already!

:bee:

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
Made a tribute vid to the TS franchise. Was pretty psyched for TS3 for the longest time. Reinvigorating the childhood spirit in me. Too bad I'm out of state or else I would've watched it already. Another week to go. Can't wait to watch it. IMAX all the way.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
its kind of amazing when you come across a movie thats literally loved by everyone who watched it.

at least, thats the impression im getting so far

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Shall be watching Toy Story 3 during this week. Can't wait.

Pixar has come up with some amazing stuff. The ones in the OP are definitely the best.

AKARed

Smash Apprentice
I just watched it yesterday and absolutely loved it. Reminds me of the good old days back in Toy Story 1 with all the "evil" toys other than just a Prospecter.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
its kind of amazing when you come across a movie thats literally loved by everyone who watched it.

at least, thats the impression im getting so far
So true! Most of us were just kids when the first one came out. I know I was 10 then and I remember being at the theater with my Mom watching it and loving every second of it. TS3 did such an awesome job completely the trilogy. I thought all of the films really brought something unique to the table. It's hard to even say which one I liked the best xD but I think this one really helped the series come full circle.

UberMario

Smash Master
This movie was so awesome! I didn't expect the movie to be that good (since usually sequals in general aren't [other than some like TS2 lol] especially after such a large time gap) but man, it was AMAZING!

I also found this to be
one of the darkest Pixar movies made yet and one of the darkest Disney has created in ages
Anyone else feel the same way?

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Hm, I don't actually think so.

I'm putting spoiler tags in case:

Most of Pixar's movies have some kind of death in them. In The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Up (within the first 5 minutes!) but with Toy Story there wasn't any 'death' per say. But I agree it was a much darker film at least out of the trilogy, just by the way the ending played out and staring death in the face.

UberMario

Smash Master
Hm, I don't actually think so.
*Spoiler*

Really? I thought the incinerator, Buzz getting crushed, FP Phone getting his face literally wiped off, the train Woody was riding falling off the bridge with an "explosion", the Sunnyside gang, the toys almost getting smushed, the list could go on fo me.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Toy Story 3 was better than the first 2 imo; definitely lived up to the hype. The "dark" feeling accompanying the movie at times made the movie that much more great.

S l o X

Smash Champion
Spoiler tags never work, I always end up highlighting them! ~_~

but I think I'm going to see this Thursday. Not very excited but I heard it's amazing so my hopes are high. I was 2 when the first one came out :D

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
Wondering how the IMAX experience would make TS3 any different....Hmm...

Out of the Pixar filmography (most listed in OP), I believe most of them were really great...except The Incredibles and Wall-E. Saying that they're overrated isn't something I have the right to do since I have no idea what makes them so great anyhow.

My opinion:
One was a G-rated Watchmen replica and the other would've worked better as a short film.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
such a great movie, just saw it tonight.

wowwwwwwwwwwww

the fire scene was the most dramatic thing i've seen in my entire life. who knew a bunch of toys going into a trash burner could be so incredibly emotional and heart-pounding.
and kudos to whoever composed the music. that scene was godlike

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
i have now met someone who doesn't like toy story 3. He also didn't like toy story 2 either :urg: :mad:

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
yeah i know. Apparently he said it was just bad...mainly cause he didn't like Jessie. He also thinks the 3rd movie looks stupid and that its just disney milking it for what its worth.

Heartless, lemme tell ya. Heartless.

UberMario

Smash Master
What was stupid about it? I've seen sequals that looked like the producers were milking them to oblivion *cough*Shrek 3*cough* this was not one of them.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
yeah i know. Apparently he said it was just bad...mainly cause he didn't like Jessie. He also thinks the 3rd movie looks stupid and that its just disney milking it for what its worth.

Heartless, lemme tell ya. Heartless.
Uhhh...

Uhhh...

WHAT

That's a little silly LOL.

Disney didn't make any of these movies. Disney ALMOST made Toy Story 3 but thank god for Pixar getting it back and putting it back into the right hands.

I also agree with what UberMario said o_o

TheSlip

Smash Cadet
Maybe I'm just over hyped, but... I think it might be the greatest animated movie I've ever seen. I liked it more than TS1 and TS2.

Pixar never ceases to amaze me.

UberMario

Smash Master
Um, don't you mean Pixar never ceases to amaze you? lol

And yes I actually thought it was better than even the original Toy Story, and that's saying something because the only disney movie that I thought came close to toping Toy Story was Finding Nemo, with Toy Story 2 in 3rd.

TheSlip

Smash Cadet
Um, don't you mean Pixar never ceases to amaze you? lol

And yes I actually thought it was better than even the original Toy Story, and that's saying something because the only disney movie that I thought came close to toping Toy Story was Finding Nemo, with Toy Story 2 in 3rd.
Dammit, haha. Yeah, I meant never.

And
Toy Story 3>UP>Wall-E>Toy Story>Monsters Inc>Toy Story 2>The Incredible>Finding Nemo>Ratatouille>Cars>Bugs Life

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
It's so hard whenever I think about which TS is my favorite (not out of Pixar as a whole). The original was amazing, it started everything. I LOVED TS2 it was so clever and fun, and explored some deeper themes. I just think TS3 kinda combined everything from TS and TS2. But idk, I'm almost inclined to say I liked TS2 the most. I think whenever TS3 comes out on Blu Ray (or even DVD) I'd watch all of them at once and see how I feel haha.

Vibe219

Smash Apprentice
I love all the Pixar movies and how they produce amazing movies one after the other. I went to see TS 3 and I couldn't believe it was as good as the previous two. I still think the second one is still my favorite one at the moment. Like already mentioned I think I would have to sit down and watch all three again.

Toy Story 2>Up>Toy Story 3>Toy Story>WALL-E>Incredibles>Bugs Life>Finding Nemo>Monsters Inc.>Ratatouille>Cars

Just my opinion. Up is extremely close to being my favorite. I love that movie so much.

UberMario

Smash Master
From my favorite to least favorite (though I liked them all):
Toy Story 3>Toy Story>Finding Nemo>Toy Story 2>Up>Monsters Inc>Cars>Ratatouille>The Incredibles>Bug's Life>Wall-E

Sgt. Baker

Smash Ace
So I saw Toy Story 3 on opening night and I had to fight a little kid for the last row seats lol (sorry, I've been waiting longer :laugh:). Toy Story 3 was what I was hoping for in a Toy Story movie and then much more. The movie actually had me moving in my seat to accompany any and all emotions in the movie. Toy Story now has earned a high spot with being one of the few trilogies where each film is actually amazing and innovative. Proops Toy Story, Proops.

Vibe219

Smash Apprentice
Just a fun little fact: I'm not sure if a lot of people or nobody has noticed this, but one man, John Ratzenberger, has played some character in every Pixar movie to date. You most likely would recognize him as Hamm, the Piggy Bank, in Toy Story.

List of roles:
Hamm- Toy Story 1,2,3
Circus Ring Leader- Bug's Life
Abominable Snowman- Monsters Inc
School of Moonfish- Finding Nemo
The Underminer- The Incredibles
Mack the truck- Cars
Mustafa (waiter)- Ratatouille
John- WALL-E
Tom (construction worker)- Up

I just realized this a little while ago when on a Pixar-watching frenzy and found it kind of interesting. Not sure if anyone else has noticed this.

Mota

TS3 is without a doubt my most favourite out of the trilogy, and what a trilogy it is. I went in with scepticism since other movie sequels/trilogies have been disappointing, but Toy Story 3 blew me away and more.
I agree that this one was a lot darker then the others.
The freaky exorcism baby and the depressed clown toy I liked:bee:

Incredibly moving and emotional
The scene where the toys are in garbage incinerator. Jessies desperate turn to Buzz asking what they should do, and there's just silence as they give each other such knowing looks. They all give up struggling, move closer and hold hands awaiting the inevitable together...that moved me so much more then the ending. My favourite part.

I like how there were so many movie scene references
Baby lifting Lotso above his head and throwing him into a hole, after an emotional memory of a loved one (Stars Wars, Vadar throwing Sidious.
Woody dropping down on his string (Mission Impossible)
Baby's 360 head turn
A couple more I think, but those are the ones I remember atm
Not to mention the plethora of Pixar movie easter eggs, Cars, Finding Nemo stickers posters

Pixar has come out with some very deep movies, this will go down as a classic. Those short films, 'Day & Night' and their animation and meanings are amazing.
Just a fun little fact: I'm not sure if a lot of people or nobody has noticed this, but one man, John Ratzenberger, has played some character in every Pixar movie to date. You most likely would recognize him as Hamm, the Piggy Bank, in Toy Story.
Haha nice one, I never realised.

UberMario

Smash Master
I had noticed that about Hamm's voice, I just forgot the name of the voice actor. (I believe he also did the voice to one of the workers at Al's Toy Barn, either that or the person had a really similar tone)

July

Smash Apprentice
Just saw TS3 last night and loved it! It was adorable and the fact that the movie grew up with our generation made the movie that much more powerful. Definitely want to see it again :3

Mota

Whilst watching Toy Story 3, I didn't really notice the 3D. Transfixing story ftw?

UberMario

Smash Master
It wasn't 3D, (unless IMAX was doing that), the Toy Story 3D Special was the first two movies back-to-back in 3D, I didn't see anything for TS3 in 3D (no glasses, no "red and blue outlines", no posters, ec.).

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Huh? Yes it was shown in 3D I wore glasses for the three times I went. It was shown in IMAX 3D and Disney Digital 3D. Now whether or not it LOOKED like it was 3D is another story. I wouldve much rather prefer the normal version.

Top Bottom