• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pond - Greninja General Discussion

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
So nothing drastic happened to Greninja besides Running Shadow Sneak, sounds good so far. I was never able to do that anyway so it looks like I can keep doing what I'm doing for the most part. Mega Man wasn't affected much either so that's nice to hear too. Diddy's hoo hah toned down is a plus too. Seems like all my mains but :4sonic: are a-okay, but Sonic's were just stupid to me. For Glory warriors, thanks a lot :glare:.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Mewtwo sounds like it's going to be a fun MU for us, I see his floatiness playing into our advantage

But we obviously don't know much yet. Looking forward to discussing it more later

Makani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CLF.Makani

???
I really doubt these are true, i've tested them twice and nothing seems different to me. Maybe i'm missing something?

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Greninja seems completely unchanged. Some people are claiming running SS is still on the Wii U version. I haven't been able to do it but I was never very good at it.

This patch was really kind to Greninja despite his lack of buffs, though. Of his four worst MUs, three of the characters have been nerfed; Diddy, Sonic and Sheik. Sheik will probably still beat us since she only got a small Bair nerf, but the other two took quite a few hits and I wouldn't like to say which way those MUs will go now.

Fox is looking to be Greninja's worst MU in this build. Some people are saying that Fox's jab cancel/infinite has been nerfed, and if that is true then Fox will get significantly easier to deal with, but I tried Fox's jab stuff and it doesn't seem any different.

Also, running Up Smash is once again really easy to input without tap jump on. It's just as easy as it was before the 1.04 patch which removed DACUS. Remember how people were saying running Up Smash was gone completely because it became so hard to do without jump cancelling? No longer a problem. Finally I can play with tap jump off and use Hydro Pump accurately!

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
greninja fair does 14% across the board. this wasn't changed.

up smash 2nd hit comes out faster if the 1st hit connects. i'm very sure of this.

i don't know about running shadow sneak, but the infinite shadow sneak where you jump after it to keep the shadow out forever is gone. this doesn't matter. i literally never used this except to show off after a KO. i can't test running shadow sneak because i'm bad at it, but apparently it still works?

nothing else was changed.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
the 2nd hit of his up smash connecting faster is actually kinda cool. less of those weird/awkward situations where you spike the other person with up smash and they don't die. it also seems like its easier to catch people with both hits because of the speed.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I haven't noticed a difference myself but I guess I just don't have the eye for those things.

I'm slightly bummed that Up-Air still doesn't connect properly but I can live.

I just hope the "better nerf Greninja" meme dies now.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I can't confirm the 2nd hit of Up Smash thing but if it's true, it'll make Up Smash easier to land on characters who often fall out of Up Smash's first hit. A notable character in that category is Zero Suit Samus.

Coffee™

I need it....
GUYS

GUYS

UP-SMASH FULLY CONNECTS WHEN THE OPPONENT IS STANDING ON A PLATFORM NOW

HYPE!
You sure? I checked on battlefields platforms earlier this morning but characters were still dropping out after the first hit.

Also...Greninja SDing when hitting ledges at a certain angle is still a thing.... -_-

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
You sure? I checked on battlefields platforms earlier this morning but characters were still dropping out after the first hit.

Also...Greninja SDing when hitting ledges at a certain angle is still a thing.... -_-
I just tested it, some characters escape like Rosalina and Samus, but Mario, Pit, G&W and others are fully hit by it!

Update: It only works at 0% in the ones it does work on now that I've done some more tests with it. So close, yet so far...

Last edited:

Haze~

Smash Journeyman
Up-smash always fully connected under plattforms on most of the cast at 0 %.

Karasu

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure that U-Air connects better than pre-patch.

I have two versions and was rarely able to connect it on the old one (gave me alot of troubles since it is a good kill move...). Now it is WAY easier and I almost always can connect every hit.

In addition, is it possible that the U-Throw kills a little bit earlier? I remember it killing at 163 and above but now it seems that it kills already at 160. Not sure on this one though.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
It's likely that the changes are just the USmash buffs and the bugfixes of Running Shadow Sneak and Indefinite Shadow Sneak.

I haven't found anything that seems to confirm anything beyond that; there's always the potential something was ever-so-slightly tweaked, but I doubt it for the time being. As a result, I doubt we'll make a Patch Thread for 1.0.6 (as it'd literally just be a few lines and not much else) and I'll just add a patch changes section at a future date for the Moveset Thread, but mention the USmash buff in it's area when we're able to obtain the actual changes from the game's data.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Sonic, Sheik and Diddy are much more bearable MUs now that they're nerfed (though Sheik wasn't too nerfed so she probably still wins against us. Sonic might be just 55:45 now and I'm pretty sure Diddy is even now) and the only one of our bad MUs that didn't change was Fox.

Today is such a nice day to be a Greninja main.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Given that, as FullMoon said, a lot of Greninja's irritating MUs were nerfed, would it be safe to say that Greninja is definitely high tier at this point? I can't really think of any super bad MUs for him now that Sonic's been nerfed (arguably Falcon I've heard. KY/OH area doesn't really have any good Falcons, though, so I don't know). Pre-patch, I would've argued a mid tier placement, but I feel he's gonna graduate to high tier (I don't think he has much trouble with ZSS, Rosalina, or Yoshi, who are among the guys predicted as the next big three).

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Given that, as FullMoon said, a lot of Greninja's irritating MUs were nerfed, would it be safe to say that Greninja is definitely high tier at this point? I can't really think of any super bad MUs for him now that Sonic's been nerfed (arguably Falcon I've heard. KY/OH area doesn't really have any good Falcons, though, so I don't know). Pre-patch, I would've argued a mid tier placement, but I feel he's gonna graduate to high tier (I don't think he has much trouble with ZSS, Rosalina, or Yoshi, who are among the guys predicted as the next big three).
I never found Captain Falcon to be a hard MU for Greninja really. I've gone against a lot of good Falcons and the MU always felt even to me.

Sonic is still highly annoying to fight, he just doesn't kill us as fast, but everything else that makes him tough for Greninja is still there, same with Sheik, except she never really killed us that fast.

Fox is probably going to be our worst MU I'd say.

If I were to give rating I'd place Fox and Sheik still at 60:40, Sonic at 55:45 and Diddy at 50:50.

Marilink

Smash Journeyman
I'd agree that Fox is our worst still. I have actually not played a nerfed Diddy yet.

I don't think Greninja will ever be top tier, but maybe this match will move him from high B to low A on account of his better matchups. I wouldn't expect anything drastic, though, until he gets picked up by more people.

Babar-Thorbald

Smash Apprentice
IMO, greninja has too many huges flaws that, considering they're not compensated anymore by op moves (old usmash, up b etc...) make him unable to rise to the higher tiers and will leave him in mid tier in his current state:
:..
-his standing grab is horrible, making him unable to tomahawk properly in high level matches and ruins his shieldgrab options.
Consider this: the tomahawk's basis is to 50 50, will I jump, and do an aerial? ==> answer is to shield then grab.
or will I jump, fall, take advantage of that shield and then grab, bypassing the armor and winning vs shieldgrab.
With a 16-17frame standing grab, that won't happen. I can obviously try a jab after landing, but then again, that'll be beaten by the shield. It makes shielding vs greninja a way stronger option that vs many other characters.
For the shieldgrab well... You already know it I believe. Yes, you'll be able to shield grab laggy moves, but then, you'd be able to do it with anyone. Now try it vs character with a fast recovery aerial, even vs a greninja nair decently spaced. And also, it means that if someone tomahawks, you have to jab, no grab option there (or you're ballzy and predicted that no aerial is incoming, therefore prepared your grab in advance).

-he has startup on his aerials that could trade damages
Situation: you're getting thrown in the airs, then oponnent jumps to you with an aerial. Many characters (think 90% of the cast) have an aerial that can trade for a 50 50, meaning they can airdodge, jump, or hit. greninja has one of these options removed, which makes him more predictible.

-His up b's ledge rebound bug. Ok it doesn't happen too often, but over the course of a tournament it may happen once or twice. That's two stocks you gave for free. That's two games you might have given up for no reason whatsoever.

-the shuriken in his current state is far from being a top tier projectile. Yes it was on 3ds, but atm, you have to use it extremely scarcely to make it a decent move; considering you have no down b and your side b is a hard read, you lack options yet again compared to higher tier characters.

Outside of that, greninja still has tools, but his neutral game is far from op, his combo game is decent without being the greatest and he relies a lot on reads to be used properly. Overall the issue with this character compared to other top tiers is that he requires more "bets" that other higher rated characters to do the same job. Yes he has great tools but his flaws really set him back in the current state.

On a side note, I think his flaws are greatly reduced in 2v2 which make him possible high tier then (having good mobility, great killmoves and decent damages while having a good projectile that can cover some camps).

I'm still loving the character, he has some awesome tools (side b to counter sheik's and diddy's fsmash always was one of my favorites) but seriously I hoped really hard that one of those issues would be corrected in the patch. (hint: usual grab frame for a fast character that is non tether is 6-7...)

tl;dr: pls sakurai stop be mean :/

Last edited:

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
I never found Captain Falcon to be a hard MU for Greninja really. I've gone against a lot of good Falcons and the MU always felt even to me.

Sonic is still highly annoying to fight, he just doesn't kill us as fast, but everything else that makes him tough for Greninja is still there, same with Sheik, except she never really killed us that fast.

Fox is probably going to be our worst MU I'd say.

If I were to give rating I'd place Fox and Sheik still at 60:40, Sonic at 55:45 and Diddy at 50:50.
I can 100% agree that fox is a bad matchup, but I've never really looked into it. Why exactly is it?

and what does everyone think about villager, mario and ROB in the matchup Im curious

KERO

Smash Journeyman
IMO, greninja has too many huges flaws that, considering they're not compensated anymore by op moves (old usmash, up b etc...) that make him unable to rise to the higher tiers and will leave him in mid tier in his current state:
:..
-his standing grab is horrible, making him unable to tomahawk properly in high level matches and ruins his shieldgrab options.
Consider this: the tomahawk's basis is to 50 50, will I jump, and do an aerial? ==> answer is to shield then grab.
or will I jump, fall, take advantage of that shield and then grab, bypassing the armor and winning vs shieldgrab.
With a 16-17frame standing grab, that won't happen. I can obviously try a jab after landing, but then again, that'll be beaten by the shield. It makes shielding vs greninja a way stronger option that vs many other characters.
For the shieldgrab well... You already know it I believe. Yes, you'll be able to shield grab laggy moves, but then, you'd be able to do it with anyone. Now try it vs character with a fast recovery aerial, even vs a greninja nair decently spaced. And also, it means that if someone tomahawks, you have to jab, no grab option there (or you're ballzy and predicted that no aerial is incoming, therefore prepared your grab in advance).

-he has startup on his aerials that could trade damages
Situation: you're getting thrown in the airs, then oponnent jumps to you with an aerial. Many characters (think 90% of the cast) have an aerial that can trade for a 50 50, meaning they can airdodge, jump, or hit. greninja has one of these options removed, which makes him more predictible.

-His up b's ledge rebound bug. Ok it doesn't happen too often, but over the course of a tournament it may happen once or twice. That's two stocks you gave for free. That's two games you might have given up for no reason whatsoever.

-the shuriken in his current state is far from being a top tier projectile. Yes it was on 3ds, but atm, you have to use it extremely scarcely to make it a decent move; considering you have no down b and your side b is a hard read, you lack options yet again compared to higher tier characters.

Outside of that, greninja still has tools, but his neutral game is far from op, his combo game is decent without being the greatest and he relies a lot on reads to be used properly. Overall the issue with this character compared to other top tiers is that he requires more "bets" that other higher rated characters to do the same job. Yes he has great tools but his flaws really set him back in the current state.

On a side note, I think his flaws are greatly reduced in 2v2 which make him possible high tier then (having good mobility, great killmoves and decent damages while having a good projectile that can cover some camps).

I'm still loving the character, he has some awesome tools (side b to counter sheik's and diddy's fsmash always was one of my favorites) but seriously I hoped really hard that one of those issues would be corrected in the patch. (hint: usual grab frame for a fast character that is non tether is 6-7...)

tl;dr: pls sakurai stop be mean :/
I won't argue that his standing grab isn't terrible in situations close to the opponent, but I will say it comes out frame 14, which is a ton better than frame 16-17. However, Greninja should never try and play on top of the opponent if approaching from the air. I feel that Greninja is a very zoning oriented character. He's fast and has excellent mobility, yes, but I personally feel that mobility needs to be used for zoning rather than rush down tactics. That said, Greninja still does have a form of Tomahawking. Rather than grab, though it's jabbing the opponents if they try to grab. Greninja's jab excellent, and mixing up Nairs (and even whiffed Nairs to jabs), Fairs, and empty short hops to jabs is an effective strategy. However, his standing grab does serve the important purpose of being a gigantic grab that can outspace some other moves (and grab non-disjoints). In addition to all this, his running grab, while still only coming out on frame 9, is one of the longest in the game and excellent given its range. I'll fully admit, Greninja's shield game is appalling, but I feel his mobility somewhat circumvents this at least.

Yes, Greninja doesn't really have any quick, long lasting aerials like a lot of characters, but he still has excellent airspeed and one of the best movement options in the game in Hydro Pump. In a lot of cases where character can throw out an Nair, all Greninja has to do is jump away and try to land (difficult, but fall speed helps a lot). Against faster character, this is admittedly a problem, but I'm not vouching that he's in any way a top tier character.

Up-B ledge rebound isn't a bug. It's a recovery weakness. You can argue that plenty of top and high tiers had these very minor weaknesses. It can happen by accident, but it's not random. Sheik can also kill herself by side-Bing accidentally as can several other characters. Diddy himself had some weird up-B glitches. Greninja has one of the best recoveries in the game, and I don't think a small flaw that can be mostly avoided really change that too much.

Shuriken is super MU dependent. Some characters do have trouble getting around it; others do not. Either way, it's a good long-range pressure tool. I wouldn't use it at all against a character like Fox, but characters like R.O.B. and Shulk definitely have issues with it.

Outside of all of that, I'll bring up some of the reasons I believe he's a high tier (definitely a low one, though). First of all is his keepaway game. I honestly believe that a Greninja with a stock lead becomes a top 10 character. Greninja has so many options to play a fantastic zoning game. Fair and Bair are both safe on most shields (curse you Sheik). Hydro Pump gives us incredible air mobility. Our mobility in general makes it extremely difficult to catch us. I played an excellent Mii Brawler (2nd at a 132 person tourney) pre-patch recently and noticed that, as long as I got the stock lead, it was difficult for him to even grab me because of how tight Greninja's defensive game can be once he gets that lead. Additionally, Greninja has a kill throw. Combine this with his excellent dash grab, and we have a reliable way to kill people with one big stipulation. Greninja cannot die before the opponent.

Greninja's biggest weakness, in my opinion, is that he needs to have the lead. A Greninja with a stock deficit falls to the level of a bottom Mid tier. His kill throw is essentially entirely contingent on rage, and at 0%, it is extremely weak. Worse yet, the opponent has the rage to actually combo Greninja despite Greninja's low percent. Dying before the opponent, in a lot of cases, gives them a free 40% on you.

Finally, if predictions are true, Greninja is going to be in a metagame where three of the best characters in the game are going to be Rosalina, ZSS, and Yoshi, all three of which he has little to no issue with (except ZSS. Haven't played a single ZSS ever, so I don't have an opinion on the MU). Yes, he'll have difficult MUs with Sheik, Fox, and Sonic, but those three may not be as prominent. Now, if I'm completely wrong on this front, then I could see Greninja staying in mid tier, but I do feel this patch has removed some of the roadblocks Greninja had to being a high tier character.

But... high tier, mid tier, whatever tier, I'm going to keep playing the frog regardless of where he ends up. I do personally believe that the character has more potential to succeed now.

Basically, my argument is that Greninja is a solid character that, in my opinion, does better against the top tiers than the other mid tiers. His mobility alone gives him a surprising amount of options, and while he does have abusable flaws, I think he has an overall better kit than any other mid tier at the moment. I will admit, though, he'd probably be the hardest high tier to play as since there isn't any one thing you can really rely on with him, but taking into account his whole kit, MUs, and mobility, I believe him to be a low high tier character now.

Last edited:

Kite0692

Smash Journeyman
I can 100% agree that fox is a bad matchup, but I've never really looked into it. Why exactly is it?
- Most of his attacks are either safe or really hard to punish (Bair, Utilt, Nair)
- Greninja's speed is what make him so slippery in front of the rest of the cast, but Fox is really fast too, so is not like you can take advantage of that.
- He can reflect shuriken like nothing. He just sees it and keep the shine up 'cause Greninja can't cancel it and has to throw the shuriken once you start charging it.
- He can kill faster and easier than us. He has setups for Usmash, his Bair I think it's safe, he has Uair, and if we get to live over 150% he has Utilt.
- On a particular note, I have problems getting in the stage against Fox when I grab the ledge.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Finally, if predictions are true, Greninja is going to be in a metagame where three of the best characters in the game are going to be Rosalina, ZSS, and Yoshi, all three of which he has little to no issue with (except ZSS. Haven't played a single ZSS ever, so I don't have an opinion on the MU). Yes, he'll have difficult MUs with Sheik, Fox, and Sonic, but those three may not be as prominent. Now, if I'm completely wrong on this front, then I could see Greninja staying in mid tier, but I do feel this patch has removed some of the roadblocks Greninja had to being a high tier character.
Pretty sure ZSS is even. Greninja wins the neutral thanks to shuriken outranging paralyzer and ZSS's tether grab taking a while to come out means N-Air is more safe on shield than usual since if she tries to grab us she's going to get jabbed. Both characters have great advantage and disadvantageous states and are really hard to edgeguard as well. ZSS's advantage over Greninja is that she has more reliable kill confirms in paralyzer and D-Smash.

As for Greninja's placement in the tier list? I don't care at this point. Greninja has probably the highest number of kill setups in the game, one of the best mobility specs, a lot of disjoints, good range, solid projectile, almost ungimpable recovery and a great combo game leading into an amazing advantageous state and an almost as good potential for edgeguarding. He also has a very long-ranged and fast dash-grab, one of the best in the game and his moves are very powerful in spite of how fast he is.

People still really underestimate Greninja based solely on his frame data because let's face it, unless you're really looking for it, you're probably not going to find much Greninja play. The frog hasn't shown many tournaments results either so basically he's left in the dark.

The thing with Greninja is that he has a high skill ceiling because he doesn't have anything as safe and spammable as some other characters have and requires a lot of precision to be very effective. That is what makes Greninja so rarely used and people who don't know his potential are probably going to think he's bad due to the skill ceiling that comes with playing him.

tl;dr I don't care about tier lists and I'm just going to play who I like. People can place Greninja at bottom if they want, makes it all the more satisfying when I win.

Babar-Thorbald

Smash Apprentice
I won't argue that his standing grab isn't terrible in situations close to the opponent, but I will say it comes out frame 14, which is a ton better than frame 16-17. However, Greninja should never try and play on top of the opponent if approaching from the air. I feel that Greninja is a very zoning oriented character. He's fast and has excellent mobility, yes, but I personally feel that mobility needs to be used for zoning rather than rush down tactics. That said, Greninja still does have a form of Tomahawking. Rather than grab, though it's jabbing the opponents if they try to grab. Greninja's jab excellent, and mixing up Nairs (and even whiffed Nairs to jabs), Fairs, and empty short hops to jabs is an effective strategy. However, his standing grab does serve the important purpose of being a gigantic grab that can outspace some other moves (and grab non-disjoints). In addition to all this, his running grab, while still only coming out on frame 9, is one of the longest in the game and excellent given its range. I'll fully admit, Greninja's shield game is appalling, but I feel his mobility somewhat circumvents this at least.
my mistake, it's 14. still terrible and I'm sorry, but for 14 frames, "gigantic grab range" isn't what it feels like. I've already covered the fact that you can jab after tomahawking, and that it's not a real solution. Yes it will work sometimes (and it IS your best option, jab is great) but it doesn't cover the 50 50 of "I shield or I hit" because it makes shielding just too good vs greninja.

Up-B ledge rebound isn't a bug. It's a recovery weakness. You can argue that plenty of top and high tiers had these very minor weaknesses. It can happen by accident, but it's not random. Sheik can also kill herself by side-Bing accidentally as can several other characters. Diddy himself had some weird up-B glitches. Greninja has one of the best recoveries in the game, and I don't think a small flaw that can be mostly avoided really change that too much.
because some other characters have glitches doesn't make it less of one (or the fact that you can still use any move besides up b after bouncing looks like some kind of innovative gameplay to your eyes idk, but to me it looks like a glitch). Also the side b on sheik one is purely player induced, it happens if he already used down b once and tries to do it again if I'm not mistaken (because most likely the player will input down+side+b, and the game will not consider the down input). It's like saying yes you can nair fast fall to death, so obviously there's no issue with up b bouncing...
Anyways I didn't quote it as a glaring weakness, it's just something that adds up to the fact that it won't help him clibing. Diddy had several tools to compensate; I'm not certain greninja has such great ones.

Shuriken is super MU dependent. Some characters do have trouble getting around it; others do not. Either way, it's a good long-range pressure tool. I wouldn't use it at all against a character like Fox, but characters like R.O.B. and Shulk definitely have issues with it.
For fox and shulk, totally agreed. For rob I'm pretty unsure, I have a lot of issues fighting rob because I feel like his projectile game wins mine. And a character that forces greninja to approach is already putting him in not such a great position.
Might be me though, it's just that for the ones I fought, I felt like the matchup was hard as hell. (and I fought some of the best diddy, fox sheik etc available in France... The ROB felt much harder to deal with to me. Mainly because nair and jab approach didn't work very well and that I couldnt deal properly with the projectiles. Again, that might be my playstyle that wasn't adapted. I just felt like the matchup was horrible.

Outside of all of that, I'll bring up some of the reasons I believe he's a high tier (definitely a low one, though). First of all is his keepaway game. I honestly believe that a Greninja with a stock lead becomes a top 10 character. Greninja has so many options to play a fantastic zoning game. Fair and Bair are both safe on most shields (curse you Sheik). Hydro Pump gives us incredible air mobility. Our mobility in general makes it extremely difficult to catch us. I played an excellent Mii Brawler (2nd at a 132 person tourney) pre-patch recently and noticed that, as long as I got the stock lead, it was difficult for him to even grab me because of how tight Greninja's defensive game can be once he gets that lead. Additionally, Greninja has a kill throw. Combine this with his excellent dash grab, and we have a reliable way to kill people with one big stipulation. Greninja cannot die before the opponent.

Greninja's biggest weakness, in my opinion, is that he needs to have the lead. A Greninja with a stock deficit falls to the level of a bottom Mid tier. His kill throw is essentially entirely contingent on rage, and at 0%, it is extremely weak. Worse yet, the opponent has the rage to actually combo Greninja despite Greninja's low percent. Dying before the opponent, in a lot of cases, gives them a free 40% on you.

But... high tier, mid tier, whatever tier, I'm going to keep playing the frog regardless of where he ends up. I do personally believe that the character has more potential to succeed now.

Basically, my argument is that Greninja is a solid character that, in my opinion, does better against the top tiers than the other mid tiers. His mobility alone gives him a surprising amount of options, and while he does have abusable flaws, I think he has an overall better kit than any other mid tier at the moment. I will admit, though, he'd probably be the hardest high tier to play as since there isn't any one thing you can really rely on with him, but taking into account his whole kit, MUs, and mobility, I believe him to be a low high tier character now.

I pretty much agree with you here, and I also think that he has a lot to offer and has a high skill ceiling and I remain in love with the froggy. (though I still consider him a solid mid :p)

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Dash grab exists, you know. Instead of spacing around standing grab, which is lol, you should space around dash grab instead.

Greninja's biggest weakness is shielding because of bad OoS options but that is why you only shield as a last resort and instead focus on avoiding attacks altogether instead.

Btw Yoshi will be top 2 in this patch
No he won't.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Yoshi has pretty much no kill setups and his grab is a tether. The biggest problem with Yoshi is his N-Air and very disruptive eggs, as well as his dash attack, but overall as long as you can keep him at bay Greninja shouldn't have too much of a problem with him.

Abuse disjoints to keep Yoshi away, he's going to rely on reads in order to get a kill so don't get too predictable and punish him when he whiffs a Smash. For some reason Yoshi feels easier to hit with Up-Smash than most characters, same with Ness, that might be just me though. Shurikens can also help force Yoshi to come after you sometimes.

I have one match where I survived until 190% against a Yoshi and I think I only didn't live longer because I killed him before he could land anything else on me.

Can't see the MU being any worse than even for Greninja.

Last edited:

Makani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CLF.Makani
Greninja's biggest weakness is shielding because of bad OoS options but that is why you only shield as a last resort and instead focus on avoiding attacks altogether instead.
I'd like to see some of your matches if that's possible, you offer alot of insightful info about Greninja that seems interesting. Before reading one of your posts about Greninja's neutral game I was always super aggressive and approachful, but since trying out maintaining neutral i've gotten some nice results out of it, although it doesn't work out in some MUs it's pretty great for the majority of MUs.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
my mistake, it's 14. still terrible and I'm sorry, but for 14 frames, "gigantic grab range" isn't what it feels like. I've already covered the fact that you can jab after tomahawking, and that it's not a real solution. Yes it will work sometimes (and it IS your best option, jab is great) but it doesn't cover the 50 50 of "I shield or I hit" because it makes shielding just too good vs greninja.
Jab is safe on quite a number of shields, though. It's not a perfect approach by any means, and Greninja in general doesn't like approaching (being a lead character and all), but it's serviceable enough in my opinion.

because some other characters have glitches doesn't make it less of one (or the fact that you can still use any move besides up b after bouncing looks like some kind of innovative gameplay to your eyes idk, but to me it looks like a glitch). Also the side b on sheik one is purely player induced, it happens if he already used down b once and tries to do it again if I'm not mistaken (because most likely the player will input down+side+b, and the game will not consider the down input). It's like saying yes you can nair fast fall to death, so obviously there's no issue with up b bouncing...
Anyways I didn't quote it as a glaring weakness, it's just something that adds up to the fact that it won't help him clibing. Diddy had several tools to compensate; I'm not certain greninja has such great ones.
Whether you bounce or not is 100% controllable. You only bounce if you collide with the ledge when Greninja is in a state during Hydro Pump where he is not auto-snapping (Personally, I'm a little unsure of when this time is, but from my experience, it seems to be right before pump 1 or 2 come out). It's not at all a random occurrence, which is why I made the comparison. It's player induced. Also, the fact that Greninja has that specific bouncing off something animation tells me that it's definitely intended that Hydro Pumping into the wall is not a glitch. Now, whether or not auto-snapping not being possible during the entirety of Hydro Pump is a glitch, I can't say for sure.

For fox and shulk, totally agreed. For rob I'm pretty unsure, I have a lot of issues fighting rob because I feel like his projectile game wins mine. And a character that forces greninja to approach is already putting him in not such a great position.
Might be me though, it's just that for the ones I fought, I felt like the matchup was hard as hell. (and I fought some of the best diddy, fox sheik etc available in France... The ROB felt much harder to deal with to me. Mainly because nair and jab approach didn't work very well and that I couldnt deal properly with the projectiles. Again, that might be my playstyle that wasn't adapted. I just felt like the matchup was horrible.
From my experience playing some of the R.O.B. in this region (we have Mister Eric and BoScotty), taking the top (and always being super wary of it) is extremely important. If you have the top, camping him with shurikens becomes a lot more effective, but I also find that throwing the top upward and trying to space him out with Fair also works really well. Shurikens are notable that they can sometimes bait R.O.B.'s into side-B, which we can run into, shield, and get a free Fsmash out of. We have to play a bit riskier with R.O.B. than most characters because he still does force an approach at times. I feel it's best to try and play a punish and zoning game with him rather than being directly offensive or defensive. Also, R.O.B. is a character where Greninja's need for a lead is exaggerated. Without a lead, Greninja greatly struggles due to having a hard time getting in, but with the lead, Greninja keeps out R.O.B. super well. Also, when R.O.B. is in the air, jumping and throwing out Uairs to juggle is a surprisingly safe strategy given how floaty he is.

I pretty much agree with you here, and I also think that he has a lot to offer and has a high skill ceiling and I remain in love with the froggy. (though I still consider him a solid mid :p)
Outside of the "solid mid" line, which we can agree to disagree on lol, yep. One of the most rewarding things I've found from playing Greninja is having people come up to me and say they enjoyed watching my Greninja. It's a complete 180 from when I played Olimar in Brawl, haha. Gotta get out there and try and inspire more people to play Greninja (we already have two others besides me in KY!).

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
Yeah honestly I feel like if I lose the first stock it's game over cause I tend to overcommit and get damage tacked on fast before I can get an edge guarding situation or smash attack or kill set up. Tons of times, it has been even, 100% to 100% and I lose first stock and get 2 stocked which they only took another 50 or so percent, but really this only happens when I verse a much better player, and I tend to play friendlies with better players a lot.

I feel like Greninja benefits from both rush down and zoning, and combining the two is fantastic. Rushing down when you need to, zoning in neutral when you have the lead, stuff like that. I tend to be stupid and rush down more than I need to though, when I should play a more zoning game at points. I can agree completely that you can go Greninja against the top tiers although Sheik is a tough one. I don't have any other characters and so I go up against any character. I definitely think he can beat sheiks and fox's no character just straight up forces you to switch characters, in my opinion. When sheik can't get the kill that's huge for greninja and is really what gets him a win a lot of the time, smart fox's I find harder, because if they use shield correctly and cover landing with dash attack it's a pain, I think Greninja wins offstage? But fox beats him pretty hard onstage

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
There's no way Greninja bouncing off the wall with Hydro Pump is a glitch. Pac-Man does the same thing with his Side-B and they both have animations specifically made for that situation, it's obviously intended.

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
Yoshi has pretty much no kill setups and his grab is a tether. The biggest problem with Yoshi is his N-Air and very disruptive eggs, as well as his dash attack, but overall as long as you can keep him at bay Greninja shouldn't have too much of a problem with him.

Abuse disjoints to keep Yoshi away, he's going to rely on reads in order to get a kill so don't get too predictable and punish him when he whiffs a Smash. For some reason Yoshi feels easier to hit with Up-Smash than most characters, same with Ness, that might be just me though. Shurikens can also help force Yoshi to come after you sometimes.

I have one match where I survived until 190% against a Yoshi and I think I only didn't live longer because I killed him before he could land anything else on me.

Can't see the MU being any worse than even for Greninja.
Probably because every ness and yoshi think it's a swell idea to rise above the ledge with a fair or something or just rise above the ledge, and you probably punish it with f smashes, also they are a little floaty

Top Bottom