• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pond - Greninja General Discussion

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Sorry, that link doesn't seem to work for me on my mobile. Can anyone from that group please add me and invite me to the group? Skype ID is ammar.a.baig

ArhyLis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AstralRaptor
3DS FC
5069-4138-6092
I sometimes feel like the F-Tilt buff did so much to Greninja.

Seith

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know of a good secondary to have with Greninja? I've been best with Pikachu, Roy and Diddy lately. I just can't single out a good character for my secondary

Last edited:

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Does anyone know of a good secondary to have with Greninja? I've been best with Pikachu, Roy and Diddy lately. I just can't single out a good character for my secondary
Probably Pikachu. Diddy was nerfed to death and Roy's metagame isn't developed enough to really tell if he's a great pick yet (though he does look SUPER GOOD right now.)

ArhyLis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AstralRaptor
3DS FC
5069-4138-6092
Gah, I just fought a Roy as Greninja, and I got demolished. Nothing else will make you feel like a fraud after getting your shield broken and KO'ed by a fully charged flame sword at ZERO PERCENT! Halp.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Gah, I just fought a Roy as Greninja, and I got demolished. Nothing else will make you feel like a fraud after getting your shield broken and KO'ed by a fully charged flame sword at ZERO PERCENT! Halp.
You do it for him :4greninja:
And you would do it again
You do it for her, that is to say
You'll do it for him​
Ouch.
Keep your stance wide
Keep your body lowered
As you're moving forward
Balance is the key​
Unfortunately, I haven't really fought any Roys as Greninja, so I can't really say much.
Right foot; left foot
Now go even faster
And as you're moving backwards
Keep your eyes on Roy​
Or well, Roy's in general.
[Player 2] Keep my stance wide (Good)
Keep my body lowered (Right)
As I'm moving forward (Concentrate!)
[Player 1] Don't you want :4greninja: to live!?​
Hmmm. The fact that we don't have that many good OOS options makes it harder to punish his short hop nairs...
[Player 2] Right foot; left foot
[Player 1] Yes, but put your whole body into it!
Everything you have, everything you are
You've got to give

On the battlefield
When everything is chaos
And you have nothing but the way you feel your strategy and a (water)sword
You just think about the life you'll have together after the war​
Not sure how well baiting approach with water shuriken harassment would work out.
And then you do it for :4greninja:
That's how you know you can win
You do it for :4greninja:, that is to say
You'll do it for :4greninja:
Really, I guess you'd just need to get up in his face and not give him breathing room.
Deep down you know
You aren't the highest tiered
But that doesn't mean
You're not prepared to try​
I mean, what else does he have that comes out quick other than his nair?
What they don't know
Is your real advantage
When you live for someone
You're - prepared to die​
That, and respect his kill power.
[Player 2] Deep down I know
That I'm just a frog (True)
But I know that I can draw my sword and fight
(But you know that you can draw your sword and fight)

With my short two stocks (Good)
I can make a difference (Yes, excellent!)
I can be there for :4greninja:
I can be his knight​
Seriously, just one fsmash at ledge at mid percents is already kill percent.
I can do it for :4greninja:
[Both] You'd do it for :4greninja:
[Player 1] Okay, now do that again (Yes, ma'am.)
You do it for :4greninja:, and now you say:
[Player 2] I'll do it for :4greninja:
Also! Roy is a fast faller, so take that as you will.
I totally didn't just see your profile picture and then really crappily edit a SU song. Totes.
But yeah, the fact that your shield got broken as Greninja is BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD. Shield less! Focus more on being mobile, especially with Greninja. You can't afford to shield much cause of our poor OOS options. Stay mobile, harass when you're out of their range, and bait and punish attacks.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
You'll do it for him​
Ouch.
Keep your stance wide
Keep your body lowered
As you're moving forward
Balance is the key​
Unfortunately, I haven't really fought any Roys as Greninja, so I can't really say much.
Right foot; left foot
Now go even faster
Keep your eyes on Roy​
Hmmm. The fact that we don't have that many good OOS options makes it harder to punish his short hop nairs...
You've got to give

On the battlefield
When everything is chaos
Not sure how well baiting approach with water shuriken harassment would work out.
Really, I guess you'd just need to get up in his face and not give him breathing room.
Deep down you know
But that doesn't mean
What they don't know
Is your real advantage

I can be his knight​
I totally didn't just see your profile picture and then really crappily edit a SU song. Totes.
But yeah, the fact that your shield got broken as Greninja is BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD. Shield less! Focus more on being mobile, especially with Greninja. You can't afford to shield much cause of our poor OOS options. Stay mobile, harass when you're out of their range, and bait and punish attacks.
What the hell is going on in this post.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
What the hell is going on in this post.
A sad attempt at a post that stays on topic while also posting slightly edited lyrics of a SU song that were aligned to the left to try and not to intrude the actual on-topic things.

edit

edit
it's from
videos like this make my frog heart go doki doki

Last edited:

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I have a hard time finding Greninja vids to study. Are there any players that have videos of them playing matches consistently? It seems all the ones I find are months old.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I've been having a lot of people talk to me out of nowhere because of my current status in the ladder as if it actually meant something lol.

I also had a lot of aspiring Greninja players ask me for advice and to play with them and all and I'm like "Wheeelp."

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
I've been having a lot of people talk to me out of nowhere because of my current status in the ladder as if it actually meant something lol.

I also had a lot of aspiring Greninja players ask me for advice and to play with them and all and I'm like "Wheeelp."
You're famooooooooose.

Holy hell. I just SDed in a match cause I mean to do a bair but did a dair instead. :s What a not-fun experience. xC

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I just remembered I wanted to check if a Greninja I fought on FG the other day is in here somewhere. I don't remember their name, but a couple of days ago they would have fought a hibiscus Jigglypuff for like an hour+, going by Drake. They were pretty fun to play with.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
I think I've stalled at Greninja. Busy playing Lucas but even before that, haven't really done anything new for a month.

D

Deleted member

While practicing in Training mode, I've noticed that the second Nair -> Footstool -> Dair before the Nair -> Usmash isn't guaranteed on at least some characters since they can DI after the footstool. Do I have to get the sourspot Nair to guarantee a footstool by hitting with the edge somehow (which I'm really bad at after the Dair lock), or is there a different optimal punish out of the first Nair? Maybe Perfect Pivot Utilt -> Falling Uair a bunch of times?

EDIT: Thanks @ momochuu momochuu , I'll try to speed it up on the floaties that I'm struggling with.

Another way I've found that can reliably setup for a jab lock besides Nair is Bair at low percents. Even at 0, the last hit of Bair sends the opponent at a really bad angle and gives the opponent little time to tech. If they miss the tech, you can walk/perfect pivot into a (downwards) Ftilt to jab lock and then do whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
While practicing in Training mode, I've noticed that the second Nair -> Footstool -> Dair before the Nair -> Usmash isn't guaranteed on at least some characters since they can DI after the footstool. Do I have to get the sourspot Nair to guarantee a footstool by hitting with the edge somehow (which I'm really bad at after the Dair lock), or is there a different optimal punish out of the first Nair? Maybe Perfect Pivot Utilt -> Falling Uair a bunch of times?
you're doing the footstool too late.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
*cough, cough* Haven't played this character in forever and I feel so dusty with him now.... *cough, wheeeze* Been having too much success with the Super *cough* Fighting Robot, :4megaman: in my tournaments lately and I barely come to these boards. Used to main Greninja my- *cough* self, but after a couple of months he's now taken a back seat behind Mega Man and I haven't played him all that much recently. But just a- *cough, wheeze* Ahem, I mean just awhile ago after playing against other Mega Men, I've at last come to my senses and revisited the master of stealth, now I've gotten back to playing him. Even thoug The Blue Bomber is my new main, I ironically find him real annoying to fight against and I usually have a tough time. But doing Dittos.... ooh the dittos.... I for one think Mega Man dittos are from hell and I can't stand playing them, I almost always prefer switching to someone else rather than do this MU, and using Greninja has made it much more tolerable. One player in my state, who is also a great Mega Man and is debatably the best one we have (alongside myself), has came to me and told me he's heard that I play the character and that Gren gives him a harder time than anyone else and that he wanted to play me to get some MU practice. I was getting beaten badly at first, but I eventually adapted and turned the tables by getting more patient and walking instead of dashing, and I even got a funny kill from around 17 percent when we both bounced off his Rush Coil/UpB near the ceiling of Town & City and I used Up Air. When we we're done, he told me my Greninja was 'too good' and thanked me for the games, and I was pretty happy about that. Been using Greninja a lot more often since then, and a few days ago in a tournament I was in a close set with one of my state's PR Members who plays :4jigglypuff: after I lost with Rosalina; I was close to killing him and taking a game and I used Down Smash aganst him from a read of his roll, but he used Rest and its startup invincibility saved him from my Dsmash and blew me up. It was a loss, but it was close and I'm still content with it.

My Greninja is back, and I hope to make it even better than ever this time. So Hi again, guys

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
You'll do it for him​
Ouch.
Keep your stance wide
Keep your body lowered
As you're moving forward
Balance is the key​
Right foot; left foot
Now go even faster
Keep your eyes on Roy​
You've got to give

On the battlefield
When everything is chaos
Deep down you know
But that doesn't mean
What they don't know
Is your real advantage

I can be his knight​
I just came to the Greninja boards to say I have mad respect for anybody who mains Greninja in Smash 4, and I see this. I'm laughing SO hard right now, this is amazing. Oh my god. I had to pull up the instrumental version of this song and play it as I read this.

Legit though, in previous games all my respect went towards Marth mains for some reason. Here, it's Greninja. Marth isn't as exciting to watch in vanilla Smash 4 because he was nerfed into oblivion (although the buffs helped him a lot). Greninja is amazingly amazing to watch and he seems to be actually good, so he's the character I'm currently rooting for. I still have mad respect for anybody who mains a Fire Emblem character, they're cool, but Greninja is the real MVP in Smash 4.

Also, I decided to mess with Pokémon Showdown today and this was the result.
I'M DYING OMG LOL

GUYS YOU'RE KILLING MEEEEEEEEEEEEE

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
I just came to the Greninja boards to say I have mad respect for anybody who mains Greninja in Smash 4, and I see this. I'm laughing SO hard right now, this is amazing. Oh my god. I had to pull up the instrumental version of this song and play it as I read this.

Legit though, in previous games all my respect went towards Marth mains for some reason. Here, it's Greninja. Marth isn't as exciting to watch in vanilla Smash 4 because he was nerfed into oblivion (although the buffs helped him a lot). Greninja is amazingly amazing to watch and he seems to be actually good, so he's the character I'm currently rooting for. I still have mad respect for anybody who mains a Fire Emblem character, they're cool, but Greninja is the real MVP in Smash 4.

I'M DYING OMG LOL

GUYS YOU'RE KILLING MEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Noooo. Dying is a bad, stop it.

Seith

Smash Cadet
How do I fight Link with Greninja Dx He and Little Mac are literally the only characters I can't fight worth a dang with Greninja

Last edited:

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
How do I fight Link with Greninja Dx He and Little Mac are literally the only characters I can't fight worth a dang with Greninja
Power shield projectiles and punish with dash grab, don't roll into jabs, try not to let him recover for free. You can't play the usual short hop everywhere and try to land neutral air/ forward air strategy.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
aahah, FullMoon, that double flinch on Genesect actually made me laugh out loud. Beautiful.
Pragmatism at its finest.

But seriously in all matches I played with the Squad I got Dark Pulse to flinch-lock people. It's like it had a 60% flinch chance or something lol.

Fun fact I actually do have that team on my X game. Extra fun fact is that I created a whole story for them that I only didn't write because I'm lazy.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Pragmatism at its finest.

But seriously in all matches I played with the Squad I got Dark Pulse to flinch-lock people. It's like it had a 60% flinch chance or something lol.

Fun fact I actually do have that team on my X game. Extra fun fact is that I created a whole story for them that I only didn't write because I'm lazy.
Darn it, give details on said story, FullMoon. I wanna knooooooooooooooow.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Darn it, give details on said story, FullMoon. I wanna knooooooooooooooow.
Basically when one of the Greninja (Teishi, aka, my tag in Sm4sh, aka, the nickname of the Greninja I used my first run through X) was abandoned as Froakie by his dad (Sensei, aka, the shiny Greninja) for months after he left to take care of something but never came back. After those months passed with the kid waiting at the same spotfor his return, a young girl finds him and gets along with him, eventually having him join her team.

Travelling with the girl he ends up finding three lonely Froakie along the way and becomes friends with them and asks them to join him, however the girl didn't want to raise more than one Froakie, but it doesn't take long for her to cave in and allow them to come along, although they remain wild as they're never formally captured.

The group of Froakie grows strong, eventually becoming fully evolved Greninja and they all got along very well and even the wild ones eventually bonded with the trainer, who spent a lot of time doing various activities with them and the rest of her team.

One day while the girl was busy and left her team to their own devices, the group of Greninja spotted what seemed to be an ongoing crime and by working together they succesfully put a stop to it. After seeing the victim's gratitude for their help, the quartet become interested and playing the part of heroes.

Not wanting to get Teishi's trainer to be put in danger because of them, they all decide to only look around in search for any shady business at night while she is asleep and return before she wakes up.

With that, they basically become a group of elusive heroes, many times with not even the people they're helping knowing who they are, after all, they are a quartet of ninja and masters of stealth, all while the leader tries to prevent his trainer and other teammates from knowing.

Basically it's a superhero story with Pokémon, ninjas, and ninjas that are Pokémon.

I'm a writer myself so I often come up with stuff like that out of a whim, I have tons upon tons of ideas I never really put on paper.

I'm also a member of TV Tropes so I know pretty much all tropes I employ in my ideas in regards to characters, plot, etc.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Basically when one of the Greninja (Teishi, aka, my tag in Sm4sh, aka, the nickname of the Greninja I used my first run through X) was abandoned as Froakie by his dad (Sensei, aka, the shiny Greninja) for months after he left to take care of something but never came back. After those months passed with the kid waiting at the same spotfor his return, a young girl finds him and gets along with him, eventually having him join her team.

Travelling with the girl he ends up finding three lonely Froakie along the way and becomes friends with them and asks them to join him, however the girl didn't want to raise more than one Froakie, but it doesn't take long for her to cave in and allow them to come along, although they remain wild as they're never formally captured.

The group of Froakie grows strong, eventually becoming fully evolved Greninja and they all got along very well and even the wild ones eventually bonded with the trainer, who spent a lot of time doing various activities with them and the rest of her team.

One day while the girl was busy and left her team to their own devices, the group of Greninja spotted what seemed to be an ongoing crime and by working together they succesfully put a stop to it. After seeing the victim's gratitude for their help, the quartet become interested and playing the part of heroes.

Not wanting to get Teishi's trainer to be put in danger because of them, they all decide to only look around in search for any shady business at night while she is asleep and return before she wakes up.

With that, they basically become a group of elusive heroes, many times with not even the people they're helping knowing who they are, after all, they are a quartet of ninja and masters of stealth, all while the leader tries to prevent his trainer and other teammates from knowing.

Basically it's a superhero story with Pokémon, ninjas, and ninjas that are Pokémon.

I'm a writer myself so I often come up with stuff like that out of a whim, I have tons upon tons of ideas I never really put on paper.

I'm also a member of TV Tropes so I know pretty much all tropes I employ in my ideas in regards to characters, plot, etc.
Ooooooooooooooooooh. That sounds very interesting indeed! ;0

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
It's easy to come up with ideas to write, a little harder to get started writing, and almost impossible to implement them into a complete story exactly the way you imagined.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Not really, I'm writing a Pokémon fanfic myself right now that still has just begun but I already have the entire thing planned and when everything is going to happen.

I might have to leave a few things out just to not clutter everything up, but ultimately I don't think I'll have trouble implementing them the way I want.

Top Bottom