• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Power of a Community Part Three: How to Grow

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
The third and final post, and hopefully the one that will actually hit home to some.

My first two posts dealt with how the community grew and how it stayed together, and only briefly touched on where it's headed. I believe this to be the most serious issue in competitive smash. Not the camping. Not the stages, not the characters, not the game itself, but the community.

The community has been torn to shreds. If you don't think so, stop and take a look. Go through every thread and try to find the number of posters who aren't adamantly on some side of an argument, or obsessively pro-this or anti-that. See how many of them are actually respected posters, melee pros, or even just longtime members. You'll find that they are far and few between.

Some of you who are new to smash's competitive scene--not necessarily new to smash--don't understand the significance of this.

We, as a community, took melee and forged it into something. We took a party game and developed a serious following, enough to land spots on professional gaming circuits. We didn't do it on the forum. We did it in person, in people's basements, in university game rooms. It was done in game stores and friend's houses. It was done alone, or with hundreds of people. The forum helped, but didn't even scratch the depth we reached in the game by having an in-person community... much like the arcade games of old.

Now look at where we are. We're trying to dictate a game's competitive future on forums and through internet discussion. We're bickering and arguing, the old and the new, everyone at everyone's throats, because we are not a community. This forum has been reduced to individuals.

If things continue this way for two, three months... Smash as a competitive game will die. Melee and Brawl together. You'll see the occasional underground tourney, but it won't be too long until those whither. There will always be Smash tourneys of some sort, but no longer will there be "pros" and respected members.

You may think I'm exaggerating. But all of the respected melee players became respected in person, not on the forums. Gimpyfish didn't show up and say "I play Boozer good," he beat people with Bowser. Ken and Bombsoldier didn't come on the forum and say "Itemz aren't good because their random," they played in person and realized this and discussed it and tested it.

And now we're trying to make online leagues and special tourneys and giant modifications to a game that doesn't have a community, no matter what people think.

Homeowners Associations often exist to help set and enforce rules on a community while providing benefits. Their purpose is to better the community by setting lawn care standards, neighborhood watches, etc. The effective HOAs are the ones in which the community gets together, talks, shares experiences, and settles on something at the end of the day. Not everyone gets what they want, but they have a voice and a chance to defend themselves.

The ineffective HOAs send anonymous letters to people living within the community, often with threats of legal action. Even if they're enforcing the same rules as an effective HOA, they're guaranteed to meet with disapproval and anger. These HOAs fall apart.

We have a lot of new members to smashboards. This is good. But they are not new members of the community yet. Before posting your opinions, before arguing, before trying to set standards... get out with groups of people. Smash with people you haven't played before. Not on Wifi. In person. Here's a quick and easy list of ways to do this:

1. Look on the regional boards to find a nearby tourney. This site was initially a networking site, and still is. This is a good way to play people who are better--or simply play differently--than you.

2. Find an official "Your Place" thread. Use this to find people who live right down the street from you, and try to meet up with them. Order pizza and smash til dawn.

3. Host a tournament yourself. This is easier than you think. If you're in college, just go to the activities board and ask to use a room of some sort. Post a tourney planning thread in the regional zone forum, and get people to bring TVs and Wiis and games. Set your own rules. Set entry fees, and then use them as the winnings. Do research first for suggestions on smoothly bracketing the whole ordeal.

It is out of this experience that the new community will form. Not experience vs. computers, not your testing, not even smashing with your crew.

I hope that this community, which has so long felt like home to me and many others, is not destroyed.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
and it wont, however it might shrink down to 64 levels if this continues but even so it will continue to live on and flourish in it's own way.

I'm going to say to you what I've said to everyone else I know who use to play melee "Give brawl a year before making up your mind on anything". Brawl is still too new to say anything about it or even about its community. Sure right now we might be broken up a bit on some subjects but over time are options and differences will fade away, all we need is time and more techs :3

VulgarHandGestures

Smash Journeyman
i find it ironic that one of the posters i've seen crusading against brawl THE MOST is making this thread...

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
i find it ironic that one of the posters i've seen crusading against brawl THE MOST is making this thread...
I'm incredibly pro-brawl. It's the most fun I've had playing a party game in a long, long time. It's currently tied with Rock Band for that position.

As for my views on the competitive scene... well, consider this my goodbye thread. I'll stop in again from time to time, but the forums have become tiresome and unproductive. Good luck to all.

SiD

Smash Master
Regardless of that, his post is so very true. Your response kinda proves what he was talking about I think. Ever heard the saying "Do as I say, not as I do?"

This thread is good advice. I hope we can all learn something from it.

Tofu Beast

Smash Ace
Where is everyone?

I was predicting this to be a popular thread..........

I guess thier all looking at that thread about that guy that wants brawl to fail.............

JugaBro

Smash Cadet
There is a split, I suppose, but realy the reason the game is dwindling is because of its lack of competitive nature. Yes, giving more time is good, I'd just have fun hosting some Brawl tournies with friends, and playing wifi battles and whatnot.

Aerozeke

Smash Cadet
/v/ hates us, GameFAQs hates us... and for a while, I hated this place too. Well, I still do.

Yet I'm still here.

I don't know what else to say.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Before brawl was ever released it was pretty obvious these forums were going to tear themselves to shreds.You could feel the tension growing with every *insert blah blah blah here* for brawl thread.

Mann

Smash Ace
Where is everyone?

I guess thier all looking at that thread about that guy that wants brawl to fail.............
Because this guy made 2 other threads that should be one, and there are lots of other threads going around.

This game barely came out and people are making too much fuss about it.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Because this guy made 2 other threads that should be one, and there are lots of other threads going around.

This game barely came out and people are making too much fuss about it.
He does have pretty nice views though.

D

Deleted member

I believe in the community to grow and succeed. Just think about all the people that have brawl; that is the true community of the game, not smash boards. Ultimately, those millions of people who bought the game will decide it's future.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Where is everyone?

I'm sure "tl;dr" had something to do with it.

Besides, if all of these had been in a single thread I doubt many people at all would have read it, regardless of how well thought-out and correct his points are.

People would rather read "Which character is best?" than something like this, which is pretty sad.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
This is probably the single best post on these forums in the last several months. I've gained a whole mountain of respect for you, almightypancake.

To those of you who posted 'lol anti-Brawl guy'... For shame. Although he may have questioned Brawl's competitiveness, he has a point when he says that in order for Brawl to have a competitive side, someone, SOMEWHERE is going to have to step up, create, innovate, and most important of all, HOST, a truly competitive BRAWL TOURNAMENT.

That means, getting up, turning the computer off, setting down the Cheetos, and playing Brawl competitively with OTHER COMPETITIVE PEOPLE in a REAL COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT. If you want a Brawl Scene, you're going to have to CREATE one. No one, certainly not any Melee Veterans(or very few) are going to give you that. You can't force your way into the Melee Scene and dictate to everyone that they must play Brawl simply because its there.

You're going to have to PROVE to all the haters that Brawl has the stuff to be competitive. Maybe not as competitive as Melee, maybe more, who knows? All I know is that someone is going to have to get ****ing amazing at this game, rock some tourneys, go on an unbeaten streak, and maybe put out an awesome vid or two to show everyone, including the Pro-Melee'ers that Brawl is real.

So go. NOW. And unleash your potential on Brawl. Or not. It's all up to you new guys, I'm too old for this ****...

Mann

Smash Ace
People are rushing instead of being patient. Times change, and we'll all witness how his is going to be for the upcoming years. One of the main problems right now is the the amount of 'Brawl Central.' It's not just the smashboards community that's facing some challenges in itself.

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
The overall assumptions that were made in the first few weeks of Brawl's release hurt Brawl's reputation pretty badly, I might add. Only Japanese players and importers were able to get Brawl, and seemed to jump to conclusions as to the "eventual competitiveness or lack thereof" and those of us who did not have the game took that at face value.

"OH NO ADVANCED TECHS?"

People seem to forget that the advance techs didn't even start popping up until 2004-2005 or so. That was THREE YEARS into Melee's lifetime. I predict the following:

-Brawl's competitive scene will implode if everyone keeps being so anti-Brawl. I suggest to counter this, PLAY the game. Study it. Eventually, new techniques will be found out, and as a result, Brawl will flourish. GIVE IT TIME.
-Do NOT play Brawl as if it were Melee 2.0, no matter how much it might feel like it seems. Brawl is entirely new, and comparing it to Melee is BAD, especially so early in its lifespan. Forget everything you know about Melee if you're going to play Brawl.

Mann

Smash Ace
People seem to forget that the advance techs didn't even start popping up until 2004-2005 or so. That was THREE YEARS into Melee's lifetime. I predict the following:
This has already been talked about. How many people do you think are playing Brawl right now? And how many people did you think played Melee at that time? If you noticed in the Tactical discussion, these techniques have been racking up in that section.

The more people keep trying to raise up a point here on the boards, the more we get to see conflicts of ideas and thoughts.

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
This has already been talked about. How many people do you think are playing Brawl right now? And how many people did you think played Melee at that time? If you noticed in the Tactical discussion, these techniques have been racking up in that section.

The more people keep trying to raise up a point here on the boards, the more we get to see conflicts of ideas and thoughts.
That is true. But sadly, all I seem to be seeing in the General Brawl is nothing but complaining, and it's really making me depressed that people can't just toss their keyboards aside and grab their GCN controllers to play the game.

Top Bottom