• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The problem with Melee

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
If you continue working on Melee for a month, you'd be pretty good already.

I started as a spam-up-b n00b with Link and would always lose by 3-stock. I started getting into this side of smash in Dec 2007 and by Christmas of that same month at a party, I was 4-stocking friends.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
LOL, and this thread is going to hades in a handbasket, ROFL. Advancing metagame of Brawl doesn't scare me one bit, lol. What DOES scare me is how people get so upset when people play gay in Brawl, ROFL. *coughs* I would get back on topic, but I forgot where the topic was.

Oh yeah....something about old vs. new and which is easier to get into. I was thinking about getting into Brawl, 'cuz of LK. His stance on competitive Brawl got me to thinking. Then after seeing how people John about someone playing gay and spamming....it's worse than Melee. That's the kind of stuff I just don't want. Brawl people need to chill on that, lol.

I'm being light-hearted about this, but Brawl people would end up scaring off more noobs than Melee. It's simply due to the fact that in Melee, you can punish silly stuff and not really worry too much about it. When it comes to Brawl....it's SUPER hard to do. It's almost not worth the effort. Give Brawl a few more years when there can be a definite line between dedication and causual, then I'm sure the whole which sucks more dispute will fail epic.

Oh yeah, I find the most enjoyment in Brawl when I play with people who could care less either way about being competitive....or with NY smashers, 'cuz they're mad cool. I don't want to get competitive...but I don't want to deal with noobish gayness, either. I'm just someone who wants to be in the middle. That takes effort for some odd reason...and I don't want to put that kind of effort into a game if people are gonna be ballz crazy about it. (I mean they tried their hardest to make the game NOT competitive. Yet they get more worked up over it than melee.) I'm sure my attitude will change once I realize I need to practice at most a half an hour every month in order to keep up.

"Crank that Roy"
"Gimpin' is a Habit"

FIISHHER

Smash Cadet
i had to start competitive melee with the metagame as it is now. but im getting hell of a lot better. (started at the beginning of summer) i just really have to learn how to use l-cancel in my game

Ojanya

Smash Ace
Many hardcore Melee vets hate Brawl's community. I'm not a big fan of it, either, but the thing about it is that fact that it is currently next to impossible to join the Melee community as a new player. The metagame is so advanced that if someone were to try to join, they would have so much to learn about how to be successful in the competitive scene that it would be almost impossible.

That is the appeal of Brawl; it's new and different. Someone can easily go to a tournament and have a chance because everyone is in the same place as them. Brawl started new again at square one, while Melee is currently hundreds of paces ahead.

P.S. This may sound odd for the first post in a thread, but knowing the mods of the Melee boards.... inb4lock
The problem isn't with Melee, it's with the people. You could easily learn Melee in six months putting in 1-2 hours a week. Not to a competitive winning standard, but enough to enter tournaments and advance yourself from there.

Skler

Smash Master
I will spam anti brawl until this thread gets hate****ed to hot topic hell.
I SHALL HELP YOU!.

Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate**** Hate****

Die thread, die.

P.S. I love KevinM.

Desh.

Smash Lord
Now, do I close this because it's got a taste of melee vs brawl, or do I leave it open because it's a valid thread about Melee being old?

First to three votes: Open or close?
I think you just compared melee to brawl, shouldnt you get spam infractions?:laugh:
Its obvious when you say melee is old you mean it comparatively to brawl.
Imo I think we have a biased brawl loving mod in these melee forums. :laugh:
I lol'd when you made discussing differences between games taboo.
<3
But seriously there is no problem with melee. I think its more "your" problem.
Its a great competitive game regardless of date of release. (Not to mention how bloody dumb you would have to be to even imply a game is better/worse than another because its old/new)

Overload

Smash Lord
I think the thread title should be changed to: "The problem with people who are too lazy to practice melee"
no?

rhan

Smash Hero
Yeah...I just read this page of the thread...How come it isn't closed? I mean it's just another "Brawl vs Melee" debate. All these threads lead to is spam and flaming. Close thread please?

Banks

Smash Hero
if you are good at brawl you can be good at melee, you just need to learn the technical stuff which isn't hard after a few months tops of using them in games vs competent players

the harder part about being good in melee is being smart, which has nothing to do with being technical. Experience is the main thing that will make you a smarter player so all you have to do is find people to play

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Its obvious when you say melee is old you mean it comparatively to brawl.
No, I mean in comparative to time. Melee is seven years old.

(Not to mention how bloody dumb you would have to be to even imply a game is better/worse than another because its old/new)
No one said it was bad because it was old, just it's harder for people who are new to the game to get into it. I know it'd be impossible for me to get into starcraft because of how long it's metagame's existed.

I mean it's just another "Brawl vs Melee" debate
Actually it was just discussing how hard it is for newcomers to Melee to play competativly due to everyone else having years of metagames, making it hard for someone new.

But as I predicted, the threads become stupid. People would rather try and score points against "teh evil hipocritical mod" then actually, I dunno, discus Melee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom