• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The question thread.

Mari

Saving the planet from disaster!
Will Sonic EVER be restored to his former glory?

I mean, Sonic Generations got a pretty lukewarm feedback from various reviews...and Sega said that they have some new Sonic games in the future, possibly a Sonic Adventure 3 or another Sonic Chronicles installment...or another Sonic 4 episode.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I hate carrying around my wallet, it's so bulky. I got a case for my phone that holds a credit card. now about my drivers license... if I take a picture of it with my iPhone will it still count?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I hate carrying around my wallet, it's so bulky. I got a case for my phone that holds a credit card. now about my drivers license... if I take a picture of it with my iPhone will it still count?
No, I can guarantee it.

Also taking a picture of your credit card will also not count

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Well I mean it obviously wouldn't count to buy alcohol, but if I got pulled over when driving?

If not I guess I could just leave it in the car where the insurance info is....

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well I mean it obviously wouldn't count to buy alcohol, but if I got pulled over when driving?

If not I guess I could just leave it in the car where the insurance info is....
I wasn't talking about just alchol. There is no one that would except a picture of an id...

Especially since ID's can be modified easily in digital format

Vale

Smash Ace
Sorry if this isn't the right place for it, but I couldn't seem to find a better place for general questions.
Does anyone know what happened to that "The Last Tier Wars" series by SDM back in 2007? My own research found the transcripts for episodes 2-8, but that seems to end a few episodes before the climax. Were these made into videos? Were the transcripts for other episodes ever posted?
~~Thank you for your time.

fums63

Smash Apprentice
I had a lot of fun hyping Brawl. In retrospect, it's actually ridiculous how obsessed I was. But there was something magical about my 13-year-old self waking up to a Dojo update before I discussed it with my friend on the way to school. I ended up learning such an absurd amount about the game, constantly reading the Gamefaqs topics and finding the easter eggs in whatever short gameplay clips were revealed. In a way, the hype was more fun than the game itself.

But now I wanna try the opposite approach. What if I don't watch a single trailer before this game comes out? What if I boot up the game day 1 and can be awed by the character select screen alone? What if when the Challenger Approaching silhouette appears, I actually have to figure out for myself who it is? I think I'd be blown away.

The main problem is just that I'm not sure how to block out new information for something as popular as Super Smash Bros. How can I keep up with other gaming news without exposing myself to this one?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I had a lot of fun hyping Brawl. In retrospect, it's actually ridiculous how obsessed I was. But there was something magical about my 13-year-old self waking up to a Dojo update before I discussed it with my friend on the way to school. I ended up learning such an absurd amount about the game, constantly reading the Gamefaqs topics and finding the easter eggs in whatever short gameplay clips were revealed. In a way, the hype was more fun than the game itself.

But now I wanna try the opposite approach. What if I don't watch a single trailer before this game comes out? What if I boot up the game day 1 and can be awed by the character select screen alone? What if when the Challenger Approaching silhouette appears, I actually have to figure out for myself who it is? I think I'd be blown away.

The main problem is just that I'm not sure how to block out new information for something as popular as Super Smash Bros. How can I keep up with other gaming news without exposing myself to this one?
I think, unless you completely cut off your internet use, you'll probably see or hear a few spoilers. I myself want to do the same for the upcoming 3DS Pokemon. So, avoid places where Smash is the predominant subject (here), avoid visiting news sites that would post Dojo updates, and somehow avoid any marketing Nintendo does for it (these are the spoilers that I see as almost unavoidable).

in the short term I would say be cautious around E3 and NIntendo Directs as some sort of Smash info is going to be revealed soon and this site will blow up as a result.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Use collapse IT'S the new spoiler

Insert Text Here

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Oh .-.

omg spoilerz

Just in case he doesn't know how to do that, it's [ collapse] *text goes here* [ /collapse] but without the spaces

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Silly question but... it's a general English question.

If I wanted to ask verbally, in ranking, which # president George Washington was, how would I ask that?

Something along the lines of... George Washington was the __________ president of the USA? Obviously you can't actually say that verbally so I'm at a loss. Other languages can ask these kinds of questions with ease.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I have no idea what that means. Why can't you ask that verbally? What does asking something verbally mean?

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Verbally as in communicating by voice as opposed to text. It's hard to explain because I can't think of how I would ask that in English.

I'm asking how to ask somebody (without text) the ranking of something.

For example:

Question: Ranking in ascending order from oldest to newest, what rank would George Washington be in terms of presidency? (Obviously, I would not like to phrase my question like that)

Answer: George Washington was the first president of the USA.

Another example:

Imagine there is a family of 5 children. If I wanted to ask how John ranks out of the five in terms of age, how could I ask that in a simple sentence?

Answer: John is the 2nd oldest out of all the children.

Near²

Banned via Warnings

If I wanted to ask verbally, in ranking, which # president George Washington was, how would I ask that?

Something along the lines of... George Washington was the __________ president of the USA? Obviously you can't actually say that verbally so I'm at a loss. Other languages can ask these kinds of questions with ease.
Verbally as in communicating by voice as opposed to text. It's hard to explain because I can't think of how I would ask that in English.

I'm asking how to ask somebody (without text) the ranking of something.

For example:

Question: Ranking in ascending order from oldest to newest, what rank would George Washington be in terms of presidency? (Obviously, I would not like to phrase my question like that)

Answer: George Washington was the first president of the USA.

Another example:

Imagine there is a family of 5 children. If I wanted to ask how John ranks out of the five in terms of age, how could I ask that in a simple sentence?

Answer: John is the 2nd oldest out of all the children.
Writing is not different from speech. What you are talking about is being able visualize these rankings. And actually, the correct answer to your original question would be:

George Washington would be/is the oldest.

If you wanted to ask who is the second oldest out of the 5 children, you simply say:

Which of the 5 children is the second oldest?

John is.

If there are 4 children, and I wanted to ask someone to rank them from oldest to youngest, then I would say this:

Context: Two women are catching up, and the topic of kids is brought up

Woman 1: You have 4 children? Can you tell me who they are from oldest to youngest?

Woman 2: That is correct. John is the oldest, Jonathan is the second oldest, Johnny is the third oldest, and Jon is the youngest.

If you have 5 children, then you add a middle child, which changes the wording:

John is the oldest, Jonathan is the second oldest, Johnny is the middle (child), Jon is the second youngest, and Jenny is the youngest.

Can you post a question in a language where these types of questions are supposedly easy? I think if you ask someone to rank all the USA presidents from oldest to newest, it is kind of implied that you are ranking them as such, so only saying their names would suffice.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Hmm... that's a good question... But, English isn't my first language.

I usually ask: George Washington is the which president of USA?

Oh well... :ohwell:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
My children example wasn't to know who was second, but where John ranked out of the five. I guess there is no direct way to ask these kinds of questions in English. I used George Washington because I don't know the rankings of any other president (I am not American). If I asked about Chester A. Arthur (Wikipedia :p), how would you ask his chronological ranking of presidency?

Of course you could ask it that way but it's just very unnatural especially for more casual topics such as age of children.

In Chinese, it's pretty much: John is the number [word to represent an unknown number] oldest child?
These kinds of questions are frequently asked. Hard to explain something that exists and makes sense in one language but not in another.

Near²

Banned via Warnings
Ah. I see where you're coming from now. It's indeed a bit tough to word this. These are some ways that I can think of off the top of my head:

What is Chester A. Arthur's presidential order number?
What number president is Chester A. Arthur?
Chester A. Arthur was what president number?

I've come to a conclusion that it's indeed impossible in the English language (because a concept like this doesn't exist unlike Chinese), but there's some workarounds, albeit they sound a bit unnatural. You simply choose which sounds the most natural. :p

ndayday

BRoomer
"What number president is Chester A. Arthur?"

sounds the most natural to me.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Ndayday I like that but what about the children example?

White Mage I didn't know there were 44 presidents.

ndayday

BRoomer
Yeah, I don't think there's a way to easily ask that. At least I've never heard that kind of question being asked.

I've seen questions where the person kind of plays dumb-- or, asks a question that he knows might be wrong so he can get an answer.

Scenario: Not knowing which of three brothers is oldest, youngest, or the middle child, Bob asks their mother the following:

"Oh, so Tony is the oldest?"
Mom: "No, Tony is the middle child." --- they might just leave it at that, but if they catch on they would answer
Mom: "No, Tony is the middle child and Greg is the oldest."

if you want to sound more direct then:
"So is Tony the youngest, oldest, or what?"

(Realizing that we don't have a way to ask this is pretty funny)

I have definitely seen people do this a lot:
Scenario: Person asking 3 children how old they are to determine birth order

"How old are you?"
"Twelve"

"How old are you?"
"Seven"

And how old are you?
"Sixteen"

holy words

Vale

Smash Ace
I currently have a portable DVD player with a built-in screen and am trying to figure out a way to get it to work with a Wii/Gamecube. It has a slot for the yellow (video) cable, but not a white or red one. One slot is labeled Audio, but I think it is a jack for headphones and the such. I have a car charger to power the DVD player. I think it might work, but I don't know how to get power to the console. Anyone have a suggestion?

finalark

SNORLAX
I currently have a portable DVD player with a built-in screen and am trying to figure out a way to get it to work with a Wii/Gamecube. It has a slot for the yellow (video) cable, but not a white or red one. One slot is labeled Audio, but I think it is a jack for headphones and the such. I have a car charger to power the DVD player. I think it might work, but I don't know how to get power to the console. Anyone have a suggestion?

You'll have to use a separate output for audio. If you can find some speaks with W/R inputs then use those. Honestly, if you want to hook up a GC to a portable DVD player it will take a lot of power outlets. It doubt its possible to do it in a car if that's what you were going for.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
So I signed up for Microeconomics as a part of my first semester schedule because I thought economics would be a useful thing to learn about in general (and this was the only economics class I knew about that was open besides Macroeconomics) and I thought that I was required to take two electives/gen ed classes. Apparently a lot of people are saying that I'm crazy for doing this along with Chem and all of my required Music classes (Music General Major (going into Music Therapy)) during my freshman year, especially since this got me 17 credit hours overall. Would it be better for an incoming student to drop this Microeconomics class and end up with 14 credit hours, or would it not change much? I feel like I can do it, but I obviously have no idea what college is like, so it may be too much.

Things of note:
*I'm debating between a Finance and Mathematics minor (both sound interesting), and Microeconomics is required for Finance.
*95% sure I need to take a lab science my first semester, so Chem can't go.

ndayday

BRoomer
Probably late but I did 12 credits (3 classes) my first semester and bumped that to 16 (4) my second semester as I wasn't working much and figured I could take the extra class. Finished with better grades, which doesn't mean much since they're different classes but nonetheless it's not like it was difficult, I was just going to school more often.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
My dad made me get off the computer before I watched who won.

I'm so depressed right now.

I feel just like
Hungrybox

So what did I ever do to deserve this? what?

Top Bottom