• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Reason Behind the Smashing

Cinder

Smash Master
Link to original post: [drupal=641]The Reason Behind the Smashing[/drupal]

At first, I enjoyed Brawl...I won't deny that...I wanted to be a great Lucario user and make a name for myself...but then, as I continued to play, I felt like something was missing...no matter what I did, or what kind of "combos" and things I pulled off, I never felt satisfied...I never got that feeling of pure ecstasy I did when I did amazing shine combos with Falco or the "Stairway to Heaven" (I think that's what it was called) with Doc...I usually refer to it as that "OH MY GAWD DID I JUST DO THAT?!" feeling...at that point, I switched back to Melee (albeit a little late compared to a lot of my friends, who feel the same way I do)...I didn't hate Brawl, but I stopped playing it...

As I got back into Melee, I reflected on the two years I spent glued to my computer screen, waiting for updates...I thought about the anticipation I had had for Brawl, and the sheer excitement my friends and I felt the day we got it...then I considered the fact that all of that had gone to waste, and I felt like I had been duped...that's when my hatred for Brawl started...

I also took a lot of crap from Brawl fanboys, saying Melee was gonna die and that Melee players were gonna have to play Brawl or quit...I had heard of people sending PM's to random Melee players just to bash them...I couldn't believe that anyone could be so arrogant and hateful...I'm not saying that the Melee community hasn't done anything, nor am I saying that all Brawlers are like that...

My hatred peaked when I read some of Sakurai's thoughts on the two games...there's a chance I misinterpreted what he said, but my interpretation implied cheap-shots at Melee...especially Sakurai talking about how he wanted Brawl to be a game where "you'd have fun whether you won or lost", implying that it was the first game in the series to be like that...I realized that he was being completely unfair to the competitive community, and that he could have tended to both competitive players and n00bs using the EXACT same physics engine as Melee...I realized that he went OUT OF HIS WAY to kick competitive players to the curb...that's when I decided that I needed to make a public statement to show my hatred...I could have just sold my game for extra cash, but I didn't want to be so subtle and quiet about my hatred...I wanted the world to know how I felt...that's when I decided to smash my copy of Brawl to pieces...I put it on YouTube, where the entire internet community could see my hatred spill out...

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Amen, Brawl for the lose, Melee for the win. You're right, no matter WHAT I'm doing, if I do it in Melee I feel like I accomplished something. In Brawl, I just feel like crap whether I win or lose, I can't explain it.

Could you link me to the video of you smashing the Brawl disc? I really want to see that.

Chaco

Never Logs In
And now everyone can see the truth.

You know what's satisfying in Brawl, these things, I'll use things from our group Cinder. (Not meant to sabatoge your thread I thought I'd just share somefrom our group):

-When JOBOT Stage Spiked Jon from under SV with a bucket from Gay and watch.
-Stage spiking with Jiggs, and drill rest (Hehehe I love those)
-Mitsu and Duo's alternating grab, double Ganons, to double punch.
-When Vash got 3 stocked by buny and she took no damage
-Draconic trotting across the stage
-Gimping Pit
-When I spike with Wolf and always go with them. (Seriously my Wolf onlines recovery is horrid) So I give them a pity stock . XD
-The sound of dying Pikman
-Getting a purple fat kid to the face
-triple spike (long story)

But those are a few.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
And now everyone can see the truth.

You know what's satisfying in Brawl, these things, I'll use things from our group Cinder. (Not meant to sabatoge your thread I thought I'd just share somefrom our group):

-When JOBOT Stage Spiked Jon from under SV with a bucket from Gay and watch.
-Stage spiking with Jiggs, and drill rest (Hehehe I love those)
-Mitsu and Duo's alternating grab, double Ganons, to double punch.
-When Vash got 3 stocked by buny and she took no damage
-Draconic trotting across the stage
-Gimping Pit
-When I spike with Wolf and always go with them. (Seriously my Wolf onlines recovery is horrid) So I give them a pity stock . XD
-The sound of dying Pikman
-Getting a purple fat kid to the face
-triple spike (long story)

But those are a few.
Yes, those are fun things to do. But as I said, it's an inexplicable lack of any sort of satisfaction from accomplishing things. Sakurai uberly succeeded at what he wanted, which was for everyone to just have fun and for winning to not be accentuated. The things in Melee you would've gotten a thrill from...in Brawl, you laugh at it for a second and move on. At least, I do.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Not with some of our team matches. We get pissed if we lose, we're intense. XD

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Not with some of our team matches. We get pissed if we lose, we're intense. XD
I get pissed if I lose too.

But I never seem to feel good.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Play with btm tier chacracter, kicking *** with them gives you a great feeling.

My mains are: Yoshi, Jiggles, and Wolf.

Wolf is an alt for bad match ups with Yoshi. I don't use him much online.

The greatest feeling in the world is 3 stocking with Jiggs, no lie it is great.

Cinder

Smash Master
Haha XD nice, nice...ya got me thinkin'...I should post some of my more epic moments...

-When I U-aired to stage-spike Dan's YL on Dreamland64
-PING!!!! (our nickname for a match where Trey KO'ed Dan 3 times with Rest combos)
-When Glenn was trying to recover with Fox Illusion and Tommy Up-B'd him with Luigi right in the middle of the Illusion
-When Kramer meteor-cancelled a Dair from Trey's Ganon...and he didn't have a second jump o.o
-When I used a Bob$ gimp on Trey
-Gimping Trey's Jiggs...unsuccessfully <___<
-When <3 KO'ed me, Trey, and Dan with a fully charged Bowser F-Smash in teams
-When I wallspiked with Doc's up-b
-When I F-Smashed Glenn's Phantasm recovery (which I now do on a regular basis when he doesn't sweetspot)
-When I first did the Dair-->Reverse Falcon Punch with...well, you know who XD

Chaco

Never Logs In
Nothing can beat this, I promise you. Spawn kill. Gigas/Chaco= Snake/Wolf

Gigas knocks up Jon with a mortar slide and, and I spawn kill with a bair. It brought a tear to my eye!

battousai555

Smash Ace
I was going to ask for the link, but I searched it and it was the first vid. Ignore this post! (Melee>Brawl tho!)

Geist

Smash Master
Ah, if only people in charge of the next smash were the same as street fighter or guilty gear.
I have no idea why sakurai tried to blindly ignore competitive gamers when they were responsible for so many of the sales of melee in the first place.
I don't think I like nintendo's gigantic turn to casual players. Nintendo is losing more and more dedicated fans every day because they're too busy ignoring them.

It's possible to make a game that is competitive, but easy for casuals to enjoy it too.
It's called melee.

GrayPlague

Smash Apprentice
I will admit that Sakurai went out of his way to screw with the competitive scene. Really, there's no denying that, ever.

However, for reasons I just can't quite explain, I have more fun with Brawl then Melee. I tried going back to Melee, wondering if the older me would really be able to see the difference that makes Melee so grand and Brawl so horrible, but... I just couldn't. I like the physics engine in Brawl better, and maybe it's because I don't play a very combo oriented game. Sure, it's still fun to mess around with Roy (and I've started to find out how much I like Dr. Mario), but I still seem to prefer Brawl.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Pulling off a 0-Death with the Ice Climbers makes me feel like Jesus.

Top Bottom