• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Reason Why After Playing Melee you can't play Brawl as well

RetroAntonio

Smash Apprentice
Well, my 5 year old sis is good at Brawl and Melee...so i've been playing Melee, being used to that good game. I played against my sis at Brawl, I didn't want to, but whatever. So as usual she spams her side smash and pan with Peach...she can't play right worth crap! But I lose because I forgot how to play Brawl, and was so used to Melee gravity. Ever had an experience like this? Because in Melee I'd murder her.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
this is the answer for 90% of the SWF population:

the reason why you are experiencing what you are is because you are going from melee to brawl.

my personal input:

The physics aren't the same. they changed it all up so that it would attract more casual players.

It's been a thing ongoing in the gaming industry, casuals vs. "hardcore elites".

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
You have poor memory and suck against spam, which is easier to counter than Ganondorf. You still need to practice w/ the game to stay good. Remember, :metaknight:s are our friends.

There's this thing called camping and sheildgrabbing. If you can't remember simple basics of multiple games, quit Brawl and stick to Melee.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Melee is faster and doesn't have a buffering system like Brawl's. When you play a lot of Melee and immediately change to Brawl, your fingers are still moving at Melee speed and you start buffering things in Brawl that you don't want to do, due to Brawl's slower-paced physics. Melee is faster than Brawl in a lot of things, and that is a fact. While in Melee the game is fast enough to not need buffering (let's say 4x), in Brawl the game is slower (3x) so what you originally wouldnt've had being buffered, in Brawl you attempt moves at the same speed, and input commands faster than what you're supposed to, accidentally setting off buffered moves. You end up imputting empty fullhops instead of shorthopped aerials, or roll backwards instead of pivot grabbing, and probably even start landing while shielding due to the L-Cancelling habits... These are some of the reasons why Brawl and Melee shouldn't be played at the same time, if you want optimum performance.

Same goes from Melee to Brawl... Brawl is slower and has the buffering system which is used ALWAYS, so when you start playing Melee you try and take advantage of that, which doesn't exist like Brawl's (you can input something 1/5th of a second before you're able to move, and it comes out). Brawl doesn't have L-Cancelling either, so you lose the 'second nature' sense of that AT. And, you start shielddashing instead of wavedashing to stop yourself from running while still maintaining safety.

Those are some of the noticeable things I've found while switching between Brawl and Melee (luckily, ZSS thrives on speed, so Melee doesn't affect her much, even less considering that my melee main is Samus and they have quite a few similarities, from the crap grabs to the dependence of tether recoveries).

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Acctually it's all about how you're apporaching her. You may think you can beat her just because you know all these tricks and advanced techniques, yet she spams you and wins. Spam is easily expoited.

For instance, when she side smashes, you play like you normally would. Wrong.

You have to adapt. Predict her obvious next move and expoit it as simply as you can. When you eliminate the few options that she relies on wreck her s***.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Because Brawl is more defensive game, being aggressive gets you punished regularily.

Melee however, is a very offensive game, allowing you to be more aggresive, being aggressive in melee doesn't mean you get punished every time, unless your being stupid about it.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Mmm... this topic's johns are delicious.
And this, sirs, is why no one socializes with people like him. Always jumping into the fray at the first chance of being able to ridicule others.

Edit: I bet you're also gonna say that HDTVs don't have input lag...

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
Melee matches are much more fun to watch than Brawl, that's for sure.

And playing both games overall helps your skill level, and after a few games you can adjust quite easily. I play Peach in both games. :-)

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Melee matches are much more fun to watch than Brawl, that's for sure.

And playing both games overall helps your skill level, and after a few games you can adjust quite easily. I play Peach in both games. :-)
No offense, but if you use one character in both games at the top levels of play, it's easier said than done... So much adjusting back and forth, it's tough to do on such a short notice.

... Which is why I dropped Samus from Brawl, I found myself doing homing missiles and zair approaches in Melee, where those options sucked pretty bad.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Acctually it's all about how you're apporaching her. You may think you can beat her just because you know all these tricks and advanced techniques, yet she spams you and wins. Spam is easily expoited.

For instance, when she side smashes, you play like you normally would. Wrong.

You have to adapt. Predict her obvious next move and expoit it as simply as you can. When you eliminate the few options that she relies on wreck her s***.
Not enough people are listening to this.

If you're good at one game, it is seriously not that hard of a switch that you can lose to a 5 year old.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
Well, my 5 year old sis is good at Brawl and Melee...so i've been playing Melee, being used to that good game. I played against my sis at Brawl, I didn't want to, but whatever. So as usual she spams her side smash and pan with Peach...she can't play right worth crap! But I lose because I forgot how to play Brawl, and was so used to Melee gravity. Ever had an experience like this? Because in Melee I'd murder her.
It's like this. You're at a pool place, it has a pool with normal temperature water and a jacuzzi with "very warm" temperature water. You spend most of the time playing with your sis in the pool with "normal temperature water"(Melee).

You and your sis decides to go into the fancy jacuzzi(Brawl) with the "very warm temperature water".

You are so used to the normal temperature of the pool that when you jump into the jacuzzi with very warm water, you feel the water burning you.

And the moral of the story is that you should spend 5-10 minutes to get used to Brawl before going straight to the match.

Just like how you should slowly dip yourself in the jacuzzi instead of jumping into it.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
It's like this. You're at a pool place, it has a pool with normal temperature water and a jacuzzi with "very warm" temperature water. You spend most of the time playing with your sis in the pool with "normal temperature water"(Melee).

You and your sis decides to go into the fancy jacuzzi(Brawl) with the "very warm temperature water".

You are so used to the normal temperature of the pool that when you jump into the jacuzzi with very warm water, you feel the water burning you.

And the moral of the story is that you should spend 5-10 minutes to get used to Brawl before going straight to the match.

Just like how you should slowly dip yourself in the jacuzzi instead of jumping into it.
I don't like the idea of brawl being called "fancy," but you do have a point. :<

SSBA

Smash Rookie
i think brawl, in general, was an atempt at leveling the playing field while increaseing gameplay, at the cost of hardcore smashers skill levels looking less prodominet over the casual smasher.
Although the gameplay mechanics were, in my opinion, hurt by brawl, i do think brawl brought alot of things to the table in terms of gameplay, but melee dominates in terms of the actual fighting thats takeing place, both games are great and deserve there respect for the atributes that the each execute well.

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
Either:

A: You're frigging terrible for falling for the same forward smashes repeatedly.
B: Your sister has the most incredible mindgames imaginable.
C: Peach's forward smash is ****ing broken and renders all option on your character's behalf useless.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
It was kinda meh to adjust, but Brawl was my first Wii game so I had to get use to that controller and the game's new layout so meh, but I can't see why you'd loose to that Oo; but even if you did, your sister is 5... <.<...I don't know man everything about this sounds bad...

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Because Brawl is more defensive game, being aggressive gets you punished regularily.

Melee however, is a very offensive game, allowing you to be more aggresive, being aggressive in melee doesn't mean you get punished every time, unless your being stupid about it.
I 2nd this. I used to always play Brawl way too offensively and I'd get burned everytime. It made me hate the game because of the lack of offensive options.

I've been playing Brawl way more defensive lately and it's been a blast. I've improved a lot from it and have learn to let go of trying to be the "Combo King" (Not that I ever was)

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
The only real adjustment that I make is going from having many safe on block moves in Melee to 'if your opponent ever ever power shields, you're getting smacked in the face' moves in Brawl. Fall speed, comboability, everything else doesn't take long for me to adjust.

And before anyone says anything, I'm not terrible at either game. I got like this from going back and forth often. Switching used to wreck my skill.

Massive

Smash Champion
In my experience the opposite is true.

Playing Brawl then going back to melee makes you suck at melee.
Brawl makes you lazy, you stop L-cancelling, you stop playing aggressively, you start thinking and reacting slower because you don't need to play as quickly or precisely to play brawl at a high level.

Seriously though, losing to a 5 year old is not something that should happen regularly or that you should even admit to.

Top Bottom