• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Removal of Dr. Mario

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But uh *using semi-accurate reasoning* diddy is a lot similar to DK.
HAHAH! No your totally wrong. They are not even the same species.
DK = Gorilla. Diddy = Monkey.
Dr.Mario = Mario in doctors costume.

Even that proofs that Diddy is more awesome then Dr.Mario even will be.

And ninja232, Shadow is the worst character possible for Brawl right behind Cloud and 50Cent.

Nazi Ninja

Smash Rookie
wow, instead of removing dr. mario, y not change mario? there is more than 1 diffirent mario, aka FLUDD mario, but theres only one kind of dr. mario. besides, i havent seen any pros play with mario, but i have seen dr. mario. hmmm. and u want to remove him?

nomis

Smash Journeyman
Kabyk, good job. You managed to take everything I said, warp it and distort it to your own personal arguemental gain. If I didn't have to go to school right now, I'd argue back. Until this afternoon you pessimists.
Hey, I think you forgot someone:

I await your rebuttal
Kashakunaki: You are either a troll or you are avoiding legitimate arguments that you label as 'opinions' whereas most of every point in this thread is based on opinion.

I'm going to leave this thread now because after reading about 8 pages of this garble, you, Kashakunaki, have yet to convince me, or any other removal-of-Dr.-Mario advocate, of why our reasoning is faulty. Hell, you don't even take our opinions into consideration, so I won't care about yours.

But I do give you the honor of one thing: my presence.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hes a clone of Mario.

And since Mario HAS got the same moves in Brawl and isn't god**** Fludd Mario (thanks god) so IF Doc ever would return he'd be a clone again.

And if Doc isn't in the game anymore the pro's will start using Mario, simple as that.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Okay, that's it. I'm going to counter what has been said since I've been gone, and that's it. All you people seem to be able to do is stand by your opinions and speculations and call them facts. Negative rep me if you think I'm being an ***, I don't care. Let's get this over with.

Let's look at it this way, Sakurai is deciding wheter to pur Dr. Mario back in or someone new, say, Little Mac, Diddy Kong, etc., for the last charcter. Whom would you chose? A Mario clone, or a chance to play something entirely new?
I never said Dr. Mario was the most deserving character. I'd vote for switching him with Diddy among various other characters (Not Little Mac, I think he would be a stupid addition). I am argueing otherwise, that he should stay. And, for the third time, would you rather play as two people who are the same, but have completely different movesets and are unique, or play with two completely different people who play the exact same with similar movesets. My point is proven.

Their initails are both "DK" and are both Mammals. Big whoop. Diddy has ALOT more potential to be unique then a Mario in a Doctor suit
More potential, perphaps. That doesn't go to say that Dr. Mario can't be unique from Mario at all. The Smash team could make him hardly recognizable as Mario other than his stature if they wanted to.

i ment shadow the hedgehog dumb ***
...That was unnecessary.

Yeah, and that sure doesn't seem to stop the clone Wolf arguements from believing that Fox and Wolf will be clones.

And?

Opinion.

You are either a troll or you are avoiding legitimate arguments that you label as 'opinions' whereas most of every point in this thread is based on opinion.
Last I checked people saying Roy and Toad are better than Dr. Mario, so he should be removed are opinions, and very, very far from a legitimate arguement and solid ground.

I'm going to leave this thread now because after reading about 8 pages of this garble, you, Kashakunaki, have yet to convince me, or any other removal-of-Dr.-Mario advocate, of why our reasoning is faulty.
Sorry. I didn't know by quoting nearly every arguement made against Dr. Mario in this thread and making some sort of statement against it wasn't enough. I'll try harder.

Hell, you don't even take our opinions into consideration, so I won't care about yours.
Simply put, opinions have no place in the court room.

But I do give you the honor of one thing: my presence.[/quote[

Rofl. Thanks for the good laugh.

And since Mario HAS got the same moves in Brawl and isn't god**** Fludd Mario (thanks god) so IF Doc ever would return he'd be a clone again.
How in the hell can you make that kind of conclusion?
That's rhetorical, by the way.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
You must have missed my post. So I will just ask it again. Make a list of FACTS as to why he should stay and take up another character spot. I don't want to see an opinion either. You can go ahead an argue by saying everything I have said is opinion or you can be mature and tell me these facts. I will be waiting.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
So this entire thread boils down to why he should and why he shouldn't be removed.

The arguement for why he should seems to be as follows:
He's Mario in a doctor's suit. [Correct, nothing different]
There isn't anything unique about him. [Correct, nothing different]
He's unimportant. [Correct, nothing different]
He should be removed to "make room". [For characters who have more than a no-story Puzzle game]
He's a clone. [Now I'm just sick of saying the same thing]

The arguement for why he should stay seems to be as follows:
He's diverse enough to be more than Mario in a doctor's suit. [How? He's a Tetris game!]Are you implying that because of his respective genre and franchise he is an inferior character not worthy of mentioning? Good, I wouldn't hope so. Also, the development team is their for a reason.
He's a good Nintendo franchise. No, 'Mario Platforming' is a good franchise. 'Mario Puzzling' is not.Despite the fact this is an opinion his VIDEO GAME SALES say otherwise. He's sold more than the Star Fox series. Are you going to tell me Fox McCloud and Falco Lombardi are unimportant now, too?
He's one of the more fame acclaimed Tetris spin-offs. Whoop-die-do! Still a lone Tetris game.Whoop de doo, huh? You obviously missed the point. He's a liked character, his franchise is liked, and he's good at what his franchise does. Just because you don't like the character and you don't like the franchise and you don't like the puzzle genre doesn't mean everyone doesn't.
He can be decloned. Same as the first point, for both of us.I agree, same thing for the first point.

I, am in green.

With that, I leave this topic it. Flame me, talk about Roy, let the thread die, let someone assume my roll, let someone turn the thread into pro-Doc removal, I don't care. I have no purpose for being here.

If you aren't going to listen to me, and just keep repeating the same things over and over, I don't need to listen to you.

EDIT: One last thing for you, Uncle Kenny.
You must have missed my post.
Maybe.

Make a list of FACTS as to why he should stay and take up another character spot.
He is, by fact, a very popular character by definition of sales.
His franchise is, by fact, a very popular and liked franchise.
He is, by fact, one of Nintendo's more successful Mario spin-offs. Success being defined by popularity.
He does, by fact, have potential to become more than a clone. Decloning is an easy process and the development team is there for a reason.
He has, by opinion, a really cool theme song. =P

I don't want to see an opinion either.
Me either, I try to avoid them. Like I said, they don't belong in the court room.

You can go ahead an argue by saying everything I have said is opinion or you can be mature and tell me these facts.
Maybe I state certain things you say as opinion because they are opinion.

I will be waiting
Wait no more. ^_^

EDIT 2: I will be giving a few of you plus rep when Smashboards lets me. Like, to you Uncle Kenny and to Kabyk.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I love how in the beginning you were telling other people off for giving up and.... what's this? You seem to have given up. In my own opinion, I don't really see those reasons as the best ever. For one, he is a spin-off game and it doesn't matter how popular it is it is still a spinoff game. Mario Party is a popular spin-off game and I think most people here will agree that Waluigi doesn't deserve a spot in Brawl. Starfox may not make more but it is an original series and Dr. Mario remains to be a spin-off. Even if you do play the popularity card, Sakurai himself has mentioned that popular characters don't get him too exicited and if you want a link to that then tell me. Also, anybody can work in Brawl, freakin Pac-Man can work in Brawl but that doesn't grant them a postition. Character cuts will be done and Dr. Mario is on the top of that list.

Gaudion

Smash Apprentice
Doc's popularity is something of a relative thing. Dr. Mario was huge back when the original Game Boy released. Anyone that wants to argue that is a fool. But it's been a really long time since Doc's been in a title. I mean, SSBM was his first in ages. In the broad scheme of Nintendo's history, yes, he has popularity that warrents staying power. If you want to go on recent popularity, he's a no-go. There are generations of gamers smashing now that have no clue who Doc is. However, as SSBM is a game built on the "classics of Nintendo", I would say Doc has earned his spot. I mean, look at the Ice Climbers.

I personally would like to see any further attacks on Doc's character avoided. I think it's pretty pointless to try and discredit him that way. I also don't think we can say no one cares about him when Captain Jack and others are rockin' him out and winning tournaments over Shiek, Fox, and Marth. Common? No. But possible.

I think the best and really only good argument against Doc is his status as a clone. He is different, but he's got to be somewhere between 75-90% identicle to Mario, even closer than Luigi is. I'd hate to see him taken out of the game completely, but I'm going to be a little disappointed if he returns with his own character slot in Brawl. I really hope they'll just relegate him to an outfit for Mario.

Peeze

Smash Master

And ninja232, Shadow is the worst character possible for Brawl right behind Cloud and 50Cent.
wow uh when did i ever say they were the same species? That doesn't "proofs" diddy will be awesome, just use Dk in tiny melee and add a lil speed to him.
Wow even though shadow WON'T make it he is definetly better than Cloud and fiddy.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
wow uh when did i ever say they were the same species? That doesn't "proofs" diddy will be awesome, just use Dk in tiny melee and add a lil speed to him.
Wow even though shadow WON'T make it he is definetly better than Cloud and fiddy.
Diddy>Zidane>Chuck Norris>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Doc>Cloud.

Dude just check the Diddy thread. On xianfeng's first post there is my moveset. Read it through and you know why Diddy would be better then Doc for Brawl.

Diddy would NOT be a clone of DK, ever. He's got TOO much pottential for that. Heck Diddy could be a clone of anybody, just because HE can.

Seriously though learn some common sence before posting this ****. :ohwell:

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Comparing Diddy's similarity to DK with Dr. Mario's similarity to Mario is ludicrous at best... seriously, Diddy has SO much more potential that it's not even funny

zombie7775

Smash Lord
Wrong tiny DK doesnt equal Diddy.
Diddy>Zidane>Chuck Norris>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Doc>Cloud.

Dude just check the Diddy thread. On xianfeng's first post there is my moveset. Read it through and you know why Diddy would be better then Doc for Brawl.

Diddy would NOT be a clone of DK, ever. He's got TOO much pottential for that. Heck Diddy could be a clone of anybody, just because HE can.

Seriously though learn some common sence before posting this ****. :ohwell:
Agree 100%

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
YOu need to realise that English isn't my first language. And even then you must need this "common sence" that Im winning a discusion from you in a language I rarely/never even speak outside of this place.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
Idiot. They are different species.

Peeze

Smash Master
Jeez like 18 people just ganged up on me.
Basementdweller stay in your basement i said they were different species Jack@$$
Zombie: i said tiny and speedy DK is diddy prove me wrong from his games and i'll shutup
Diddy Kong wow it's a shame your winning in my native language good job you get a golden star. Like i give a F*** what language you speak.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Jeez like 18 people just ganged up on me.
Basementdweller stay in your basement i said they were different species Jack@$$
Zombie: i said tiny and speedy DK is diddy prove me wrong from his games and i'll shutup
Diddy Kong wow it's a shame your winning in my native language good job you get a golden star. Like i give a F*** what language you speak.
1: You got gang banged up because your 1: A ****ing idiot. 2: Your insulting a POPULAIR character. 3: Your not on Gamefaqs. 4: Did I mention you where a ****ing idiot?

2: Ohhh wow, he's atleast got a better name then you do. Peeze... Heck my grandma could come up with something better.

3: Let ME proof that to you. In Donkey Kong Country Diddy and DK already where totally diffrent. Diddy ran and climb faster, DK was stonger and could kill enemies which Diddy couldn't. Diddy however had the best rolling attack of every character in each DKC. DK had a roll and handslap. See they ARE diffrent. Even in Mario sport games, Mario and Luigi got the same atributes while Diddy and DK are TOTALLY diffrent from each other. And they should be diffrent, why? Because thats the point of Donkey Kong COuntry, controlling a tag team which are totally diffrent from each other. So it would be naturally Diddy got his own ****ing moves in Brawl, which Doctor ****ing Mario never will get.

4: Yeah im good. No need to tell that. And I dont even give a ****ing **** about where you live.

zombie7775

Smash Lord
1: You got gang banged up because your 1: A ****ing idiot. 2: Your insulting a POPULAIR character. 3: Your not on Gamefaqs. 4: Did I mention you where a ****ing idiot?

2: Ohhh wow, he's atleast got a better name then you do. Peeze... Heck my grandma could come up with something better.

3: Let ME proof that to you. In Donkey Kong Country Diddy and DK already where totally diffrent. Diddy ran and climb faster, DK was stonger and could kill enemies which Diddy couldn't. Diddy however had the best rolling attack of every character in each DKC. DK had a roll and handslap. See they ARE diffrent. Even in Mario sport games, Mario and Luigi got the same atributes while Diddy and DK are TOTALLY diffrent from each other. And they should be diffrent, why? Because thats the point of Donkey Kong COuntry, controlling a tag team which are totally diffrent from each other. So it would be naturally Diddy got his own ****ing moves in Brawl, which Doctor ****ing Mario never will get.

4: Yeah im good. No need to tell that. And I dont even give a ****ing **** about where you live.
Wow how do you come up with anything after this other then saying that I completly agree.

Peeze

Smash Master
1. never been on gamefaqs
2. Peeze is a play on my name, it's a nickname given to me by friends (something you don't have). And your name diddy kong is sooooo original.
3. So he was a quicker, smaller weaker version of Dk, wow sounds exactly like what i said.
4. You don't have to care where i live thats why i didn't put my location genius. who the F*** lives in the netherlands? left over nazis

zombie7775

Smash Lord
Diddy Kongs attacks are different and cooler then DK's attacks. Diddy Kong is a pretty cool name especially compared to yours. It would be cool to visit the Netherlands.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
1. never been on gamefaqs
2. Peeze is a play on my name, it's a nickname given to me by friends (something you don't have). And your name diddy kong is sooooo original.
3. So he was a quicker, smaller weaker version of Dk, wow sounds exactly like what i said.
4. You don't have to care where i live thats why i didn't put my location genius. who the F*** lives in the netherlands? left over nazis
1: Ok. Neither do I but I think you'd do fine there.
2: Kay. I cant chance that... =/
3: My name WAS original until Brawl came out and the character Diddy Kong became a big part of the talk. I use DK in Melee, and since im a fan of both the games and DK in Melee I picked the name Diddy Kong. Now I'd rather be called DDK just cuz of that.
4: I havent even readed that, not that I care as I already said... And people DO live in the Netherlands, thanks to you actually, if it wasn't for American's help we WOULD be left over by nazis to thanks. :p

Diddy Kongs attacks are different and cooler then DK's attacks. Diddy Kong is a pretty cool name especially compared to yours. It would be cool to visit the Netherlands.
And these comments I do like. :) Although the Netherlands is nothing really special at all...

Peeze

Smash Master
Zombie:You probly also think that zombies are cool, nerd.
DDK Yeah america jumps in all the time on stuff we should have left the netherlands alone except amsterdam you can do anything there :chuckle:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And IF it where Germany now you couldn't. ;)
And yeah you CAN do anything in Amsterdam... And god it's good. :p

Peeze

Smash Master
that's one thing i agree with you on(amsterdam) Other than that i really thing that DK and DDk would be really similar and shoudn't be featured together unless DDK is rediculously different from DK.

zombie7775

Smash Lord
he is going to be different then DK. Anyway this thread is about Dr. Mario. If we are going to talk about diddy then we should go to the diddy thread and talk about how awsome he is.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And youve proven yourself Diddy should be in. Because he IS rediculousy diffrent from DK. And we NEED another Donkey Kong character, hes a **** loner right now.

Mario has already too much characters, which 2 of them are clones of Mario himself. Luigi won't go anywhere, thats for sure. Dr.Mario is the most logical choice to leave Smash.

Dont get me wrong, Doc is somewhat of a second character to me in Melee to. But if Mario just where better then Doc, you and I both where playing Mario right? Dr.Mario then REALLY would be a waste of place, just as Pichu, Roy and Y.Link are now.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ohh yeah true. Not on that post actually. :p DK is a gorilla, gorilla's are built big and strong. Diddy is some sorta monkey. He's built faster but weaker then DK. And seeing most of DK's moves are preformed by using his fists, Diddy couldn't be a clone. Diddy also has got a tail, and every character in Smash who HAS a tail uses moves with it. So should Diddy, HEY DK doesnt have a tail... What does that mean...? Yeah that DOES mean Diddy CANT be a clone of DK.

And I do have friends.(I didn't disaproved that in the other post to.) Otherwise why should I go to Amsterdam? ;) Its seriously no good doing 'stuff' on your own.

Peeze

Smash Master
Ok so he'd be a faster lighter weaker monkey.... with a tail yeah i can definetly see him getting in the differences just slap you in the face.(sarcasm if you didn't know)
Yeah you need to have friends to go to amsterdam especially when doing "stuff" F***'s you up.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ok so he'd be a faster lighter weaker monkey.... with a tail yeah i can definetly see him getting in the differences just slap you in the face.(sarcasm if you didn't know)
Yeah you need to have friends to go to amsterdam especially when doing "stuff" F***'s you up.
I always have DK64. There where 5 characters there including Diddy and DK. The main point of DK64 was switching characters and use their special abilities. Much like Mario 64 is now, but Diddy and DK had way more variation of each other, which Mario, Luigi and Wario barely had. I mean there where diffrences between those 3, but they all had the same moves. Diddy and DK even had diffrent moves in DKC, which is a pretty old game by now.

And who said 'stuf' is that bad? Once in a month or anything isn't gonna hurt you.

Peeze

Smash Master
talking about 64 makes me want to play it, it's bringing back memories
Allright so he has a chance Doc Mario doesn't(shouldn't) return
I don't know what type or how strong Netherlandians(?) do 'stuff' in amsterdam.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
* Walks into the Dr. Mario thread *

What the hell? People are hating on Diddy Kong? I thought this was a Dr. Mario thread. Well, while I am here. You people that support Diddy Kong have a weak argument, shouldn't you slow it down some so our troll Peeze can understand it some? It you so desperately need reasons as to how they would be different than here you go :

1. They are a different species
2. One is big and strong and the other is small and fast
3. Diddy Kong has a jetpack, peanut pistols, a jump attack with his tail, a guitar attack. Oh yeah, DK doesn't have any of that does he?

The only thing similiar about them is that they have the same last name and are part of the primate family. Diddy has totally different moves, stats, size, everything! Shall I see you to the door?

On topic : I already explained why Dr. Mario shouldn't be in.

* Leaves the thread to pursue better things *

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Well, Kasahakuni made some points that he could have movesets and that his game was popular, but to answer the question "Do I want Dr. Mario In Brawl"?

Even if he is cut, I'm pretty sure their will be something similar to the trophy system, and undoubtebly we'll see some reminder of the single most original Tetris ripoff, not to mention that his music will probably stay, due to the fact that there are music from games not represented in Brawl, such as the Balloon fighter music.

As for a chacrter, who cares if he's higher on the tier list? With new shifts on combat, the tier list is bound to change anyway

IO guess we'll all have to agree to disagree with our own opinions, and we'll see what Sakurai thought was best for the mushroom kingdom's most famous doctor

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Here's how I see it:

When people think of which characters are getting the axe, the first name that pops to mind is Dr. Mario. That, in and of itself, is the reason that he could be cut. If a majority of people instantly think of him when they hear about removing characters, it can safely be assumed that they Smash community as a whole considers Doc to be an expendable character. Sure, you can play him and have all sorts of fun, but he's not a character that you'd be heartbroken to hear is leaving. If a character is the first that comes to mind when it comes to cuts, I think it's safe to say that character very well could be the first in line when those cuts are being dealt.

Top Bottom