• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Also, I'll just leave this here. It's the kind of Other M/Super hybrid I wouldn't mind having I guess.

Uh, that's not an OtherM/Super hybrid at all. This is more modeled after a dinosaur or regular dragon than anything else, which doesn't really go with what Ridley is or represents: a quick and vicious airborne fighter.

I've recently encountered some fairly dumb detractors who have started bringing up arguments worse than the "too big" one. They say stuff like "no one likes Ridley" or "Ridley has no personality, or compelling enough" and all I can do is facepalm so hard at those people. So you mean to tell me, a sadistic , Dragon-like space pirate is less interesting, who killed the parents of the protagonist, is less interesting than a Princess, who's sole purpose is to be kidnapped and be all girly? :glare:
Oh. Well, Duck Hunt Dog isn't a very good inclusion because arbitrary. I also think that Mewtwo is bad and shouldn't be included because arbitrary.
This is the OTHER reason why I want Ridley to be included. To be right. To have others be right.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Oh....what do you mean by tsundere fashion? and with what Roidley would do with Samus??? o-o I got confused....
"Tsundere" is a Japanese term used to describe a character, usually in anime and manga, that behaves in an antagonistic or aggressive manner towards the main character, but secretly harbours romantic or affectionate feeling for them. This usually manifests itself as shouting at and insulting the main character in order to hide the fact that they actually have feelings for them.

As for the other part, as he said himself, he's just complementing the artwork.

I don't know if that helps, but I thought I'd explain it all the same. ^_^

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
If you are upset about the fact that Samus is getting fanserviced, despite the fact that the fanservice has pretty much been part of every Metroid game as a reward (except for Other M), well, then I'm going to tell you something. It's pretty much been part of every Metroid game as a reward.
Seriously though what are you salty about. Spill that salt of yours!
I'm not annoyed about zero suit fanservice. Logically, that's what someone would wear underneath power armor.
I'm annoyed that Ridley is our last hope for a playable character, and even still he isn't guaranteed.
Who's left besides Ridles?
Kraid? Actually too big.
Adam? Anthony? Maybe...
SA-X? Actually looks like samus.
Other Hunters? Not Likely.
Dark Samus is an AT, but NNNoooooooooOOOO, Dark Pit gets to be playable after his first game.(eventho I like dark pit):mad088:
And What do we have as Metroid representation? Samus! Oh and look! Samus again! And odds are we are gonna be stuck with just these two or really just one, until someone else is allowed to decide the roster.
That's where the salt comes from^

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
Man, for the hype three I still like the idea that someone had about all the villains attacking the heroes being led by Bowser. A giant ominous ship shows up in front of the Smashers, and Bowser steps out in front laughing. Jr. flies up next to him in his Koopa Car and sneers. Then, a giant horde of koopas, kameks, monoeyes, waddle dees, ghosts, space pirates, polar bears, moblins, some xenoblade enemies (not sure what would be best), kadabras, and kremlings run up from over a hill. Cannon shots are heard as King K. Rool's ship attacks Dk and Diddy. A zoomed in shot of his eye slowly pans out to reveal him. As Pikachu lets down a Thunderbolt sending a huge batch flying, he gets lifted up into the air and gasps. Mewtwo laughs and sends a psychic blast at the other pokemon. Link throws a few bombs at a group of moblins as Ganondorf can be heard, Sheik and Zelda join Link and they all run at Ganondorf. Other characters like Kirby and Shulk can be seen in the background as we'll as star fox and starwolf shooting at each other. Samus shoots misses killing all the enemies around her, then she looks up into the sky. Ridley lands right in front of her and roars they glare at each other for a split second and fight. During the fight Samus' suit short out and falls apart, they continue to fight and it shows off Ridley's new mechanic.
don't forget about the megaman and pikmin enemies

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
"Tsundere" is a Japanese term used to describe a character, usually in anime and manga, that behaves in an antagonistic or aggressive manner towards the main character, but secretly harbours romantic or affectionate feeling for them. This usually manifests itself as shouting at and insulting the main character in order to hide the fact that they actually have feelings for them.

As for the other part, as he said himself, he's just complementing the artwork.

I don't know if that helps, but I thought I'd explain it all the same. ^_^
Oh, of course it helped! thank you! :D.....And now...I don't know what to say.....>____<

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Uh, that's not an OtherM/Super hybrid at all. This is more modeled after a dinosaur or regular dragon than anything else, which doesn't really go with what Ridley is or represents: a quick and vicious airborne fighter.
Was talking about the head more than anything else really, which is easily preferable to Roidley's head. You're right about most of the rest of it though, but still kinda liked it for what it was as a fan-made attempt on redesigning him.

G1_Shockwave

Smash Cadet
I hope Ridley doesn't share Chrom's fate

We can only hope we get a Ridley trailer next week, we didn't really get any news at PAX from Nintendo, all the main news came from a Japan only direct :facepalm:

Hah that was great! Ridley is kind of like the Grim Reaper who shofars the deconfirmed characters to the trash pile

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
Can you add me to the list? I've been an unofficial Space Pirate for a while now but now's the time when we need all the manpower we can get.

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
Sylux is more likely than you think, and recall that Charizard was originally an assist, so Dark Samus gets another shot next time...
I agree with you in that Dark Samus has a chance of little macing it next game, and Sylux is the most likely of the hunters, But I will have to wait another 6+ years to see that.

Grimfrost

Smash Cadet
Guys i dont want to "sh*tpost" but i am so excited about all of this!

I read alot of people who say ridley won't be in but c'mon would sakurai risk to dissapoint so many fans?

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard

I read alot of people who say ridley won't be in but c'mon would sakurai risk to dissapoint so many fans?
Sakurai has little qualms about crushing dreams if a character's potential design does not click with him, or generate a creative spark, if you will.

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
Rules:
-Ridley only, Brinstar, all metroid related items.
I hope they finally added the option to customize which Pokemon and assist trophies appear. Then you really could have an all out Ridley celebration with mother brain and hundreds of metroids.

On another not, Andrea's pictures got me wondering... Who would win in a true death match? Ridley or Roidley (from the games, of course). One is older and combat familiar, but other is obviously on steroids.

G1_Shockwave

Smash Cadet

Yeah.. He has done it twice already for me! :( I expected Ridley in Brawl and Melee.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I hope they finally added the option to customize which Pokemon and assist trophies appear. Then you really could have an all out Ridley celebration with mother brain and hundreds of metroids.

On another not, Andrea's pictures got me wondering... Who would win in a true death match? Ridley or Roidley (from the games, of course). One is older and combat familiar, but other is obviously on steroids.
Heh. Roidley's berserk button...what could it be? What would an angry Roidley look like?

Yeah.. He has done it twice already for me! :( I expected Ridley in Brawl and Melee.
Overall better awareness of the fanbase says hi. For the record, there has been a poll for both the most favourite characters in east and west. Nearly all of the characters are confirmed to have been added in, except for the Big 3. Hmmm!
No, it doesn't guarantee anything, but it makes me feel better.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Heh. Roidley's berserk button...what could it be? What would an angry Roidley look like?
GOD DAMN IT! NOW I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK ABOUT THOSE TWO! I'm back AGAIN with the freaking dilema of what I should I do with them and how their relationship should be and all that stuff!

I'm completely lost right now....I don't know what to do anymore....

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Maybe his model clipped trough everything, wich caused many technical difficulties and prevented Ridley from becoming playable.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Hello! I've been following this thread since.... I don't know, sometime around January, And I've finally made an account on here!
Add me to the Supporter list please, long live the space pirates!

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
GOD DAMN IT! NOW I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK ABOUT THOSE TWO! I'm back AGAIN with the freaking dilema of what I should I do with them and how their relationship should be and all that stuff!

I'm completely lost right now....I don't know what to do anymore....
Take some time out, relax, breathe deeply and let the ideas come to you. Forcing yourself to create something only results in stress and frustration - take it from me, sweetheart.

AndreaAC

Take some time out, relax, breathe deeply and let the ideas come to you. Forcing yourself to create something only results in stress and frustration - take it from me, sweetheart.
Thank you so much!...I will definitely do that! :)
Q2A571_0D6523AD4430A_001 (2).gif

sleepy time....

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Sakurai has little qualms about crushing dreams if a character's potential design does not click with him, or generate a creative spark, if you will.
Yeah, but he makes sure to make that dream crushing short and sweet. He wouldn't want to let the hope drag out for this long, if there wasn't a pay off.

Meta-Kraid

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-0411-8525
don't forget about the megaman and pikmin enemies
Dang it, it didn't save a few enemies I put in... I put the bulborbs, but Megaman and Sonic enemies didn't make sense since Dr. Eggman and Wily aren't even shown in Smash. Then again a few sonic enemies are in smash run.

Anyway I think Sakurai should reveal Ridley sometime next week. We need another direct, some people don't even know if they want the game or not. A few secret characters are fine, but Ridley needs to be revealed. Wednesday might make sense, but it won't be in a potd. We all fell for that on Pyrosphere's anniversary. :glare:

Comet FireClaw

Smash Cadet
I think the ultimate battle-damage gimmick was confirmed already in the form of steaming at high %. The only way to add on/make it better would be to make him grow brighter/redder in color as this happened. Would admittedly be a cool throwback.
there a game mechanics like that we already know about, its lucario's Aura at which at a certain percent he gain a huge buff to his abilities, the same could be done for ridley where he starts off with slow but powerful and at a certain threshold he becomes fast and and buffed in certain aspects

Zynux

Smash Lord
Maybe his model clipped trough everything, wich caused many technical difficulties and prevented Ridley from becoming playable.
What would he clip through? All I could see is his head possibly clipping through some platforms, but Bowser already does this on Battlefield. Ridley's wings aren't an issue since with his proportions they're not much bigger to Charizards, whom wings also pretty big in this game and fold to the side, similar to how Ridley's wings work.

Rules:
-Ridley only, Brinstar, all metroid related items.
Would be great to recreate Classic Metroid with Samus vs. Ridley having a Mother Brain/Metroid assist helper against Samus.

Hey, that could be an Event Match!

Let's bring this to the K rool thread, this is the Ridley thread.

(I don't wanna get locked up like a Metroid)
Explains why this thread and it's inhabitants keeps breaking out of containment despite numerous lockings. :awesome:

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
He is a falcon clone, when he definitely has the ability to be so much more. Sakurai has had 2 times to be able to change this, yet still does not.
There are numerous mitigating factors regarding that set of design aspects, how and ever. I don't think it's inherently malevolent or even intentional on Sakurai's part.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Warning Received
Am I the only person who is not bothered by this?
You're not: I'm actually a big fan of the clone Ganondorf...I just don't like the way Brawl treated him...

This could very well be me being afraid of change; PM Ganondorf doesn't help with the decloning propaganda. While I know Ganondorf's clone-ness does no justice to his canon, I personally love the thought of an evil wizard who ain't afraid of bloodying his knuckles!

Also, this guy is Sakurai's main, so it could be that he really wants a slower, more powerful Falcon... But why must he keep the sluggish attacks and old-man-jogging? It's his Brawl sprint that always ticks me off, and it just screams "bottom tier!"

Let's just hope he's at least faster with his hits this time around...I don't wan't another joke for "King of Evil."

TheRage

Smash Apprentice
I've been following this thread for quite some time, and I will say never before have I seen so much hype (or this big of a thread) for a single Nintendo character to be in Smash. I'm pretty sure Sakurai has noticed this as well (along with Bill Trinen...) and is saving something *special* for Ridley supporters, at the very least.

Oh, and please count me in on the Ridley Supporters list, thank you! :)

Am I the only person who is not bothered by this?
Let's stay on topic, now...

Top Bottom