• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
When ever someone says he is too big, i am just going to show them the melee opening.

Look how small he is there.
Besides, i can't wait for a classic showdown between the two.
You could do teams or like Samus and some other person, against ridley and the other team mates villain.
You've served your country proud.

I still need Oasis's images on Ridley's size.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
It's sad, really, but these are the same ole same ole arguments that us Ridley fanatics threw around five years ago. As true and valid as they may have been (and are), it never stopped Sakurai from totally screwing over the Metroid series, while elevating lesser franchises as Starfox and Kirby (as much as I like D3 and MK). The fact that these, along with Sonic and Snake got in over Ridley is a crime.

I'll just say...don't get hopes too high. (Can anyone find the old, over 9000 Riiddle thread?)

D

Deleted member

Kirby, a lesser series than Metroid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M

I also wouldn't say Sakurai "totally" screwed over the Metroid series. He clearly tried to give the series its due. A new character (despite being part of Samus, Zero Suit still counts as a character in herself), three stages (one being a Melee stage), not one, but TWO bosses (he clearly just did not see Ridley working out, but he knew he was still popular, and made him a boss. Twice.), and an Assist (with Ridley also being planned as an Assist as well, which would've given the series TWO Assists, which no other series has except for Mario's three Assists). That's not including the crapton of trophies the series got as well.
Just because Ridley was not playable doesn't mean Sakurai has some "vendetta" against the series, nor did he "screw it over".

That being said, what helps Ridley's case now is that Sakurai now is aware that being a boss in not enough, and has even mentioned that he could work.
Also, what helps Ridley, no matter how people try to deny it, is Other M. Think about it; it gave framework for how Ridley would be fighting. Prior to Other M, Ridley had always fought by flying above the ground and merely shoot fireballs or some other projectile (this is of course exclusing his enhanced Meta and Omega counterparts). Come Other M, we have a Ridley that fights primarily ON THE GROUND for once, with tail swipes, fire breath, charge attacks with a grabbing attack, and even a new ability in his scale hardening.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Amen, preach it brotha. It's too bad though people are too busy being distracted by the smaller details such as not liking the design choice or something to see how well the Other M boss battle actually provided the framework for how Ridley would fight if he were playable. What sometimes perplexes me too is how some who support Ridley also want Other M to be excluded from being repped in Sm4sh altogether based on its feedback. If Other M's completely overlooked in Sm4sh, then he won't really have anymore chance at being playable than he did in Brawl, so that happening would only hurt Ridley. So I guess in a way, you either don't mind some aspects of Other M being repped, or you're against Ridley being playable. Agree, disagree?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Amen, preach it brotha. It's too bad though people are too busy being distracted by the smaller details such as not liking the design choice or something to see how well the Other M boss battle actually provided the framework for how Ridley would fight if he were playable. What sometimes perplexes me too is how some who support Ridley also want Other M to be excluded from being repped in Sm4sh altogether based on its feedback. If Other M's completely overlooked in Sm4sh, then he won't really have anymore chance at being playable than he did in Brawl, so that happening would only hurt Ridley. So I guess in a way, you either don't mind some aspects of Other M being repped, or you're against Ridley being playable. Agree, disagree?
I have nothing against the fights in Other M. My only real complaint against it is it's staggering linearity. There are definitely some cool thing to pull from it (MAYBESOMEASPECTSOFRIDLEY)

Also, Sinister, love your sig xD

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Fair enough on the linearity part, though after Prime 3 and Fusion I had already gotten used to linearness by the time Other M even came out, and don't think it's nearly as much a crime for the series as it's made out to be. Fusion's one of my most replayed games in the franchise along with Prime despite being linear. Ironic since they both came out in the same year.

I wish Other M could be discussed in how it could help Ridley without people always arguing about things with the game itself or being too busy bawing over things like Ridley's design, but I guess that'll never happen. :u

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
By comparing his size throughout the games, I convinced someone to want Ridley.
I think Other M built up Ridley in a fantastic way, it just so happened to build down Samus at the same time.

Zero-X

Smash Rookie
Before I came onto this thread, I was baffled by the amount of people that wanted to play Ridley, mainly because of his size. After going through the thread, I finally understand and would like Ridley to be a character. However, I'm not sure if I'd play as him too often.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Before I came onto this thread, I was baffled by the amount of people that wanted to play Ridley, mainly because of his size. After going through the thread, I finally understand and would like Ridley to be a character. However, I'm not sure if I'd play as him too often.
Neither would I, since I don't like slow characters, but that doesn't mean he can't work or doesn't deserve to be in the game.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I think Other M built up Ridley in a fantastic way, it just so happened to build down Samus at the same time.
Nice.

And yeah, that is kind of a bittersweet tradeoff, but it is what it is.

Neither would I, since I don't like slow characters, but that doesn't mean he can't work or doesn't deserve to be in the game.
Despite what Sakurai said, still think it would make more sense for Ridley to be fast than it would for him to be slow, but if the latter happens I'll live. Have mained slow characters in the series since Melee at least anyway.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
He's by far the most wanted Character for SSB4. And he was practically the most wanted Character for Brawl as well, I couldnt believe it when they decided to make him unplayable and only appear as a boss! Everyone was mad at Sakurai! I REALLY hope he makes it as a playable Character this time!

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
He's by far the most wanted Character for SSB4. And he was practically the most wanted Character for Brawl as well, I couldnt believe it when they decided to make him unplayable and only appear as a boss! Everyone was mad at Sakurai! I REALLY hope he makes it as a playable Character this time!
I wouldn't say Ridley is THE most wanted now, and he definitely wasn't for Brawl. Considering all the character that got in, for good reason, before Ridley in Brawl, it's pretty understandable why Ridley was overlooked. For some characters like R.O.B. and Wolf it may have been hard to swallow that they got in over Ridley, but there REALLY ISN'T a character in Brawl that should not have been there.

I mean, we hyped up Ridley a lot back in those days and a lot of people bought into it, so the people who are kind of DOOM AND GLOOM about what happened to him in Brawl and how it may happen again probably need a better understanding of just where Ridley stood back then. It's not so much even that Ridley got shafted last time. He wasn't THAT great of a pick back then. NOW though, it's a different story. He'll definitely happen.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Fair enough on the linearity part, though after Prime 3 and Fusion I had already gotten used to linearness by the time Other M even came out, and don't think it's nearly as much a crime for the series as it's made out to be. Fusion's one of my most replayed games in the franchise along with Prime despite being linear. Ironic since they both came out in the same year.

I wish Other M could be discussed in how it could help Ridley without people always arguing about things with the game itself or being too busy bawing over things like Ridley's design, but I guess that'll never happen. :u
I just kinda hold prime 1 as my favorite metroid game, and non-linearity was one of it's best strengths.

I agree that fusion is great though, and I didn't dislike other M. Just because I don't like it as much as prime 1 doesn't mean much, prime 1 is one of my favorite games, ever. I just hold the metroid franchise to extremely high standards.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
That is a very good observation. He had his 2D fireball and tail attacks, and then we got the Primes, and he didn't just that much attack wise. But in OM, despite Samus's flaws, Ridley never looked so good in the way he fought. The huge fireball that sent shock waves, the lunging forward and the tail stabs, it was a completely new enemy. And if they choose one game to base his attacks on, not his design of course, I pray it is Other M.
As for my favorite, I have to say Fusion, and Corruption. Corruption mainly because I loved the remote nunchuk combo, it just played great, and fusion because it was plain awesome, and I hope for either a Prime 4 or a Fusion 2 to launch on WiiU

:phone:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Think I'm starting to like Other Ridley's design now (including the head) more than I did before. I mean if it were to have this kind of shade of purple and stuff for Sm4sh I wouldn't complain or hardly think of it as ugly at all.

The head kinda reminds me of a Xenomorph now too ironically even though it's not the same as the Ridley most of us are used to, which I like.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Haters gonna hate I guess, but I don't mind him either way now.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Think I'm starting to like Other Ridley's design now (including the head) more than I did before. I mean if it were to have this kind of shade of purple and stuff for Sm4sh I wouldn't complain or hardly think of it as ugly at all.

The head kinda reminds me of a Xenomorph now too ironically even though it's not the same as the Ridley most of us are used to, which I like.
And you just know there's going to be other colors, anyways. I think the arms are a little too... obvious in this form, I prefer him more dragon-like. but I wouldn't complain either.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace

I would be perfectly happy with that design. I don't dislike the design as much anymore. When i first looked at the OM Ridley it was terrible looking and that is how it is remembered. If you take a long second look you realize it isnt that bad.

D

Deleted member

Glad to see others are starting to realize it's not as bad as people initially thought.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
You go against your own followers?!
Ridley shall get in, in whatever form he must! I will not have another game where I can't play as a people killing, pirate leading, fire shooting, wing flapping, tail swinging, claw swiping, jaw snapping Space Dragon.

:phone:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
HEY NOW, I'll accept Ridley's inevitable inclusion, but that's not going to make me like that design. It's bad.

I won't delude myself into thinking it's good just because I want him in so much. But I'll be happy no matter what as long as he is in.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Though fan-made, the image I posted is the Other M design, but with a color scheme that's much easier on the eyes and everything. If they were to have that kind of shade of purple for it in Sm4sh as well as the alternate colors we know he'll inevitably have if he's playable as Phaazoid pointed out, then they will have fixed the main thing that kept me from liking Other Ridley's design all around at first. If they were to copy and paste everything about Ridley's design in Other M directly onto Sm4sh on the other hand, then no. I wouldn't "delude" myself into thinking it's good... lulz

To those who will still choose to think the design is bad no matter what alternations were to be made to it in Sm4sh like the colors, so be it. Your opinion, but I personally think it kinda makes the most sense to go off that design for making him playable since Other Ridley was pretty much the most humanoid looking version there was, not to mention the one that was actually shown fighting on the ground the most, or dare I say more than any of the skinny pencil-necked incarnations were shown combined.

I still like the skinnier Ridley's designs better and all, but I've seen no reason for them not to go off of Other M's design for making Rids playable, aside from people's personal bias/preferences. If there's more legit reasons for them not to use it than that or "I think he's ugly", enlighten me.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
How about we just go with the most iconic version of Ridley.

Just because Other M is the newest doesn't mean it's what they'd use.

Especially because that game isn't a well beloved continuation of the story

D

Deleted member

You mean like how they used the most iconic versions of the Zelda characters and the StarFox characters in Brawl? Oh wait....

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, we could say the "Ridley" in other M was ugly simply because he was a clone. Maybe some kind of Mewtwo clone or Ripley clone. With hybrid DNA.

The games are based on the Alien movies after all.

After all, it isn't actually Ridley in Other M

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I'm just saying, it would be easier for them to make Ridley playable if they were to use the Other M version since the iconic version(s) aren't as humanoid and never fought on the ground nearly as much. Not to say Super Metroid Ridley being playable couldn't happen or something. I would love it prolly more than any other Ridley incarnation, but with the pattern Smash has gone by in using the most recent designs for a character as pointed out (OoT Link in Melee and TP Link in Brawl for example, despite OoT being a much more loved game), I just see the Other M design being the most reasonable for Sm4sh at the moment.

And fair enough on that last post. lol

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I still think it's more likely that he'll look like how he was in brawl.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Though fan-made, the image I posted is the Other M design, but with a color scheme that's much easier on the eyes and everything. If they were to have that kind of shade of purple for it in Sm4sh as well as the alternate colors we know he'll inevitably have if he's playable as Phaazoid pointed out, then they will have fixed the main thing that kept me from liking Other Ridley's design all around at first. If they were to copy and paste everything about Ridley's design in Other M directly onto Sm4sh on the other hand, then no. I wouldn't "delude" myself into thinking it's good... lulz
Your main gripe isn't the the one most people have with the design.

To those who will still choose to think the design is bad no matter what alternations were to be made to it in Sm4sh like the colors, so be it. Your opinion, but I personally think it kinda makes the most sense to go off that design for making him playable since Other Ridley was pretty much the most humanoid looking version there was, not to mention the one that was actually shown fighting on the ground the most, or dare I say more than any of the skinny pencil-necked incarnations were shown combined.
Trivial crap.

I still like the skinnier Ridley's designs better and all, but I've seen no reason for them not to go off of Other M's design for making Rids playable, aside from people's personal bias/preferences. If there's more legit reasons for them not to use it than that or "I think he's ugly", enlighten me.
Never suggested there was some kind of junk that would bar that design from being picked.

It's just ugly.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Your main gripe isn't the the one most people have with the design.
Seen it mentioned the most aside from the gripes with how the head looked, but okay.

Trivial crap.
So everything Other Ridley had and showed that the other versions didn't is just trivial crap? I guess that's why you even included one of its abilities in your moveset on the 1st post. :troll:

Never suggested there was some kind of junk that would bar that design from being picked.

It's just ugly.
I thought not. Was just making sure.

As it was in Other M I agree, but could be awesome looking if tweaked right in Sm4sh.

Top Bottom