• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Plus, if the Metroid series wasn't popular in Japan, Nintendo wouldn't have, you know, re-released the Gamecube Prime games there with motion controls. They're not going to release something they know isn't going to sell. :p
The original three Metroid games were all top sellers in Japan. It was really only the modern Metroid games that did not sell well, and even then the Japanese who do play them have a really high opinion of them (what surprised me is that they personally think highly of the Prime trilogy). Interestingly enough, they hate Other M just as much as the West does.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
The original three Metroid games were all top sellers in Japan. It was really only the modern Metroid games that did not sell well, and even then the Japanese who do play them have a really high opinion of them (what surprised me is that they personally think highly of the Prime trilogy). Interestingly enough, they hate Other M just as much as the West does.

Another thing that this "not popular/successful" argument fails to acknowledge is that Sonic games in recent years, outside of Colors and that Brotherhood RPG one, have been deemed rather....terrible. Like, miserably awful. And most classic Sonic fans despise them compared to the old games, at least from what I've seen.

Yet despite that, Sonic still garnered enough praise to become a last minute addition to Brawl.

Sooooo, why does this argument against Ridley hold any ground? I mean hell, KI and IC were hardly even known unless you lived in the 1980s, and R.O.B., as a project, was a relative failure and was scrapped quickly even though he did help launch the NES. Current success is not always important.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am really proud of everyone here. Even if Ridley is not confirmed tomorrow, I hope that all of you continue fighting the good fight in regards to Ridley.

However, if Ridley gets confirmed in eight hours that will be even better. Hopefully, the saga of Ridley and his support will go down forever among the Smash Bros. community for a fanbase that had tenacity and patience to continue supporting their character after a very long time and eventually ended up succeeding.

Truly no other character fanbase has fought as long or as hard as we had.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Also people need to stop bringing up the Melee intro and NES sprite. Doesn't mean anything.
I've said that plenty (at least about the NES sprites), but does anyone listen? Doesn't help either that people can say the same thing about Kraid's size when referring to his NES sprite as a way of making fun of how some here defend Ridley... lol That xpnc guy probably thought he was the first to do it when he was far from it.

Heh. Anyway... I'm glad I was at work for once with the whole thing with Mr. Lange that happened earlier. Probably not gonna pay much attention to the M15t3R E stuff or any gamefaqs-esque arguments from Ridley's hatebase going on for awhile either. It's my birthday now and time is money... If I don't see a purple flying dragon somewhere in the SSB4 trailer in the morning, I may just tl;dr this thread for a couple days or so.

And yeah John, you were a little unnecessarily hostile with ChozoBoy there. Didn't think anyone here would actually call him a troll.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Can't concentrate properly at work today, so I decided to get my hype out in the only way I know possible.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Thanks peeps! And nice drawings, both of you.

That's Old Bird on the left right? Good to see characters like him in some illustrations more often. That reminds me, am starting to work in photoshop more now thanks to some classes, so I should try drawing some Metroid characters again sometime, on photoshop via touchscreen if it doesn't work as well for me on paper at first, although that's something I've started to practice again more too.

Guess I'm going to sleep now.. Who knows what we'll all wake up to far as the trailer, Ridley or no Ridley.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I hope Ridley is announced but frankly in my best case scenario he gets overshadowed by Mega Man.

Let's see if either of them are lucky.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I'M LATE, I'M LATE, I'M LATE

I've been really busy these last months but I finally had the time to play all of my metroid games, some were very good (like Super Metroid and Zero Mission) and some were meh (only Other M and Return of Samus).
I do think that I will now follow the metroid series or at least the 2D titles who were definitly my favorites.

As for Ridley the poor space dragon never had a single victory over me but were definitly very close sometimes.
He had a few generic attacks but most of the times had very creatives and awsesome one which I will not mind to use as Ridley in SSB4.
I also really hope he will get a Meta Ridley alternative costume as it's my favorite Ridley's appearance .

Finally I take the time to time to read the manga and really did like it, but I was wondering, is it considered canon or not ?

Anyway, I hope your spaceship is big enough for one more, very late, space pirate (since I suppose Ridley take nearly all of the space in it :troll: ).

LONG LIVE RIDLEY !

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Finally I take the time to time to read the manga and really did like it, but I was wondering, is it considered canon or not ?

It's canon until the game says otherwise. That is, if the game opposes the manga's story the game wins out, but without other words on certain things the manga's stuff is canon. If that makes sense.

Also glad that you've been playing Metroid titles, my favorite game franchise ever.

I hope Ridley is announced but frankly in my best case scenario he gets overshadowed by Mega Man.

Let's see if either of them are lucky.

Best case scenario we get both.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So the final Ridley boss battle I did in my pre-E3 Ridley hype was in Super Smash Bros. Brawl just now. Let's hope that I knee'd him out of the boss spot and right into the character roster.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Knowing that we may soon run into a meteor storm after today's Nintendo Direct, I should really bring up the following stuff...

Ridley Size Controversy

From what I've been hearing, certain people don't think that Ridley can be playable, simply because he's depicted to be very big. That's a highly irrelevant excuse when you look at Bowser's size history.

In just about every Super Mario game to date, Bowser is shown to be way larger than Mario, but despite this, he still manages to get himself resized for spin-offs. And despite the constant size fluctuations, he manages to become a playable character in the Super Smash Bros. series.

Now, when you look at Ridley, his size history is not too different from Bowser's, as he was around the same size as Samus in Metroid. He was even resized to some extent in the Melee intro.

However, lately Ridley has been seen being way larger than Samus, even after changing into Meta Ridley.

Once we've got to Super Smash Bros. Brawl, while Bowser has managed to get away as a playable, Ridley got stuck with the boss role.

This in return has pretty much spawned an outrage that has lasted for years, or at least as long as I can remember. And saying that Ridley is too big is not an acceptable reason for this dilemma.

It should also be noted that when you look at Giga Bowser, Brawl Ridley really isn't any bigger than him. And depending on the circumstances, Giga Bowser himself can get resized to a smaller level.

Almost a full year ago, I inputted some size comparisons that would make Ridley qualify more as a playable character, with Bowser being one of the biggest examples to use.

Apart from the tail and wingspan, Ridley is shown to be around Bowser's height level with those size comparisons, which seems highly valid for playable Ridley.

Simply put, if Nintendo thought it over, the company could've easily resized Ridley to make him more acceptable as a playable character. The company did it with Bowser after all.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
10 minutes before the big show, it won't be long 'till we'll either delve into mass speculation or have the party of our lives. Or both.

There's not much more to say, so without further ado: Ridley for SSB4!

nessokman

Smash Lord
Sad your precious Ridley wasn't announced at the trailer. Megaman could kick Ridley's @$$ any day

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Ridley's time will come, we just have to wait a little longer.

Anyway really happy to have a Nintendogs stage ^^

Still now that the villager is in, should we give a look again to every character which Sakurai said no before?

Nintendogs for SSB4.

D

Deleted member

Ridley wasn't shown, give up hope. :troll:

But seriously, any hopes of that "abomination" Ridley from Other M not being the style Ridley takes has kind of dashed due to Samus being Other M style.
How does that make you guys feel?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

But seriously, any hopes of that "abomination" Ridley from Other M not being the style Ridley takes has kind of dashed due to Samus being Other M style.
Given the graphical style of this game I don't really mind actually. Samus looks killer too.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Unfortunately, Ridley wasn't seen in the trailer, but I won't count him out just yet. Smash Bros needs more Space Dragons!

LemonManX

Smash Lord
It's still early days, there's still a good chance Ridley will pop up later down the track.
We only caught two newcomers this time around, which is much less than in our first trailer for Brawl. Ridley's time will come.

However, if it's Other M Samus I hope we don't get stuck with an Other M-like Ridley...

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Other M Samus looks sleek, though... Other M Ridley is clearly an abomination. I suspect that Ridley will look like an amalgamation of the best traits that Ridley has shown off throughout the years. Mostly, I think his appearance will be pretty similar to that shown in Brawl.

Or, who knows, a few alt costumes for those who want to beat up Other M Ridley.

nessokman

Smash Lord

I thought samus looked like prime. Judging by her smooth arm cannon

D

Deleted member

Sad your precious Ridley wasn't announced at the trailer. Megaman could kick Ridley's @$$ any day
I'm extremely happy for Mega Man's inclusion and all (a dream come true for me), but that was totally uncalled for.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Mega Man vs. Ridley will be a beautiful battle.
Mega Man vs. Samus will be fantastic.
... Ridley eating a bunch of screaming Villagers? Also perfect. I hope that's an event match, a giant Ridley trying to kill as many tiny villagers as possible, heheh.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I believe they are saving their big guns for now.

I mean, there were just two newcomers shown.

Don't give up hope yet, guys. We will do it.

Top Bottom