• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Mega Man in terms of Ridley, has anyone thought about this:
If Sakurai wanted to reflect Mega Man's NES days in his style, wouldn't it also be possible that Sakurai would consider the same for Ridley?

Like take this:

And evolve it into a new concept of Ridley that no one has ever seen solely for Smash?

So hypothetically, let's say his later appearances are in fact "too big". Still leaves his original appearance to be expanded upon to make a viable character out of him.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
If Sakurai wanted to reflect Mega Man's NES days in his style, wouldn't it also be possible that Sakurai would consider the same for Ridley?

Like take this:

And evolve it into a new concept of Ridley that no one has ever seen solely for Smash?

So hypothetically, let's say his later appearances are in fact "too big". Still leaves his original appearance to be expanded upon to make a viable character out of him.

:urg:

D

Deleted member

I said "evolve it".

It wouldn't be literally the NES Ridley. Just the initial style.
Then expand it into something comparable to this:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I was just joking around, you're gonna have to try really hard to offend me :p
Maybe next time im highh like Lakitu i will give it a try...xD jkn man kl.

Wouldn't that be "Running with the Devil"?

But yes, it looks like he's probably a stage hazard. Let's just hope our good pal Ridley doesn't end up the same way...because I don't want to see him repeat his appearance from Dead or Alive Dimensions...
RealTalk...going from a boss to stage hazard or assist trophy is a slap in the face...but seeing how metroid is generaly treated in Smash it seems fitting...(-_-)

Keeshu

Smash Ace

Like take this:

I believe the main reason why they chose the NES Megaman style was because of how popular Megaman 2 was, and with how popular megaman was with all those megaman games on the NES. Even after newer megaman games came out there were still a lot of people that use the NES sprites showing that still loved the sprite's look. I'm sure I could think of some other reasons why they used the sprite but you get my point.

Ridley isn't exactly known for his NES sprite since he just stands there with a rather goofy looking sprite instead of moving around being intimidating. Most people think of Ridley as his Super Metroid version for some good reasons. He leaves a very good first impression at the start of the game since you probably won't be good enough to beat him before he gets you to low health and so you hear the beeping of your suit. Then he moves closer to you sometimes while being rather small room making it so you feel like you cannot get away (unlike other bosses).

With that said I'd be very disappointed if they used that sprite. At least he'd be in there, better than him being a birdy.....

D

Deleted member

Sometimes I feel I have to frigging bold my point or type it in huge letters, since people can't seem to see this point:

And evolve it into a new concept of Ridley that no one has ever seen solely for Smash

I'm NOT saying use NES Ridley.
I'm saying start with the base concept; the size, the structure, the style of emphasizing flying and fire breathing, and spice it up into something new that can't be claimed "too big", "too slow", "too scary", or any other too stupid excuse against Ridley.

A style comparable to Firebrand in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, which I explained in a previous post.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm not sure people would like a smash-specific version of Ridley.

And even if they go that route, the Super Metroid version of Ridley is more iconic and should be used as a starting point instead.

1983parrothead

Smash Cadet
Then how do you explain his most recent appearance? If size doesn't matter, then why not add a mech like the ST Falcon from Battle Clash and Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge and Warrior Mech Gauss from Chosoju Mecha MG?

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
A style comparable to Firebrand in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, which I explained in a previous post.
Which is basically how I designed him to be, a character based on flight qualities. And I just thought of something, an actual possible benefit coming from Ridley's Other M appearance.

While somewhat ugly and different from other Ridley appearances, it's a form I believe to have the most...how shall I say...diversity when designing a moveset and appearance. Aside from being the most fighting-based Ridley yet, this Ridley is a clone of the original, which means that the design of having a Ridley smaller than what the Real Ridley is when said Ridley comes from MOM would be is all the more possible. Then again, nothing about Smash Bros is canon so the argument of "It's not like the real Ridley" can't really apply since it's not the real anyone. They're all just caricatures of their real selves. Also, I'm sure most people already thought of this, but I guess I'm just trying to get the discussions going since it's been pretty slow lately. :ohwell:

D

Deleted member

Because no one cares about the ST Falcon or the Warrior Mech Gauss?

Pretty sure size isn't the main thing going against them.

Size isn't really an issue; otherwise Olimar would not be in Brawl.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Then how do you explain his most recent appearance? If size doesn't matter, then why not add a mech like the ST Falcon from Battle Clash and Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge and Warrior Mech Gauss from Chosoju Mecha MG?
Because they're so unknown and obscure that nobody even cares about their inclusion. Also, why are you comparing almost unknown Japanese-based game characters to a hugely known Nintendo icon that's known worldwide by millions upon millions of people? It's like saying if you can add Sonic, why not Ristar.

D

Deleted member

To be honest, as obscure as he is, I wouldn't mind Doshin as a character regardless of size.
He can be the embodiment of the phrase "kill them with kindness". :awesome:

And if he can go Jashin as well, that'd be pretty sweet too.

EDIT: He could serve to give Ridley a "giant" buddy. :troll:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Because no one cares about the ST Falcon or the Warrior Mech Gauss?

Pretty sure size isn't the main thing going against them.

Size isn't really an issue; otherwise Olimar would not be in Brawl.
I recently did some size comparisons of Olimar in Brawl to other characters. First off, Olimar is taller than some other characters that would in-fact tower over him, like Kirby and Meta Knight, but Olimar comes up to around a little shorter than Mario's height, which means that if we were to take said size and convert it into feet, Olimar is around 3 feet 6 inches tall when compared to other characters of said size. Olimar's actual size is one and a half inches tall, which means Olimar has had his size upped over 40x what it really is. That's a huge jump in size increase. And even when shrunk by a poison mushroom, he's still well over 10 to 11 times his normal size.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I actually wouldn't mind the idea of a new Ridley specific to Smash to get around his proportions and/or concept. I mean if Sakurai really thought it was too difficult to include him in a way that most of us imagine I'd be all for it. It's not too outlandish of an idea to consider as well.

To me Olimar, Mega Man, Ice Cimbers, Falcon, Star Foxes, and even ROB fit the reworking for Smash philosophy.

When I first saw Olimar's reveal on the dojo I scrolled down and honestly expected you would control a swarm of ant sized Pikmin with Olimar at its center. I should have known but to me that's no different then what you are suggesting with Ridley.

If Ridley was modeled with more human proportions like his SNES box art I'd be a little disappointed but extremely happy they got him in one way or another.
image.jpg

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If Yellow Devil is bigger than Ridley, that alone should make people stop complaining about Ridley's size. Even Galleom outsizes Ridley, if no one has realized that yet.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
If Yellow Devil is bigger than Ridley, that alone should make people stop complaining about Ridley's size. Even Galleom outsizes Ridley, if no one has realized that yet.
Galleom pretty much outsizes every single possible playable character for Smash Bros, he's well over 30 feet tall, which is taller than Ridley has ever been in any of his appearances. And I'm not sure about Yellow Devil being bigger than Ridley, but then again, it all depends on perspective. I mean there's times where he's around three times as big as MegaMan, which if MegaMan is around 5-5 1/2 feet tall, means he's around 16 feet tall. However, he's appeared to be the size of freaking buildings before:

I estimate THIS appearance being between 90 to 100 feet tall, possibly taller. And that eye is horrifying.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The Super Metroid design, aka Brawl design, is the best case scenario if you ask me. Though I do see them just making adjustements to the Other M model as the possibility, and honestly, as long as he's in I'm happy.

D

Deleted member

Wow, seeing the two boxes back to back, the American version really butchered Ridley's design.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
You'd be disappointed with the Super/Brawl design, RomanceDawn?

By the way I always love seeing that art of Ridley. Don't see it very often.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
And what about flying?
See Charizard, have the wings spread to the side, it won't be a problem hitbox-wise and just make them a bit tiny. Ridley didn't get his enormous wingspan before Metroid Prime, and even then he retained his smaller wings in future 2D appearances. If anything, the majority of Ridley's appearances have him being carried by unrealistic little wings, so it's not a problem as far as I see it.

1983parrothead

Smash Cadet
Firebrand (or Red Arremer) had a flying limit according to his Game Boy, NES and SNES appearances.

I can imagine it looking awkward to see him briefly fly in SSB4 compared to his major appearances. Bowser was added, because he is a wacky character, while Ridley isn't. Of course Samus isn't wacky either, but her style fits SSB well.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Look, I've already designed Ridley in a video regarding a moveset using versatile flying mix-ups, it's on page 109, go watch it and you'll see how Ridley doesn't need to always fly to be true to his character.
It's only true to Ridley's character to not fly at all times. He can obviously fight grounded as he did in Prime, Prime 3 and Other M, the two latter mentioned he's on the ground for the majority of time. It'd be like making Charizard airbourne at all times just because he's a Flying-type.

I can imagine it looking awkward to see him briefly fly in SSB4 compared to his major appearances. Bowser was added, because he is a wacky character, while Ridley isn't. Of course Samus isn't wacky either, but her style fits SSB well.
Ganondorf isn't exactly wacky either is he? Saying that only wacky characters fit in is pretty... eh...

Ridley's style fits SSB as well as Samus'.

1983parrothead

Smash Cadet
Hmmm, Meta Knight was added, mainly because Sakurai created him. Then I guess only time will tell if Sakurai will add Ridley in as a playable character or as a non-playable character like in SSBB.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
It's only true to Ridley's character to not fly at all times. He can obviously fight grounded as he did in Prime, Prime 3 and Other M, the two latter mentioned he's on the ground for the majority of time. It'd be like making Charizard airbourne at all times just because he's a Flying-type.
It's quite funny that Charizard is even considered a flying type when it couldn't fly for over three generations of pokemon games. :p

Ganondorf isn't exactly wacky either is he? Saying that only wacky characters fit in is pretty... eh...

Ridley's style fits SSB as well as Samus'.
Wacky characters can only make it? The last time I checked, the Fire Emblem characters, Samus, Ganondorf and Solid Snake weren't wacky in the slightest. I don't even think he knows what he's talking about.

Argument invalid.
Doesn't that pretty much count for ALL Kirby characters?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Hmmm, Meta Knight was added, mainly because Sakurai created him.
And because he's actually an important part of a popular franchise and was a popular character choice. Sakurai has never added characters just because they're his own, he even decided against Dedede in Melee solely because he didn't want to over-represent his own franchise, or so goes half of the rumor, the other half points to Dedede being dropped for the 6 clones, but that's another discussion.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Hmmm, Meta Knight was added, mainly because Sakurai created him. Then I guess only time will tell if Sakurai will add Ridley in as a playable character or as a non-playable character like in SSBB.
Oh of course, it has nothing to do with the fact that the Kirby series was under-repped for two games and needed a newcomer, it's totally because Sakurai created him because Sakurai chooses favorites. :rolleyes:

1983parrothead

Smash Cadet
And because he's actually an important part of a popular franchise and was a popular character choice. Sakurai has never added characters just because they're his own, he even decided against Dedede in Melee solely because he didn't want to over-represent his own franchise, or so goes half of the rumor, the other half points to Dedede being dropped for the 6 clones, but that's another discussion.

I knew that.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Firebrand (or Red Arremer) had a flying limit according to his Game Boy, NES and SNES appearances.
I take it my point literally flew right over your head, didn't it?

I'd also like to add in that he wanted Dedede since 64 since he, along with Bowser and Mewtwo, were playable during the game's development stages.

1983parrothead

Smash Cadet
Then you would also know that Meta Knight didn't make it in just because Sakurai created him. :glare:

This is getting pretty silly if you ask me.
Perhaps it's because they most likely ran out of development time and / or digital memory adding important characters and other data. I also assume that Sakurai wanted to either keep Kirby alone or add all three Kirby characters.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Wait a minute... Have you been around here before, Parrothead?

There was a Parrothead around here pre-Brawl, that I think was a Starfy fan too. Always pushed for more obscure characters. Cool guy. Parrothead isn't that unusual of a name I suppose, but it's still weird if you happened to come up with the same one, lol.

WELL NOW AFTER SEEING YOUR SIGNATURE YOU'RE SURELY THE SAME ONE AND JUST FORGOT YOUR PASSWORD...

Top Bottom