• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I was at 52/48 before this reveal (51/49 before the Olimar & Kirby pic), so I was practically already there.

Okay guys, here's some silly, possibly delusional thinking here.

Sakurai confirms Other M Ridley shows up as a stage hazard.
Then months later after the 2nd Great Ridley Depression, Ridley is revealed as playable.
Not Other M Ridley, but Super Metroid Ridley.
Sakurai provides his reasoning:

"Over time, Ridley has been soundly defeated and gone for good, only to rise from the dead once again. Each time he is like a newly born creature. First he was the Ridley of Zebes. Then he was reborn as Meta-Ridley. Next, phazon made him into Omega Ridley. From there, he returned to his home planet as Ridley of Zebes once again. When it seemed like the threat of Ridley was finally a thing of the past, he came back as a cloned specimen revived by humans. Finally, there is 'Ridley-X', an alien life form that assumed the shape of Ridley.

While it makes sense to believe there is only one true Ridley, I like to think that there are actually many Ridleys. So I felt it was okay to have more than one Ridley co-exist with each other. You can say that the real Ridley gets to see his clone face-to-face. It's very surreal!"

This isn't the same idea as "Clones everywhere!" Rather, it's a different and rather unique way to represent both Ridley and the progress of the Metroid series. It's actually somewhat rational, if a bit bizarre. In a strange way, Sakurai has sort of already done this by having both organic Ridley and Meta-Ridley exist within the same story. They don't show up at the same time, and rightfully so, but he does go straight from organic to Meta with no explanation. Almost as if there were actually two Ridley's in Subspace Emissary.

...But let's not adopt this as some new pro-Ridley strategy or even a possibility. It's just a thought, and I don't believe for a second Sakurai would think this. 'Cause otherwise he would show the Metroid series more respect that he currently does...>_>

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I was at 52/48 before this reveal (51/49 before the Olimar & Kirby pic), so I was practically already there.

[stuff]

...But let's not adopt this as some new pro-Ridley strategy or even a possibility. It's just a thought, and I don't believe for a second Sakurai would think this. 'Cause otherwise he would show the Metroid series more respect that he currently does...>_>
That would be the best, most troll-tastic but at the same time most profitable way of doing things.

but who would tell anyone who leaves after ridley is "deconfirmed"

Groose

Smash Champion

It may be best to abandon hope if Ridley is indeed a hazard. After all, the chance of disappointment would be incredibly high.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Sakurai confirms Other M Ridley shows up as a stage hazard.
Then months later after the 2nd Great Ridley Depression, Ridley is revealed as playable.
Not Other M Ridley, but Super Metroid Ridley.
Sakurai provides his reasoning:

"Over time, Ridley has been soundly defeated and gone for good, only to rise from the dead once again. Each time he is like a newly born creature. First he was the Ridley of Zebes. Then he was reborn as Meta-Ridley. Next, phazon made him into Omega Ridley. From there, he returned to his home planet as Ridley of Zebes once again. When it seemed like the threat of Ridley was finally a thing of the past, he came back as a cloned specimen revived by humans. Finally, there is 'Ridley-X', an alien life form that assumed the shape of Ridley.

While it makes sense to believe there is only one true Ridley, I like to think that there are actually many Ridleys. So I felt it was okay to have more than one Ridley co-exist with each other. You can say that the real Ridley gets to see his clone face-to-face. It's very surreal!"

This isn't the same idea as "Clones everywhere!" Rather, it's a different and rather unique way to represent both Ridley and the progress of the Metroid series. It's actually somewhat rational, if a bit bizarre. In a strange way, Sakurai has sort of already done this by having both organic Ridley and Meta-Ridley exist within the same story. They don't show up at the same time, and rightfully so, but he does go straight from organic to Meta with no explanation. Almost as if there were actually two Ridley's in Subspace Emissary.

Yea I guess that's possible since the humans resurrected him but is the other m Ridley the same Ridley we know in love and the other m Ridley is a clone of the original for help DNA from Ridleys first ever corpse and after the other m Ridley was born a little bit later or during the development of the clone the real Ridley resurrected

And as for this 55% playable and 45% stage hazard

If stage hazard could be 2 Ridleys the smaller Ridley is the original the big one is the clone

Xigger

Smash Lord
It may be best to abandon hope if Ridley is indeed a hazard. After all, the chance of disappointment would be incredibly high.

It might be best to abandon hope anyways. The hype is too great, this is Ridley's boss stage in Other M, he played stage hazard in this exact stage in Dead or Alive, over-reactive fans are grasping straws trying to avoid the most logical conclusion.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
It might be best to abandon hope anyways. The hype is too great, this is Ridley's boss stage in Other M, he played stage hazard in this exact stage in Dead or Alive, over-reactive fans are grasping straws trying to avoid the most logical conclusion.
reading this is really depressing especially when you just happen to be listening to the song of healing....

Michael Blaine

Smash Apprentice
I dont understand...time doesnt speed up or slow down for no women or man no matter how strong or wealthy or healthy or ANYTHING!

i know its a bummee but guess what?

We have all have to do something called ''Waiting''

Some PeePz have more patience than others....

So now we are all waiting you all know that.

Now you lot need to decide what your gonna do to pass time seemse like you all have come up with the idea to b_tch at one another about the topic which keeps your mind focused and now its gonna seem like some has played the song of inverted time.....

Im the last person who would like to play ''The BiG man role''

Trust me...but Gahhhddd....get it together RealTalk....acting like b_tches....so immature.....

Go play a game
Gp out with friends
Go see your girlfriend
Watch a film.....

My vocabulary is trash im not insanely smart but boy.....i know stupid pointless s_it when i see it.....

Just wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is arguing gonna do if everyone is stubborn to the bone? We all have our opnions on s_it and were all so stubborn so we are not gonna change our opnions to the other persons.....convince them of anything...

You lot have found a game to play to pass time to wait and it is the #1 most stupid ******** worse idea ever...

Arguing for nothing a un-winnable game attempting to sway everyones opnion to jump in your boat yo whats the winners prize?

Pffftt.....f_ck me.....close this forum go do something else atleast untill we actually have something new info to talk about basicly untill tommorrows pic of the day if its a follow up to what jappened lol i bet its gonna be some random pic anyway....

RealTalk.
funnily enough, despite your writing style, to me you seem smarter than most.. REALTALK

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
here's tomorrow's picture from the future:

totally is from the futureee. and not from DO:A...

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Seeing this stage and Sakurai's comment actually makes me think that he is more likely to be playable. If we see more pictures of this stage without Ridley in them as a hazard it will make him seem all the more likely, although I was thinking that Ridley would be the last character revealed as the grand finale final character.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I guess we'll have to do a Viridi on the roster chart thread and blank out Ridley :troll:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I still don't think he's legitimately deconfirmed yet.

before today I really didn't think this would ever come this way. like, EVER. (I guess that's my fault though. I DID listen to these guys...)

...........I really got to stop the song of healing. it's making me depressed :p

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So anything new guys? I've been gone all day. I see this thread is chugging right along, and Oasis's Stiffy has yet to show it's true potential. It's ok guys. Even if Ridley isn't playable, at least Sakurai is acknowledging his awesomeness in different ways.

Even though I quite honestly believe that a playable status would be the best of the best for Ridley, there is quite honestly nothing we can do about it if it happens.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
So anything new guys? I've been gone all day. I see this thread is chugging right along, and Oasis's Stiffy has yet to show it's true potential. It's ok guys. Even if Ridley isn't playable, at least Sakurai is acknowledging his awesomeness in different ways.

Even though I quite honestly believe that a playable status would be the best of the best for Ridley, there is quite honestly nothing we can do about it if it happens.
continue to fight harder and louder for SSB5 is an option. However, it would be a poor marketing choice not only for the game, but the Wii U itself if Ridley isn't in.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well other m Ridley can be assumed as a cloned if stage hazard since the humans created Ridley in that game and the DNA is gotten from the first dead Ridley from plant zebes and the real one resurrected ( assuming that's how they created little birdie with later evolve to butt head ridley witch evolved again to the official Ridley body)

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
I'm optimistic; Sakurai obviously knows about which characters are extremely desired, hence the inclusion of Mega Man. He wouldn't tease like this if it wasn't going to be worth it in the end.

Even if Ridley isn't playable, this hardly proves it.

CalumG

Smash Lord
A part of me almost hopes Ridley is de-confirmed - I don't particularly care if he's in or not, but I'd play as him - just to knock the Smash community down a peg. People are so dead set about certain things in Smash; "Takamaru is the most likely retro rep", "Ridley is a shoe-in", "Why did you put X character in your roster when Isaac is clearly getting in first". Between the inclusion of the Wii Fit Trainer, the announcement of Luigi (historical in that Sakurai doesn't typically announce unlockables, nor have Luigi as a starter) and the deconfirmation of Ridley, it'd basically prove beyond doubt that half the time the Smash community doesn't know sh*t about what it's talking about and that we should just sit down and enjoy the ride since the other half of the time we don't even know what we really want (who really asked for Pokemon Trainer pre-announcement? But who would want him gone now he's in?).

So yeah... shoot me.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I'm optimistic; Sakurai obviously knows about which characters are extremely desired, hence the inclusion of Mega Man. He wouldn't tease like this if it wasn't going to be worth it in the end.

Even if Ridley isn't playable, this hardly proves it.
That's right my post above supports that a little story how the other m Ridley could be a clone of the official Ridley witch is 80% true if you played other m

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
A part of me almost hopes Ridley is de-confirmed - I don't particularly care if he's in or not, but I'd play as him - just to knock the Smash community down a peg. People are so dead set about certain things in Smash; "Takamaru is the most likely retro rep", "Ridley is a shoe-in", "Why did you put X character in your roster when Isaac is clearly getting in first". Between the inclusion of the Wii Fit Trainer, the announcement of Luigi (historical in that Sakurai doesn't typically announce unlockables, nor have Luigi as a starter) and the deconfirmation of Ridley, it'd basically prove beyond doubt that half the time the Smash community doesn't know sh*t about what it's talking about and that we should just sit down and enjoy the ride since the other half of the time we don't even know what we really want (who really asked for Pokemon Trainer pre-announcement? But who would want him gone now he's in?).

So yeah... shoot me.
Expecting regular Bang-bang? TOO BAD LUIGI TIME!

Michael Blaine

Smash Apprentice
Seeing this stage and Sakurai's comment actually makes me think that he is more likely to be playable. If we see more pictures of this stage without Ridley in them as a hazard it will make him seem all the more likely, although I was thinking that Ridley would be the last character revealed as the grand finale final character.
I kinda agree. Sakurai really is a troll. I could see him using one Ridley version as a stage hazard and another as a playable.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
In my opinion, although Ridley is a rather big (HA) deal, it shouldn't stop people from buying the game. We don't always get things we want. If anything, this should prepare us for further disappointment if it turns out that K.Rool isn't getting in either.

This game is going to be great regardless of the appearance or lack of 1 or 2 characters. Everybody needs to just chill the **** out.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Man, I said the same thing a few pages back and got shooed off as a preach.
Or a peach.
I'm still not quite sure about what he was trying to convey with that word.

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
#cutforRidley
Anyway, dont lose hope yet! Sakurai knows people want Ridley in. Taunting us with the "appear at any second" would be beyond troll, it would be kind of cruel.
And as people have said, from being a Boss (twice) to just a stage hazard....no, just no.
Be patient people, keep believing.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Being a sky-based character is a unique trait, but keep in mind both Pit and Falco share this attribute, and ariel grabs are a good idea that isn't necessarily new either. Maybe not quite in the form you have in mind, but Bowser and the two Captain Falcons both have grabs that can be used in the air. Sure they're not directional and are both not very combo oriented, but ungrounded throws wouldn't make Ridley the bee all and end all.
Pit was worthless in the air in Brawl, and Falco is not much different from Fox. His moves are at maximum value just above the ground, and his whole dealio in Melee is to link up aerials with specials, whereas in Brawl it's about specials to tilts and aerials.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Hey guys, don't be sad! I happen to know that Ridley is confirmed and will appear on the dojo tomorrow! Here's official Smash Bros art!

A strange art direction but I'm sure you guys are fine with it

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The fact that people believe the absence of fan favorite characters isn't a legitimate Smash game criticism is baffling to me.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
A part of me almost hopes Ridley is de-confirmed - I don't particularly care if he's in or not, but I'd play as him - just to knock the Smash community down a peg. People are so dead set about certain things in Smash
You mean awesome character ideas that could be unique and unlike anything that we've done before=???

Yeah, let's get more half-a**ed clones instead because some random guy on the internet said so!

Toad, Waluigi, Bowser Jr., Shadow Mario, Metal Mario, Toon Zelda, and Toon Sheik galore!!! HAIL HAIL!!!
This game is going to be great regardless of the appearance or lack of 1 or 2 characters. Everybody needs to just chill the **** out.
I don't know about the game being great. Brawl wasn't worth the $50 I paid for it, and neither was the Wii and the $250 I paid for that. The only reason I kept both of them were Brawl mods.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You mean awesome character ideas that could be unique and unlike anything that we've done before=???

Yeah, let's get more half-a**ed clones instead because some random guy on the internet said so!

Toad, Waluigi, Bowser Jr., Shadow Mario, Metal Mario, Toon Zelda, and Toon Sheik galore!!! HAIL HAIL!!!

I don't know about the game being great. Brawl wasn't worth the $50 I paid for it, and neither was the Wii and the $250 I paid for that. The only reason I kept both of them were Brawl mods.
Maybe you're right. But it is rather hysterical how many people have lost complete faith in this game because of ONE character.

Hong

The Strongest
I don't know about the game being great. Brawl wasn't worth the $50 I paid for it
Hard to argue with that, from me.

I like the fan service... The cutscenes up until the Tabuu thing, the trophies, a lot of the music. But beyond that, I don't feel happy with my purchase, either. :/

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Maybe you're right. But it is rather hysterical how many people have lost complete faith in this game because of ONE character.
One character that fits in the roster really nice mind you. He could be a heavyweight (seriously, Link's a heavyweight; without his armor he weighs around 140 pounds), he could fly, and he could be the most aerial-centered character in smash ever.

Smash's lack of heavyweights, villains, aerial game (well, sans spot air dodging in Brawl, which bores the crap out of everyone involved) and really "intimidating" characters really points at Ridley being playable. I mean really, do you think Sakurai is going to continue to add lower weight characters like the Villager, Mega Man, and the Wii Fit Trainer.
Its almost 2014, hopefully this game will have a story like colosseum AND a battle mode like stadium, with easy online access and battles. Easily a console seller for me.
You mean like Battle Revolution=??? I wouldn't put too much faith in Nintendo seeing as how they are shooting themselves in the foot a lot with the Wii U.
Hard to argue with that, from me.

I like the fan service... The cutscenes up until the Tabuu thing, the trophies, a lot of the music. But beyond that, I don't feel happy with my purchase, either. :/
The community via mods and hacks ultimately prevented me from selling my Wii and my copy of Brawl. However, I still haven't played vanilla Brawl since 2009.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
We will likely know before the end of this week. Sakurai likely knows the ****storm he caused, so he will likely be giving us a straight answer soon, for better or for worse. This is a man that has found the fountain of youth through fanboy tears. Why do you think this man is in his mid 40s yet still looks like a young man?
Sorry to butt in, but I laughed so hard at this.

----

Top Bottom