• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Since 2007, I have long accepted that I won't always get all the characters I wanted in Smash. Sure, there are a handful of characters I want and might get in SSB4 but there will always be a handful of other characters I want but might not get in SSB4. Even if I don't get Duck Hunt Dog, Toad, Meowth, etc. in SSB4... at least I will get some characters that I wanted in SSB4 even if they weren't high on my top 30 most-wanted newcomers... like Villager. Even if Ridley is not in SSB4, surely there are other characters you want in SSB4 that you might get in the game... like Mega Man.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Since 2007, I have long accepted that I won't always get all the characters I wanted in Smash. Sure, there are a handful of characters I want and might get in SSB4 but there will always be a handful of other characters I want but might not get in SSB4. Even if I don't get Duck Hunt Dog, Toad, Meowth, etc. in SSB4... at least I will get some characters that I wanted in SSB4 even if they weren't high on my top 30 most-wanted newcomers... like Villager. Even if Ridley is not in SSB4, surely there are other characters you want in SSB4 that you might get in the game... like Mega Man.
I like the inclusion of Mega Man, and I'd like K. Rool too, but my reaction to Mega Man, my second most wanted newcomers, was nothing more than "Yeah, great!" and that was it. There's not a single character that wasn't in Brawl that I'd think about maining or alting besides Ridley because it was a great roster, but not having any characters to look forward to is a big hype killer, which is another reason why it's so bitter that Ridley could be ruled out this early. Of course he could be announced too, but that'd just make me 10 times more hyped for this than I was for Brawl, and I'd be set for the rest of all Smash games as long as Ridley is in.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If Ridley's deconfirmed at least I'll still have Mewtwo to most likely look forward to (unlike Brawl) and turn my attention to K. Rool (who I've more or less supported as much as Ridley) perhaps even more... But if there's no Ridley, I won't be desperate enough for a "Metroid rep" as to start wanting Anthony Higgs or someone else even more, and I know I don't speak for myself on that. I mean if Anthony was a sidekick character that I actually grew up with like Dixie Kong then it'd might be a different story, but as it is I see no reason to support one-shot characters like him despite what Diddy, or even Sakurai may think.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I would not shift to supporting Anthony if Ridley were disconfirmed because I see him as a marginally better Reggie Fils-Aime; the only value of both characters stems from their memetic natures, but at least Anthony is a video game character.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I would not shift to supporting Anthony if Ridley were disconfirmed because I see him as a marginally better Reggie Fils-Aime; the only value of both characters stems from their memetic natures, but at least Anthony is a video game character.
But at least Reggie is funny. I'd rather have Reggie than Anthony, and that says A LOT since I'd probably throw my computer out of my window if Reggie made it in. Glad that neither will be a reality though.

Anyways, it's probably best we don't go totally anti on any other characters from now on, right now it's just about Ridley in our little den here.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I have to agree about Anthony, he doesn't have much to him to make him that good a Metroid candidate for me, especially since most of his popularity does come from the meme and not the character itself.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No he got a great character in Other M to. I was never around in the first place when the 'Mysterious Black Dude' was one of the biggest internet hypes ever. 'Remember me?' though will always be ironic. And Anthony's taunts would even put Captain Falcon's to shame.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Anthony is a good character, but I would rather have an epic space dragon with a great and original moveset than another human in a battle suit.

He just does not deserve the slot as much as Ridley does.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
No he got a great character in Other M to. I was never around in the first place when the 'Mysterious Black Dude' was one of the biggest internet hypes ever. 'Remember me?' though will always be ironic. And Anthony's taunts would even put Captain Falcon's to shame.
Mysterious Black Dude has never been one of the biggest internet hypes ever. It was more of a joke that we Metroid fans had going, there was nothing hype over it, we were just mocking bad trailer presentation. It was a pretty underground meme because it was mostly exclusive to us Metroid fans, in comparison to other internet memes it pales, he didn't even get on Falcon's level of popularity in the meme world.

I will admit that he was the only decent character in Other M though, but his personality was also that of a very generic supporting character, and he doesn't really have all-star qualities, and he'll likely never star in a Metroid adventure again, or at least not in the foreseeable future.

I suggest we keep this out of this thread though.

Btw, as a C. Falcon main I respectfully disagree with your last statement :p He's the only character I always taunt with after every kill.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai has shown to listen to popularity ever since half the newcomers in Melee were apparently chosen due to popular demand (excluding the clones).

That said, Japanese popularity plays a hugely larger role than popularity from elsewhere. Which could be one of the reasons Ridley might be a hazard, but it shouldn't really affect K. Rool, his popularity is strong worldwide. And who knows, if we get Little Mac Sakurai might think the western fanbase has been appeased enough (he doesn't like including too many characters with largely localized popularity).
I think Sakurai is going to place more emphasis on western popularity here because of this quote:
Sakurai said:
#171-180: Now that Smash is world-renowned, they don't want to include characters only popular in Japan. However, due to the success of the Fire Emblem characters, they still may.
Given that Japanese have generally less requests overall for characters (and an greater amount of pessimism at that), he may turn to the Western fan base for a few characters. With Ridley being the most wanted character with a main focus on the West, if Sakurai is intending on including a character to satisfy Western demand, Ridley is the best choice to pick from popularity-wise and looking at his résume. Not saying he'll be in or that Little Mac is a bad choice, but I'm just saying that if Sakurai wants to add a character to appease Western fans, Ridley is simply the better choice.

That being said, as I said before, I don't think Ridley's exclusion will affect anyone outside of maybe slightly boosting the chance of a much lesser likely Metroid character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
@KingofPhantoms : No of coarse he doesn't. All I'm saying is that he's easily the Second best thing for Metroid after Ridley. And seeing the Other M emphasize in this game, it could happen? Low chances, but I'd definitely pick him over no Ridley. And even wanted him and Ridley togheter cause... Well, I wanna beat Ridley properly as Anthony :c

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I still think Anthony is most likely to become an Assist Trophy if he appears at all. His entire role in Other M is to assist you, really. The charge-up on that plasma gun of his begs to be an Assist Trophy, you know?

I'm otherwise content with Anthony being playable--I'd be extremely happy, actually. He just doesn't seem like he's at all likely when he's only appeared in one game in the series so far.

In terms of likelihood:
Ridley > No Metroid newcomers > Dark Samus > Anthony Higgs > Anyone else

In terms of my preference:
Ridley > Anthony Higgs > Dark Samus > Anyone else > No Metroid newcomers

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I personally have never liked the sound of a "dark" version of a character being playable. They should remain palette swaps or costumes, no more.

@KingofPhantoms : No of coarse he doesn't. All I'm saying is that he's easily the Second best thing for Metroid after Ridley. And seeing the Other M emphasize in this game, it could happen? Low chances, but I'd definitely pick him over no Ridley. And even wanted him and Ridley togheter cause... Well, I wanna beat Ridley properly as Anthony :c
Completely understandable. He's a good character (to my knowledge) and is the second most viable choice. (Mother Brain being the beast she is, unlike Ridley I can't really see her as a normal Smash fighter, same goes for Kraid) If I could, I'd include him and Ridley, but I personally think it would be shameful to include a secondary hero that was recently introduced to the series over an iconic villain with great potential.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
If Olimar (1 inch) can make it, why can't ridley? Also, remember how big Bowser is in some games. In Super Mario Bros. he wasn't that big compared to Mario. And he was a giant in Mario sunshine. What's wrong with Ridley?

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Fire emblem has a huge variety of characters, they typically the main protagonists of each game. Metroid stars samus... And....Ridley? Loljk Anthony FTW. To be fair, ness is a veteran fighter, and Lucas makes 2 from that series. Sakurai sees ZSS as another metroid rep
Bah... whatever, yeah Metroid has two reps in the looks of Sakurai (I still count Samus and ZSS the same character because is the same persona), but still I can´t pass the idea that StarFox, Kirby and Fire Emblem have three reps when Donkey Kong and Metroid (both series in my eyes more important) have only two characters each, is like throwing those franchises from the window.

Like I say before, Metroid has more reps than only Samus and Ridley, they have Dark Samus, Noxus, Spire, Kanden, Sylux, Trace, Weavel and Anthony Higgs (should I even say the six hunters are playable in multiplayer mode in Metroid Prime Hunters) and if you will say "but they appear in only one game except Dark Samus", I will call that BU.....HIT Lucas has only appear in one game the same with Ice Climbers, so no, because a character that appear in one game is less important is not an argument.

.n_n.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Ridley or nobody. Metroid doesn't have a more suitable candidate. He has as much of a place as Bowser or Gannondorf.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Just imagine the appeal Ridley would have to a filthy casual.
Humongous fire breathing pterodactyl alien dragon with super intelligence
"what oh ****" says 8 year old me

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
So, I heard you like Impa...

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I personally have never liked the sound of a "dark" version of a character being playable. They should remain palette swaps or costumes, no more.
While this is an understandable viewpoint, I find it hilarious that Dark Samus debuted in a game that introduced a "dark" world and versions of things, yet she herself is actually not one of them. She's the remnants of Metroid Prime (a Phazon-infused Metroid) combined with the DNA/suit of Samus. They hardly even use similar attacks in the game (even for the ones they do share, they have their own powered up/different twist) with Dark Samus mainly using Phazon abilities. Really, aside from the name/being a literal clone, the 'Dark' moniker/appearance isn't really a good way to judge her character, which I feel is actually pretty important and interesting to the series. Not to Ridley levels, of course, but I'd love for her to be added in addition to Ridley. I'd much rather 4 Metroid characters than 4 FE, DK (as much as I love the series, I think 3 is fine) or StarFox characters.

I personally think it would be shameful to include a secondary hero that was recently introduced to the series over an iconic villain with great potential.
For that reason alone I would think they'd choose Adam over him. Anthony just saw more combat time and has more personality. I've also seen requests for MB over Anthony, though I'm not sure what she brings either.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If Ridley does not make it as a playable character, I do not want another Metroid rep. Especially Dark Samus. Samus, Zero Suit Samus, and Dark Samus? No thanks.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
While this is an understandable viewpoint, I find it hilarious that Dark Samus debuted in a game that introduced a "dark" world and versions of things, yet she herself is actually not one of them. She's the remnants of Metroid Prime (a Phazon-infused Metroid) combined with the DNA/suit of Samus. They hardly even use similar attacks in the game (even for the ones they do share, they have their own powered up/different twist) with Dark Samus mainly using Phazon abilities. Really, aside from the name/being a literal clone, the 'Dark' moniker/appearance isn't really a good way to judge her character, which I feel is actually pretty important and interesting to the series. Not to Ridley levels, of course, but I'd love for her to be added in addition to Ridley. I'd much rather 4 Metroid characters than 4 FE, DK (as much as I love the series, I think 3 is fine) or StarFox characters.

For that reason alone I would think they'd choose Adam over him. Anthony just saw more combat time and has more personality. I've also seen requests for MB over Anthony, though I'm not sure what she brings either.
Metroid, Star Fox, Fire emblem, and DK are all series that could justify three characters, but four? Nah. I still think Fire emblem and Metroid should stick with two reps though.

Top Bottom