• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think of more as non-crawling-Metroid, his girlfriend, and Metroid-Prime-in-a-can.

Seriously though we need Ridley to balance this harem out.
A harem does need a Sultan. Now if we can just find Ridley one of those hats in size "Too Big."

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
While this is an understandable viewpoint, I find it hilarious that Dark Samus debuted in a game that introduced a "dark" world and versions of things, yet she herself is actually not one of them. She's the remnants of Metroid Prime (a Phazon-infused Metroid) combined with the DNA/suit of Samus. They hardly even use similar attacks in the game (even for the ones they do share, they have their own powered up/different twist) with Dark Samus mainly using Phazon abilities. Really, aside from the name/being a literal clone, the 'Dark' moniker/appearance isn't really a good way to judge her character, which I feel is actually pretty important and interesting to the series. Not to Ridley levels, of course, but I'd love for her to be added in addition to Ridley. I'd much rather 4 Metroid characters than 4 FE, DK (as much as I love the series, I think 3 is fine) or StarFox characters.
I'm not that familiar with the Metroid Prime series, knowing Dark Link, Dark Pit, and the numerous "dark" versions of Mario, I would've expected Dark Samus to be just as similar to her normal counterpart.

If she is as different from Samus as you say, then I might like the idea of her in Smash as well. I'm not sure how I feel about 4 Metroid reps, but I understand why you would prefer that many.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Oh yea with the regards of the feet in the other m Ridley his feet is not different it's Morely he gained a middle toe look more closely at his feet he does have the bird feet but he gained a fourth toe in the middle of the first 2

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Technically it would be 3 if you take that Samus/ZSS are one character (slotwise and because of the transformation gimmick) stance, and the fact that they are the same character canon-wise. Kirby as a series got that love in Brawl, so it's not impossible. The Prime series sold really well, so I don't see it as too far of a stretch either.

Personally I'd prefer the Light Suit as an alt. Maybe even that Metroid Prime 2 concept art/Dark Suit for Ridley. Meta and Omega seem like givens, though. I can see Meta being the dark/edgy alt all the cool kids use.

D

Deleted member

I'm not that familiar with the Metroid Prime series, knowing Dark Link, Dark Pit, and the numerous "dark" versions of Mario, I would've expected Dark Samus to be just as similar to her normal counterpart.

If she is as different from Samus as you say, then I might like the idea of her in Smash as well. I'm not sure how I feel about 4 Metroid reps, but I understand why you would prefer that many.
Bear in mind that one of those "dark" Marios is Wario, aka "Warui Mario", which means "Bad Mario" or "Evil Mario".
With that in mind, not all dark counterparts are automatically the same, and should not be judged by name alone.
As for Ridley, I agree that no one is worthy of inclusion if he's excluded.

Steelia

Smash Champion

Dark Samus is actually quite different from her original counterpart... Check it:

http://youtu.be/19oYjeYcenw (MP2E, first encounter)
http://youtu.be/UdpDJJi61Wg (MP2E, second encounter)
http://youtu.be/wBh3CtqJNHs (MP2E, final encounter)

http://youtu.be/Y78vgphrHXQ (MP3C)

Made those videos just for the occasion. :) She's wicked cool, she'd be my next pick after Ridley for Metroid reps.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
I just hope Sakurai is majorly trolling us with that post. Seems like the only realistic way we'll get playable Ridley. Because as said, Ridley is pretty much the only deserving character, but Metroid deserves another character.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Bear in mind that one of those "dark" Marios is Wario, aka "Warui Mario", which means "Bad Mario" or "Evil Mario".
With that in mind, not all dark counterparts are automatically the same, and should not be judged by name alone.
As for Ridley, I agree that no one is worthy of inclusion if he's excluded.
I guess Wario technically is one of those "dark" Marios.

And I guessed she would be similar because of both name and apperance, though of course I see your point.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I expected the Ridley haters to go nuts on Miiverse, but oddly enough it's the Ridley supporters who are louder. I still have hope for the various possibilities, especially since every English translation from Sakurai seems to never be truly trust worthy. When I see Donkey Kong in 75 Meters it gives me hope especially when I consider that Other M Ridley is a clone after the original died. Not that that really means much but again it's hope.

With that said if Ridley doesn't get in at least Miiverse will really show Sakuri his popularity if be doesn't really see it yet.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I expected the Ridley haters to go nuts on Miiverse, but oddly enough it's the Ridley supporters who are louder. I still have hope for the various possibilities, especially since every English translation from Sakurai seems to never be truly trust worthy. When I see Donkey Kong in 75 Meters it gives me hope especially when I consider that Other M Ridley is a clone after the original died. Not that that really means much but again it's hope.
Yet again I'll say it: Sakurai's quote is in no way a confirmation of Ridley being a stage hazard, so there's no need to act like it's all but confirmed.

Either way, glad to see that Miiverse is showing support, I imagined that they wouldn't show support based on I don't see Ridley having much popularity there.

Btw, does anyone have Sakurai's full japanese quote from the picture in english? I'd love to see everything in context the way it's meant to be.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just hope Sakurai is majorly trolling us with that post. Seems like the only realistic way we'll get playable Ridley. Because as said, Ridley is pretty much the only deserving character, but Metroid deserves another character.

Deserving characters:

:awesome:
:troll:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Bah... whatever, yeah Metroid has two reps in the looks of Sakurai (I still count Samus and ZSS the same character because is the same persona), but still I can´t pass the idea that StarFox, Kirby and Fire Emblem have three reps when Donkey Kong and Metroid (both series in my eyes more important) have only two characters each, is like throwing those franchises from the window.

Like I say before, Metroid has more reps than only Samus and Ridley, they have Dark Samus, Noxus, Spire, Kanden, Sylux, Trace, Weavel and Anthony Higgs (should I even say the six hunters are playable in multiplayer mode in Metroid Prime Hunters) and if you will say "but they appear in only one game except Dark Samus", I will call that BU.....HIT Lucas has only appear in one game the same with Ice Climbers, so no, because a character that appear in one game is less important is not an argument.

.n_n.
It's not just that all of them except Dark Samus have only appeared in one game, but that most of them don't have the kind of All-Star status or potential that Ridley has. Given what Lucas and Ice Climbers have appeared in, even if it was only one game before their status in Smash, I can make a lot more sense of them being All-Stars than I can like Trace or Kanden for instance, unless MPH recently reached like Earthbound levels of memorableness that I wasn't aware of, but last I checked mostly everyone stopped playing it after the online died.

You also could've listed the three hunters from Metroid Prime 3, though I would've said the same about them much as I love like Rundas.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
"Pic of the day. Out of the blue, here's a new stage--the Pyrosphere from Metroid: Other M! An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second."
I mean the Japanese one. In the Japanese quote there's apparently no hint at Ridley, he mentions Samus' trauma attack instead. Anyone got the full one translated?

Deserving characters:

-MANY PICTURES-
I'm fairly certain due to the context of things that he meant that Ridley was the only deserving Metroid newcomer.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
LOL only you would include Impa and Anthony Higgs to that list. :laugh: :troll:
At least he included them in spoilers. I do agree with the rest of the list though, even as much as I personally can't stand Toad he's definitely deserving in his own rights, he should at least be promoted to at least an Assist Trophy instead of still being nothing but a move. The rest of the characters I'd still love to see in the game, and heck, Toad is bound to make some people happy either way, so I wouldn't be mad at his inclusion. And if anything I still don't have a set punching bag in Training Mode.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

With that said if Ridley doesn't get in at least Miiverse will really show Sakuri his popularity if be doesn't really see it yet.
Actually, the Donkey Kong in 75 meters is Cranky Kong from the Donkey Kong Country Serires. In the games Cranky tells you "back in his day he had to kidnap maidens and throw barrels." But he is now retired and the current Donkey Kong we have now is the grown up DK Jr.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
"Pic of the day. Out of the blue, here's a new stage--the Pyrosphere from Metroid: Other M! An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second."
Good lord that's what it said in Japanese! That's the exact same thing on the USA version! So no difference.

Ps not jumping to conclusions I promise hand to god.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
If there is a good point about all of this, it's that if Ridley does became playable we will just have to look in the last 30 pages to know who we will be able to laugh at and say IN YOUR FACE.It also works in the other way tough <('u'<) .

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
T'was just a reminder of how the world will not end if Ridley isn't included.

If only 3 of those characters would make it in, it's a pretty good sign already Sakurai listens to fan demand.

Mewtwo, Dixie, Palutena / Little Mac is most likely to me.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

If only 3 of those characters would make it in, it's a pretty good sign already Sakurai listens to fan demand.

Still wouldn't be maining or alting any of those personally though, so I wouldn't be satisfied. I know I know it's a super selfish post, and I know the majority of people would still be happy, and that's fine and all, but just a reminder why I'll be crying big time if Ridley isn't a character.

And yeah, that Mewtwo picture is ace.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So Nintendo really does have a presentation coming up?

The plot thickens....

Anyone know when it might be?

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211

True, true... and I'll even give you some credit in the Impa category, as seeing Impa was more recurring than Sheik. I'll agree with everything on your list besides Anthony (even though a character with a huge-a$$ cannon would be great, I want to stick to my vicious Barney alien). And, personally, Ridley STILL has a chance. It's about 50/50. So it could really go either way by this point. Since Nintendo's making a big deal out of PAX this year, I've a feeling we'll find out Ridley's fate there, or at least get some new characters.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

Hmm.....

Mewtwo - 45% If the time frame of his movie and Sakurai's quotes concerning him mean anything then 75%.

Dixie - 65% Being re-introduced in Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze will defintely shed some spot light on her.

Palutena - 75%/40% It all depends if Sakurai sees her as more of a Final Smash placement for Pit.

Little Mac - 55% The boxing ring stage is a very logical Conspiracy piece of evidence.

Personally, I would rather have King K. Rool than Dixie, but to be honest I think his chances are 35% depending whether or not Sakurai feels the Donkey Kong Country series needs a new villain.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
I mean the Japanese one. In the Japanese quote there's apparently no hint at Ridley, he mentions Samus' trauma attack instead. Anyone got the full one translated?

This is the only other quote I can think of then, unless he responded to one of the comments on the Miiverse (Which I can't access).
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAABnUYnWb9VV4Q

Unfortunately I am unable to find it fully translated.

Ah cool, people were worrying that the context of the Japanese post might be different but I was too lazy to find it...

"From Metroid other M, the Pyrosphere. Samus's trauma might appear..."

Kinda interesting, the reference to Samus's trauma make's it seem more likely that it's just a reference to Samus's freak-out in other M than hinting at a character or stage hazard, but at the same time referring to referring an individual as "someone's trauma" makes more sense in Japanese than in English, and if I'm not mistaken 登場(appearance) usually refers to a character appearing in a show/play/ect. rather than something like memories or an emotion surfacing. Also might is "kamoshirenai" which implys a fairly low probability but I don't think that's important at all.

My Japanese ain't all that great in terms of subtle contexts though so someone who's better at it should try breaking it down.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
True, true... and I'll even give you some credit in the Impa category, as seeing Impa was more recurring than Sheik. I'll agree with everything on your list besides Anthony (even though a character with a huge-a$$ cannon would be great, I want to stick to my vicious Barney alien). And, personally, Ridley STILL has a chance. It's about 50/50. So it could really go either way by this point. Since Nintendo's making a big deal out of PAX this year, I've a feeling we'll find out Ridley's fate there, or at least get some new characters.

To be honest, I wanted to include Impa in there, but knowing people here they'd choose that as a reason to discredit my post entirely. I'm kind of... notorious for my Impa love here. :laugh:

I'll cease talking about Impa though. Ridley fans will murder me for this :rolleyes:

Still wouldn't be maining or alting any of those personally though, so I wouldn't be satisfied. I know I know it's a super selfish post, and I know the majority of people would still be happy, and that's fine and all, but just a reminder why I'll be crying big time if Ridley isn't a character.

And yeah, that Mewtwo picture is ace.

Well then, surely you do have a favorite already in Smash then?

I mean, thinking of Ridley as the most deserving new character is one thing (which I already disagree with) but if Ridley is honeslty THE ONLY character that is interessting to you from all notable Nintendo characters... I don't even know what to say. Heard you can pick up PS3s and XBox360s for real cheap right now though..

Quite sure you're not seeing things clear cause you're upset.

Honestly, people may laugh at me for wanting Impa, but I won't be upset if she won't make it. I'll be MORE than content just maining Diddy in this game again, and even if Mewtwo, K.Rool, Impa and Isaac make it in, Diddy will always be my 100% true main character. All others? Secondaries. Awesome secondaries yeah, but still nr.2 to Diddy. :diddy:

Advice to all: get to like characters as Mario, Link, DK, Kirby, Samus, Fox or just about anyone who's always 100% guranteed to make it...

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I'd like some more villains, it wouldn't matter who they are, as long as they're at least a major antagonist. Ridley, K. Rool, Porky, Masked Man, Ghirahim, Bowser Junior, Mewtwo, Hades, Dark Samus, Waluigi, Captain Syrup, they're all major wants. Of course, I'd want the MAIN villain before I get a rival/minor antagonist (I'm looking at you, Dark Samus!) But that mostly won't bother me (it didn't with Wolf).

Also, off-topic, but I nearly collapsed on the floor laughing when the Donkey Kong Country DVD was at Target. Nearly bought it just to understand a lot of BKupa666's lingo.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
To be honest, I wanted to include Impa in there, but knowing people here they'd choose that as a reason to discredit my post entirely. I'm kind of... notorious for my Impa love here. :laugh:

I'll cease talking about Impa though. Ridley fans will murder me for this :rolleyes:

I'm a long-time reader before I joined, Diddy. I know ALL about you and Impa. :awesome:.

Back on topic, does anybody think that Sakurai could actually make Ridley a clone? I know there's no reason, but how would you guys react to Ridley being a Bowser or Charizard clone, just with better aerial attacks?

Groose

Smash Champion
Mother Brain is Samus' enemy as well, one she has encountered in her past on more than one occasion. Mother Brain was the one to have killed The Baby, Samus' at-the-time greatest attachment to another creature. Without having lost The Baby, Samus' current submissive state would not have happened in Other M, causing neither Adam's Authorization Crisis nor the sudden trauma facing Ridley. Mother Brain is just as much a suspect as Ridley is, if not more.
I rest my case, Mr. Groose.

Need I remind you that the stage is based off of the arena in which Ridley is battled against in Other M? Mother Brain was fought in a different arena! That single piece of evidence suggests that it is indeed Ridley who will make an appearance (in a facet yet to be determined).
Additionally, one cannot say for certain whether or not Samus is traumatic about Mother Brain; one CAN say that she is deathly afraid of Ridley! My proof? Other M! Samus' trauma may indeed refer to Mother Brain, but the evidence definitely favors Ridley in this scenario!
Your move, Mr. God Robert's Cousin.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
I'd like some more villains, it wouldn't matter who they are, as long as they're at least a major antagonist. Ridley, K. Rool, Porky, Masked Man, Ghirahim, Bowser Junior, Mewtwo, Hades, Dark Samus, Waluigi, Captain Syrup, they're all major wants. Of course, I'd want the MAIN villain before I get a rival/minor antagonist (I'm looking at you, Dark Samus!) But that mostly won't bother me (it didn't with Wolf).

Also, off-topic, but I nearly collapsed on the floor laughing when the Donkey Kong Country DVD was at Target. Nearly bought it just to understand a lot of BKupa666's lingo.
Mewtwo is a villain?

Top Bottom