• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
That "actual size" is a load of rancid hummus.

This is the more accurate comparison from Zero Mission.

If you want to be taken seriously, don't use any sort of argument or image made by Vaztor. Makes you lose credibility.
My image is taken out of proportion I will admit, but so is yours. Not only is Ridley squatting all the way down in your image, but his sprite is also shrunken slightly. You aren't slick either Entei. Here is a completely accurate depiction of Ridley and Samus taken in game, UNCHANGED!

Here's another unchanged image, promise. I'll even give you a link if you like.

Why don't you take your own advice.

WHOA NOW I can't condone inaccurate size estimations in my thread.

The best sprite we have of Samus standing straight in Super Metroid is 48 pixels tall, and the best sprite we have of Ridley standing in Super Meroid (and he does stretch his legs out so don't give me that 'always hunched up' stuff) is 103 pixels measuring from the tip of his crest to the bottom of his foot (not his claws though). Knowing Samus is 190cm (6' 3") we can work out proportionately that Ridley would be about 410cm (13' 5") tall.

YOU WERE OFF BY LIKE SEVEN FEET ARE YOU SOME KIND OF LOSER AT MEASURING HEIGHTS.

Anyway I haven't been reading anything anyone has been saying I'm just going to assume it's all pretty meaningless.
Alright yes, I exaggerated, but I would still really like to see an image of Ridley in Super Metroid where he stretches his head and legs all the way out. I don't remember him ever doing that at any point.

Edit: K. Rool and Ganondorf are huge compared to their heros, fine. Look at them and then look at Ridley's most recent appearance where he was big enough to hold Samus in one hand and fly around the Pyrosphere with her.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
My image is taken out of proportion I will admit, but so is yours. Not only is Ridley squatting all the way down in your image, but his sprite is also shrunken slightly. You aren't slick either Entei. Here is a completely accurate depiction of Ridley and Samus taken in game, UNCHANGED!

Here's another unchanged image, promise. I'll even give you a link if you like.

Why don't you take your own advice.
Here's another in-game screen UNCHANGED!

But apparently this doesn't count because it would make things too easy for us.

Also since when is Zero Mission the end-all-be-all reference for his size? Most people go off of Super Metroid.

Alright yes, I exaggerated, but I would still really like to see an image of Ridley in Super Metroid where he stretches his head and legs all the way out. I don't remember him ever doing that at any point.
This was the best I could find on a short notice.

Edit: K. Rool and Ganondorf are huge compared to their heros, fine. Look at them and then look at Ridley's most recent appearance where he was big enough to hold Samus in one hand and fly around the Pyrosphere with her.
It was more because he has those GIANT CLAWS that he can grab her like that. Bowser could do the same thing, even in Smash.

In fact I think I'll borrow Bowserlick's avi really quick.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
sdsd.PNG
YELLOW: Samus's height compared to Ridley.
GREEN: Ridley's shoulder height, not even twice as tall as Samus, even if it's actually a little over the actual shoulder height (my bad).
TEAL: Ridley's height with his head included, which makes it about twice as tall as Samus. Might not matter if his head is pointing forward, parallel to the ground
BLUE: Ridley's height with his wings included, which wouldn't even matter since his wings probably won't count as hurtboxes.

Maybe Golden's version IS shorter than usual (actually it's Samus's sprite that's been grown), but it's still similar enough. Besides, Ridley's pose could easily be altered so that he doesn't appear as tall. It worked with Wolf.

You can, you know, simply edit the sprite so that you get a somewhat clear idea of what he'd look like (i might do that, actually)

As far as I'm concerned, Ganondorf in Twilight Princess, which was his most recent appearance, was twice as large as Link, yet in Brawl he's only a couple of heads larger than him.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
What's with the sudden recent "Ridley accounts" here? >.> Part of me thinks they're someone's alts, partly because of the timing that they posted I guess, or something. Or they could be genuine new users here like Ridley1994, but I'm not getting that vibe from them at the moment.

Was more fun & interesting when we were comparing physical features of Ridley to Charizards and Red-Eyes Black Dragons than arguing about sizes for the upteenth time again.

D

Deleted member

Bear in mind that I did my best to scale the two proportionate to that image (since the spritesheet has Samus too small), but with the concept of both being at ground level as much as possible (since Ridley's feet aren't exactly in a flat position or on the same plane) as opposed to the image, where Ridley is sinking below the platform, thus, at a lower position to Samus.

If it isn't 100% to scale, then I apologize.

"Donkey Kong is already one of the largest character in Smash, and King K. Rool is huge in comparison to him, just look at DK64! He's much too big."

"Don't worry, he was small in that Mario game."

"OH, I SEE, SO BECAUSE HIS SIZE WAS COMPLETELY NOT IMPORTANT AND WAS NECESSARY TO BE ALTERED SO HE COULD BE PLAYABLE BECAUSE REALLY THATS WHAT MATTERS RIGHT BEING PLAYABLE BECAUSE PEOPLE WANT TO PLAY AS HIM HE WAS RESIZED TO MAKE THAT HAPPEN."

"Then again Mario is cartoony so that suddenly matters a lot now."

"Oh, so in Twilight Princess which had a rather serious atmosphere about it, Link was actually wang-level with Ganondorf and yet in Smash which borrows from TP, Link is chest-level with Ganondorf. In conclusion I guess I'm full of **** and just like making up stuff."
Out of curiosity, since you seem to have access to models outside Smash, think you can do a comparison between Ridley and Samus for the Primes and Other M?

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Here are three representations of Ridley in different games with Samus (as close as I can get them).

.n_n.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Not ALL the way, since he never does that ever anywhere, but when he does stretch out it looks like a natural standing position for him. Anyway I thought it would make a nice little image to be spread around:

Though I do have on me a Ridley model where he does stand all straight:

This model IS altered a little, I had to make his feet flat myself and I made his tail stick out for fun, but aside from that it should be accurate. He stands 7m (23' 0"). As tall as a Rayquaza is long. Wish I had the Prime models to compare with. 7m is definitely the largest figure I have relating to Ridley.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Not ALL the way, since he never does that ever anywhere, but when he does stretch out it looks like a natural standing position for him. Anyway I thought it would make a nice little image to be spread around:

Though I do have on me a Ridley model where he does stand all straight:

This model IS altered a little, I had to make his feet flat myself and I made his tail stick out for fun, but aside from that it should be accurate. He stands 7m (23' 0"). As tall as a Rayquaza is long. Wish I had the Prime models to compare with. 7m is definitely the largest figure I have relating to Ridley.
Approximately, how tall is he hunched over?

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Wow, Ridley's big.

Big enough to contend as a fighter in Super Smash Bros. 4.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
If we're talking heavy, Ridley should be as heavy as Charizard. Ganondorf and Snake should be around the same weight. K. Rool fits in with Bowser, and Bowser Junior with Wolf. Porky depends, if he's in-mech about Charizard, if not then Ness.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
Here's another in-game screen UNCHANGED!

But apparently this doesn't count because it would make things too easy for us.

Also since when is Zero Mission the end-all-be-all reference for his size? Most people go off of Super Metroid.
I used Zero Mission as my reference because it's the remake of the original game. It just makes sense... atleast to me it does. Also the original character models were pretty much retconned when Zero Mission was released.

Nintendo obviously wanted to go in a different direction with Ridley. He's just getting bigger and bigger with each new installment, the evidence is in front of you.

Since you're clearly the expert here Oasis do you think you could tell me about how tall Zero Mission Ridley is?

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I used Zero Mission as my reference because it's the remake of the original game. It just makes sense... atleast to me it does. Also the original character models were pretty much retconned when Zero Mission was released.
...only the ones from the original Metroid. Until Super Metroid is remade, all the sprites and sizes from that game are equally as valid.

Nintendo obviously wanted to go in a different direction with Ridley. He's just getting bigger and bigger with each new installment, the evidence is in front of you.
Robot Ridley counts now?
...no. He doesn't.
A followup, for the umpteenth time: he literally gets smaller in the same game than he was earlier in said game. So basically, no, he's not "getting bigger and bigger with each new installment."

Since you're clearly the expert here Oasis do you think you could tell me about how tall Zero Mission Ridley is?
Why does it matter? I mean, all you do is repeat the "he's too big" "argument" no matter what we say, so why do you even care? We've acknowledged many, many times that Ridley is large. What you won't acknowledge is that characters are constantly rescaled in Smash Bros., and Ridley is no exception. But apparently his size is sacred and immutable.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Ridley doesn't feel right to me. As a matter of fact, he feels too left.

Alternatively,

Ridley shouldn't be in because he doesn't feel right. I can definitely tell when he's in, but he feels too pointy and jagged once he's in. I'd rather he not be in so the internal bleeding will stop.

D

Deleted member

I come into this thread just to see more "Ridley's size is TOO DAMN HIGH BIG!" and subtle jokes about Ridley sodomy.

....I'm out of here.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Ridley's size depiction is inconsistent, and changes throughout the series and in Smash games.

The only plausible argument stemming from his size would be from his size in Brawl, which might make players say, "What? Why is he so small? This is weird." His Melee appearance was pretty hard to take note of for most folks, save for serious smashers and Metroid fans.

If Ridley was going to be in, I'd bet they'd use the size from Melee.

I still have major doubts for Ridley, and I'm not exactly an advocate of him, but you simply can not say "he was this size in this game" and act like it's an argument.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
4.4m (14' 5") though of course he's much physically larger than his Super Metroid incarnation due to INCREASED LANK. I think Zero Mission Ridley and Other M Ridley's sizes are comparable due to this. Dunno who designed Other M Ridley, could have been Team Ninja, but if Sakamoto had a say in it, it's possible it was his intention to look back to the previous design his team gave Ridley, which was Zero Mission Ridley. Have an idea for another graphic... HAVE A GRAPHIC:

It actually sort of depends where you measure on Zero Ridley, but I went with the highest estimate. In the game, the cut-off point of his feet from when Ridley is actually landed on a platform is the bottom of his toenail where it is actually connecting to his toe. Measuring to there, his height would be more like 4.3m (14' 1").

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The reason the Ridley in Super Metroid looks shorter than the Ridley in Zero Mission is because Ridley is still growing.... you see, Samus killed Ridley in Zero Mission... and then Ridley came back to life as Birdie then as Monster then as Ridley... but he is not fully grown by the time he meets Samus again in Super Metroid. :troll:

D

Deleted member

To be fair, between the time Ridley molted his hairy lizard body and the time Samus encountered fully grown Ridley in Other M, he had to have been a size that's just right. :troll:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I dunno, I always thought the intimidating aspect of Ridley was the fact that he was a space pirate dragon, not the size. Seeing as I first encountered him in metroid prime 1, where he was one of the smaller bosses, it was honestly not what was scariest about him to me.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Again, like I've told you before, Ridley is getting scaled to fit in what situation he is in, just like Bowser and K. Rool. It would be nice if you stopped ignoring my posts, considering I've already answered a lot of the complains you still keep on coming with.

Again, see Metroid Prime 3:

And I repeat. Ridley is humongous in the Meta Ridley fight because he needs to fill the whole corridor in order to make the boss battle work properly, and he needs to be a big target for you to be able to hit him properly. In the Omega Ridley fight he is smaller because it's more like a proper duel, he was made smaller to emphasize that it's a fair 1v1 battle. Furthermore, he doesn't need to be big, so no need to throw needlessly many polygons at the game. Yes, the Omega Ridley picture is pretty bad, but you can definitely see that Samus can't fit in his mouth, at most Ridley can have Samus' arm cannon in his mouth.

The reason Ridley is enormous in the 2D games too, and became big to begin with, is also because he needs to be easy to hit. If you've played the original Metroid, you know it's hard as **** to hit Ridley because he is so small that his invincible fireballs constantly block his whole size. In Super Metroid he was made big to avoid that, and because Super Metroid has become the fan favorite game, that's how he has been in every 2D game since. However, if he isn't needed to be so big, then he has been scaled down, like in the Meta Ridley battle in Prime 1 and Omega Ridley battle in Prime 3.

Now that Ridley has a reason to finally become playable, I don't see why size would stop Sakurai, a man who gladly stomps canon in the name of fun, from scaling him down, especially when Retro themselves don't even care about it. Size isn't a serious issue, never has been. Bowser needs to be playable in Mario Kart? They size him down. K. Rool needs to be playable in Super Sluggers? They size him down. Petey Piranha and Queen Bee need to fit into small go-karts? They size them down. Ridley needs to be playable in Smash Bros? They size him down. Characters like Petey and Queen Bee rely more on being big than Ridley does, heck, Olimar relies more on being microscopic than Ridley relies on being big. It's not an essential part of his character, thus it's okay to scale him down.

You speak as if Nintendo takes Ridley's size seriously, but truth is, they don't really take any of their characters' sizes seriously unless it interferes with gameplay or their whole character revolves around it, like with Kraid. Like I said, Ridley was made big to begin with most likely to be an easy target in a game like Super Metroid, but in Smash Bros, it'll be exactly the opposite that'll be the problem, so they scale him down to fit, voila!

Size isn't a serious issue at all, and is in no way reason enough to not include one of Nintendo's biggest all-stars in their own all-stars game. I'm not sure where the mentality came from, but it's plain wrong, especially since we're discussing a spin-off game that has already kicked canon in the nuts a hundred times intentionally.

I dunno, I always thought the intimidating aspect of Ridley was the fact that he was a space pirate dragon, not the size. Seeing as I first encountered him in metroid prime 1, where he was one of the smaller bosses, it was honestly not what was scariest about him to me.
The whole argument about Ridley not being intimidating without his size is braindead. I guess Bowser doesn't look intimidating in Smash either?

The only thing you need to be in order to be intimidating is to outsize your opponent, no need to outsize him/her by being a tower. Look at toads (not Mario Toad, real-life toads) they puff themselves up whenever a predator tries to get them in order to seem more threatening. Ridley simply needs to be bigger than Samus to retain his intimidating persona, and it doesn't even need to be by much. Bowser isn't much taller than the Mario Bros in Smash Bros either, but because he can still stare them down he still feels like Bowser, and that's what matters.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
could you make one comparision with his model a little resized, and in a different stance to compare? please
Sorry, can't. You bring out game models and it looks like you're real fancy, but really I'm just downloading these from here and opening them up in a free 3D modeling program. I know my way around a LITTLE, like I could tell you where the bathroom is, but I really can't do anything fancy with these.

Also, Wariofan, I was just about to say how I'm not buying your MP3 Ridley size inconsistency argument and that you just suck at perspective... but after looking at it myself YEAH MAYBE HE IS a tad smaller. You sure picked a ****ty picture though. Here you go:

Was thinking "well maybe his head is off to the side a bit," but that would be really dumb why would Ridley be roaring AT Samus and NOT FACE HER directly.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, the picture is ****ty, which I also said in my post. I think I found it off of google, or maybe it was in one of my big image folders, who knows, it just sucks.

One thing's for certain, even in the picture you posted it's quite clear that he shrunk over the course of the game, which is funny since Space Pirates usually get pretty damn huge after being infused with Phazon, as we saw with the Omega Pirate.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Oh it has been too long since i have been here
i cant believe that stupid size argument is still going around. It has been done to death, at least a hundred times.
But i see a lot of familiar.......usernames?
Edit: Adult_Ridley.jpg I would like to point out that the physique of Ridley, when examined, means that regardless of his tail or wings, proper down sizement could leave him similar in shape to captain falcon, although taller.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, the picture is ****ty, which I also said in my post. I think I found it off of google, or maybe it was in one of my big image folders, who knows, it just sucks.

One thing's for certain, even in the picture you posted it's quite clear that he shrunk over the course of the game, which is funny since Space Pirates usually get pretty damn huge after being infused with Phazon, as we saw with the Omega Pirate.
Come to think of it, yeah. When I thought of there being an Omega Ridley or some Phazon version of him before Prime 3 came out (hence how I came up with my username I guess), I was expecting the form to be even bigger than Omega Pirate (size difference being that of normal Ridley and a regular space pirate), but nope. Omega Ridley ended up being more like the size of one of those Elite Pirates in the first Prime (mini versions of Omega Pirate I guess you could say).

TheJohnMonster... Where were you during the whole Pyrosphere fiasco? D:

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
I have no idea
I just got tired of someone coming in every page thinking they could convince people he was too big or too awkward
I figured smash 4 news has been up, so I'd drop in

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You've seen Brawl Pikachu and Brawl Charizard, right? Is it really that big of a deal if Ridley is resized to be closer to Samus's height?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Can someone make a comparison of NES Ridley and NES Bowser? I just wanna see.

R and B.png

I did my best to make sure they were sized correctly. I tried with Mario 1 Bowser but the lack of an outline was annoying to work with. But Mario 1 Bowser is a little smaller than Metroid 1 Ridley while Mario 3 Bowser is a little bigger than Metroid 1 Ridley.

Top Bottom