• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
*Looks at size of thread*

Yeah I'd say it's a tad too late for that...
I'm referring to when we get no info 'til the game comes out and when we finally get our hands on it there is no playable Ridley to be found. That is when things will get out of hand.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

UltimateWario

Smash Master
As amazing as it would be for Sakurai to be as up-front as Aonuma, Sakurai is a very...peculiar person. Very child-like in several ways. I don't mean that to be insulting, but the guy's extremely quirky.

She is a girl. Or she's a separate character. Who is a girl.
Eh? Aonuma said it was Link in the trailer, and that he is male. He just looks particularly androgynous this time.

I'm honestly waiting for the day when we get to select our Link's gender.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I hope I'm not the only one who sees Metroid for the NES as the outdated, horribly-aged, nearly-impossible-without-weeks-of-trial-and-error-or-a-walkthrough-mess it is.

It gave life to what is probably my favorite franchise ever, but holy goddamn is it terrible.

latetotheparty.jpeg
I'm playing it right now. It's not terrible, but it is impossible.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
As amazing as it would be for Sakurai to be as up-front as Aonuma, Sakurai is a very...peculiar person. Very child-like in several ways. I don't mean that to be insulting, but the guy's extremely quirky.

Eh? Aonuma said it was Link in the trailer, and that he is male. He just looks particularly androgynous this time.

I'm honestly waiting for the day when we get to select our Link's gender.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has that opinion. Sakurai has always come off as child like. Nothing wrong with that. Just part of his character.

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice
Link's gender isn't related to Ridley in any way shape or form.
But yeah it would be cool to pick Link's gender because he's supposed to be a "Link" to the player.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
No, the person in the trailer is Link. A male Link. Word of God confirmed it.

Anyway, back to Ridley, shall we? IS RIDLEY A BOY OR A GIRL?
Supposedly, Ridley was confirmed to be male because of his trophy in melee but since Sakurai says Smash Bros is non-canon, I think it is still pretty ambiguous. Personally I want to believe Ridley is girl.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
It is impossible that Sakurai thinks that all those "Ridley as a playable character for smash" threads means that we want "Ridley as a tiny pinata"

Reila

Supposedly, Ridley was confirmed to be male because of his trophy in melee but since Sakurai says Smash Bros is non-canon, I think it is still pretty ambiguous. Personally I want to believe Ridley is girl.
It wasn't a serious question, but now that we are here... I don't think they ever mentioned Ridley's sex in Metroid games.

Most people consider "him" to be male, but nothing official as far as I am concerned.

Ridley surely doesn't have a "deep male" voice lol

Last edited:

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
If Ridley is playable, I could live with most interpretations i think but I would be super sad if he didn't have the attack where he digs his tail into the ground and slides across the stage.

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
Link's gender isn't related to Ridley in any way shape or form.
But yeah it would be cool to pick Link's gender because he's supposed to be a "Link" to the player.
I didn't intend on starting a discussion on gender, just to show an example of how Sakurai should be straight forward with us like Aonuma was with the rumors.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Would be funny if the Shadow in the direct was just Birdie (Ridley's infant stage) piloting a fake/mechanical Ridley

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
It wasn't a serious question, but now that we are here... I don't think they ever mentioned Ridley's sex in Metroid games.

Most people consider "him" to be male, but nothing official as far as I am concerned.

Ridley surely doesn't have a "deep male" voice lol
Pirate lore in the Prime games refers to him with male pronouns. The scan visor just refers to him as an "it".

Reila

Pirate lore in the Prime games refers to him with male pronouns. The scan visor just refers to him as an "it".
I don't remember that. Perhaps I should have paid more attention to the lore in the Prime games. Anyway, so male he is.

Now lets talk about Ridley's shadow again.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman

Well I'll be, it does look like he "jumps". I saw people say it before but the video was always too fast for me to see it. I went ahead and looked at Ridleys boss fight from Brawl and he doesn't have any animation that looks like this. When he flies up it's just him flapping his wings without looking upward. His boss animations in Brawl were pretty fluid too, not jerky like this. Every time he doesn't get revealed at some big event I lose hope, then I see something new about the shadow and it comes back. This uncertainty is killing me.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Are people serious when asking for Kraid as a playable character? That 3-eyed fat Godzilla wannabe is better off as a boss like Master Hand.
HE IS TOO BIG...sigh...I can't believe I said the same phrase those Ridley detractors keep throwing at us:facepalm:
I would love to play as Kraid. It would be hypocritical to say he couldn't ever be playable in a ****ing RIDLEY thread.

No. No one is serious when asking for Kraid.
Oh really? I didn't realize you spoke for everyone on the planet.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Ridley's a dude. :U

Are we really debating this.
Yes, Next, lets go into sexuality because clearly everyone wants to know.

Long story short, According to that one backstory, Last living member of his species, doesn't have one, Next.

But you know, presumably all male crew, main enemies a woman, he's eaten a lot of men

D

Deleted member

No, the person in the trailer is Link. A male Link. Word of God confirmed it.

Anyway, back to Ridley, shall we? IS RIDLEY A BOY OR A GIRL?
I think Ridley should totally be a girl, that way she can be justified in her hatred of Samus because Samus, being really pretty under the suit, has probably stolen the hearts of all the guys that Ridley loves, including the other Space Pirates (the Space Pirates are just immature, and like any immature boy, have trouble expressing their feelings, and thus do so through violence).

In fact, I'm calling it right now that the events of the entire Metroid Franchise stem from Ridley's jealousy of Samus because Ridley got hit with the Ugly Stick while Samus seems to have been blessed by the Godesses of Beauty.

Inb4 the Ridley x Kraid shipping starts. :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
He doesn't have one...I think, Ridley confirmed to be female
Not necessarily. Reptilians usually have a cloaca, which is a single orifice were they urinate, excrete and reproduce. In males, they have a phallus hidden inside it, which they only take out during copulation.

Well, that's zoology for you folks.

Back to Ridley, he's mostly referred to as either male or undeterminated in every media. It's only that one dev member that named it a 'she'.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I think Ridley should totally be a girl, that way she can be justified in her hatred of Samus because Samus, being really pretty under the suit, has probably stolen the hearts of all the guys that Ridley loves, including the other Space Pirates (the Space Pirates are just immature, and like any immature boy, have trouble expressing their feelings, and thus do so through violence).

In fact, I'm calling it right now that the events of the entire Metroid Franchise stem from Ridley's jealousy of Samus because Ridley got hit with the Ugly Stick while Samus seems to have been blessed by the Godesses of Beauty.
Still a better story than Other M.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Should be start debating Bowser's gender now as well?

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I think Ridley should totally be a girl.
I honestly thought Ridley was female. Let's look at the stats:

* Extremely persistent.
* Always comes back for more.
* Sharp claws.
* Screeches like a harpy.
* Always trying to grab/is grabbing Samus to deal damage (you ever see women fight?).
* Works with Mother Brain.
* Orders around men to do her bidding.

Like a space age Cleopatra, but only hot for her species' standards. :troll:

Gonna catch so much flak for this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom