• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
Thank you for the new avatar. :bee:

Woah, really? Ridley isn't exactly who I would call a new villain in 2002, but that's really interesting.
Yeah, I was just giving it a skim. And they meant Meta Ridley in particular. But yeah in general he's not particularly new. He beat out Tom Nook and SA-X who were the runners up it looks like.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Maybe Nintendo will pull a Capcom and give us bad instruction booklet Ridley instead.
I know instruction booklet Ridley looks atrocious....but....it looks better in comparison to this...

Heights.JPG
:sick:

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I know art booklet Ridley looks atrocious....but....it looks better in comparison to this...

View attachment 16440 :sick:
And if I remember correctly, Metroids looked like flying armadillo/tapir hybrids in Captain N.

EDIT: Actually, that goopy thing between Ridley and Kraid IS a Metroid... yeah.

I still recall seeing a flying armadillo there, though.

Oh, and these

looked like these.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I know instruction booklet Ridley looks atrocious....but....it looks better in comparison to this...

View attachment 16440 :sick:
Why is Kraid smaller than Ridley? Did he eat a Poison Mushroom?

No, scratch that. Kraid looks like the aborted fetus of his species that was bludgeoned too frequently, and then left to die somewhere in the deserts of his planet.

Ridley...And people say the classic design is too ugly and scary to warrant being playable.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I also found this.

Funny how Ridley looks like his NES sprite here, with his jaw fused to his neck.

Probably very early in SM's development.
I'm losing my crap at how ridiculous that Ridley looks. Oh my god xD I'd gladly take Team Ninja's awkwardly modeled version of Concept Artley *WAAAAAY* before Big-Headed Overbitely.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I also found this.

Funny how Ridley looks like his NES sprite here, with his jaw fused to his neck.

Huh, and he's only a head taller than Samus. Make the head smaller and we get a decent playable character-sized Ridley.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
I also found this.

Ok, as hilarious as that Ridley looks, it's actually pretty cool to see storyboards of that pretty iconic scene. Where did you find this? I'm interested to see if there's any more.

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
This thread must be on steroids. There's no way a human being can keep up with every post. Anyway with the game coming out so soon do you guys think it's too late for Rids?

majora_787

Smash Hero
This thread must be on steroids. There's no way a human being can keep up with every post. Anyway with the game coming out so soon do you guys think it's too late for Rids?
It's never too late. He's probably just a hidden character, which is expectable.

Hong

The Strongest
I am always uncertain which design they would use for the character. They seem to use the most iconic... so I suppose something like what we saw for the Melee intro would be used for Ridley.

Are you implying mods are human? ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
August is the next time we get a Direct, and I imagine that some people here are expecting that Ridley will be revealed then. Well unfortunately, August is also the anniversary month for Rhythm Heaven. This means that we could possibly get the Chorus Kids instead, and not the purple Space Dragon we all know and love. But hey, considering that we got the Pyrosphere last year, maybe there's still hope for a Ridley reveal then. And if not, then I'm expecting Chorus Kids...

...As a boss hazard on Pyrosphere. Seriously guys, put the two together and it all makes sense. It's a conspiracy!

majora_787

Smash Hero
Sakurai recently saw this thread and realized people don't want an improved version of Other M's Concept Art and want Super Metroid Ridley. So to listen to fans, you will get to play as... the big-headed white Overbitely from Super Metroid's storyboard. :awesome:

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
Sakurai recently saw this thread and realized people don't want an improved version of Other M's Concept Art and want Super Metroid Ridley. So to listen to fans, you will get to play as... the big-headed white Overbitely from Super Metroid's storyboard. :awesome:
Wait how do you know he saw the thread? Oh GOD don't tell me he saw the weird shippings?

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
I am always uncertain which design they would use for the character. They seem to use the most iconic... so I suppose something like what we saw for the Melee intro would be used for Ridley.

Are you implying mods are human? ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ
That Ridley from Melee is actually the last version of ridley to be similar in size to the 1994 Ridleys rather than the huge Ridleys you get from 2001 and up. You can see that in my sig.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
the SM storyboard is way too cute <3

oh, and while you are waiting for the new metroid (wont be up anytime soon, its still on the planning phase) have a look at ghost song :D a Metroidvania heavily inspired by none other than Super Metroid AND Dark Souls. can you ask better?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192311215/ghost-song-a-journey-of-hope

Really Nintendo should complete the kickstarter for the Wiiu version, it's one of those games that the wiiu could greatly appreciate.

Jigglypuff & Luma

Smash Cadet
Why do you keep plugging in the "you keep ignoring" bit? It only servers to be an antagonizer, obviously I'm not ignoring what you're saying. If I'm not understanding your point that's one thing, but do the discussion a favor and let's assume I know how to read, OK?

Oh my gosh, you are ignoring my point.

If the character shadows do not scale based on height, that's fine, but they do change based on the light source's angle. For example, a sun shining on a tree from the horizon.

You can see the shadow to the right of Mario's foot. Compare to this picture of Mario...

See how the shadow stretches to the left? It's way longer than the above picture, and goes in a completely different direction.

Clearly, despite any limitations their graphics engine has in concerns to lighting, it does modify their shadow based on a few certain dependencies.
Actually, the 3DS's shadow works differently. Sorry I just realized the other one was also on the Wii U...

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
That Ridley from Melee is actually the last version of ridley to be similar in size to the 1994 Ridleys rather than the huge Ridleys you get from 2001 and up. You can see that in my sig.
I don't know, the Other M Ridley doesn't actually look that huge to me. You're right about the other incarnations, though.
gm_final_destination_v20003.jpg

Top Bottom