• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
You know, just saying Pyrosphere not being in the demo doesn't really increase his chances. There could be loads of reasons why It isn't... for example, there could be some kinks/glitches with the stage. Ridley's Boss model may not be completely finished yet, the stage could be very well not finished 100% yet.
Eh, the thread title is a bit outdated, but it was in response to tons of people coming here asking whether or not Pyrosphere was playable in the demo. There's not much to Pyrosphere not being in the demo no.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Just to clarify, I don't hate the game. I don't really have an opinion on it since I can't play it without feeling sick. =P

FoV stands for field of view. I think it's the really narrow view in Prime that's causing my nausea. At first I thought it was the high frame rate in a first person game, but I have no problem with Call of Duty.
Well, it's odd you'd feel nauseous from that. :/ And a shame. It's a fantastic game. Maybe you just need to play it more. Just like with the 3DS, you will get used to the 3D after playing for a while.

Also, I am 90% sure you could remove the helmet-stuff that blocks so much of the screen in one of the Prime games.

@Pacack
Thank you~

Last edited:

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
I'm not saying overbites are bad, but the extent Ridley suffers from looks really impractical. Zero Mission hits a really nice sweetspot when it comes to how his beak is designed.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I love Prime 1 - 3. I love Halo 1 - 3(and reach). What a coincidence.

They have their differences, sure, but for such an early title, Prime 1 was amazing. They were only able to build such a large connected world by splitting it up into closed rooms like they did. But they used enough tricks to make it feel open, at least to middle school me.

I never had an issue with the FoV, either, but honestly that's nitpicking.

not saying I dislike the 2D metroids, or even that i wouldn't want a new one. I'm just biased towards the 3D ones because Prime 1 was my first console game, ever, and one of my favorites. Also one of the reasons Ridley is one of my favorite game characters (samus too, for that matter)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, I can't give enough appreciation to the Zero Mission design, it hits everything perfectly. And to be honest there are a ton of impractical things in Metroid in general (like Samus' knee spikes, giga-shoulders in Prime), as long as it looks good I'm game.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, I can't give enough appreciation to the Zero Mission design, it hits everything perfectly. And to be honest there are a ton of impractical things in Metroid in general (like Samus' knee spikes, giga-shoulders in Prime), as long as it looks good I'm game.
If we're talking Samus's best suit, I'd have to say PED from Prime 3. Looks heavy, looks formidable, and still retains enough of her classic styling whilst introducing GF elements. Really disappointed PED might not show up(also missed a possible FS change. Zero Laser is fine and dandy, but why not Hypermode, an actual ability she'd had? Suppose it'd not make sense outside of PED).

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I'm still stuck in super metroid... :( I feel like a terrible metroid noob.... 2D metroid are way harder than the Prime games..... Echoes was the hardest prime game imo it's one of the reasons I hold it highly not quite as high as Prime 1 though.

Prime 3 was good but lacking a lot imo compared to Prime 1 & Echoes.

Never played ZeRo mission or Fusion....
Waiting for ZeRo miss on WiiU VC but I think it won't happen :(

.Super metroid is difficult.... Reminds me of DKC2 damn that game was stupid good.

Edit: on best suits imo phazon suit from prime1 dark suit from prime2 (brawl Colour swap)

Hmmmm.. Prime 1 power suit hehehe

Last edited:

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
The varia-suit in Prime has always been my favourite rendition of it, it just looks so sleek yet powerful. Always annoyed me a bit that they went with a more clunky Super Metroid-ish version in Brawl.Though I have to agree, the varia-suit shoulders look really impractical, Samus can barely move her arms out sideways with those things on.

I also really like the fusion-suit, the colours and the design just looks so nice in my opinion. And it looks like something that can really allow Samus to move around in, no big parts getting in the way.

Nintendicted

Smash Cadet
If we're talking Samus's best suit, I'd have to say PED from Prime 3. Looks heavy, looks formidable, and still retains enough of her classic styling whilst introducing GF elements. Really disappointed PED might not show up(also missed a possible FS change. Zero Laser is fine and dandy, but why not Hypermode, an actual ability she'd had? Suppose it'd not make sense outside of PED).
I think that there are already plenty of final smashes that just temporarily make a character more powerful that we don't need another one. And while the zero laser isn't terribly unique, there aren't as many final smashes like it, and it's a powerful, visually appealing final smash.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Makes it more of a shame that Dark Samus ain't playable RealTalk... She/it could have been so sick
a down b could have been that Phazon electricity morph ball upgrade in prime 3 .

So much move set potential serious :(

Apart of me that holds out Ridley is playable is because they made Mother brain and dark samus assist trophy... Pretty weak reasoning but it's something.... :(

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Had a dream last night where Ridley's Final Smash was Meta Ridley.

Come to think of it I can't seem to pass a week without at least one night's sleep involving Ridley. There needs to be a dreaming department. XD

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Just to clarify, I don't hate the game. I don't really have an opinion on it since I can't play it without feeling sick. =P

I think it's the really narrow view in Prime that's causing my nausea.
Wow. I thought it was just me but I got the same problem.

I've been trying to play it but I can't progress because I feel like I have that ball in my throat and my stomach. It's not the enclosed space, it's the enclosed HUD that bothers me the most.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Come to think of it I can't seem to pass a week without at least one night's sleep involving Ridley. There needs to be a dreaming department. XD
I think we all know, deep within ourselves, what Ridley's Final Smash deserves to be.

Yes. That's right. Wizardglory.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Wow. I thought it was just me but I got the same problem.

I've been trying to play it but I can't progress because I feel like I have that ball in my throat and my stomach. It's not the enclosed space, it's the enclosed HUD that bothers me the most.
I tried disabling the HUD features but to no avail. I've been on and off trying to play it for a few years now but I only noticed that the condition got worse. Last time I tried was last February actually, but it was so bad that I'm put off from playing it ever again.

I noticed that this isn't that rare, I've seen my share of people who feel this way too and it makes you wonder why they didn't give you an option to adjust the FoV. I know there are people who had this issue with Portal as well, but the ability to adjust the FoV in that game did wonders.

Last edited:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I noticed that this isn't that rare, I've seen my share of people who feel this way too and it makes you wonder why they didn't give you an option to adjust the FoV. I know there are people who had this issue with Portal as well, but the ability to adjust the FoV in that game did wonders.
Most games don't let you do that, from what I've seen. Portal is an unfortunately rare exception. Wider vision makes it harder to see at a distance, so that's probably why it was done how it is. Including some sort of zoom visor would fix that though.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
He was blasted to death in a nano second by Hyper Mode, just like every boss that isn't named Mogenar.

Meta Ridley in Prime 1 remains my favorite boss battle ever.

Personally I'd like for both to continue. A 2D game is loooooong overdue by now though.
How dare a boss be blasted to death after one fight. :laugh: The fight was still awesome. Meta Ridley doesn't come close to in terms of epicness imo.

Funny thing is that it was blasted to death, yet it didn't die in Metroid Prime 3.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
You guys do realize...that there will come a day...when we are all very sad...or extremely happy.

Are we ready for that?
If the former comes, at least we'll be sharing our grief with at least four dozen character support threads, some of them major.

@The Soulless One Take your time. Let me know when your Text-Wall Construction is finished, okay?

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Here's a very quick little story for ya.

The heat was overbearing. Ashes flew every which way like blacked snowflakes. Magma boiled and flowed through the underground chamber; a red river of death and destruction.

Perched atop a metal platform, the head commander of the Space Pirates, Ridley, waited.

And waited…

And waited…

“Where is that sorry excuse of a bounty hunter?!” Ridley spouted in anger, “I’ve been sitting in this burning hellhole for days!”

Mere moments later, a small white envelope fluttered in front of the dragon’s view. Curious, he grabbed it with his claws before the paper could drift into the searing molten rock below. Turning the object over, Ridley spied a red wax seal stamped with a circular symbol. There were two lines intersecting each other, making a skewed L shape.

His eyes widening ever so slightly, Ridley recognized where the symbol was from, and dexterously open the seal. There was a hand-written letter inside, the details of which Ridley read with extreme interest. A subtle, sinister smile crept along the Space Pirate’s teeth-laden jaws.

Just as Ridley finished reading, a familiar orange figure appeared before him.

The Space Pirate looked up and narrowed his eyes to barely visible slits, but the grin remained on his murderous maw. “Ah, you’re here.” He greeted with the most poisonous malice.

Angered, the human pointed her arm cannon at her archenemy, ready for battle.

Laughing at her bravado, Ridley put a hand up. “Not today hunter.” With his other hand, he revealed the letter, and relished the horrified expression that struck his would-be opponent’s dilated pupils.

Expanding his magnificent wings, Ridley threw the hunter one last smirk. “See you later. And don’t worry; I’ll save your pitiful corpse for last.” With that he took to the air and flew up and out of his hellish lair.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
How dare a boss be blasted to death after one fight. :laugh: The fight was still awesome. Meta Ridley doesn't come close to in terms of epicness imo.

Funny thing is that it was blasted to death, yet it didn't die in Metroid Prime 3.
Eh, the main point wasn't that he was blasted to death, it was how quickly you could kill him. The fight was waaaaaaay too short, as soon as he becomes vulnerable you can take off more than 1/3 of his HP each time. That's not even unique to Omega Ridley, Hyper Mode ruined just about all boss battles in the game imo and is one of the biggest flaws of the game. Even then the setting of the Meta Ridley fight outdoes the Omega Ridley one by being so expansive, not to mention there's a lot less stalling in the Meta Ridley fight compared to when Omega Ridley flies through those holes in the walls, and overall Meta Ridley's ground battle is also a lot more exciting (at least in the PAL version where he has an additional move.)

At least that's my opinion.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Here's a very quick little story for ya.

The heat was overbearing. Ashes flew every which way like blacked snowflakes. Magma boiled and flowed through the underground chamber; a red river of death and destruction.

Perched atop a metal platform, the head commander of the Space Pirates, Ridley, waited.

And waited…

And waited…

“Where is that sorry excuse of a bounty hunter?!” Ridley spouted in anger, “I’ve been sitting in this burning hellhole for days!”

Mere moments later, a small white envelope fluttered in front of the dragon’s view. Curious, he grabbed it with his claws before the paper could drift into the searing molten rock below. Turning the object over, Ridley spied a red wax seal stamped with a circular symbol. There were two lines intersecting each other, making a skewed L shape.

His eyes widening ever so slightly, Ridley recognized where the symbol was from, and dexterously open the seal. There was a hand-written letter inside, the details of which Ridley read with extreme interest. A subtle, sinister smile crept along the Space Pirate’s teeth-laden jaws.

Just as Ridley finished reading, a familiar orange figure appeared before him.

The Space Pirate looked up and narrowed his eyes to barely visible slits, but the grin remained on his murderous maw. “Ah, you’re here.” He greeted with the most poisonous malice.

Angered, the human pointed her arm cannon at her archenemy, ready for battle.

Laughing at her bravado, Ridley put a hand up. “Not today hunter.” With his other hand, he revealed the letter, and relished the horrified expression that struck his would-be opponent’s dilated pupils.

Expanding his magnificent wings, Ridley threw the hunter one last smirk. “See you later. And don’t worry; I’ll save your pitiful corpse for last.” With that he took to the air and flew up and out of his hellish lair.
I think I'd prefer some sort of mash up between franchises for Ridley's intro, but I did enjoy that.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
@The Soulless One Take your time. Let me know when your Text-Wall Construction is finished, okay?
Wait, you're still doing that thing? Can't the whole thing be explained away by pointing out how pointless it would be for Sakurai to hide a boss? All the other non-playable characters were shown without any teasing, and when people weren't sure about Ashley, he came right out said she wasn't playable. That's not how he's treating Ridley though.

@ Spinosaurus Spinosaurus : Are you using the original Gamecube Prime, or the Trilogy version? Also, what kind of TV are you using? Gamecubes and Wiis aren't designed for the digital LCDs that everyone uses now, so there might be some lag between when you try to turn and when the TV shows it happening. It's the reason so many people have problem with the Oculus Rift, so that might be a part of the problem.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
[quote/]

But I think the big reason we care about Ridley's size at this point is because his size may determine what role he has in the game. We've seen a small glimpse of Ridley in the Direct, where he was teased as a boss. By analyzing what we saw of Ridley in the Direct (which would be his shadow, for the most part), it's possible that we can get a general idea of how big Ridley is. If he's large, then that would be a strong indication that he's simply a boss. On the other hand, if it seems that he's roughly the size of a large playable character, then that would be a strong indication that he's just that. So understanding just how big Ridley actually is in this game is rather important if we want to know whether or not he's playable.[/quote]
Perhaps, but his Supposed size isn't a strong enough indicator, to me anyways. Though many have analyzed his shadow and the shadow of others, we always come up with varying results, and besides, without a copy of the game, there is no way to determine that the shadows that were gathered were accurate in relation to Ridley's size. HOWEVER, the thing that sold me on his playability was something that didn't even require analysis- his Choppy animation. Size may help, but we can't prove his exact size, as we've proved with our varying character size charts, each depicting Ridley at a different height. However, his choppy animation and behavior was characteristic of a playable character, and this we can prove. it doesn't take endless analyzing; just opening one's eyes.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

This is pretty random but I will say it because it's true.

Like 2 nights ago I dreamt Wario was revealed.

Nothing too special but I was psyched to check the PotD that day for some dejavu stuff but no.....

Really loo king forward to seeing him, Falcon & Ganondorf more than any newcomer that ain't Ridley or K. Rool but of Mewtwo too.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
@ Spinosaurus Spinosaurus : Are you using the original Gamecube Prime, or the Trilogy version? Also, what kind of TV are you using? Gamecubes and Wiis aren't designed for the digital LCDs that everyone uses now, so there might be some lag between when you try to turn and when the TV shows it happening. It's the reason so many people have problem with the Oculus Rift, so that might be a part of the problem.
I played both Metroid Prime (on the Gamecube) and Metroid Prime 3.

Really good point on the TV, I didn't think of that. I'm using a digital LCD like you said, so maybe you're right that the input lag is causing this. I don't have a CRT monitor with me at the moment, but I'll try again when I get access to one. Thanks for the suggestion! Hopefully this works and I can finally play Prime with no problems. :]

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
In terms of Samus' suits, the Phazon suit is by far my favorite, with the Gravity suit at second. I have the F4F statue sitting in my living room :)

As for Ridley, I'd love a taunt where he curls up like in Corruption for a split second before opening his wings and shrieking menacingly.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I played both Metroid Prime (on the Gamecube) and Metroid Prime 3.

Really good point on the TV, I didn't think of that. I'm using a digital LCD like you said, so maybe you're right that the input lag is causing this. I don't have a CRT monitor with me at the moment, but I'll try again when I get access to one. Thanks for the suggestion! Hopefully this works and I can finally play Prime with no problems. :]
I noticed how much of a problem it was when I tried to get my friend to play it and he couldn't aim right. Hopefully you'll be able to work around it.

Also, not that you'll probably ever get your hands on it, but it looks like the Prime Trilogy has a widescreen mode.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
I think all Ridley battles are awesome but Iam legit surprised to see no one mention Meta Ridley prime 3 boss fight, that's one of the hypest boss battles in Metriod!

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I think all Ridley battles are awesome but Iam legit surprised to see no one mention Meta Ridley prime 3 boss fight, that's one of the hypest boss battles in Metriod!
If you mean the first time you fight Ridley in that game, I agree, it's pretty awesome. Falling to your death while fighting a giant dragon was a thrill.

I do think fighting him in Prime 1 was still better, gameplay wise. It's one of my favorite fights.

Top Bottom