• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I think it's probably a reflection, judging from what I can see on the stage.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Bah, I missed the 1000 page celebration.

But oh well, I'll be on topic for the remainder of this thread's existence. I thought about Ridley's standard attacks, and he should use his tail-spike for multi-hit jabs. It would differentiate him from Bowser and Charizard, who detractors often use as examples of Ridley being "unoriginal".

So basically, his tilts, and his aerials should all use it in some form instead of his claws.
I think a simple tail swipe, akin to that from his Other M fight, would work perfectly as a f-tilt. Good range, but a lot of startup and ending lag to fit the sloppy ground game but godlike aerial game playstyle. I'm not so sure about the d-tilt though, maybe use it as a scorpion stinger? Depends on how his ducking animation is. U-tilt could easily be an upwards sting or even a swipe as an anti-aerial maneuver, I'd really like if his tail is as flexible as possible.

For aerial tail attacks I'd like to see the obvious downwards spike. It should spike on the tail blade's hitbox, but throw the opponent upwards if it's the tail itself's hitbox that hits, in that way you can choose whether you want to set up a combo or dunk the opponent straight down. Considering he'll have a flight gimmick if he's playable it'd fit best for him to stay in the air and not dive straight down pogo-style with it imo. For his back air I'd love to see him do that circle motion with his tail that he sometimes does in Super Metroid, just leened more backwards, of course that'd require for his tail to be super flexible, but it works for me. It could have an insane hitbox and be a big counter to people that try and approach him from behind, being one of those great aerial moves that we could boast about.

That's the tail-related standard attacks I can come up with at least.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I can't understand how people go off on Ridley being unoriginal for using tail or claw or fire attacks which Bowser and Charizard also use (in different ways) when we literally have a character whose entire moveset is composed *LITERALLY* 100% exclusively of *THE* most generic attack in a fighting game ever: Punchpunchpunchpunchpunch

People (detractors) need to figure out that being able to do new things isn't necessary to make a character perfectly unique. They just need to be able to utilize the same abilities in completely new ways. This is why Pit, Link, Meta Knight, Marth, and Ike aren't all clones despite all using swords. And also why Wolf wasn't a clone despite having a similar framework for his special moves.

If Ridley can tail stab, claw, and breathe fire in a UNIQUE WAY it literally does not matter that he tail stabs, claws, and breathes fire.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think lava is confirmed not to be a hazard, as it shows up in both the normal and Final Destination versions of Pyrosphere.

Makes me scared for Ridley, since there IS a Final Destination version of a seemingly straightforward stage.
I dunno, I guess we'll see.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I can't understand how people go off on Ridley being unoriginal for using tail or claw or fire attacks which Bowser and Charizard also use (in different ways) when we literally have a character whose entire moveset is composed *LITERALLY* 100% exclusively of *THE* most generic attack in a fighting game ever: Punchpunchpunchpunchpunch

People (detractors) need to figure out that being able to do new things isn't necessary to make a character perfectly unique. They just need to be able to utilize the same abilities in completely new ways. This is why Pit, Link, Meta Knight, Marth, and Ike aren't all clones despite all using swords. And also why Wolf wasn't a clone despite having a similar framework for his special moves.

If Ridley can tail stab, claw, and breathe fire in a UNIQUE WAY it literally does not matter that he tail stabs, claws, and breathes fire.
I don't understand how you don't see that ridley would just be an enlarged pikachu clone

they both have tails, they're both pokemon, open your eyes man. We need more original characters.

I think lava is confirmed not to be a hazard, as it shows up in both the normal and Final Destination versions of Pyrosphere.

Makes me scared for Ridley, since there IS a Final Destination version of a seemingly straightforward stage.
Remember, there's also a FD version of battlefield. don't worry too much about that, haha

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
So, basically the mods locked the thread and took over the first half of page 1,000 with @ IsmaR IsmaR even double posting to initiate the event.

Well that was cheap of them. Also I never seem to be around when this thread locks...

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Ahh, your avi's back where it should be

and life was good
You never noticed it this whole time? :laugh:

I think a simple tail swipe, akin to that from his Other M fight, would work perfectly as a f-tilt. Good range, but a lot of startup and ending lag to fit the sloppy ground game but godlike aerial game playstyle. I'm not so sure about the d-tilt though, maybe use it as a scorpion stinger? Depends on how his ducking animation is. U-tilt could easily be an upwards sting or even a swipe as an anti-aerial maneuver, I'd really like if his tail is as flexible as possible.

For aerial tail attacks I'd like to see the obvious downwards spike. It should spike on the tail blade's hitbox, but throw the opponent upwards if it's the tail itself's hitbox that hits, in that way you can choose whether you want to set up a combo or dunk the opponent straight down. Considering he'll have a flight gimmick if he's playable it'd fit best for him to stay in the air and not dive straight down pogo-style with it imo. For his back air I'd love to see him do that circle motion with his tail that he sometimes does in Super Metroid, just leened more backwards, of course that'd require for his tail to be super flexible, but it works for me. It could have an insane hitbox and be a big counter to people that try and approach him from behind, being one of those great aerial moves that we could boast about.

That's the tail-related attacks I can come up with at least.
Those are really good suggestions, and could work well with the Other M-inspired Ridley we're seemingly going to get. I still haven't played Other M, so I can't make a moveset that's based on that.

On wing attacks, I think they should only be used in combos like this video of True Ogre.

Basically, Ridley should use them in his dash attacks.

Olimario1892

Smash Apprentice
Well, Battlefield also gets a Final Destination version, so I worry too much about that.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Last edited:

Iddis

Smash Apprentice

We made it to the 1,000 pages amazing job everyone! *cheers* (Hopefully we will see playable Ridley soon! and why do I miss all the big milestones?!?)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Battlefield also has an FD version, so....

Edit: Ninja'd.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
is anyone else annoyed on how Game Explain makes fun of Ridley fans.
I've said this before and I'll say it again:
I'm not even going to watch it.
GameXplain is good at "Xplaining" things, I relied on them for Mario Kart 8 news, but as soon as the step out of the realm of reporting and start giving opinions I find myself disagreeing with everything they spew.
Basically, if it's unscripted, I don't like it

But this?
From the damn conjurers of "Pac-Man in the clouds" comes "Ridley supporters do stupid things that they never actually seriously did."
This just makes me so mad....I'M GONNA THROW HAMMERS

Not really. This has happened so many times that I've learned to not let it bother me.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, congrats on 1000 pages!
That sure is big!
And I'm really glad that "Mod Squad" is becoming a thing. :p

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I also wrote an alternative haiku btw~

Ridley be damn large,
Matter not mods are in charge,
How awesome are Miis?

I'm unfortunately a bit of a metroid degenerate; I've gotten through a fair share of three games but never finished any (fought ridley once,._.), so I can't really serve any purpose here other than being a harbinger of doom, so until that's necessary (3 months? or until some real disconfirmation comes along, or a reveal comes along and we stare at a Ridley board) adios.

Don't be so hard on IsmaR~

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I also wrote an alternative haiku btw~

Ridley be damn large,
Matter not mods are in charge,
How awesome are Miis?

I'm unfortunately a bit of a metroid degenerate; I've gotten through a fair share of three games but never finished any (fought ridley once,._.), so I can't really serve any purpose here other than being a harbinger of doom, so until that's necessary (3 months? or until some real disconfirmation comes along, or a reveal comes along and we stare at a Ridley board) adios.

Don't be so hard on IsmaR~
I've only beaten the Primes and 3/4 of fusion.
The important thing is Ridley's size.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Alright, I updated my Ridley Pyrosphere size with a non-erect tail model.

Remember, it's the same size as before.

And a 4-player Ridley match.

Thoughts? Too big, too small?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Alright, I updated my Ridley Pyrosphere size with a non-erect tail model.

Remember, it's the same size as before.

And a 4-player Ridley match.

Thoughts? Too big, too small?
I never realized that they fit just about perfectly under the platforms.

Okay, now I'm starting to see it.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Has anyone considered a design which Ridley's wings and tail were mostly contracted other than for specials/maybe attacks?
Meta Knight in Brawl didn't immediately bring out his wings when he jumped, would need to double jump or dair and stuff.

Is the wing span being that ginormous really the make or break? (In other words its always consistently doubling ridley's bulk throughout representations)

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Has anyone considered a design which Ridley's wings and tail were mostly contracted other than for specials/maybe attacks?
Meta Knight in Brawl didn't immediately bring out his wings when he jumped, would need to double jump or dair and stuff.

Is the wing span being that ginormous really the make or break? (In other words its always consistently doubling ridley's bulk throughout representations)
We've discussed the possibilities of Ridley's tail contracted in his idle state, which would expand when he uses it to attack others. He's already done it before in Super Metroid, Fusion, and Zero Mission, so I wouldn't see why he won't do it as a playable character.

I would imagine Ridley's wings to be contracted like True Ogre's from Tekken. They seem average-sized at first, but when he uses them to attack or to fly, they're suddenly very wide.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I never realized that they fit just about perfectly under the platforms.

Okay, now I'm starting to see it.
If you take a look-see at Angelglory's model (which he made with the platforms and tallest characters in the game in mind with no consideration of my tail analysis in mind) you can see it's a little smaller than my scale.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I am gone for 9 hours and Ridley's thread already jumps 3 pages. So I guess we really are shooting for 2,000 pages.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
-u- I'm still glad that I can go back drawing Ridley stuff again. And now....I will be thinking in some ideas for the Omega vs. Roidley fight...

D

Deleted member

We made it to the 1,000 pages amazing job everyone! *cheers* (Hopefully we will see playable Ridley soon! and why do I miss all the big milestones?!?)
You already posted that on page 999 you silly.

Anyways, on the topic of finally getting a hazardless, semi-neutral Metroid Stage:

Ridley as a Stage Boss though?

EDIT: Apparently everyone is changing their avatars now that we've hit page 1000. So I guess I'll do the same.
Is that going to become a thing we do every 1000 pages now?

Last edited by a moderator:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
EDIT: Apparently everyone is changing their avatars now that we've hit page 1000. So I guess I'll do the same.
Is that going to become a thing we do every 1000 pages now?
xD In my case I just did it because the Ridley war propaganda I made was one of the first things (Alongside with my Ridley bag...) I showed when I joined Smashboards....It is just to revive some "nostalgia"...

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Hm. So how about that PoTD and its startling lack of Ridley or anything Ridley related? Cool, right? Also, I hope that height =/= weight class. I dn't want my mii to be a heavy weight like in Mario Kart...

Also, my quest to join the change your avatar club continues...

Last edited:

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
Well, I Unsubscribed GameXplain today! Ugh...............Ridley Haters.......I'd rather deal with this done unto me than deal with another Ridley Hater:

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
I worst thing is that, in the same video they talk about how Sakurai teased Palutena, but nope there is no way he could be teasing Ridley.

majora_787

Smash Hero
It wasn't so much hating as it was blanket false accusations (to me anyway). But yeh. At least they're not as bad as Japan Time.

Basically the difference between:

"Oh those silly Ridley fans always doing wacky dumb stuff we made up just now :awesome:"

and

"Sakurai vaguely alluded to Ridley's existance in a PotD in August? RIDLEY DECONFIRMED *PARTY NOISES AND CONFETTI*"

Last edited:
Top Bottom