• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Well guys. This is it.

I don't usually feel reveals. But I feel it now. And when I feel it, I don't lie (and neither do my hips)

We're getting Ridley really soon. Most likely playable, but there's always a chance of Sakurai pulling a double whammy on us.

I'm feeling next week even.

If it's the week after, the 26th (my bday) would be a great day Sakurai.

Hype?

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Well guys. This is it.

I don't usually feel reveals. But I feel it now. And when I feel it, I don't lie (and neither do my hips)

We're getting Ridley really soon. Most likely playable, but there's always a chance of Sakurai pulling a double whammy on us.

I'm feeling next week even.

If it's the week after, the 26th (my bday) would be a great day Sakurai.

Hype?
Hey, we share Birthdays! Both of us are on the 26th! :D
And yes, all the Ridley hype.
OOOOHI'MGOINSIDE-TO-SIDEANDYEAHMYHIPSDON'TLIE,I'MSTARTINGTOFEELTHEMSHAKE

candyissweet

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
hahahahaha ridley shall be revealed soon as a stage boss because he already has.

Marx the Jester

Smash Cadet
Guys, guys, hear me out.
In Smash, before you fight a new challenger, you get a silhouette, or a shadow if you will.

And what have we seen of Ridley so far?

Hmm?

NatP

Smash Ace
Guys, guys, hear me out.
In Smash, before you fight a new challenger, you get a silhouette, or a shadow if you will.

And what have we seen of Ridley so far?

Hmm?
This is... Wow, it's actually really smart now that I think about it. Back in 64 you saw the silhouettes of the unlockable characters in the intro before you even knew their names. Damn,

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Ridley super-fans and Ice Climbers haters, avert your eyes.
Although I'm not putting it in a spoiler just to mess with you. :troll:

Feel free to watch the progress of me making this image by clicking on Popo's face > :popo:
I like Ridley and the Ice Climbers.

What does that make me?

NatP

Smash Ace
My god, the 20th of August really is near isn't it? I still can't believe Sakurai teased Ridley a freaking YEAR ago. I know we've been expecting this for a while now, but Jesus Christ, a whole damn year and we still don't know Ridley's fate. It's just unbelievable.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
And then they show Ridley as a stage boss.

Honestly, at this point, I've pretty much lost hope again. Oh well.
I'm pretty sure that if Ridley's a stage hazard, they'll just anticlimactically disconfirm him in some PotD.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
And then they show Ridley as a stage boss.

Honestly, at this point, I've pretty much lost hope again. Oh well.
I highly doubt Sakurai would do that, if he was a stage boss he would have shown him by now, he gain's nothing from teasing FOR A WHOLE YEAR and not giving any pay-off, that would be sooo left field especially coming from Sakurai. He has officially stated he hates false hype.

ninja ed kinda?

Master of Bones

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brandooooooooooo
3DS FC
2208-5435-4490
I'd like to hear some more opinions on this. Do you think Ridley is likely to be revealed, unlockable, or potentially both? (A la Snake and Sonic in Brawl, but I guess those were special 3rd party cases). Then again, Ridley is definitely a special case, and at the LEAST a very... big deal for Sakurai to tease us for so long.

Last edited:

NatP

Smash Ace
If Ridley is indeed playable he'll get the hypest, most awesome trailer ever imaginable. I have no doubt about that. Ridley being playable would generate WAAAAAYYYY too much buzz for him to not be revealed before release.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
If Ridley is indeed playable he'll get the hypest, most awesome trailer ever imaginable. I have no doubt about that. Ridley being playable would generate WAAAAAYYYY too much buzz for him to not be revealed before release.
Don't forget, announcing pacman while 400k people were watching the invitational would have generated a ton of buzz. But no, they announce him through twitter.

NatP

Smash Ace
Don't forget, announcing pacman while 400k people were watching the invitational would have generated a ton of buzz. But no, they announce him through twitter.
Good point. I still don't know why Sakurai didn't want to show him at the invitational... Did they think people would boo him? (I certainly didn't want Pac-man in the game before I saw his trailertbh)

Last edited:

Zekrom101

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zekrom101
Actually he was revealed at the roundtable after the invitational, just hear that reaction!

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I'd like to hear some more opinions on this. Do you think Ridley is likely to be revealed, unlockable, or potentially both? (A la Snake and Sonic in Brawl, but I guess those were special 3rd party cases). Then again, Ridley is definitely a special case, and at the LEAST a very... big deal for Sakurai to tease us for so long.
I think this has been talked about multiple times before, but I think he'll be announced prior to release and still be unlockable, or stay secret (like Wolf and others in Brawl).

Either way, there's no way in my mind he can be a starter character.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Judgement day is coming soon. Also I linked a detractor to the second post...

Brace yourselves, maybe.

I get points for trying, right?

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
Judgement day is coming soon. Also I linked a detractor to the second post...

Brace yourselves, maybe.

I get points for trying, right?
hopefully he'll be open minded, he wasnt using caps when he was detracting?

Also, another Metroid Anniversary has passed...how many do we have left? i knows theres the Ridley pic from the 20th last year, then Other M on the 31st

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
hopefully he'll be open minded, he wasnt using caps when he was detracting?

Also, another Metroid Anniversary has passed...how many do we have left? i knows theres the Ridley pic from the 20th last year, then Other M on the 31st
Metroid 2 (Aug. 26th) and one in Sep. 4th are the only ones that come to mind.
Which is ironic because that's when my birthday and school-start dates are, respectively.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Ok time to try this splitting up the post thing so my response is more coherent
Pretty much. So how do ya feel about the clone's armor skin trait being part of a Ridley moveset now, like as a special move for temporary projectile immunity or something? (assuming you didn't really know what to think of it before when seeing it in people's posted movesets) Still hoping he'd get that in some form, aside from having certain tail or claw attacks as a special.
Your assumption is correct, I didn't really know what to think of it before.

I think it's an interesting idea, definitely unique, but I'm not sure if specifically I'd like it. It feels like the kind of move I'd never use correctly. If it were one of his custom moves, with the other options fairly different, I think it'd be cool. But if we have (and all evidence points towards it so far) Roidley as the Ridley in sm4sh, I don't think it would be farfetched to imagine that as one of his moves. However, I still like my moveset better because I made it xD (if you haven't seen it, it's here in the analysis I wrote in the Week in Review #29)

I'm actually interested on hearing your thoughts on it, since I tried to focus on aerial game play without giving any gliding mechanics, aerial smashes, or gimmicks in that particular direction.

As mentioned, you got power bombs during the Queen Metroid fight which you had to use to destroy her from the inside. Game just wasn't clear to the player that they were useable at that point, which was why I died a lot when I got inside the Queen during my first playthrough and was like "Wait, why aren't the normal bombs killing her like in Metroid II?". xD
Yep same thing happened to me. Except I got lucky and held down the button by accident and won without knowing I'd used a power bomb xD

Goes without saying, but agree on Roidley's demise too. Seemed kind of anticlimactic since there was kind of a buildup at facing him again after the final encounter with Adam. "Defeat Ridley. He's as much a threat as the Metroids." But I guess they had to explain the existence of the frozen Ridley corpse in Fusion somehow.
I wasn't too disappointed by it since I already knew there was only one Ridley fight in the game, but playing through it was still a little disheartening.
The deleter was James by the way if I recall right. Was just one of those things the game left the player to connect the dots on I suppose. Anyway, there is the post-game segment where you can have a nice fanservicey fight with Phantoon from Super Metroid, but wouldn't blame ya if you just felt done with the game by now.
Yeah I did gather that, he's the only one other than Anthony who we didn't see dead, afterall. It was just odd because they seemed to place a lot of emphasis on that subplot earlier in the game, what with Samus' monologues, and then it just kinda gets brushed aside. Not a huge deal, but made me scratch my head.

BattleBlock Theater's an odd game I have that's on my list to eventually complete as well. lol
I would recommend it, I've been playing through the single player mode and it's a very solid platformer. I'm about 2/3 of the way through the easy mode, then I plan to tackle the extreme mode. It's not too difficult (having played both I wanna be the guy and gotten a 97% in Super Meat Boy, I'm used to hellish platformers), but it is enjoyable, and the humor is great too. Probably one of the better indies I've played this year. Last year, though, there were some absolute godlike indies so it wouldn't compare back then.
Not like the series hasn't had a habit of doing that before. The Phazon Beam in the 1st Metroid Prime, the Hyper Beam in Super Metroid, the Omega Cannon in Prime Hunters... None of them were useable/attainable until the final boss. Other M and Fusion should've had their own unique ultimate weapons though with that said.
Yeah, it wasn't a complain centered at Other M, just meh game design in general. I felt the same way about Prime 1, the Phazon beam was amazing, but we only got to barely use it...

That being said, it was a little sillier in Other M, where the final weapon is needed to unlock doors for powerups, which you can only get after beating the last boss.... lol. I mean it adds to replayability a bit, but it's the same areas you've already been through, and the environment was as enticing as some of the places in Prime 1/2/3, so it don't particularly want to go back. Might go for that boss fight though.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Not like the series hasn't had a habit of doing that before. The Phazon Beam in the 1st Metroid Prime, the Hyper Beam in Super Metroid, the Omega Cannon in Prime Hunters... None of them were useable/attainable until the final boss. Other M and Fusion should've had their own unique ultimate weapons though with that said.
Fusion had Ice Beam, which was unattainable until...the final boss fight. Not a SUPER MEGA DEATH CHRIST weapon but still easily the most powerful beam in that game. Other M doesn't have one because it's Other M. Power Bombs were technically used in the training sequence in the opening, so I don't count that one.

Also, Other M, after quietly replaying it myself (to also pass time, a la @ Phaazoid Phaazoid ) really shows off Ridley's ground game. He really is up in-your-face when he's on the ground. As much as I love the Primes, I feel like they really got Ridley's ground game well in Other M. I still believe as a fighter, he'd have to have some type of aerial advantage more than a ground one. He would be a perfect pick (or counterpick, if you will) to be the Yin to Little Mac's Yang.

Top Bottom