• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Why are you guys excited? You hope to see the new build from PAX with (finally) confirmation of Ridley being a boss on Pyrosphere?
Yeah, I want to end the suffering too.

despairing

Smash Rookie
What time zone is it from 2 to 6 Its 6 where I am, you guys are talking about it like its still going on? Ridley needs to get announced sooner or later
I believe it's 5-9 EST, and 2-6 Pacific.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Still holding out hope for more characters, but the All-Star pic makes it hard to think Ridley could be in.

All the "missing" characters from that pic can be justified to be missing.

Duck Hunt is from 1984. ROB released before Super Mario Bros in 1985. Kid Icarus released after Metroid in 1986.

The possibilities are these:

1. Characters in All-Star mode are shown grouped by game. Since Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda and Metroid released in 1985 and 1986, that's the time period it shows. Ridley not being shown means he's not playable.
    1. When you defeat the characters from a game, the next game shows. So when you defeat Peach and Bowser, the characters shift, and Pit and Palutena will show at the bottom.
    2. When you defeat all shown, the next set of characters shows. That would mean Pit, Palutena, Marth. Dr. Mario, Yoshi and/or Captain Falcon (Yoshi and Capt Falcon debuted on the same day) are next.
  2. Only five characters are ever shown in All-Star mode.
    1. Characters rotate singly. After Peach is defeated, the portraits shift and then either Ridley (if he's in) or Pit appears at the bottom right.
    2. Characters rotate in sets of five. This is not possible since there are not ten characters to precede Peach.
Possibility 1.1 seems most likely. 1.2 seems problematic since there are only seven to show before Peach, meaning either a set of four and then three, or one set of seven, neither of which seems ideal. 2.1 is possible, but seems less likely than 1.1. 2.2 doesn't work.

Ridley's only chance is if it works as in 2.1

If it's 1.1 or 2.1, then the roster leak would imply this ordering: (Characters on the same line debuted simultaneously and so have flexible ordering):

Apr 1980 Mr. Game & Watch
May 1980 Pac-Man
Jul 1981 Mario, Donkey Kong
Jul 1983 Luigi
Feb 1984 Little Mac*
Apr 1984 Duck Hunt
Jul 1985 R.O.B.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||| Screen shot shows:
||| Sep 1985 Peach
||| Sep 1985 Bowser
||| Feb 1986 Link
||| Feb 1986 Zelda
||| Aug 1986 Samus
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Dec 1986 Pit, Palutena
Dec 1987 Mega Man
Jul 1989 Ness*
Apr 1990 Marth
Jul 1990 Dr. Mario
Nov 1990 Yoshi**, Captain Falcon (separate launch titles)
Jul 1991 Sonic
Apr 1992 Kirby, King Dedede
Oct 1992 Wario*
Feb 1993 Fox, Falco
Mar 1993 Meta Knight
Jan 1994 Wario*
Nov 1994 Diddy Kong
Feb 1996 Charizard, Pikachu, Jigglypuff
Nov 1998 Sheik, Ganondorf
Apr 2001 Villager
Oct 2001 Olimar
Jul 2002 Bowser Jr
Dec 2002 Toon Link
Feb 2004 Zero-Suit Samus***
Apr 2005 Ike
Dec 2006 Mii Fighters
Nov 2007 Rosalina
Dec 2007 Wii Fit Trainer
Jun 2010 Shulk
Mar 2012 Dark Pit
Apr 2012 Robin, Lucina
Oct 2013 Greninja

*Brawl used series debut, while the screen shot implies this is based on character debut. Little Mac debuted in Oct 1987, Wario in Oct 1992, and Ness in Aug 1994 . But Punch-Out debuted in 1983, Wario Land in 1994 and Mother in 1989. The order of the leaked roster would imply he's using the earlier dates for Little Mac and Ness, since Little Mac appears before Duck Hunt and Ness appears before Captain Falcon. Wario's placement is thus unclear since his CSS placement is based on him being a Mario spin-off rather than his debut date.

**Unlike Wario, in Brawl, Yoshi's placement in All-Star mode was based on character debut rather than series debut. Deciding which game counts as Yoshi's "series debut" would be complicated since his first starring role was in a Mario-branded game.

***Zero-Suit Samus could be argued to debut in Aug 1986, since the Justin Bailey code allows you to play as Samus without the Power Suit. However, Justin Bailey Samus has a different design and the same abilities as Power Suit Samus, lacking the signature features of ZSS. Sakurai could justify either placement however. ZSS being placed in 1986 only works with the 2.1 variation.
Yo pit is missing he debuted in 1985 too

And palutena is incorrect shes 1985 too she was in the nes version of kid icarus.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Don't take it the wrong way guys, but expecting a reveal at Pax i think doesn't make much sense, haven't we learned anything from ComicCon or Gamescom? Especially after we just got Shulk's reveal.
I actually expected a reveal at PAX, not the 3DS Direct, because of the fact that PAX is getting a special behind closed doors event Comiccon and Gamescom did not. I'd be shocked if we didn't get a reveal because of the behind-closed-doors event.

Yo pit is missing he debuted in 1985 too

And palutena is incorrect shes 1985 too she was in the nes version of kid icarus.
According to my reading KI is 1986.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Nintendo's marketing department is the worst in the business.

If ridley will ever be revealed.

It'll be through a damn tweet

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
close-minded because i hate hacked games and competitive players and PC gamers?

no, that is how things should be.

just like how ridley SHOULD be in smash.

you calling my opinion close-minded, makes YOU close-minded in return.
chill, I know it easy to lose your cool, with Ridley's suspense. But keep it together.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Don't take it the wrong way guys, but expecting a reveal at Pax i think doesn't make much sense, haven't we learned anything from ComicCon or Gamescom? Especially after we just got Shulk's reveal.
Nintendo is holding a roundtable CLOSED DOOR conferance.
Shulk was in a japanese direct, pax is america.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
!?/!?!??!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?

:awesome::troll:
Still looks gorgeous. It doesn't looks awful because you can't see that Ridley's neck, which was awfully done in this hack.
Still holding out hope for more characters, but the All-Star pic makes it hard to think Ridley could be in.

All the "missing" characters from that pic can be justified to be missing.

Duck Hunt is from 1984. ROB released before Super Mario Bros in 1985. Kid Icarus released after Metroid in 1986.

1. Characters in All-Star mode are shown grouped by game. Since Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda and Metroid released in 1985 and 1986, that's the time period it shows. Ridley not being shown means he's not playable.
    1. When you defeat the characters from a game, the next game shows. So when you defeat Peach and Bowser, the characters shift, and Pit and Palutena will show at the bottom.
    2. When you defeat all shown, the next set of characters shows. That would mean Pit, Palutena, Marth. Dr. Mario, Yoshi and/or Captain Falcon (Yoshi and Capt Falcon debuted on the same day) are next.
    1. Characters rotate singly. After Peach is defeated, the portraits shift and then either Ridley (if he's in) or Pit appears at the bottom right.
    2. Characters rotate in sets of five. This is not possible since there are not ten characters to precede Peach.
Possibility 1.1 seems most likely. 1.2 seems problematic since there are only seven to show before Peach, meaning either a set of four and then three, or one set of seven, neither of which seems ideal. 2.1 is possible, but seems less likely than 1.1. 2.2 doesn't work.

If it's 1.1 or 2.1, then the roster leak would imply this ordering: (Characters on the same line debuted simultaneously and so have flexible ordering):

Apr 1980 Mr. Game & Watch
May 1980 Pac-Man
Jul 1981 Mario, Donkey Kong
Jul 1983 Luigi
Feb 1984 Little Mac*
Apr 1984 Duck Hunt
Jul 1985 R.O.B.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||| Screen shot shows:
||| Sep 1985 Peach
||| Sep 1985 Bowser
||| Feb 1986 Link
||| Feb 1986 Zelda
||| Aug 1986 Samus
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Dec 1986 Pit, Palutena
Dec 1987 Mega Man
Jul 1989 Ness*
Apr 1990 Marth
Jul 1990 Dr. Mario
Nov 1990 Yoshi**, Captain Falcon (separate launch titles)
Jul 1991 Sonic
Apr 1992 Kirby, King Dedede
Oct 1992 Wario*
Feb 1993 Fox, Falco
Mar 1993 Meta Knight
Jan 1994 Wario*
Nov 1994 Diddy Kong
Feb 1996 Charizard, Pikachu, Jigglypuff
Nov 1998 Sheik, Ganondorf
Apr 2001 Villager
Oct 2001 Olimar
Jul 2002 Bowser Jr
Dec 2002 Toon Link
Feb 2004 Zero-Suit Samus***
Apr 2005 Ike
Dec 2006 Mii Fighters
Nov 2007 Rosalina
Dec 2007 Wii Fit Trainer
Jun 2010 Shulk
Mar 2012 Dark Pit
Apr 2012 Robin, Lucina
Oct 2013 Greninja

*Brawl used series debut, while the screen shot implies this is based on character debut. Little Mac debuted in Oct 1987, Wario in Oct 1992, and Ness in Aug 1994 . But Punch-Out debuted in 1983, Wario Land in 1994 and Mother in 1989. The order of the leaked roster would imply he's using the earlier dates for Little Mac and Ness, since Little Mac appears before Duck Hunt and Ness appears before Captain Falcon. Wario's placement is thus unclear since his CSS placement is based on him being a Mario spin-off rather than his debut date.

**Unlike Wario, in Brawl, Yoshi's placement in All-Star mode was based on character debut rather than series debut. Deciding which game counts as Yoshi's "series debut" would be complicated since his first starring role was in a Mario-branded game.

***Zero-Suit Samus could be argued to debut in Aug 1986, since the Justin Bailey code allows you to play as Samus without the Power Suit. However, Justin Bailey Samus has a different design and the same abilities as Power Suit Samus, lacking the signature features of ZSS. Sakurai could justify either placement however. ZSS being placed in 1986 only works with the 2.1 variation.
It just says 1985-1986, so, it includes everyone from January 1st 1985 to December 1985/1986. If he is not included JUST because he was before Super Mario Bros, then why there is ANYTHING before that?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
At least they acknowledge that Ridley is as important to video-games as Pac-Man. That is quite the honor.
That's why they'll announce Duck Hunt instead. :troll:

Honestly, I can't think of anyone else left in the leaked roster who could hype the game, and we should still get a Smash Direct as well. Unless they're going to save a Smash Direct for the Wii U game...

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Still looks gorgeous. It doesn't looks awful because you can't see that Ridley's neck, which was awfully done in this hack.

It just says 1985-1986, so, it includes everyone from January 1st 1986 to December 1986/1987. If he is not included JUST because he was before Super Mario Bros, then why there is ANYTHING before that?
Could be June to June, did we consider that? :p

MrBill0327

Smash Cadet
im honestly confused how shulk being announced helps ridley. The artwork for the leak is the same as shulks on the website i mean im keeping my hopes up but still

micstar615

Smash Ace
Yeah..I was expecting the last reveal to be a big hyped reveal. It would make perfect sense to max out the hype before launch with a highly anticipated character being revealed. I don't think DHD or Bowser Jr quite fit that.

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
Our chances of getting Ridley revealed today are as high as my chances of doing something productive today.

Chances are they're gonna announce dixie kong, Bowser Jr or something.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yeah..I was expecting the last reveal to be a big hyped reveal. It would make perfect sense to max out the hype before launch with a highly anticipated character being revealed. I don't think DHD or Bowser Jr quite fit that.
Reminder may not be today

But could be next week or the next.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
The pax secret conference began 1 hour and 30 minutes ago (this is in mountain time.)

Its 4 hours long.
Ech. They are probably just going to release the information at the end of this whole mess, considering no-one from GameXplain is tweeting anything. Welp, have sweet nightmares everyone, I'm going to sleep through the wait.

EDIT: The bloody even has been embargoed.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=127675180&postcount=8480
Yep. Go to sleep everyone, nothing to see here.

Our chances of getting Ridley revealed today are as high as my chances of doing something productive today.

Chances are they're gonna announce dixie kong, Bowser Jr or something.
If it's Dixie then I'd be okay with it too because that would confirm that other leak and I'm not even going to bother with being paranoid about things anymore.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Ech. They are probably just going to release the information at the end of this whole mess, considering no-one from GameXplain is tweeting anything. Welp, have sweet nightmares everyone, I'm going to sleep through the wait.

EDIT: The bloody even has been embargoed.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=127675180&postcount=8480
Yep. Go to sleep everyone, nothing to see here.

If it's Dixie then I'd be okay with it too because that would confirm that other leak and I'm not even going to bother with being paranoid about things anymore.
So...wait, what does this mean exactly?
Is no one allowed to speak of the things that happen at that event?

BoxedCookies

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5370-0875-8652
Apparently the media event conference thingy is under strict embargo according to Ash from GameXplain. Looks like we might not hear anything about Ridley any time soon. :/

EDIT: :4greninja:'d to the max.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So...wait, what does this mean exactly?
Is no one allowed to speak of the things that happen at that event?
If yes, then there is something they want to hide...something important...hm...i have absolutely no idea what it could be. Nope. It is definidely not something Smash related.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I fully expect a character reveal at PAX
They revealed Shulk in the japanese direct this morning, Shulk was among their most wanted.
I think that they're going to reveal Ridley at PAX, Ridley is among our most wanted.
(Also the closed door press conferance similar to Wee Feet Train-ehr and Pac-woman.)

If yes, then there is something they want to hide...something important...hm...i have absolutely no idea what it could be. Nope. It is definidely not something Smash related.
That would explain the lack of livetweets.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

I dunno, 2.1 seems like the more the smoother option to go about it, since the number of characters shown remains consistent that way. 1.1 will make the list look weird.

Plus, who's to say they didn't include Ridley in the All Star mode on that build to avoid newcomer leaks (Ganondorf was a goof up)

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
It just says 1985-1986, so, it includes everyone from January 1st 1985 to December 1985/1986. If he is not included JUST because he was before Super Mario Bros, then why there is ANYTHING before that?
It is showing characters from Sep 1985-Aug 1986.

It cannot be showing from Jan 1985, since ROB debuted in Jul 1985. It cannot be showing until Dec 1985, since The Legend of Zelda and Metroid released in 1986. It cannot be showing until Dec 1986, because Kid Icarus released in Dec 1986.

This is not a question of what it's showing. We know that it's only showing Peach, Bowser, Link, Zelda and Samus.

I don't know what point you're trying to make.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Ok, confession time. I want to tell you all the main reason why I support Ridley for ssb4. I'll put it in spoilers because it might not be a story a lot of people want to know.

Yeah, I think Ridley is cool, and deserves it and all that, but the reason I want him in is more for my brother. He was dead set that Ridley was going to be in brawl, and at the time I was a toobiggot. The last time I ever talked to him, he told me Ridley would definately be in brawl, and I laughed at him and said it would never happen. He then told me "we'll see." and then he left in the car and died in a crash. Later on, I was diagnosed with a disease called Pemphigus. It's not one most people have heard of, so look it up if you must, but I warn you it is fairly disturbing. You all can just say "well, let's just hope he's in smash 5" if he gets deconfirmed, but I will never get to play smash 5. I'll be lucky if I make it to next summer. When this thread convinced me Ridley was viable, I decided I wanted him in for my brother. He never got to see Ridley in smash, and died believing he was already in, and that being the last thing we talked about, I want to see Ridley in smash before I go as well. Ridley in smash isn't a joke to me. That's why I hate smug detractors who simply laugh at the idea and move on, becuase that's the last thing I did with my brother. I laughed and moved on, and it hurts to see others making the same mistake. It's why I hate stupid memes making fun of Ridley fans, why I hate all these tricks and mindgames, and why he is my most wanted character in smash. I want to make sure he's in so I can tell my brother he was right in the afterlife. This is all I want from smash bros. 4. Think of it as a final request of sorts. Here's hoping he finally makes it this time.
This is so touching, I hope for you and your brother that our great lord will be confirmed.

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
It is showing characters from Sep 1985-Aug 1986.

It cannot be showing from Jan 1985, since ROB debuted in Jul 1985. It cannot be showing until Dec 1985, since The Legend of Zelda and Metroid released in 1986. It cannot be showing until Dec 1986, because Kid Icarus released in Dec 1986.

This is not a question of what it's showing. We know that it's only showing Peach, Bowser, Link, Zelda and Samus.

I don't know what point you're trying to make.
well i mean, lets be real here. back then when all we had was metroid nes, was ridley that important? didnt his popularity really rise once super metroid happened?

Top Bottom