• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I just love how the explicit boss, Yellow Devil, and the implicit boss, Metal Face, are both on stages confirmed for both versions.

Pyrosphere Wii U exclusive, bb
Then again...

Although his case is a bit weird, since he was shown fully, but his role was never specified.

The mechanic of showing you your next round of opponents through the hologram like displays was great design and the liklihood of it changing is small, and thus doesn't bode well for Ridley.
Just because it's good design doesn't necessarily mean it will be kept in subsequent titles. Designers can goof up or experiment with certain assets.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The mechanic of showing you your next round of opponents through the hologram like displays has been a staple in every iteration. The liklihood of it changing is small, and thus doesn't bode well for Ridley.
Technically speaking, that hasn't changed. It's still showing who your next opponents are; it just may be that it's showing the characters immediately after that as well. Besides, the usual batch of stock icons showing every opponent in the top left corner is nowhere to be seen. Maybe this is a partial substitute for it? Just an idea.

Also, there are other "staples" of the series that have been changed in this game. We can't say that something won't be changed just because it never has been.

AlexTLW

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexTLW
3DS FC
0688-5455-7010
Dorf is still the main playable character in his case, so him appearing later makes total sense. Like how ZSS appears later due to technically debuting in Zero Mission, despite still being Samus.

And this would easily be averted by showing a different preview of the rest area. Maybe a more modern era of characters who don't really bring up any questions or abnormalities for potentially unrevealed characters.
True but If we go by that logic. the shadow of Ridley that we saw in the nintendo direct. was Metroid other M Ridley. who is in fact a clone of the original Ridley and first appeared in Metroid other M.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Watching an LP of Xenoblade.

What would you think of Metal Face as being the next Ridley?

He easily represents the antagonistic, ugly side of the series, he is considered an archenemy of sorts due to attacking the protagonist's hometown and killing someone very close to him, and he's big as sh*t.

Ooh, and like Ridley, he has a very good chance of being playable without running into any pesky "size" issue.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Then again...

Although his case is a bit weird, since he was shown fully, but his role was never specified.

I thought his role was confirmed in a PotD not to long ago. Or I'm I mistaken?

Just because it's good design doesn't necessarily mean it will be kept in subsequent titles.
And to add to that, if Sakurai didn't want to change All-Star Mode because it was a "good design", then why was Classic mode COMPLETELY changed to act similar to a mechanic in Uprising?

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Did clone Ridley not technically make his first appearance in 2002 in Fusion, even if we didn't know it was a clone back then?

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Ganondorf, ZSS, Pit, Palutena and Ridley deconfirmed because they don't appear on the all star video, Do you guys think that Ridley will share a trailer with Dark Pit?

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Actually, if the "first appearance of clone was Fusion" thing was the case (highly doubtful, though), it would mean that the "should be grouped with Samus" thing would go out of the window, since he'd be grouped with Zero Suit Samus, wouldn't it?

D

Deleted member 245254

Just because it's good design doesn't necessarily mean it will be kept in subsequent titles. Designers can goof up or experiment with certain assets.
What's more reasonable to assume in this case? That it changed or that an incredibly similar looking design choice happens to work similarly to how it did in previous generations?

You seem to be missing sonic brawlers point completely.

He's saying that there's a strong chance that this isn't the only 1985-1986 battle, meaning once this fight was finished Link would be paired up to fight the other candidates released in that time frame.

Given that, it seems wholly unlikely that they would split Ridley away from Samus in terms of your opponent line up given they seem to be grouping and presenting them to you in battle by franchise/appearance.

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
Did clone Ridley not technically make his first appearance in 2002 in Fusion, even if we didn't know it was a clone back then?
well in fusion, the ridley we saw was just an X parasite (edit because i forgot to put edit in here, sorry.):who took the form of its own version of ridley (because we saw a frozen super metroid ridley and the x parasite ridley looks way different) so...yeah

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
What's more reasonable to assume in this case? That it changed or that an incredibly similar looking design choice happens to work similarly to how it did in previous generations?

You seem to be missing sonic brawlers point completely.

He's saying that there's a strong chance that this isn't the only 1985-1986 battle, meaning once this fight was finished Link would be paired up to fight the other candidates released in that time frame.

Given that, it seems wholly unlikely that they would split Ridley away from Samus in terms of your opponent line up given they seem to be grouping and presenting them to you in battle by franchise/appearance.
Then, why isn't ganondorf with link and zelda? or ZSS with Samus?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
well why arent mario luigi bowser peach and someone else pared together?
Mario and Luigi debuted before Peach and Bowser. Mario debuted in Donkey Kong, Luigi debuted in Mario Bros. Peach and Bowser debuted in Super Mario Bros.

Brawl organised characters in All-Star mode by franchise chronology (i.e. you fought ALL Super Mario characters before ALL Zelda characters because the Super Mario franchise debuted before the Zelda franchise). However, this new All-Star mode seems to order them by each character's individual debut (One of the leaked photos also supports this, in that it shows the icon for All-Star mode). So naturally, I think Ridley would partake in the same battle as Samus, since they debuted at the exact same time. Peach and Bowser are getting this treatment as they are the exact same scenario, as are Zelda and Link.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
well in fusion, the ridley we saw was just an X parasite
In Clonely's defence, you do see the Clone's corpse waaaaaay before you see Ridley-X. Hell, you see the clone's corpse collapse right in front of you, meaning technically it still appeared un-Ridley-X-ified, y'know?

I knew this would come in handy.

Frozen Ridley.png

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Implying Classic was the only mode you could change difficulty on? :glare:
No, I wasn't referring to the difficulty of Classic Mode, I was referring to how it was constructed this time. Classic Mode normally when from one randomly chosen character from a pre-set selected series. This time, it was changed to behave like a mechanic in Uprising, where you choose a opponent you'd like to verse and bet a wager to set the difficulty. At least that's what I got from it.

Also why does every time someone starts this "debate", they seem to deviate from posts that counters their argument?

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
When did they first appear?
Ganondorf appeared in the original Zelda as Ganon, according to hyrule story, the ganon from the original zelda is the same one that appeared in Ocarina of Time but transormed in a beast, ZSS tecnically appeared in the original metroid with a special code

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
In Clonely's defence, you do see the Clone's corpse waaaaaay before you see Ridley-X. Hell, you see the clone's corpse collapse right in front of you, meaning technically it still appeared like that, y'know?

I knew this would come in handy.

View attachment 23617
i actually edited that stuff in right after i posted that comment, whoops. but i agree it could technically count.

View attachment 23618 Ridley disconfirmed.

Pack up guise, time to go home.
o gawd i cant wait to play on Mini-Boss Hideout II, i wonder what kind of stage it'll be like

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

Ganondorf appeared in the original Zelda as Ganon, according to hyrule story, the ganon from the original zelda is the same one that appeared in Ocarina of Time but transormed in a beast, ZSS tecnically appeared in the original metroid with a special code
I don't think they are building the chronological fight order in All-Star mode on semantics.

It's simple. When the character made it's visual mark for the first time is when it debut.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
I don't think they are building the chronological fight order in All-Star mode on semantics.

It's simple. When the character made it's visual mark for the first time is when it debut.
Well, we are getting Other M Ridley, who is a clone of the original Ridley, who didn't appeared until 2010

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
So you people are telling me were giving up over a planned sequence MEANT to show all stars mode? Would they honestly just let Ridley show his face right there?

Let all Sakurai's ambiguity and mystery go to waste on a two second sequence?

This is a joke, you people lose hope at the drop of a hat...

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
i actually edited that stuff in right after i posted that comment, whoops. but i agree it could technically count.

o gawd i cant wait to play on Mini-Boss Hideout II, i wonder what kind of stage it'll be like
'Tis all good! I mean, I don't see it happening, but it's not outright impossible, y'know?

Also, I really don't think that picture of All-Star Mode affects his chances in the slightest. It's just fun to speculate when he could show up.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
No, I wasn't referring to the difficulty of Classic Mode, I was referring to how it was constructed this time. Classic Mode normally when from one randomly chosen character from a pre-set selected series. This time, it was changed to behave like a mechanic in Uprising, where you choose a opponent you'd like to verse and bet a wager to set the difficulty. At least that's what I got from it.
No, that's not how it works. In Uprising, you pick the chapter you'd like to play, then toss hearts into the Fiend's Cauldron to increase or decrease the difficulty from the default. You can set the Intensity this way individually, for each chapter. If you die, the Intensity gets bumped down a full level, until it hits 2.0 again. This also knocks off some of the hearts you put up as stakes, as well as the ones you've earned in the level. If you clear the level, you get back any hearts left in the Fiend's Cauldron.

Here, it's more likely to work as it always has in Smash Bros: You balance the Fiend's Scales to your desired Intensity using coins, and then you play through the whole game at that Intensity. Choosing a path through the "story" is likely the only new thing.

D

Deleted member 245254

Well, we are getting Other M Ridley, who is a clone of the original Ridley, who didn't appeared until 2010
Um, you don't know what kind of playable Ridley you're getting because you don't even know if he is playable, so this is a misnomer.

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
Wrong Ridley, but the size seems about right...right?
Also, I can see Ridley looking like this while not moving if he has an "Always in the air mechanic".

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

So where's Zero Suit Samus? Does it not count because she technically appears in Zero Mission first? Then why can't Ridley count when we all know that Smash 4's Ridley is OTHER M based, who is a clone of the original version and appeared in 2010?

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Watching an LP of Xenoblade.

What would you think of Metal Face as being the next Ridley?

He easily represents the antagonistic, ugly side of the series, he is considered an archenemy of sorts due to attacking the protagonist's hometown and killing someone very close to him, and he's big as sh*t.

Ooh, and like Ridley, he has a very good chance of being playable without running into any pesky "size" issue.
Well, uh... I think Metal Face may actually be too big...

There's a reason I say that, but it's kind of major spoilers for Xenoblade...

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Um, you don't know what kind of playable Ridley you're getting because you don't even know if he is playable, so this is a misnomer.
It should be fairly obvious that if we get a playable Ridley, it will be Other M ridley, I'm pretty confident he is playable anyway

D

Deleted member 245254

So where's Zero Suit Samus? Does it not count because she technically appears in Zero Mission first? Then why can't Ridley count when we all know that Smash 4's Ridley is OTHER M based, who is a clone of the original version and appeared in 2010?
This thread has suggested that the boss Ridley and the playable Ridley will be different. Are you just ignoring that plausibility conveniently?

Unless you're suggesting Ridley isn't the boss in Pyrosphere, in which case delusions are likely running high this close to release.

Top Bottom