• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Metroid is pretty much dead in Japan. Too bad no one told Yoshio Sakamoto that before his "True Vision of Samus" came to light. Metroid isn't loved by Japan, therefore Nintendo treats it like ****. Plain and simple. If Nintendo had any respect for the franchise, they wouldn't have released Other M because they would've known how DAMAGING that game was to the brand. It can never be undone. It will last forever. And since they have more respect for Sakamoto than the series itself, I doubt they'll retcon it, meaning that stench will turn Metroid into a rotting corpse because they're too stupid to recognize what's wrong with it.
Well, that's a little dramatic.

Not too sure if Metroid will get super popular in Japan. But it's well liked in the West. That might have to do with it having more of a Western inspired style than most Nintendo series. Miyamoto wanted to series to be handled by Retro Studios again. If I'm not mistaken, they are working on another game.

Anyway, I'm not sure what this has to do with Ridley being in Smash.

I'm hoping he'll have a cool Final Smash, if he's playable. I'm not too fond of the Space Pirate horde idea. It doesn't seem all that fitting for Ridley.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Why?

I'm not trying to be mean. It's just that whenever I see opinions like this, that run counter to everything I know to be true, I legitimately want to know the reasoning behind them.
Story aside I preferred the combat in other M more than any other Metroid game.

Plus it's the only game that ever give Ridley a interesting story arc, even if it was small, normally he just shows up as a boss fight and that's about it, in Other M we see his entire growth cycle, which is one of the few things done right story wise, and anyway this is meant to be a Ridley thread not a Other M discussion, just thought I'd try and bridge it back somehow. Wonder if we see Little birdie as an assist trophy.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman

Plus it's the only game that ever give Ridley a interesting story arc, even if it was small, normally he just shows up as a boss fight and that's about it, in Other M we see his entire growth cycle, which is one of the few things done right story wise, and anyway this is meant to be a Ridley thread not a Other M discussion, just thought I'd try and bridge it back somehow. Wonder if we see Little birdie as an assist trophy.
What would he do? Scream and summon Kihunters to attack? Be a child prodigy and play dead to lure you in for a KO? I didn't mind the concept of Ridlevolution, or a lot of the concepts in the game, like Samus developing a motherly attachment to the Super Metroid (NOT "The Baby.") It's just that the way Other M executed them, just like everything else in the game, ended up... executing them.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
What would he do? Scream and summon Kihunters to attack? Be a child prodigy and play dead to lure you in for a KO? I didn't mind the concept of Ridlevolution, or a lot of the concepts in the game, like Samus developing a motherly attachment to the Super Metroid (NOT "The Baby.") It's just that the way Other M executed them, just like everything else in the game, ended up... executing them.
Little birdie could be more of a troll assist and attack the person who used the assist trophy, unless it was Ridley, special Ridley privileges.

NK1046

Smash Apprentice

I agree about Ridley's arc, but I personally have a problem with the furby Ridley. It was too silly for me and made Ridley look like a joke

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
Little birdie could be more of a troll assist and attack the person who used the assist trophy, unless it was Ridley, special Ridley privileges.
Or when Ridley summons him there could be a time paradox and open up a black hole temporarily, damaging all opponents for like 12 seconds 5% each time, making for a stronger assist.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Yeah, it wasn't bad in a few aspects, and that some Metroid fans mark it as the spawn of hell itself and something just as bad as Sonic 06. Sure it wasn't that good in terms of writing, but from gameplay it was... Decent?
Very few games are on the same badness-level as Sonic '06. I mean, that game had shoddy writing, terrible graphics, loading times that were not only long, but also absurdly numerous and very oddly placed, and is buggy beyond belief. And there is yet more.
Metroid Other M isn't bad. Sure, it isn't that good either, but I smell a lot of expectations and bias thrown around. And like @ CrypticSpark CrypticSpark mentioned, this is the only time in the games where Ridley actually gets a bit of character, displays him as more than just a mindless beast.
I feel like it's kind of like StarFox Adventures. SF: A wasn't originally a StarFox title, but was made one anyway. Because the gameplay was pretty much not really what people were expecting for a StarFox game, well, guess what they thought.

It shows that he is actually intelligent. No, I am not going to say they did it well, because they didn't, but it's at least something to be less upset about.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If Ridley makes it in, which version should he get? I personally want him as Prime Ridley
Meta-Ridley would be cool. But I'm pretty sure, from what little we saw, it's going to be Other M Ridley, even if he isn't playable. Even if didn't get a glimpse of his model, he'd likely match his design with whatever Samus design was used.

Of course, if he is playable. I'm going for the Zero Mission color, if it's there.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
So ten days left and most the odds for rildley are up.Now with the ninka leak and the other leak pointing for ridley to be in the game.What are your guys odds for ridley in the game. i say 80%.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
So ten days left and most the odds for rildley are up.Now with the ninka leak and the other leak pointing for ridley to be in the game.What are your guys odds for ridley in the game. i say 80%.
85%. As of now, I'm pretty sure he's in. I still have some doubts, but there's too many things supporting him.

El_Duderino

Smash Apprentice
I'm hoping he'll have a cool Final Smash, if he's playable. I'm not too fond of the Space Pirate horde idea. It doesn't seem all that fitting for Ridley.
He could go the transformation route and turn into Meta or Omega Ridley, or he could have a super breath attack along the lines of Samus' or Lucario's old FS, or heck, he could summon Kraid. For some reason I'd expect him to go with the transform though, as a sort of meta-nod to the whole size fiasco.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
You know what would be awesome? A Ridley/Bayonetta smash trailer for the Bayonetta 2 direct.

Yeah I know it would never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
Can anybody send me a download for the Brawl Ridley and meta ridley models as well as kraid model from melee? I've got some evil scheming to do.:yeahboi:

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
Ridley's Final Smash could be grabbing someone, flying off, and then sliding them against a wall as he flies (there would be an environment change similar to Captain Falcon's FS). That was one of the best parts in Subspace, and they even did it again in Other M.

Last edited:

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
Ridley's Final Smash could be grabbing someone, flying off, and then sliding them against a wall as he flies (there would be an environment change similar to Captain Falcon's FS). That was one of the best parts in Subspace, and they even did it again in Other M.
As long as it's a cutscene type Final Smash

Ganon, Toony and Dark Pit all have great potential to be unique, and look at them
We don't know Dark Pit's moveset, Ganon's is believed to be due to him being Sakurai's main, and Toon Link actually has differences and takes from the source material

Last edited:

Captain Soviet

Smash Apprentice
Ganon, Toony and Dark Pit all have great potential to be unique, and look at them
Toon Link is literally another Link, Dark Pit is apparently literally a magic clone of Pit. Ganondorf...well...he at least is similarly proportioned to Daddy Falcon.

Saying that Ridley would be too similar to/a clone of Charizard is like saying we can't have Captain Falcon in the game because he'd be a clone of Mario, the argument ignores every detail except for the shallowest of similarities.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
The only thing holding Ridley back, i think, is unoriginality. He'd be very similiar to Charizard
His body structure is more similar to Donkey Kong than Charizard. He has had tons of boss fights and lots of material to pull potential moves from. If he is in the game, he probably has that fancy flight mechanic, which no other fighter has.

Ganondorf was put in the game in the first place because making clones was that much faster, and Sakurai wanted to fill out the roster a bit more. Why he still has the moveset is anyone's guess, but people like his playstyle so I guess that's why? Toon Link idk, but he is basically a smaller Link so I'd expect him to fight like a smaller Link anyway. It's too early to say anything about Dark Pit, as literally jack is known about his moveset.

Vaughngief

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3265-5520-0241
I really hope this is the proper place to mention this. I've seen about every leak since Smash 4 was announced and I noticed something between to specific leaks and the Smash Direct.

The two leaks I wanna mention are the "Foul Mouth Leak" (sorry, couldn't find original source of leak) and the "Pax Event Guy Leak" from just a little bit ago. I understand both leaks are in question, especially the Pax Guy leak, but I wanted to point out something really quick. Both mention Ridley and the fact he has some sort of unique flying mechanic. On top of that we know Ridley will be in the game, playable or not, based on the tease we saw back in April. When looking at Ridley's movements though it's obvious he's flying, but has a sudden pause and then continues to the left. Some can assume he's just a stage hazard and others will argue it's a controlled character. I bring this up though, because if the two leaks are true in the suggestion that Ridley has an exclusive flying mechanic, it might explain Ridley's movements in the Direct. Every character in Smash that had some sort of flying/gliding mechanic always had a stiff animation, but Ridley's were pretty fluid, which they would have to be if the character's movement revolved around such a mechanic.

It's just a theory of mine. I've just been lurking around here for so long I figured I'd throw my two cents in. Regardless though, we'll see the final roster within two weeks.

P.S. - Sorry if anything similar to this was posted in the past.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Being that Dr. Mario is in, it makes me think Mewtwo is in there as a late unlockable as well, he was the gem of melee which was absent in brawl and with DR MARIO being pulled back in i doubt they'd leave a unique fighter like mewtwo back in the past. So with that being said I think there's more secret characters left, one might as well be Ridley.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Being that Dr. Mario is in, it makes me think Mewtwo is in there as a late unlockable as well, he was the gem of melee which was absent in brawl and with DR MARIO being pulled back in i doubt they'd leave a unique fighter like mewtwo back in the past. So with that being said I think there's more secret characters left, one might as well be Ridley.
Oh god I hope you're right. I want Mew2 and Ridley in like no other

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
If Ridley makes it in, which version should he get? I personally want him as Prime Ridley
Super Metroid Ridley, but we will likely get a mixture of the Super Metroid and Other M versions of Ridley.

Top Bottom