• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Interesting thoughts. I can definitely see it's possible he was planned to be playable and those rumors were not baseless.

Well, as we know with Sakurai, when he fails to put a playable character in they're pretty much 100% confirmed for the next Smash Bros!
And the fact that Ridley is more like a character compared to Little Mac in Brawl, it just shows Ridley can work and could be made playable. All of you can believe what you want, there's no reason Ridley should behave like a playable character if he was intended to be a Stage Hazard all this time. I will still hope, you can call me what ever you like, I will not falter.

Last edited:

Skyline1992

Smash Apprentice
Not worth waiting for more than a year just to see Ridley. Not worth at all. Not even in the slightest.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
I have wanted Ridley for 15 years. I have a damn right to be pessimistic.

A lot of us here are going to be in our 30's or late 20's by the time Smash 5 rolls around.
5th time's the charm...?

Hey, look on the bright side. The way Ridley plays so closely to a character seems to create this half-full, half-empty metaphor. It could either be Sakurai really was putting effort at first before reaching a road block, or that Sakurai thought he'd save it by striking a special balance; something that would satisfy both sides.

Again, its all on how you see the glass.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, unfortunately, it had to happen...

I'm fine with this (and honestly, quite hyped but I would have been for both outcomes anyway), but I will still understand the bit of salt some may have. I still think that imo, the tease was a bit too overhyped for what was done. It was teasing, but too much was done honestly.

I just want to say that I spent a great time here, but now, you understand in the circumstances that I shouldn't spent so much time on him now and spend more time with the one I truly support more than anything, Paper Mario (just got my OP keys back now).

So, I hope I lended a useful contribution while this thread lived dark times, because I'm still happy I did that essay.

So, enjoy this thread or what remains...

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Liking all these posters that realize this is the end, of course you could have saved yourselves some pain back in April when he was confirmed as a stage boss too...but different strokes for different folks! Just don't be mad at Sakurai, he put it right on the table for you.

Congrats on Ridley getting in guys!!! Really happy for you!

Last edited:

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Interesting thoughts. I can definitely see it's possible he was planned to be playable and those rumors were not baseless.

Well, as we know with Sakurai, when he fails to put a playable character in they're pretty much 100% confirmed for the next Smash Bros!
To add on to it: Ridley's shadow in the first Smash Direct is a bit smaller than what it is now. It's psosibly the Bossley from the original direct was originally playable but because of problems on the 3DS version, Sakurai wasn't sure if he was gonna be playable or a boss so he took the safe road and made a tease that could go either way.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
I... I'm not sure why are we even bothering keeping this thread open.

I mean no disrespect to the Ridley supporters, and I remember doing some possible disrespectful posts back then. I apologize for that. It just bothered me how your uproar reached websites such as Kotaku, it was crazy but in an annoying way to me.

But keeping this thread open for discussion? I don't think it's a good idea, it can bring troll posts, and cause pointless drama. Ridley has been confirmed as a boss, and that's that.

If this keeps open, soon enough something will explode, and it won't be pretty.

However, I am calling you guys out: hating on the developer because he didn't pick your character is not going to change anything. Specially saying the game "sucks" because of that single exclusion. Have you seen the loads of content it's in this game? Heck, I don't even care my favorite character isn't part of the roster anymore, the amounts of content in the game is insane!

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I don't see why his scale would keep him from being on 3DS. Its how the character moves and interacts. Ridley's model is a bit more complex than other characters, and that's the main thing most people keep bringing up. Its the way he moves and attacks that makes him a bit more complex to get working.
Possible but I doubt it. I don't think it's much more complex than anyone else, at least to the point where he would need to be cut and not reworked into something completely different.

And still, I don't see much evidence that he was ever playable. Just because he has some properties similar to a playable character doesn't mean he was ever planned. He has plenty of boss-specific moves too, such as his entrance attack, his infinite flight and the move where he stabs through the platform (which wouldn't work on all stages). Also the text referring to him among the Smash run enemies along with Metal Face, to me, suggests that there's more evidence pointing to him once being a boss on the 3DS version (although I doubt that too).

I'll wait for official confirmation but I think ya'll are jumping the gun on this. Ridley was most likely going to be a boss when they teased him as a boss.

For what it's worth we've seen like, 3 attacks. The claws, his entrance attack, and the tail stab. That's not a lot right now.

He doesn't even seem to have a new model.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero

I mean no disrespect to the Ridley supporters, and I remember doing some possible disrespectful posts back then. I apologize for that. It just bothered me how your uproar reached websites such as Kotaku, it was crazy but in an annoying way to me.

But keeping this thread open for discussion? I don't think it's a good idea, it can bring troll posts, and cause pointless drama. Ridley has been confirmed as a boss, and that's that.

Because this thread, much like Ridley, always comes back from the dead, no matter how many times you kill it.

And I kinda like Ridley's role. (as a boss) I assumed he would just be generic, like Yellow Devil, but he acts kind like the Flying Men, too. I hope he's playable in future games...

He acts a lot like a fighter in his boss role, so it makes me wonder if this was some sort of test to see how Ridley would work out if he was playable...

:C...
So the thread reopened until it goes boom or...?
W-where did you get that?
Was there a new batch of WiiU pics released after the direct?

Last edited:

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
He would more than likely have the most polygons of all the characters also. If they were trying to keep the game running at a steady pace of 60 frames while in 3d, too many polygons can affect the system (I'm talking to you Pokemon X and Y!). I towuld be similar to why the ice climbers were cut.
That is just my thoughts. Smash uses Polygons, right? lol

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think much of this thread is probably going to be continued grasping at straws and conspiracy theories about how Sakurai was making a playable Ridley and just went "welp rather make Dark Pit" and turned him into a boss.

I am more interested in Bagan's efforts. Unfortunately, he now had to start over from scratch due to hitting the file limit with his current Ridley mod (which looked excellent).

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

However, I am calling you guys out: hating on the developer because he didn't pick your character is not going to change anything. Specially saying the game "sucks" because of that single exclusion. Have you seen the loads of content it's in this game? Heck, I don't even care my favorite character isn't part of the roster anymore, the amounts of content in the game is insane!
Well tell that to the Mods. Their trying to give us are last say on the matter, so if you're here for other reasons than what the supports are here, the I suggest you leave.

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ GIVE ME RIDLEY OR GIVE ME DEATH ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Azew

Smash Lord
DLC characters started development a long time ago you can pretty much guarantee it, considering characters take roughly a year to fully make according to Sakurai. Mewtwo and the rest are probably finished for the most part. It's blatant video game PR bull that almost makes it appear like Mewtwo has only just started in the earliest stages of his development. Spring starts in March here in the US and thats about the earliest Mewtwo and the rest could be released according to the date given.
While I agree with you on the most part, I feel like Mewtwo probably took a bit less time to create than any of the newcomers.(which sakurai may be refering to) Most of his data was hidden in deep in Brawl. Even without that, the team probably has a lot more free rescources now than they did earlier in the development process, as most of what's left seems to be touching up on completed projects an fixing glitches and bugs.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
If every character took a year to complete, the game would've taken 50 years to complete.

No, that's BS. You're not looking at this correctly. The reason why a character would take a year to complete is because they're working on NUMEROUS things all at the exact same time. If they just focus on a small expansion pack, not developing numerous things at once, the characters would be developed much quicker.
In a recent Famitsu interview Sakurai said a single character takes roughly a year to fully implement. Model, animations, voice and everything that goes with it. I get what you are trying to say but you know as well as I do that Mewtwo is not the only one and we will still be getting more stages and modes after the games are released. A year judging by Sakurai's words is pretty good estimate considering it's not just characters that will be released post release. You are almost speaking as if all resources would have been devoted to Mewtwo once the 3DS game went gold.

Now just seeing Mewtwo's model there, with the announcer saying "it takes a long time to make characters" appeases everyone who gets pissed over DLC. I bet Mewtwo and every other DLC character is more than 90% done. There is no way they only just started on Mewtwo after the 3DS version went gold. Casting for voices, bug testers, music composers and all that other extra that goes along with it takes some time.

Last edited:

Meandpikachu

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
Hey guys! There is some very OLD roster from early 2014 that has Ridley in it! I am the biggest fans of Ridley!

My Ideas!
Official Roster Roster2.png

Look at this AWESOME ROSTER That has 60 characters!
fanmade roster .png

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Well tell that to the Mods. Their trying to give us are last say on the matter, so if you're here for other reasons than what the supports are here, the I suggest you leave.
You know, this kind of tense stuff that is happening after Ridley's role reveal, makes me do not want to post more drawings here...so, maybe I won't.

Skyline1992

Smash Apprentice
I don't think we can make a full judgement on Sakurai until we find out what exactly went down with Ridley. It's possible there were other factors that contributed to his exclusion. Maybe when Sakurai pitched the idea to his staff/development team, they didn't think it was possible because they have faulty beliefs. If you can't convince everyone on your team that he can be made playable, then the chances of Ridley ever being playable in a Nintendo- made Smash Bros game is impossible because there's always going to be a least one person that doesn't agree with Ridley's playability.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Possible but I doubt it. I don't think it's much more complex than anyone else, at least to the point where he would need to be cut and not reworked into something completely different.

And still, I don't see much evidence that he was ever playable. Just because he has some properties similar to a playable character doesn't mean he was ever planned. He has plenty of boss-specific moves too, such as his entrance attack, his infinite flight and the move where he stabs through the platform (which wouldn't work on all stages). Also the text referring to him among the Smash run enemies along with Metal Face, to me, suggests that there's more evidence pointing to him once being a boss on the 3DS version (although I doubt that too).

I'll wait for official confirmation but I think ya'll are jumping the gun on this. Ridley was most likely going to be a boss when they teased him as a boss.

For what it's worth we've seen like, 3 attacks. The claws, his entrance attack, and the tail stab. That's not a lot right now.

I can understand your thoughts. It's about the view point, but there really is nothing to prove either or. Yes he's a stage boss. I don't care, I figured it would happen anyway. But this will not kill my support for him and for the other supports. I don't care who does it, how it happens, whatever. Ridley is the only boss to be "Playable" and that means something, at least to me. You and everyone here can think whatever, I will not quit. I will not stop. No one will kill my support for the Ridley supporters and a "fully" playable Ridley.

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys. Nice to see some familiar faces around here again. I hope you've all been well. Just wanted to say, it's been a great Smash run, and I think the end result is pretty wonderful. Ridley looks awesome, and I'll still hope for a Super Metroidley DLC even if it's impractical.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I can understand your thoughts. It's about the view point, but there really is nothing to prove either or. Yes he's a stage boss. I don't care, I figured it would happen anyway. But this will not kill my support for him and for the other supports. I don't care who does it, how it happens, whatever. Ridley is the only boss to be "Playable" and that means something, at least to me. You and everyone here can think whatever, I will not quit. I will not stop. No one will kill my support for the Ridley supporters and a "fully" playable Ridley.
My intention is not to kill anyone's enthusiasm. Just saying- we're jumping the gun in thinking that Ridley was playable at a point.

When the facts change, my opinion will change to reflect them.

Azew

Smash Lord
With all due respect, I feel like after DLC was confirmed as fact, instead of just an idea, the mods may have decided that speculation for his inclusion has something to back it up, even if he's a boss. Besides, being part of a stage didn't stop toon link, did it?

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
You know, this kind of tense stuff that is happening after Ridley's role reveal, makes me do not want to post more drawings here...so, maybe I won't.
I know, I'm sorry. I am to some degree am feeling down about this. I'm not totally pissed off, since I knew it could happen, but something's will still get to me. I'm sorry if I upset you.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
With all due respect, I feel like after DLC was confirmed as fact, instead of just an idea, the mods may have decided that speculation for his inclusion has something to back it up, even if he's a boss. Besides, being part of a stage didn't stop toon link, did it?
----That's... a very valid point. But if that's the case, then this thread may have to endure a lot of teasing, mocking and trolling.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I find it interesting that Ridley has a character stock icon in the results screen. It's not even of his Other M self but the Ridley based off of Brawl.

During the boss fight that picture was more of a photo or a portrait rather than a stock icon. Did that stock icon ever appear in Brawl at all? Maybe in online matches we could use that Ridley head? Though I don't remember it being exactly like it is portrayed here.

I wonder why Sakurai didn't go with the Other M look? If Ridley comes as DLC and that's our hint I will be eternally grateful.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
----That's... a very valid point. But if that's the case, then this thread may have to endure a lot of teasing, mocking and trolling.
I dunno. The fact it hasn't already happened must be a good sign it won't be common this time, around.

Chrollo.

fka president wario

His boss type moves could've been added later on but for the most part, he looks like a playable character (He actually isn't "big" as a lot of people say he is. He's barely taller then Zamus and seems to be as wide as Bowser, maybe a bit wider. If you size him down a bit more, he would look perfect. Other than that, the only big thing about him is his wing span because Other M Ridley has a ****ing huge wing span), acts like one (Meta Ridley is basically his final smash, hell, he even turns into Meta Ridley in a Smash Ball type way.), and if you look at the shadow comparison from the original direct to this direct, you'll see that he was definitely a bit smaller which points in the direction that around the time of that direct, he was possibly playable but Sakurai was unsure of his role at that point because he was having problems on the 3DS version. I'm not saying he was 100% a playable character at one point but it's damn well possible he was.

Azew

Smash Lord
I find it interesting that Ridley has a character stock icon in the results screen. It's not even of his Other M self but the Ridley based off of Brawl.

During the boss fight that picture was more of a photo or a portrait rather than a stock icon. Did that stock icon ever appear in Brawl at all? Maybe in online matches we could use that Ridley head? Though I don't remember it being exactly like it is portrayed here.

I wonder why Sakurai didn't go with the Other M look? If Ridley comes as DLC and that's our hint I will be eternally grateful.
If i'm not mistaken, I think @ SuperSegaSonicSS SuperSegaSonicSS pointed out earlier (maybe not on this thread) that the Ridley icon doesn't exactly resemble Brawl's Ridley. Specifically on the tip of its beak.

Last edited:

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
My biggest concern is that Ridley is the kind of hazard everyone hates. Actually, that's my second biggest concern. My first came true when all the exemplary individuals started throwing parties over Ridley being struck down "for good." "Maybe those pro-Ridley fans will finally shut up." (Fat chance, compadre.) (Man, Shokio is going to shift back into anti-Ridley mode so fast.)

From what I've seen, the reaction to the Yellow Devil and the Flying Men in practice is overall negative. They break up the flow of the fight, they're an unfair advantage/not enough of an advantage to be worth it, and they encourage camping and other irritating tactics. I don't want our good bad captain to undergo the same fate. Especially since he acts like a S Flag to boot.

At any rate, it's good to be back. Even if we have to wait until Smash 5/6/whatever, we will have our space dragon playable!

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
That's true, too. Time will tell, I guess.
The mods have made it clear that any trolling/hating done here(and anyone fanning the flames) will get infracted and most likely banned. So I think we can stay cool here for a little bit.

And I'd like to apologize for the way I talked to you. It's still a bit disheartening about the whole ordeal but I don't want to cause hate. So again, I'm sorry for how I responded to you.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
IsmaR has already posted and said that if anyone DOES do it they WILL be warned.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
If i'm not mistaken, I think @ SuperSegaSonicSS SuperSegaSonicSS pointed out earlier (maybe not on this thread) that the Ridley icon doesn't exactly resemble Brawl's Ridley. Specificly on the tip of its beak.
Hmmm... really?! I've got to inspect it further.

He/she didn't make comparison picks did he/she?

Captain Fun

Smash Lord

Well the most straightforward answer is that he has a stock icon because he is worth one point if KO'd and there needs to be an icon for that in the statistics breakdown.

Now why the Brawl Ridley icon? To be honest, it's probably just them being lazy, or some kind of placeholder. I remember in a previous trailer, Diddy used his Brawl render.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I know, I'm sorry. I am to some degree am feeling down about this. I'm not totally pissed off, since I knew it could happen, but something's will still get to me. I'm sorry if I upset you.
It isn't that you are making me upset, it is just a bad feeling. As for me, I still have hope, and you know, probably I have got more ideas for my Ridley and Roidley stuff and the other stuff I made, ^u^

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Warning Received
After seeing the drama and over reacting here.. I have to say that this so sad.. in more ways then one and I'm sorry... Lke... you are treating this like it is the end, like Ridley is a god.. and I'm sorry... just..wow

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Well the most straightforward answer is that he has a stock icon because he is worth one point if KO'd and there needs to be an icon for that in the statistics breakdown.

Now why the Brawl Ridley icon? To be honest, it's probably just them being lazy, or some kind of placeholder. I remember in a previous trailer, Diddy used his Brawl render.
Yeah you're right both could be absolutely true. I only ask because I find it weird that the same thing doesn't happen with the Yellow Devil now or the Flying Man you know?

Also I figured like when we first saw Diddy in action they just used his imported character icon instead of the new one.

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
I really feel for Ridley fans, I'm not a fan of these new stage bosses/boss assists. :/

I know people will disagree but I don't think this means he's done until the next game. There's no reason they can't make him DLC using his other model. We have Mario and Dr Mario, as well as Adult Link/Toon Link/Spirit Tracks Toon Link, coexisting in the game. So anyone who says Other M Ridley and original Ridley can't do the same is just making excuses. I could see the boss just not appearing on the stage when he's in play, if Sakurai indeed decides he's worth the trouble. Sure it doesn't seem likely but it's possible.

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
Well I'm sort of upset. What made it worse was that I was watching the direct with a couple of Ridley detractors. I do appreciate the touchups to his model though, like the cleaned up textures, wing spikes, and color based on the concept art.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
I'm Ridley unsure if the revival of the old thread is a good idea or not, aside from the trolls that will come despite the warnings, the All-Stars Ridley thread is where I actually talked with people, I had conversations and had fun there, here is I just feel a bit like a speck of sand on a beach. Just one of the thousands.....

Top Bottom