• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ROB Matchup Thread

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Silhouette. You got me with the Offstage part. You're right about not being distracted by trying to spike him. I let snake onstage too much when I try to spike him. Fairs are your best tools against snake offstage.

Sudai

Stuff here
FAirs are awesome, but you eventually have to use BAirs. I actually tend to just use BAirs unless I know my FAir isn't stale. Staled FAir doesn't knock him out of cypher. :[

Silhouette

Smash Lord
FAirs are awesome, but you eventually have to use BAirs. I actually tend to just use BAirs unless I know my FAir isn't stale. Staled FAir doesn't knock him out of cypher. :[
Yeah I usually push to hit him with about three until I try to bait an airdodge to Nair or Bair his cypher.

Teh Future

Smash Master
nair has a bigger hitbox when you are edgeguarding from behind.

And ICs do wreck ROB, that wasn't trolling :D

Also Sudai why are you still here you dont even play this game

TheMike

Smash Lord
ROB's camp game is really good. The laser can explode some granades close to Snake, and the Gyro can stop their way(Ftilt and Bair can also do so). When the characters are in close range, ROB needs to watch Snake's tilts, that are better than his, and try to juggle the opponent. Going off stage is one of ROB's best ploys, because he can rack up some good damage, and sometimes, ROB can even kill Snake if he Dairs correctly.

Battlefield is Snake's best neutral. He can have a great stage control, and the platforms help him to get Utilts when it's time to kill. For counterpicks, I would say Halberd is his best option. I like this stage as a ROB player, but Snake can kill easier than usual, and ROB can't shark well because he will get hit by some granades. Besides, it's difficult for you to see where are the c4, mines and some granades, too.

Final Destination is ROB's best neutral because there is enough space to camp, and it's also easier for him to juggle Snake. Castle Siege for counterpick. ROB ***** on the second transformation. He can camp really well on the third, and space his Ftilt greatly on the first.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Yo TheMike I would not recommend Castle Seige vs. Snake, the second transformation only helps our camp game (which at this point he will be avoiding since hed lose, and Pshielding to get close to ROB isnt difficult) and our ability to fly away which can be stopped by cooked nades, there is also a chance that he will catch you with an Ftilt/Bair/Jab close to the blast zones and get a low % KO. There is also a severe lack of offstage which is one of our greatest advantages on snake.

The first transformation is way too small for ROB v Snake, its very difficult to space him there and he can zone the S*** outa you with the C4/slanted ground/platform, in this case planking may be a good idea. Though if you do get him offstage here its pretty well set up for you to juggle/ledge guard him.

The third transformation hurts his nade camping but has closee side blast zones, so lower % KOs, I actually think this might be the best transformation for ROB, very similar to FD.

Snake just really wrecks Rob up close. Maybe we just block and retreat when he's in our face?
always a good plan, retreating Fairs are your friend, if you can bait an Ftilt - laser, if you can bait a nade - grab him and Fthrow/Bthrow.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
I still say Japes v. Snake. Takes care of Utilt problems and it forces him to approach in the air. Plus Nair isn't a kill move so you can abuse it all you want.

Trillest

Smash Ace
I'd say rc :p tbh i usually dont have japes as an option for cp'n snake so rc gets banned and i usually go with frigate just because im extremely comfortable on that stage

Nova9000

Smash Lord
Snake is also good on that stage, but I know what you mean. But the problem with RC is during the stage while on the platforms, he can easily Utilt and uair for early KOs. And it forces you to continually run, which Snake can take advantage of. Only the cruise itself is suitable IMO against Snake.

Spin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
spinpai
yeah, i take Snake to Frigate, the first transformation messes him up because his recovery is awful. just keep him on the right side. then when he needs to recover fair/bair him off his cypher until hes so far away he can't get back. beat a snake last weekend like that. and as Mike said, occasional dairs work.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
yeah, i take Snake to Frigate, the first transformation messes him up because his recovery is awful. just keep him on the right side. then when he needs to recover fair/bair him off his cypher until hes so far away he can't get back. beat a snake last weekend like that. and as Mike said, occasional dairs work.
I would never say that Snake has a bad recovery. I would say that characters safe off the stage like R.O.B. can give Snake a harder time when trying to recover. But the man can recover. I personally prefer neutrals [stages] against Snake because that's my comfort zone. And I believe that's what it boils down to in this MU. Is where your comfort zone is, and make sure he doesn't **** moreso than usual on it.

TheMike

Smash Lord
I hate Japes. Snake's stocks last too long. And Sil, I like Siege's second tranformation because of our amazing camping possibilities, and also because of its low ceiling. The first tranformation is small, but it's not that hard against Snake. Its platforms are can be used as good ploys for ROB to get some aerials and U-x moves. Besides, the irregular ground also helps our camping game. However, I see your point. =P

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Snake's recovery is predictable but he usually rises too quickly to catch him out of it anyway. You can get him into trouble if you get him low off-stage, like with most weak hits or a grab release near the ledge, but it's not like "oh he's dead next stock."

**** Japes go Frigate, Snake can't handle ROB camping the moving platforms on the flip side of the stage. And Japes blows what a dumb stage. :( And it's also banned in the MLG ruleset currently, whereas Frigate is not.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
Whats so bad about Japes? I'm more comfortable on Frigate than any other stage, but I would still like to know. I take Snake and sometimes TL there.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Frigate = Favorite. Sky World = Favorite Favorite. I got it banned from a few areas. ^^
Back when I was a young whipper-snapper, Sky World was my domain. I got so many games from people I didn't deserve wins against lol.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
lol i play against 2 of the top snakes in the country (fatal and bizkit) every tournament and there is no ****ing way in hell that rob is 50 - 50 with snake. the only way it has potential to be even is if there is no ledge grab rule (which every tournament has now) and you plank all game.

you can dominate by camping all match but once snakes gets one grab, its over. due to robs tech roll being so slow, a good snake doesnt even have to predict your roll he can just react off a d throw to re-grab you.

rob wont kill a good snake anyway until like 170 (unless you get a lucky gimp) while snake kills rob at like 110 - 120 with a fresh up tilt.

the one good thing about the matchup is snakes who arnt comfortable with the matchup will nade camp, and that leads to insane damage racking if you lazer his nade then follow up when he comes back down. also our f tilt outranges their f tilt i believe.

50 50 (if planking is allowed), 55 - 45 snake (maybe even 60 - 40) (without planking)

ill be honest, i like going against mks with rob more than going against snakes. (sorry for bad grammar or spelling in this, i typed it extremely fast because i have to go somewhere)

Top Bottom