• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The Rosalina Gameplay Videos Thread

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
@ Zonderion Zonderion What about Pit?
I personally am not a fan of pit, but there are some good players that can use him.
@ Zonderion Zonderion the characters I have the most trouble with are: Characters that are faster but have good projectiles, except ness (Sheik, Diddy, Fox, Pika, Sometimes Mario, Sometimes Luigi, Duck **** Duo, Yoshi and Zero Suit Samus) I also have trouble sometimes with Heavy characters as I get impatient, because they never seem to die or I get scared of them because of the idea that if I slip up once I could get killed at stupidly early percents.
The fast characters takes time. You really have to be patient with them. I struggle a lot with Little Mac. Not the stupid For Glory ones, but the ones who actually know how to play him. For the projectiles, you must make sure to use a combination of shield, GPull, and attacks to nullify their projectile. For example, Luma's jab can nullify Luigi's fireball (thanks @ falln falln for that tidbit!). This provides a much better response than trying to either shield or GPull it.

Fast characters you really have to work on zoning them out. By their very nature, they are zone breakers (looking at you CFalcon). They succeed in getting in your face where other characters don't and that's exactly where you do NOT want them. Work on retreating options, like dashing away and pivot grabbing, or pivot tilting.

The heavier characters do take a lot of damage to kill, but that's where setting up kill combos is much easier, typically due to their large body size. Bowser can be killed at 95% using the Shanoa combo. You already mentioned your flaw, and that's becoming impatient. Rosalina typically dominates by being able to control the match. Characters like Bowser, DK, King DDD, allow you to control the match, but in order to do so, you can't get scared and you can't become impatient. You need to just take a deep breath, collect yourself, and then pwn.

The YouTube version was uploaded. Again thank you in advance for taking the time to help me out

https://youtu.be/N8LO0UeFZ0U
At the beginning you attempted to up-throw villager and then trap him in a jab, this really only works with heavies or fast fallers. The lighter/smaller characters will only get you in trouble. You did a good job in changing this later on.

You did well against Diddy. Whether you meant to or not, you conditioned Diddy to air dodge / roll when he expected an up air. This caused you to miss at mid percents, but when he was at kill percents he expected an up air, so he air dodged, you waited just the right amount of time, and it secured you that stock. Continue working on baiting those air dodges, and punishing them. In the last match, started slacking on your timing, and I believe it did cost you the set.

At the 7:25 mark in the Diddy video, a double jab to up smash would have killed him (all though good DI may help them). Be sure to look for these types of situational kill combos.

The one thing you should probably change, is the way you edge guard. There's no shame in sending Luma out to try and edge guard, but you would be much more successful if you went out with Luma. Luma does not have the air mobility that Rosalina does, and you can set up a much better wall with both of them, than just one of them.

Use star bits to interrupt your opponent. Sometimes it is not about damage, or combo potential, but about getting in their heads and stopping their attacks or follow ups. Speaking of which, I do not believe I saw you try and challenge Diddy's up air with Luma's down air. You were more focused on air dodging, which isn't bad, but mixing it up and striking with Luma as he attempts to follow you, will make it harder for him to predict what you are going to do. If he is trying to bait the air dodge, then he is not attacking, which allows you to down air him instead of air dodging.

You've got a pretty well rounded Rosalina, and I think the your only improvements are going to come from watching others play (such as dabuz or AceStar) and incorporating mind games and mix ups.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
Guys, this was a tournament set of mine last week. I ended up 9th out of 80 players but still felt like I could have played loads better. Hopefully you guys can give me some good comments and crits about my set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-lBRj56X6M

Help me help this guy get better, please?
- He's aggresive while playing without Luma, constantly running in with grabs and even though he should play safe at this point.
- Lands into the opponent with a fair while this is fairly dangerous and could be punished easily.
- A random forward smash in the neutral on short range opens up Rosalina a lot and allows an easy punish.
- Constantly approaching with nair, while nair is a good move if you're playing against humans it becomes predictable.
- Constantly changing with dair off stage while he could also try to set up with Luma's ledge at the edge to be safer.
- Down tilt is an amazing move for Rosalina, I didn't see it once in the entire set.

- Playing against computers is very bad to improve, computers never think, they react and they react with insane powershields into punish in what sometimes would be a almost perfectly safe move to do so.
- The playstyle of the player doesn't match with Rosalina, the player plays her very aggresive and approaching while she's not a character like that.

Night_kat33

Smash Rookie
The YouTube version was uploaded. Again thank you in advance for taking the time to help me out

https://youtu.be/N8LO0UeFZ0U
At the beginning you attempted to up-throw villager and then trap him in a jab, this really only works with heavies or fast fallers. The lighter/smaller characters will only get you in trouble. You did a good job in changing this later on.

You did well against Diddy. Whether you meant to or not, you conditioned Diddy to air dodge / roll when he expected an up air. This caused you to miss at mid percents, but when he was at kill percents he expected an up air, so he air dodged, you waited just the right amount of time, and it secured you that stock. Continue working on baiting those air dodges, and punishing them. In the last match, started slacking on your timing, and I believe it did cost you the set.

At the 7:25 mark in the Diddy video, a double jab to up smash would have killed him (all though good DI may help them). Be sure to look for these types of situational kill combos.

The one thing you should probably change, is the way you edge guard. There's no shame in sending Luma out to try and edge guard, but you would be much more successful if you went out with Luma. Luma does not have the air mobility that Rosalina does, and you can set up a much better wall with both of them, than just one of them.

Use star bits to interrupt your opponent. Sometimes it is not about damage, or combo potential, but about getting in their heads and stopping their attacks or follow ups. Speaking of which, I do not believe I saw you try and challenge Diddy's up air with Luma's down air. You were more focused on air dodging, which isn't bad, but mixing it up and striking with Luma as he attempts to follow you, will make it harder for him to predict what you are going to do. If he is trying to bait the air dodge, then he is not attacking, which allows you to down air him instead of air dodging.

You've got a pretty well rounded Rosalina, and I think the your only improvements are going to come from watching others play (such as dabuz or AceStar) and incorporating mind games and mix ups.
This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. Thank you :)

Now that you mention it I did kinda notice that I was conditioning him with my up-air, I just didn't really know at the time that I was doing it.

For some reason as the matches go on my timing gets more lax. I notice myself taking games off people I have no business taking games off of.... but then for some reason I just kinda sputter out. Situational awareness is definitely a weakness of mine, I notice if I fall a bit behind I will revert to just sticking to what I know and not adapting very well, but that's something I need to work on as a player in general.

I have started watching videos and am working on improving. (In fact in a game in FG yesterday I managed to pull off the Shanoa combo sucessfully for the first time in a real game) I will try to post a video or 2 more in a bit just to see what else you guys have for me. I have one where I was very proud and ended up killing a ROB off the top at 53% after the hit :)

Again thank you.

EDIT: Also I am very sorry for my formatting of my quote response, even though apparently I have been a member here for 10 years, I was never really a poster, more of a lurker.

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. Thank you :)

Now that you mention it I did kinda notice that I was conditioning him with my up-air, I just didn't really know at the time that I was doing it.

For some reason as the matches go on my timing gets more lax. I notice myself taking games off people I have no business taking games off of.... but then for some reason I just kinda sputter out. Situational awareness is definitely a weakness of mine, I notice if I fall a bit behind I will revert to just sticking to what I know and not adapting very well, but that's something I need to work on as a player in general.

I have started watching videos and am working on improving. (In fact in a game in FG yesterday I managed to pull off the Shanoa combo sucessfully for the first time in a real game) I will try to post a video or 2 more in a bit just to see what else you guys have for me. I have one where I was very proud and ended up killing a ROB off the top at 53% after the hit :)

Again thank you.

EDIT: Also I am very sorry for my formatting of my quote response, even though apparently I have been a member here for 10 years, I was never really a poster, more of a lurker.
I'm glad I was able to help. I tend to do the same thing towards the end of my matches. I'm not sure if my focus changes or I just quit paying attention, but my game will get off and I won't continue to adapt. I would love to see the video of your Shanoa combo if you have it. I always like seeing those in actual play and not just testing.

Also it is beneficial to watch videos of characters you struggle with. I watched a 30 minute video of ZeRo paying as Ganondorf beating people in FG because I lost miserably to a Ganondorf this weekend. It's great to understand the mind set of people when they play as those characters.

Last edited:

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Help me help this guy get better, please?
Ooo, another overly aggressive Rosalina. Let me throw some tips their way assuming they intend to keep their gung-ho playstyle.

- They need to learn to boost grab consistently. Especially with how heavy it was used in this game, missing out on that tiny bit of range and hitbox really hurts. Above all else, learn this tech.

- Be less predictable. Her grab is good, but so is her dash attack, and dash > jab. Sometimes running up and shielding could work as an approach if you expect your opponent to make some sort of preemptive attack to block the grab. Against most opponents, you should avoid approaching with the same option twice in a row. The key to being successfully aggressive is staying unpredictable, and keeping pressure on your opponent. As far as pressure goes, try to avoid running the full length of FD after throwing the opponent offstage...that's just silly. Even if you choose not to pursue offstage, Rosalina and Luma exert quite a bit of pressure when the opponent is at the ledge, don't waste this by resetting to neutral.

- Try to optimize how hard you punish things. During Palutena's second stock, there were several times where you had a guaranteed up smash but chose to grab instead. Even outside of punishes, Rosalina's up smash is insanely good. It's got that lovely head invincibility, and comes out faster than you'd expect from a Smash.

- As Ingoro said, her tilts are amazing. D-tilt leads into a dash attack, or a boost grab if they miss a tech ( or your read it ), so the reward for landing it is pretty high at low percents. Her f-tilt is okay, not particularly amazing, but useful as a spacing tool with pivot tilts. Low percent neutral game should involve quite a bit of dtilt, ftilt, jabs, and grabs.

- While I can't advise going offstage to gimp Palutena, using down air first isn't really advised unless you're aiming to hit their ledge snap vulnerability. Against most characters, starting a nair and fast falling into them is much harder to avoid and will either kill them outright, or limit their options for return severely. Once you've limited their options, then you hover in for the down air.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Macchiato:4zelda::4wiifitm::rosalina: vs Lancelot:4luigi:
http://youtu.be/guy1Vtzbw_U

Yes I know I did many things wrong, I was tired and this match was after midnight so I was really tired. I still would've lost but the games would've been close probably. This was months ago too.

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Macchiato:4zelda::4wiifitm::rosalina: vs Lancelot:4luigi:
http://youtu.be/guy1Vtzbw_U

Yes I know I did many things wrong, I was tired and this match was after midnight so I was really tired. I still would've lost but the games would've been close probably. This was months ago too.
Thanks for posting this. Given the circumstance, I thought you played well with Rosalina. Had Luigi not misfired, you might have taken that game.

Quick question, I notice towards the end, Luigi's down special missed the last hit. Is it possible to DI down to avoid that?

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Played a luigi in tournament 2 days ago, i once did get out of that by holding something close to down to get out of it.

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
This is what I think Rosa's could possibly consider when playing against luigi and I just played a luigi at a tournament yesterday all I did was use jab to cancel out fireballs and if he came close while I jabbed the fireball, I would either d-tilt, to give myself some space or jab again and possibly get a grab off of it. Then basically just keep him out with n-air, lunar landed n-air or b-air, RAR b-air, star bits, f-tilt and d-tilt. Then if you absolutely feel like you need to approach mix up with n-air, RAR b-air, dash attack, boost grab, maybe short hop star bits or even full hop star bits. As for grabs u-throw is obviously the best since we all know it leads to u-air strings, possibly d-throw for a mix up if they know how to DI u-throw. Just save b-throw or f-throw for killing if you have trouble landing one of her kill moves, or you could bait them into attacking your shield then punish with a u-smash OOS. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
This is what I think Rosa's could possibly consider when playing against luigi and I just played a luigi at a tournament yesterday all I did was use jab to cancel out fireballs and if he came close while I jabbed the fireball, I would either d-tilt, to give myself some space or jab again and possibly get a grab off of it. Then basically just keep him out with n-air, lunar landed n-air or b-air, RAR b-air, star bits, f-tilt and d-tilt. Then if you absolutely feel like you need to approach mix up with n-air, RAR b-air, dash attack, boost grab, maybe short hop star bits or even full hop star bits. As for grabs u-throw is obviously the best since we all know it leads to u-air strings, possibly d-throw for a mix up if they know how to DI u-throw. Just save b-throw or f-throw for killing if you have trouble landing one of her kill moves, or you could bait them into attacking your shield then punish with a u-smash OOS. Correct me if I'm wrong?
Yeah I didn't know anything about the MU back then but now I do

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
A bit of a silly question but i cant seem to find out how you can show a youtube video on
It would be best just to put a link to the video. Too many videos on a page can cause excess loading times.
Fair enough but, it might not stand out even like it did the previous time I tried to get feedback on this gameplay video of mine.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
@ Ingoro Ingoro

I hope you were still looking for feedback. Your post was a bit obscure on the matter.

- Be careful airdodging / down airing into the ground. The brief intangibility wasn't ever necessary here, and you put yourself in a lot of unnecessary lag against a very quick character. As for the down air, the move takes considerable time before any hitbox pops out, and while Luma has a somewhat strong down air, the smaller hitbox on it makes it not ideal for average landings. Consider switching to a lower lag aerial to land with ( nair / bair ), or just land normally and keep your defensive options open.

- In the first game, you almost always rolled out of shield, even when the opponent was a fair distance away. While Rosalina's roll is fairly good, being less predictable will keep you safer. In general, the whole Dash forward > Roll back is a really risky maneuver. If you're going to continue to do it, use it as a conditioning tool. After a cycle or two, dash forward, shield, then either roll in or charge forward with an offensive option.

- I really like how you're using star bits to cover an opponent jumping over the ledge. Cool idea, I'll give it a shot. It seemed to work pretty well.

- Against Sheik in particular, using more jabs in the neutral game seems like it would be a good idea. In the second game in particular, Sheik ran into just about every rapid jab you threw out, whereas several of your down tilts were punished perfectly with forward airs. Even something as simple as throwing out jab 1 > 2 without the rapid jab can be a very effective tool in the neutral game.

- Early in the second game, it seemed you were really fishing for the kill. Know that when you're doing this, a smart player will realize and stick to options that won't get them punished to the point of death ( Such as sitting in shield excessively, knowing Rosa's throws don't kill ). If you're looking for consistency, you're going to need to improve either offstage gimping ( not really easy against a Sheik ), or ledge pressure. If your opponent is going to be nice enough to let you get more grabs than normal, you need to capitalize on the positional advantage they give you and turn it into a stock. Try experimenting with rapid jabs at ledge. While it's really projected if your opponent doesn't immediately get off ledge, it beats just about every option except roll. Play some mind games with it, just don't let opponents return to the ledge for free.

RepusDK

Smash Rookie
Hey i am a rosalina main from Germany,
here a few videos (they are all tournamentmatches) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhJ82noSqUg (VS best EU MARIO) yes i am to greedy :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Ktz_jTwf8 against (VS best EU MARIO ) pools
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrHavuYPvc0 against shiek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHu2V3ykc2A against sodrek, I roll too often... i know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrQOKhSLjQg teammatch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oZ7Uak6_rw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hoq0JMWhlnA teammatches against Mr.R and Cyve !

has anyone Tips?^^

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
@ Ingoro Ingoro

I hope you were still looking for feedback. Your post was a bit obscure on the matter.

- Be careful airdodging / down airing into the ground. The brief intangibility wasn't ever necessary here, and you put yourself in a lot of unnecessary lag against a very quick character. As for the down air, the move takes considerable time before any hitbox pops out, and while Luma has a somewhat strong down air, the smaller hitbox on it makes it not ideal for average landings. Consider switching to a lower lag aerial to land with ( nair / bair ), or just land normally and keep your defensive options open.

- In the first game, you almost always rolled out of shield, even when the opponent was a fair distance away. While Rosalina's roll is fairly good, being less predictable will keep you safer. In general, the whole Dash forward > Roll back is a really risky maneuver. If you're going to continue to do it, use it as a conditioning tool. After a cycle or two, dash forward, shield, then either roll in or charge forward with an offensive option.

- I really like how you're using star bits to cover an opponent jumping over the ledge. Cool idea, I'll give it a shot. It seemed to work pretty well.

- Against Sheik in particular, using more jabs in the neutral game seems like it would be a good idea. In the second game in particular, Sheik ran into just about every rapid jab you threw out, whereas several of your down tilts were punished perfectly with forward airs. Even something as simple as throwing out jab 1 > 2 without the rapid jab can be a very effective tool in the neutral game.

- Early in the second game, it seemed you were really fishing for the kill. Know that when you're doing this, a smart player will realize and stick to options that won't get them punished to the point of death ( Such as sitting in shield excessively, knowing Rosa's throws don't kill ). If you're looking for consistency, you're going to need to improve either offstage gimping ( not really easy against a Sheik ), or ledge pressure. If your opponent is going to be nice enough to let you get more grabs than normal, you need to capitalize on the positional advantage they give you and turn it into a stock. Try experimenting with rapid jabs at ledge. While it's really projected if your opponent doesn't immediately get off ledge, it beats just about every option except roll. Play some mind games with it, just don't let opponents return to the ledge for free.
Yes, I definetly was still looking for feedback. Much appreciated for your detailed analysis of my games. Yeah, the air dodging into ground is an old habit that I need to get rid of. I still do it often when I'm tensed up. I'll try to just land normally or mix it up with lunar nairs and bairs.
I've been thinking of trying out to use dash dances into my game, it seems a better condition tool as my infamous shield and roll back move.
I was really fishing for the kill, the sheik player and I mentioned it after the set that he felt it was a really good opportunity for him to capitilize on. I've seen Dabuz setting up jabs at ledges often, I'm going to give it a shot.
The whole set was kinda wonky on my part because I had large crowd cheering against me (the sheik player comes from a vocal city crew) which really got into my head. So if I use my earplugs the next time and these tips I'll be sure to do better next time. Thanks :)

falln

Smash Ace
Is there a better/separate spot for montages and highlight reels and the like? Just finished this Rosa vid and want to share it with the world!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pk88Cw4P7M

Usual disclaimer that these types of vids are primarily to entertain ALTHOUGH I do think I have some pretty slick movement in here and it feels like I'm lone wolfing desynced Luma in tournament play right now....

Also if you liked the vid I'd really appreciate anyone who gave it a bump on Reddit as well!

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/34yjvp/fallns_rosalina_montage_cool_luma_stuff_included/

EDIT: also I don't want this thumbnail to go to waste!!

( http://oi61.tinypic.com/23vywb9.jpg )

Last edited:

Smasher89

Smash Lord
1.16 in that montage was gold, needs more ftilt and dtilt in the last clip though :D
Btw are you hinting to some techs not revealed? because i know theres atleast one unviversal tech that ive yet to see anyone use, and its an interesting option to apply pressure for Rosa.

falln

Smash Ace
i'm not making anything related to customs public because it's good for exactly 1 tournament then never again.
there's a few things i'd like to wait for the June patch before I make public.
there's 1 or 2 things that was shown to me but not originally my idea so it's not mine to share.

and there's a new tech I hope to get the video out within the next two days.

rosalina is by far the deepest character in this game [in terms of stuff to discover + potential]. is why i picked her :)

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
i'm not making anything related to customs public because it's good for exactly 1 tournament then never again.
there's a few things i'd like to wait for the June patch before I make public.
there's 1 or 2 things that was shown to me but not originally my idea so it's not mine to share.

and there's a new tech I hope to get the video out within the next two days.

rosalina is by far the deepest character in this game [in terms of stuff to discover + potential]. is why i picked her :)
That very was pretty slick it makes want to be more creative with my play. I really hope customs aren't limited to just EVO though.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
nice, sounds loike weve found some different things then, and i like that more players save up the techs for EVO, makes it interesting to watch the endgame :D

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion

falln

Smash Ace
won a tourney up in LA today ~ took out 4 of socal's PR members (only 3 on stream tho). i highly recommend muting if you are going to watch because the commentary is awful

http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios/v/4835249

55:46 me vs concon :luigi:/:sheik:
pretty clean 3-0

1:33:45 me vs richbrown :olimar:
best set to watch for people who like watching desync luma play. drop game 1 by taking some needless risks (very punishing to lose the 1st stock in this mu...) but then outside of missing a couple kill opportunities game 4 the rest of the set was solid.

2:48:35 me vs k9 :sheik:

went to game 5. not really thrilled with how i played through parts of it, and i got some serious cheese going on game 2. game 5 i got a really good solo-rosa edgeguard vs him though and it was beautiful :')

AceStarThe3rd

SmashTuber
NNID
AceStarThe3rd2
won a tourney up in LA today ~ took out 4 of socal's PR members (only 3 on stream tho). i highly recommend muting if you are going to watch because the commentary is awful

pretty clean 3-0

best set to watch for people who like watching desync luma play. drop game 1 by taking some needless risks (very punishing to lose the 1st stock in this mu...) but then outside of missing a couple kill opportunities game 4 the rest of the set was solid.

went to game 5. not really thrilled with how i played through parts of it, and i got some serious cheese going on game 2. game 5 i got a really good solo-rosa edgeguard vs him though and it was beautiful :')
Oh goodness this commentary is simply awful! <3

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro

pretty clean 3-0

Nice! Putting in work Falln, I will watch it later today.
Edit: Overall playing very solid, there's a few things I'd like to say. I don't think it's MU based against Olimar. I think it's you panicking when you're a stock behind. It was obvious you were very comfortable in the luigi MU though and I really like the pressure game you gave him with jabs. One more thing overall is you commit really hard when your opponents go offstage which is often risky but apparently turned out alright against these opponents. One thing I think you can improve a lot in is; your edge guards. when you weren't chasing you often tried different unsafe stuff like short hop dair which pretty much only covers a roll. I would like to see you keep your calm in those situations and try setups with jab 1, 2 into multijab or a downards angled Fsmash. Something else you could is when your opponents fall along the stage you can throw out a side b to disrupt their recovery. The GF, the 2nd game on Delfino, that was such a misplay by K9 but a clean cheese on your part. The last game was really good, both kills were enjoyable to watch :) In short: Great games overall, It's good that there's other players who put good effort in Rosalina besides Dabuz.

Last edited:

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
Last edited:

9Tales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
9Tales_of_Hoenn
This is a Grand Finals set from my modest local tournamnet in Salem, Oregoen (Salem SmashFest) Obviously it's reeeeeally far from being high level Rosalina play cause I'm still pretty meh. But it was still my first time ever winning Grand Finals and I'm proud enough to get over the embarrassment of my bad plays and share it here. Unfortunately the guy working the "stream" misspelled my name but w/e

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9J6CJHKv-U

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Watched it, noticed you got a fthrow at below 20% as SoRo and run up to shield after it, in general fthrow to dashattack is guarantied from 0-23% which makes it a little harder hitting punish.

Top Bottom