• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Rosalina Q&A Thread

SiriusPika

Smash Rookie
So. Rosalina vs. Sonic. How do I deal with sonic's constant Down/Side B's? Grabs fail unless I catch him while turning around (rare). Shielding is an option, but Luma is going to get killed that way. I've also tried timing up/forward smashes both alone and with Luma present, but I get beat out. Punishing it these moves are also a complete pain in the *** because lol2fast. I've heard star bits only works against an uncharged spin dash so that's out (have not confirmed though). Are there any tools in my arsenal that out-prioritize that move? Is there an effective way to punish this move after it's over and before Sonic can spring, roll, run, or whatever to safety?

EDIT: I kind of glossed over Lavani's post because I saw Palutena speak, but I guess I still listed what I tried here.
I have the same question. My friend plays sonic and he just spams the side B's and it seems like I can never punish it. Also, I have a hard time landing against him. He's so fast and just dash attacks me before I can land. What are some good landing options vs. sonic?

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
I have the same question. My friend plays sonic and he just spams the side B's and it seems like I can never punish it. Also, I have a hard time landing against him. He's so fast and just dash attacks me before I can land. What are some good landing options vs. sonic?
Use your jabs a lot, you can start a multijab and just wait him out. For landing, never land in him but try to land as far possible with Lunar Landings, my personal favorite is bair's lunar land.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Got a question, mostly @ Parcheesy Parcheesy since he was talking about it earlier.

Is it worth trying to do autocanceled Luma aerials in an online environment? I'm not sure if it's real or placebo but I get the impression that latency is throwing me off. (Ditto for teching but that's not Rosalina-specific.)

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
You're not alone, it's definitely quite a bit harder to autocancel online compared to practice mode. As for whether you should attempt it or not, it's really up to you. In my opinion, using Luma's attacks low to the ground is perfectly acceptable, even if you miss the timing and put yourself in a bit of landing lag. As long as you're planning for a worst case scenario with your spacing, it's usually enough to work through the For Glory crowd.

Of course if the lag's bad enough, and you find yourself getting punished, just stick with the ground game. ;p

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Even if you don't autocancel it, the landing lag from n-air is trivial if you space it well. In a disadvantaged state when you're trying to land, the real worry is when your opponent opts to dash attack your landings because they're easy to time and they out-prioritize luma n-air. You'll get hit whether you autocancel it or not.

Using it offensively is a little different because most players don't use dash attacks in neutral very often even though it's much better versus rosalina than versus most others.

Last edited:

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Even if you don't autocancel it, the landing lag from n-air is trivial if you space it well. In a disadvantaged state when you're trying to land, the real worry is when your opponent opts to dash attack your landings because they're easy to time and they out-prioritize luma n-air. You'll get hit whether you autocancel it or not.

Using it offensively is a little different because most players don't use dash attacks in neutral very often even though it's much better versus rosalina than versus most others.
Ug... You know who has the most annoying dash attack? Rosalina. I hate the ditto for more reasons than I can reliably count, not least of which is how mindlessly good dash attack is. I'd go further, but it's a rant for another day ( I really hope the MU discussion covers Rosalina, because it is one of my worst matchups ).

FEAR977

Smash Apprentice
How do you guys feel about the Rosalina vs. Sheik match-up? Is Rosalina a viable character for covering the sheik match-up?

StarForce

Smash Ace
Hyrule, Mushroom, Sarasaland, Nohr Kingdoms
I've noticed that when Luma is out or sent away If Rosalina is close to an opponent and calls Luma she will push the opponent away from here. is this her own doing or the game is reserving Luma's space as soon as the command executes which is milifractions of seconds upon executing. Does this have any actual battle purpose or is a nice fun occurence? It does not have ledge hog so if the opponent is on the edge not in their falling animation and it is executed , it will push the opponent off the stage unlike two character were one walking towards the other will bump but neither will push the other offstage.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
I've noticed that when Luma is out or sent away If Rosalina is close to an opponent and calls Luma she will push the opponent away from here. is this her own doing or the game is reserving Luma's space as soon as the command executes which is milifractions of seconds upon executing. Does this have any actual battle purpose or is a nice fun occurence? It does not have ledge hog so if the opponent is on the edge not in their falling animation and it is executed , it will push the opponent off the stage unlike two character were one walking towards the other will bump but neither will push the other offstage.
It is a very weak windbox similar in function to Mario's fludd or palutena' side smash. Personally, I wouldn't recommend using it just for the windbox, but try it for yourself. It might find some place as a micro spacing tool.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Would you say Rosa is strictly a zoning/defensive character? When looking at two of my gameplay videos for critique, somebody told me I was being too aggressive in MUs where I'd benefit more from being passive, and that I should just stay back and zone with Luma for the entire time. Not that I highly doubt him, but I usually like to get a second opinion before taking advice.

Last edited:

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Would you say Rosa is strictly a zoning/defensive character? When looking at two of my gameplay videos for critique, somebody told me I was being too aggressive in MUs where I'd benefit more from being passive, and that I should just stay back and zone with Luma for the entire time. Not that I highly doubt him, but I usually like to get a second opinion before taking advice.
Strictly speaking, no. She's a versatile character that has the tools to play extremely defensively. Most of that 'be passive, or you're doing it wrong' comes from the most well known Rosalina player playing her that way. Of course, there are certain matchups where running directly at them with an overly aggressive option is far more likely to do more harm then good, but in a fair majority of the matchups, you can play aggressively and do just fine.

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
How many ways are there for us to control Rose's up B? I know you can tilt it forwards, leave it, and tilt back, but I once saw someone describe ways of controlling it very closely. I quoted it below.
Good question! From my non-expert knowledge, Rosalina's Launch Star has many different angles and trajectories according to what angle you press [Up + B] and then what angle you hold immediately after. From my personal experience, this is what I have gathered, but experts feel free to correct me since I am not sure at all...

Using the number pad for reference with Rosalina facing the Right side of stage (Player 1):

7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3

Input formula is [(First input) + (Second held input)]

[9 or 8 + 5] = Normal Arc towards stage (90 degrees about?)
[9 or 8 + 4] = Straight Up Curving Backwards
[8 + 2] = Straight Up with a tumble at the top (misses the ledgesnap if done from below at wrong distance)
[9 + 1 or 2] = Straight Up Curving Forwards
[9 + 6] = Quick Horizontal Arc Forwards

Note that inputs starting with 7 usually make you launch in the opposite direction. And that is all I know from when I played around with it. Hope this kind of helps? :)
Are there even more ways of controlling it?

StarForce

Smash Ace
Hyrule, Mushroom, Sarasaland, Nohr Kingdoms
I have done some of those. You can actually control the trajectory. I've gone backwards on Rosalina after straight up but kinda late so i sd on that match and yes you can also face backwards if you were facing forward to recover to the opposite site. it takes timing thou or you'll do it in the position you are facing. I also saw a friend video were he used Palutena to move forward Ike with Palutena's "wing push whiff" and he fell to his doom right in the edge of the stage since he was facing backwards and pushed away. I have a previous post talking about Rosalina's wand push when recalling Luma. If Palutena could push Ike out the stage and caused his sd then Rosalina's wand recall can also do it with great timing and indeed be useful as a battle tactic. If Palutena did it then so can Rosalina.

Last edited:

bmaster77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bobatapioca
Is there any frame data for the recovery of Rosas moves? Also is there data on how negative or postive her moves are when shielded?

I know there's a frame data thread but it only shows startup

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
What's Lunar Landing and how do you perform it? Been told its a must to learn this character.
A lunar landing is just a normal auto-cancelled aerial used by RosaLuma. Then why is it an AT? Although Rosalina's aerial is autocancelled, allowing her to land with only the usual 4 frames of lag, Luma's isn't, meaning RosaLuma is able to pretty much attack without landing lag. However, the autocancel frames are rather short, and it can be quite difficult to hit them precisely. But even if you miss them, you're still protected (kind of) by Luma's hitboxes, so it's not that bad. If you want to practise, RosaLuma's fair has the most autocancel frames, and uair the least (I think, from memory). So probably practise with LL fair at the beginning.

By using Lunar landings, RosaLuma's able to use other ATs such as CRARG (cancelled-RAR grab) and roll-boosted Lunar Landings.

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
What's Lunar Landing and how do you perform it? Been told its a must to learn this character.
Exactly what RosalinaSGS said. I would like to add that this is very deceptive for the opponent. To them it looks like you are just jumping and landing and not doing anything (perfect Lunar Land) because Rosalina's animation is auto canceled because she touches the ground. However Luma still attacks. This gives you hit boxes that they don't see because they are paying attention to you and not Luma.

Since Rosalina has no animation, she is free to do what ever. The CRARG that RosalinaSGS mention is performed by LL a back air, typically by RAR it, since Rosalina is free during this, she can turn around and grab. The range of the RAR is pretty great, and add a boosted grab to that, you can rack up damage quickly.

A couple of links.
http://smashboards.com/threads/at-cancelled-reverse-aerial-rush-grab-crarg.375527/

LunarLand

Hope this helps!

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
How to combo with floaty star bits? Been told it can be used for that purpose , but I dunno how to work it.

redroses

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Marmalade
So, this may seem like a weird question.
But, wasn't Rosalina able to pull a Loid with Gravitational Pull away while Villager was sitting on it?
I tried this a couple times today and it just won't work. I am so sure that it was possible and now I am totally confused.

Really appreciate any help!

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
So, this may seem like a weird question.
But, wasn't Rosalina able to pull a Loid with Gravitational Pull away while Villager was sitting on it?
I tried this a couple times today and it just won't work. I am so sure that it was possible and now I am totally confused.

Really appreciate any help!
Nope! As far as I'm aware, Rosalina was never able to give Villager the ride of a lifetime with her gravitational pull. However, the projectile's immunity to it vanishes the moment Villager jumps off, so he really has to commit to the ( poor ) option if he wants to break through the gravity field.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
The hardest thing for me atm is getting a solid gameplan down, a bit of it might be that my main practice is online. Like if i want to be greedy, what are some solid tactics, and same if i want to play on my lead.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
The hardest thing for me atm is getting a solid gameplan down, a bit of it might be that my main practice is online. Like if i want to be greedy, what are some solid tactics, and same if i want to play on my lead.
It's hard to say, because it's a matter of priorities, either you value your percent more, or theirs. One example would be going in to poke an opponents shield with a Luma nair. A safe player would be happy with the safe tap of the first hit, and love how Rosalina's nair covers any counterattack an opponent might go for. On the other hand, someone going for pressure will cross up their shield, happy that the second hit of nair fully covers the jump behind, despite not being totally safe once they land, they'll value the positional advantage, and opportunity to keep pressure up. Another example would be edgeguarding, where's it's as simple as being greedy going offstage, or being safe and applying ledge pressure.

Neither is particularly right or wrong, but personally I find playing hard and fast to be more fun, even if it does make me much more inconsistent.

Yo can I still get an answer to this?
I'd have answered but...I've never really used the move. I always thought the move had too much cooldown to have any true followups, but I could be wrong. If it doesn't true combo into anything, the usual response to a strong lingering projectile is to shield, so quickly grabbing afterwards should have an above average chance of success.

Last edited:

Reaper Talk

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tricky32
3DS FC
0946-2336-1376
Hello Rosaluma mains!
I am currently writing a character guide and was wondering what are Rosaluma's best and worst stages?
Any feedback is welcome and thank you in advance :bee:

Crescent_Sun

Smash Apprentice
Mega Man main here, I did some reading on the matchup threads about Mega vs Rosa, and while I was slightly skeptical that the matchup was even I was beginning to see why after some more practice against my friend's Rosa.

However, now he's started using custom Rosa, and I'm honestly quite lost. I feel like there's very little I can consistently pull off against Rosa now that I can't harass as much because of the star bit shots and warp, and if he ever feels like beating me he can usually switch to Rosa and seal it in now, even though it ain't his main. How is this matchup from your perspective with customs on, and what, as a Mega Man player can I do to dent Custom Rosa more efficiently? Hoping to get any friendly advice. I could just need some time to get used to fighting it.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Hello Rosaluma mains!
I am currently writing a character guide and was wondering what are Rosaluma's best and worst stages?
Any feedback is welcome and thank you in advance :bee:
Well, there's been a bit of discussion on this very topic here:
http://smashboards.com/threads/rosa...alyzing-town-city.387341/page-2#post-18907960
I haven't really read it myself, but it should give you a fairly good idea of Rosalina's opinion of the stages.

Personally, I'm a fan of Battlefield against most characters, and Smashville / T&C against the combo heavy characters like Sheik, Falcon, and the like. I'd say she's not particularly amazing on Lylat, because the edges take away a lot of her freedom offstage, making her predictable, and much easier to edgeguard.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Question for my day

Which is the more optimal way of doing Lunar Landings

C-Stick or Control Stick + A
I think it comes down to a preference. But I use C-stick. I do this because the Control Stick is used for Directional Influence, so as coming down to the ground, I can easily maneuver either towards or away from my opponent while still doing the desired Lunar Landing.

Think about it this way: If the you are facing your opponent and he decides to dash attack your landing spot, you can use the control stick to move away from him, yet still use the C-Stick to do a forward lunar land. If you use the control stick to perform the LL, then you would be forced to either trade hits, or move away from him and not land a successful LL.

This is just my opinion though.

Last edited:

Reaper Talk

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tricky32
3DS FC
0946-2336-1376
Well, there's been a bit of discussion on this very topic here:
http://smashboards.com/threads/rosa...alyzing-town-city.387341/page-2#post-18907960
I haven't really read it myself, but it should give you a fairly good idea of Rosalina's opinion of the stages.

Personally, I'm a fan of Battlefield against most characters, and Smashville / T&C against the combo heavy characters like Sheik, Falcon, and the like. I'd say she's not particularly amazing on Lylat, because the edges take away a lot of her freedom offstage, making her predictable, and much easier to edgeguard.
Thank you!
This is perfect for what I'm doing!

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
Quick Question. I've just started picking up this character and a tactic I've considered when Luma is dead is to go underneath stage and go from one side or the other to stall out some time for Luma to return. Also I've found it not too difficult to go for a fakeout and return to the ledge I started on, once an opponent is expecting this tactic.

Is this a common thing among Rosalina mains? Are there any drawbacks, maybe that I'm not seeing, to going under the stage when Luma is gone?

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Quick Question. I've just started picking up this character and a tactic I've considered when Luma is dead is to go underneath stage and go from one side or the other to stall out some time for Luma to return. Also I've found it not too difficult to go for a fakeout and return to the ledge I started on, once an opponent is expecting this tactic.

Is this a common thing among Rosalina mains? Are there any drawbacks, maybe that I'm not seeing, to going under the stage when Luma is gone?
Well, the most obvious one is you're regrabbing the ledge, so against an opponent fast enough, they'll just dash to the other ledge after you've made a commitment and down smash you off of it. Aside from that, you carry the risk of SDing under stages with jagged bottoms. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the tactic, because when the Luma returns, you're hardly in a position to stop your opponent from taking it out while you're recovering back onto the stage ( Oh, and stalling is boring ). That said, when Luma is gone I usually take a few extra moments before using launch star offstage, and get the full use of my ledge grab invincibility before getting up.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion

What @ Parcheesy Parcheesy said. I would also note that this works only on stages that don't have walls going to the bottom blastt zonezone (such as DH stage). If you get CP to a stage like that, you will be forced to use different stall tactics, and forced to engage. It's best to just be good at engaging w/o Luma and then only stall when it is absolutely necessary to win. But yes, stalling is boring.

OneManArmy77

Smash Rookie
Ive been playing Rosa against my University scene for awhile, but the matchup I always seem to have trouble with is vs Sheik (no good Diddy mains, and im pretty good relatively speaking). I was looking to see how you guys go about punishing Sheik with and without customs? The moves im having trouble with are stuffing Sheik's Bouncing Fish especially. When Im in neutral, Ill exchange blows like normal, but the Sheik player uses a lot of single needles and plays passive. He spaces it close enough that if I go for the GP, he can punish, but he will also throw out a lot of single needles that stuff interrupt a lot of what I try. When I go for certain moves like d tilt or jab, he can react quickly enough and Bouncing Fish over Luma. I can shield him most of the time, but he will just bounce off or hit Luma and bounce off, and I cant seem to punish him for it, even though I know its coming. Is there something I should be doing to intercept or hit him when he bounces off? Should I be trying to challenge it with an Up Smash? Should I just go for the spot dodge? I could really use some pointers here since right now, its probably costing me games since he doesnt have to worry about my punish from it.

Outside of that, I have some difficulty punishing Sheik's Up B when used for offense and for ledge guarding. When used on offense, assuming hes using it carefully (which he does), I cant reliably punish its start up lag due to circumstances. That said, I would love to hear how you guys go about punishing Sheik's landing lag. Ive noticed that due to Rosa's lack of traction, shielding the hit and then going for a grab seems out of the question, and the push back disrupts/displaces Luma as well, meaning I cant go for a hard read F-smash in my experience. Lastly, I probably am underestimating Sheik's Up B hitbox size, but in trying to get better, I try to challenge it off stage with down air, but that doesnt work as well as Id like mainly due to Sheik's good arial mobility and recovery options. Thoughts on how to handle edge guarding Sheik?

Also, for reference, I did read the matchup thread, and I found it rather unhelpful in this regard, as there wasnt that much detailed matchup knowledge for Sheik. Thanks ahead of time, and I look forward to reading your responses! Ill take all the help I can get!

tconan

Smash Cadet
Watching videos of Dabuz against Sheik players such as False and Mr. R have helped me with this matchup quite a bit. It's still a hard one though. Unfortunately, I'm not that good in general so I suggest you see for yourself how Dabuz deals with Sheik, he's really good at the matchup.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Can anyone give a good explanation why Pikachu and Sheik win against Rosa?
I can really only speak for Pikachu, as most of my losses to Sheik players have been because they're simply better at the game than I am. He's just the ideal character for rushing Rosalina down. All of his multihit aerials snuff Luma's, he can instantly start combos from range via quickattack ( simultaneously making him difficult to properly edgeguard ), and he's short, so a lot of Rosa's best punishes just whiff ( Jab, standing grab, etc ). It's not any one thing in particular, he just has really solid answers to everything Rosa does in the neutral game.

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
@ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy Any advice against villager and Rob. I just have so much trouble against those characters, because I feel like Rosalina has to approach but when I approach with nair or bair I realise that they have amazing aerials against and combined with their annoying projectiles. I feel like I can't do anything. Any advice? Do you know what fast moves moves cancel out loid rocket and gyro?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy Any advice against villager and Rob. I just have so much trouble against those characters, because I feel like Rosalina has to approach but when I approach with nair or bair I realise that they have amazing aerials against and combined with their annoying projectiles. I feel like I can't do anything. Any advice? Do you know what fast moves moves cancel out loid rocket and gyro?
I'm not really a competitive expert, so there probably isn't much that I can tell you about Villager and R.O.B.. At best, I can probably tell you how well Rosalina can handle Ganondorf, since he's one of her easier match-ups.

Top Bottom