• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The roster sucks!!!

You think they started with too many characters?

• Yes

Votes: 22 30.6%
  • No

Votes: 50 69.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamecube Kid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperSonicX2014
3DS FC
3325-3644-1635
They basicly started off with all the revealed characters except for lucina and not only that but 10 mactches for eaxh character to be unlocked? Come on they should've started it off with 8 characters so 400 matches to unlock all characters. Sakurai made this game way too easy.

Raijinken

Smash Master
This is basically exactly what they did with Brawl, except they realized that people want the characters faster than 1k vs matches.

I guess it takes away a tiny bit of the grind fun for people playing alone, but on the whole, it's more enjoyable this way.

Fluggerson

Smash Apprentice
First of all, your title is misleading. You make it sound like the whole roster sucks when you just meant the starting roster. I do agree that there should be more unlockables but it's nice to start with almost all the characters. It's a lot easier to get the characters because people don't wanna leave their console on for 20 hours to unlock someone.

Gamecube Kid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperSonicX2014
3DS FC
3325-3644-1635
Its gonna be a great game what so ever but starting with less makes the game more fun and interesting. Brawl had revealed characters that had to be unlocked.

jonftl

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5370-0725-8432
In melee I did enjoy all the secrets the game had to offer but for online playing purposes I would rather unlock everything in Smash 4 as fast as possible :p

Fathom778

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPSICANEX2
Its gonna be a great game what so ever but starting with less makes the game more fun and interesting. Brawl had revealed characters that had to be unlocked.
In Brawl either you spent hours playing, hours in stamina flower Special Brawl, or you spent hours in a story mode.

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
If you enjoy smash as most here the unlocking process will only take a very small amount of time you'll spend on the game anyway, why make a big deal out of this?

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
I'm sorry but how does this make the "roster suck"? I think your title is misleading. Should have probably put "Why aren't there more unlockable characters" or something of that nature.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
Smash - 12 (4 Unlockable)

Melee - 26 (11 Unlockable)

Brawl - 35 (14 Unlockable)

Sm4sh - 51 (12 Unlockable) (Plus possibility of DLC characters)

I think this is more of a complaint about the ratio of unlockables to starters. Frankly, I don't mind having to only unlock 12 characters. It's gonna take forever to get used to 51 characters anyway; having to unlock more of them would prolong that process, especially when you take into account that the starting roster for Sm4sh is larger than the entirety of Brawl's. While I somewhat wish the 3rd party legends were unlockable instead, it's not enough of a problem to me a game-changer for me.

Last edited:

Igneous42

Smash Ace
While unlocking characters can be fun I think it's about the most minor aspect of the games. Realistically most players will unlock all the characters in the first couple of days and from then on it doesn't matter anymore. I honestly like that there aren't a lot of unlockable characters. I just want the whole roster available as fast as I can.

Raijinken

Smash Master
We need some more characters because we have too much fire emblem
This game could be come Super Smash Emblem and I wouldn't even consider complaining. I think you meant "Too much Pokemon/Mario"

Also, we DO have an unlockable character already revealed - Lucina.

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
I liked having to play 590 matches, it kept me coming back.

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
Am I the only one that realizes that each starting roster is about the same as the previous Smash's full roster?

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
"Brawl revealed all unlockable characters!"

This isn't the same for Smash 4.

Every character that is unlockable in Smash 4 except for Lucina is a hidden character that wasn't revealed. Everybody just spoiled themselves, lol.

Gamecube Kid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperSonicX2014
3DS FC
3325-3644-1635
I want the dlc caracters to be unlock required to make things fun and make the game less boring. And online udates too.

Tommo2304

Smash Rookie
Personally, I think the starting roster would have been perfect without Robin, Shulk and Pac-Man. That'd give us three more characters to unlock, taking it to 15 in total. Plus those three are all newcomers, which would have been nice.

At the same time, I'm perfectly happy with the starting roster as it is.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I think this is a great starting roster. Though I would've preferred Robin and PAC-Man unlockables and Lucina a starter, it's still a starting roster I can live with.

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
Play with friends, that's gonna make the game more enjoyable than having to play 300 matches alone just to unlock stuff

Last edited:

Troll Man

Smash Cadet
The only real reason not to have a big starting roster is so you can find new characters that you didn't know were in the game. With the ESRB leak, and the fact that the game came out in Japan already, I'd know the full roster.

I like that I don't have to grind to have a lot of the characters.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
One of my favourite parts of the game is unlocking the characters, the more difficult the better, gave me a goal when playing by myself. But not too difficult lol.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
In terms of just a mode to keep people coming back, something similar to Soul Calibur IV's individual character Story Mode(s). Each character has a predetermined mix of 8 or so characters you have to fight, and after each battle you win a small rewards (which could be custom moves or trophies eh?). It's essentially the same concept as the Arcade Mode of SSF4.

Renji64

Smash Lord
You mean the unlockables suck not the roster. I think he made it easy so it wouldn't take too much time. It took way too long in melee.

Beastferu

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendaryPhrax
3DS FC
3351-4134-0653
Many players will be focusing on the competitive scene in Sm4sh, so it would make sense to have less unlockables. It's not like it's an unreasonable amount too, so there really is no reason to complain. You will still have to invest some time in unlocking characters, even more so if you aren't successful in fulfilling the requirements to unlock them.

I'm perfectly happy with how the starting roster is.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
They basicly started off with all the revealed characters except for lucina and not only that but 10 mactches for eaxh character to be unlocked? Come on they should've started it off with 8 characters so 400 matches to unlock all characters. Sakurai made this game way too easy.
No, we need to do over ten thousand matches with no alternative, and starting with only Pikachu.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
@ Gamecube Kid Gamecube Kid
This thread really serves no point and the topic only serves as a catalyst for flaming along with the title, which is a tad misleading compared to what the actual topic is. Locked.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
There have been plenty of ”This Roster sucks”or ”I hate these characters" threads since the game was released and each one was locked. This one isn't any different.

Ah, Axle beat me to the punch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom