• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Roy forum Casual/Spam (ABOUT ROY!) Thread

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
first of, the dair is a meteor when sweetspotted NOT A SPIKE.
Okay, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a meteor IS A SPIKE. There are no "plain" spikes with trajectory straight down which cannot be meteor cancelled. Anything else is a pseudo/semi-spike, meaning the trajectory is below 180 degrees enough that it can steal a kill. For example, Pikachu's tailspike (hits down at around a 45 degree angle, not 90 degrees) or Link's up+B. Calling a meteor smash a spike is not inaccurate.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Okay, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a meteor IS A SPIKE. There are no "plain" spikes with trajectory straight down which cannot be meteor cancelled. Anything else is a pseudo/semi-spike, meaning the trajectory is below 180 degrees enough that it can steal a kill. For example, Pikachu's tailspike (hits down at around a 45 degree angle, not 90 degrees) or Link's up+B. Calling a meteor smash a spike is not inaccurate.
um...yes it is inaccurate. a meteor isn't a spike. a spike can't be meteor canceled. if it can be but still hits down that's a meteor. Roy's Upsmash spike can't be meteor canceled, but his dair and his fourth ^B can be. meteors can kill, but that doesn't make it a spike.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
um...yes it is inaccurate. a meteor isn't a spike. a spike can't be meteor canceled. if it can be but still hits down that's a meteor. Roy's Upsmash spike can't be meteor canceled, but his dair and his fourth ^B can be. meteors can kill, but that doesn't make it a spike.
Except that meteors are spikes. Anything else was not intended as a spike, the move just happened to be programmed with knockback trajectory which can situationally kill.

Ever wondered why the "smash" in "meteor smash" is used interchangeably with "spike" (as in, "meteor spike").

Dictionary.com said:
17. Volleyball. to hit (a ball in the air) with a powerful, overarm motion from a position close to the net so as to cause it to travel almost straight down into the court of the opponents.
18. Football. to slam (the ball) to the ground in the end zone, after scoring a touchdown.
Now explain to me how meteors do not spike.

Edit: Also, reread your post. Circular reasoning, much?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
What? Roy's usmash is a meteor, handsockpuppet. Your example doesn't work.

People often use meteor and spike interchangeably, and give uncancelable spikes the name "true spike." Also, Kyu Puff, Marth's dair and Falco's dair seem to have fairly vertical knockback to me.

greenblob

Smash Lord
In Smashboards, when you say "spike," it means it can't be meteor canceled and when you say "meteor," it means it can be canceled.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Sethlon Sandbags in friendlies...or I chock in tournament XD.

Sethlon is too good :(.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Yeah, I completely neglected that Marth's and Falco's spikes aren't meteors.

I guess I retract my first statement. Talk about best spikes in the game...

In Smashboards, when some people say "spike," he or she means it can't be meteor canceled and when you say "meteor," it means it can be canceled. However, other people use "spike" and "meteor" to mean the same thing.
I agree.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
dude, it doesn't matter how many people mix it up. spikes can't be canceled, and meteors can. Ankoko, the Usmash can't be canceled, so there for it's a spike.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
dude, it doesn't matter how many people mix it up. spikes can't be canceled, and meteors can. Ankoko, the Usmash can't be canceled, so there for it's a spike.
It doesn't matter how many people trick themselves into thinking that they're experts at this game. Meteor smashes have downward trajectories, and therefore, by the english language, are spikes. While certain moves happen to have the same trajectory but not the same mechanics, it doesn't change the fact the when you meteor smash someone, you spike them.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
It doesn't matter how many people trick themselves into thinking that they're experts at this game. Meteor smashes have downward trajectories, and therefore, by the english language, are spikes. While certain moves happen to have the same trajectory but not the same mechanics, it doesn't change the fact the when you meteor smash someone, you spike them.
people like you just mix other people up. i like the idea of calling the strong ones a different name then the weak ones. I couldn't care less if they have the same affect. when someone gets meteor smashed, while it may seem like they got spiked, they actually didn't.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Hs fourth DED is A Meteor? I Thought his Third Up One Was the Meteor of The DED???

Roy Spiking is fun^_^(Upsmash)
Espaically on Peach Players!!! LOLZ

dlen06

Smash Apprentice
The only time anyone should use roy is when they want to see fire and mario is dead.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Roy gets flamed more then almost any low-tier character. Why is that? Many bottom-tier characters don't get flamed this much. Is it the n00bs? is it the fact that he's a lesser clone of Marth?

D

Deleted member

Roy gets flamed more then almost any low-tier character. Why is that? Many bottom-tier characters don't get flamed this much. Is it the n00bs? is it the fact that he's a lesser clone of Marth?
Lesser clone of marth, and the fact that many people who play roy are infamous for thinking he is good, which he is not, and that is undeniable, and if u think otherwise, U ARE A NOOB.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
people like you just mix other people up. i like the idea of calling the strong ones a different name then the weak ones. I couldn't care less if they have the same affect. when someone gets meteor smashed, while it may seem like they got spiked, they actually didn't.
...except that they did get spiked. :p

It's fine if you call meteor spikes "meteors" and other spikes just "spikes" but don't tell other people that they're incorrect for calling a meteor smash a spike.

I mix people up?

PHP:
Pretend you are watching a match, and a guy playing as Samus wins a stock and is all like "d-air spike ftw!" 

Then you step in saying, "what are you talking about? Samus doesn't have any spikes."

"Huh? Then what did I just do?"

"That was a meteor smash. Samus doesn't have any spikes. She has two meteors."

"So she has another spike? I didn't know that..."

"No, her u-tilt is also a meteor, but it doesn't spike."
PHP:
Now, pretend someone walks up to me, and I say "Samus has one spike."

He says "oh yeah, her d-air..."

"It can be cancelled by jumping or up+Bing though, so be careful."
If you ask me, not classifying meteors as spikes is what mixes people up.

greenblob

Smash Lord
It's mostly for clarification. Unless the community decides to come up with a new name for "non-cancelable spikes," in Smashboards terminology a "spike" is an attack with a downward trajectory that can't be canceled.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
I'm not a noob.

I just don't like his face.
i wasn't calling you a noob, i just was asking if the noobs were saying Roy rocks and therefore caused flaming.

Lesser clone of marth, and the fact that many people who play roy are infamous for thinking he is good, which he is not, and that is undeniable, and if u think otherwise, U ARE A NOOB.
I know Roy sucks, and therefore i am not a noob

...except that they did get spiked. :p

It's fine if you call meteor spikes "meteors" and other spikes just "spikes" but don't tell other people that they're incorrect for calling a meteor smash a spike.

I mix people up?

PHP:
Pretend you are watching a match, and a guy playing as Samus wins a stock and is all like "d-air spike ftw!" 

Then you step in saying, "what are you talking about? Samus doesn't have any spikes."

"Huh? Then what did I just do?"

"That was a meteor smash. Samus doesn't have any spikes. She has two meteors."

"So she has another spike? I didn't know that..."

"No, her u-tilt is also a meteor, but it doesn't spike."
PHP:
Now, pretend someone walks up to me, and I say "Samus has one spike."

He says "oh yeah, her d-air..."

"It can be cancelled by jumping or up+Bing though, so be careful."
If you ask me, not classifying meteors as spikes is what mixes people up.
look. you can call meteors spikes and spikes meteors, I really don't care. But i still have the right to tell people what is and isn't a spike. America's a free country.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
And that does not mean you aren't feeding them false information.

A spike is any move that sends an opponent in a vertically downward trajectory. A meteor smash is any move the game classifies as a meteor smash. I gave the Samus example for a reason. The game counts any KOs obtained by her u-tilt as meteor smash KOs, however, her u-tilt doesn't spike and cannot be cancelled.

first of, the dair is a meteor when sweetspotted NOT A SPIKE.
You may prefer ignorance, but I still have the right to argue. We do live in a free country.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Yes, I agree that by the dictionary definition, any move with a downward trajectory is a "spike." I don't think anyone's disagreeing with you there. However, the current Smash terminology is set in place partially to clarify, and partially because it's hard to change something that's been in place for such a long time.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
And that does not mean you aren't feeding them false information.

A spike is any move that sends an opponent in a vertically downward trajectory. A meteor smash is any move the game classifies as a meteor smash. I gave the Samus example for a reason. The game counts any KOs obtained by her u-tilt as meteor smash KOs, however, her u-tilt doesn't spike and cannot be cancelled.

You may prefer ignorance, but I still have the right to argue. We do live in a free country.
OMG your such a n00b. I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE DICTIONARY DEFINITION. a meteor smash is a downward hit that can be canceled by an upB or a double jump. a spike is a downward hit that can't be canceled. WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED. now stop spamming the spam thread. and yes, Roy's dair is a meteor, NOT A SPIKE.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
You guys make it sound like there are spikes all over the game. Theres only 3 true spikes: Marths Dair hit with the tip, Falco's Dair, and Ganon's down b.

Smash Terms= Meteor Smash- Sends you downwards but can be canceled with a 2nd or 3rd jump.
Spike- Sends you downwards and cannot be canceled.

Why the **** are you guys arguing over smash terms? In SMASH TERMS, Kyu Puff is wrong.

****, looks like we dont need 5150 over here to cause problems...

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm pretty sure you can meteor-cancel Roy's usmash, but if you really insist that it can't, I'll have to go and check.

EDIT: I just checked, it can be meteor-canceled.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
lets argue some more, can you really count ganons down b because it can hit them up too.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
It is a little annoying how hes always got that small coy smile on his face. Its hard to be serious and angry when hes looking all chipper and stuff.

Banned via Administration
hey bros, wanna chill? I got some natty ice and a gamecube! btw, when i play gamecube, i play with my pants off, is that ok with you bra? awesome! hey do you like jack johnson? hes chill as hell... hey bro turn around real quick!

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
hey bros, wanna chill? I got some natty ice and a gamecube! btw, when i play gamecube, i play with my pants off, is that ok with you bra? awesome! hey do you like jack johnson? hes chill as hell... hey bro turn around real quick!
lol, bro ****

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
OK cool. But let's talk about his face and how dumb it is.
says the person who mains a plumber with a childish face and a weird mustache. kinda like Groucho Marx...
...?...

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
OMG your such a n00b. I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE DICTIONARY DEFINITION. a meteor smash is a downward hit that can be canceled by an upB or a double jump. a spike is a downward hit that can't be canceled. WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED. now stop spamming the spam thread. and yes, Roy's dair is a meteor, NOT A SPIKE.
Um, ok. I thought you just said you didn't care, so why get all heated? It wasn't the dictionary definition. If you actually read any of my posts, you'd see what I'm actually trying to get across. People mix up the definition of meteor smash. It's a spam thread, so I can argue that Roy's d-air meteor can be called a spike. However, flaming can actually get the thread closed

Meteor smash is a term invented by the game's creators. It is a special kind of move that gets you extra points when you kill with it. That's it. Meteors are usually spikes which can be cancelled by jumping or up+Bing after the first 50 frames, not all of them are. RastaImposta; this is a real smash term. You can't take actual words from the game and change them to mean what you want them to. "Okay, from now on, jumping is called anti-spiking because some jumps aren't really jumps."

Maybe there was some Smash commitee which designated the name "meteor" to cover any meteor spikes and "spike" to mean true spikes. But I wasn't there. All I know is that when you meteor smash someone, it acts as a spike. I've never heard anyone EVER say "that was a sick meteor, man". "F-AIR F-AIR F-AIR SPIKE LOLOL" is more like it.

Again, maybe by strict smash terms, meteor =/= spike, but it's ridiculous to go around flailing your arms like a douchebag whenever somebody uses the other.

Also, going even more off topic, I don't see how it's possible to have strict smash terms for something like a spike. People call techniques that are not named by the makers anything they want. For example, while wavedashing is usually just called wavedashing, some people prefer wavesliding or sliding.

Um, ok. I thought you just said you didn't care, so why get all heated? It wasn't the dictionary definition. If you actually read any of my posts, you'd see what I'm actually trying to get across. People mix up the definition of meteor smash. It's a spam thread, so I can argue that Roy's d-air meteor can be called a spike. However, flaming can actually get the thread closed

Meteor smash is a term invented by the game's creators. It is a special kind of move that gets you extra points when you kill with it. That's it. Meteors are usually spikes which can be cancelled by jumping or up+Bing after the first 50 frames, not all of them are. RastaImposta; this is a real smash term. You can't take actual words from the game and change them to mean what you want them to. "Okay, from now on, jumping is called anti-spiking because some jumps aren't really jumps."

Maybe there was some Smash commitee which designated the name "meteor" to cover any meteor spikes and "spike" to mean true spikes. But I wasn't there. All I know is that when you meteor smash someone, it acts as a spike. I've never heard anyone EVER say "that was a sick meteor, man". "F-AIR F-AIR F-AIR SPIKE LOLOL" is more like it.

Again, maybe by strict smash terms, meteor =/= spike, but it's ridiculous to go around flailing your arms like a douchebag whenever somebody uses the other.

Also, going even more off topic, I don't see how it's possible to have strict smash terms for something like a spike. People call techniques that are not named by the makers anything they want. For example, while wavedashing is usually just called wavedashing, some people prefer wavesliding or sliding.
actually it IS a big ****ing deal you scrub. dont you think low tiers would be a ****load better if they had true spikes like marth or falco?

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Okay...

I said that it doesn't matter if someone calls a meteor a spike. I didn't say that they weren't functionally different. Obviously spikes are better than meteor spikes... didn't think anyone disagreed on that.

Okay...

I said that it doesn't matter if someone calls a meteor a spike. I didn't say that they weren't functionally different. Obviously spikes are better than meteor spikes... didn't think anyone disagreed on that.
no you dont get it do you. someone calling roy's meteor a spike is them showing how ignorant they are and they probably think tiers dont exist. learn this forum fast or gtfo.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
no you dont get it do you. someone calling roy's meteor a spike is them showing how ignorant they are and they probably think tiers dont exist. learn this forum fast or gtfo.
I know tiers exist and I've learned this forum.

If someone refers to "Roy's d-air spike" we obviously know it's a meteor. If you sweetspot someone with Roy's d-air and they fail to cancel it or try to cancel it too fast, and as a result die, you spiked them.

ORIGINAL CONTEXT said:
Pshh.. I Dair Spiked a Peach in a tourney match with some funky mindgames.
What was he supposed to say there?... I meteor smash killed a Peach? He wasn't making any ludicrous statement about Roy's tier placement, so why the **** does it matter?

dlen06

Smash Apprentice
says the person who mains a plumber with a childish face and a weird mustache. kinda like Groucho Marx...
Groucho would destroy roy anyday. he'd block roy's sword with his cigars and then disable him with his hilarious movies.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
actually it IS a big ****ing deal you scrub. dont you think low tiers would be a ****load better if they had true spikes like marth or falco?
Wow look, Sheik and Peach don't have any true spikes and they still are high tier!!!

Low tiers are low for multiple reasons.. the fact that they would be able to spike wouldn't rise most of them up terribly high considering they would still need to land the spike.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
I know tiers exist and I've learned this forum.

If someone refers to "Roy's d-air spike" we obviously know it's a meteor. If you sweetspot someone with Roy's d-air and they fail to cancel it or try to cancel it too fast, and as a result die, you spiked them.

What was he supposed to say there?... I meteor smash killed a Peach? He wasn't making any ludicrous statement about Roy's tier placement, so why the **** does it matter?
i was just pointing it out to him, not insulting him... just to end the spamming, I agree with you. now gtfo of the Roy forums plox.

Groucho would destroy roy anyday. he'd block roy's sword with his cigars and then disable him with his hilarious movies.
yah but Groucho isn't an SSBM character. too bad the though...he'd beat top-tier characters with the super long Jewish nose of death.

Top Bottom