• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Royal Guide/Faq of King Dedede. (Updated 7/26)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CO18

Smash Hero
Wow, that's a lotta posts. Allow me to contribute.

Contrary to what you might think, Kirby and King Dedede's Inhale moves are not identical. The differences in them are small, but present.

First of all, King Dedede has a bit more range and pull when inhaling. Kirby has to be nearly right next to an enemy to inhale them since his B move mainly exists to let him copy other B moves. Dedede can afford to stand a bit farther away, and when he does he pulls enemies toward him almost immediately with his lungs.

It's when you have have someone in your mouth that the differences are most obvious. Kirby can barely move with his face full, but King Dedede walks faster and jumps a bit higher with his cheeks stuffed. Try it out. He is surprisingly mobile, so use this to jump, aim, and then spit. Enemies seem to have a harder time getting out of Dedede's more robust belly too.

When Kirby copies King Dedede, he also gains these advantages.
yeah you're right ive been noticing that too. And I Ironically I was coming on here to change that... Dont have any real evidence because when you time it kirby and dedede's inhale keep them in about the same but It is much easier for me swallowcide with dedede than kirby.
Didnt test the other stuff about jumping and speed though so thanks. :)

Edit: Dang i edited it, then smashboards went slow and it lagged.... lame.
Oh well, ill put it in tomorrow..

Frey

Smash Journeyman
Great guide, I am going to main dedede, and this guide does helps. Btw even with items off he throws an item(I was training on brawl mode with no items on and i still randomly threw items.)

nomnomnom

Smash Cadet
Frey: there's a difference between turning items off and having the item appearance set to none. With peach in melee you could still pull out bobombs/beamswords/mrsaturn even with the items off, but dedede doesn't work like this in brawl - if the items are individually turned off, then you can't pull out capsules and the like. If they're still on but set to never appear, dedede can still pull them out, they just won't appear on their own. I'm not sure if peach is the same in brawl... I can't stand playing her now because I mained her in melee and she's just so different.

This should probably be put in the guide as it seems to be coming up a lot.

--

That said, great job on the guide. I'm really liking dedede, he seems to be an excellent character with tons of potential. Comprehensive lists of who can be chaingrabbed (both penguin stomp and the infinite chain ITP mentions here) would be excellent. I'm not the best at his chain grab yet and don't have a human opponent that can DI it right now, otherwise I'd get on it.

chubb-o-wub

Smash Journeyman
I saw the character match-ups, and it says that Olimar's pikmin can be blocked with the forward tilt. It got me thinking, what other projectiles can be blocked by his forward tilt (please give this move a fun name) or by the Dee's and Doo's?

I've seen the Dee's block lasers from Falco pretty well.

CO18

Smash Hero
I saw the character match-ups, and it says that Olimar's pikmin can be blocked with the forward tilt. It got me thinking, what other projectiles can be blocked by his forward tilt (please give this move a fun name) or by the Dee's and Doo's?

I've seen the Dee's block lasers from Falco pretty well.
Hmm, should test it.. Waddle dees/doos block every projectile.

I know the forward tilt can block diddy's peanuts.. but im sure theres alot more, need to check.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
DI means Directional Input. It basically means altering your movemnt while midair. So if u jump in the air, when u fall you can hold left to move left, holding up while jumping makes u stay higher (or go higher too?) and so on. and also like if you are getting chaingrabbed, or at lesat back in melee if u were chaingrabbed by shiek, you'd hold left/right etc. to move away from Shiek so you can escape the chaingrab

CO18

Smash Hero
I need help beating the Ice Climbers and Yoshi. With DDD
Yoshi is pretty easy to beat.

I need to update the character matchups.

The only problem with yoshi, is that his projectile CAN be better than yours if your opponent is good with him.

But other than that, i really think yoshi is one of the easier matchups.

You can chaingrab him and you outprioritize most of his moves.

Its also pretty easy to edgeguard yoshi.

If you could describe more specifically what your problem is, I can help more.

Ice climbers on the other hand.... are pretty hard for Dedede.
Ive played like one person and it was pretty tough. However I dont really no any IC mains so I dont know any real effective strategies against IC's.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
"Quote:
Originally Posted by Save the Asians
Can't seem to find it, but what is DIing? Basic question and I've seen it everywhere, help appreciated.

Yeah, what ragnarok said except its Directional Influence. lol. no biggie, just correcting it.
Still the same thing."

wierd i cant find the quote button, did u guys change it? o well im too lazy to type it out:)

sry about that, thx:)

Dream Land Works

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I was wondering if I could get some advice for facing Bowser, R.O.B., and Wolf. Here are the problems I am currently facing for each.

Bowser: The people that I play who use Bowser usually are suicide player where they keep using the over b until both players are off the stage. I can usually dodge this, but what would be some other good counters against this.

R.O.B.: One of my friends are extremely good with ROB and he seems to be able to counter everything my Dedede got for him, I can barely really do much against his ROB and havent ever been able to really find a good way to beat him. I usually only get 1 KO on him in a 4-stock match.

Wolf: The gun and reflecting is pretty easy to handle, but he uses a lot of combo and rushing. What would be the best way to counter this with Dedede?

Met

Smash Ace
ok if you are having trouble with those characters then let me ask you do you chain grab alot? because most people don't realize is that dedede is all about the chain grab that is the single best thing that he has going for him. and all of those characters can be chain grabed but rob is a tough one fast moves good range moves. keep waddle dees out and spam backairs and F-tilts is my advice.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Finally! I'm starting to get good with Dedede. I was really bad at first. I'm trying to develop stategy, cause he will definitely be my main.

Dream Land Works

Smash Journeyman
ok if you are having trouble with those characters then let me ask you do you chain grab alot? because most people don't realize is that dedede is all about the chain grab that is the single best thing that he has going for him. and all of those characters can be chain grabed but rob is a tough one fast moves good range moves. keep waddle dees out and spam backairs and F-tilts is my advice.
Ya, I do chain grab, but only twice or three times a match. I guess I should use chain grabbing more. Thanks for the advice.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
BTW, could anyone give me the serious help I need at playing Dedede? I can beat my bro, and friends, but I don't do so well in WiFi. There is always one person who will NOT stop attacking me, edgeguarding me, and comboing me nonstop, while the other two duke it out, and I have no chance to attack. Maybe I just have bad luck, but I need coaching. He's my favorite char, and I want to use him well.

DarkHero9360

Smash Cadet
BTW, could anyone give me the serious help I need at playing Dedede? I can beat my bro, and friends, but I don't do so well in WiFi. There is always one person who will NOT stop attacking me, edgeguarding me, and comboing me nonstop, while the other two duke it out, and I have no chance to attack. Maybe I just have bad luck, but I need coaching. He's my favorite char, and I want to use him well.
tell us who they use so we could give u some pointers but for now just use your tilts to get some space and your airs for kill moves try to egdeguard when you can for easy kills,knowing how to read a person kill moves helps too(so you'll know when they are trying to finish u off)

RPK

Smash Lord
Out of curiousity, have you guys ever thrown a capsule before with his Side+B? Happened twice where I got a beam sword out of it and an explosive capsule to the face ._.

Prince of Pain

Smash Rookie
Out of curiousity, have you guys ever thrown a capsule before with his Side+B? Happened twice where I got a beam sword out of it and an explosive capsule to the face ._.
If you're playing with competitive rules, you need to individually turn off all items, not just set frequency to none, otherwise Dedede can do this.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Well, Meta Knight gives me a bit of trouble, and naturally Olimar is a pain. Also, for reference, what's the best start for taking on other heavyweights like Ike or Bowser? I try chaingrabbing, but they always expect it and escape.

KingKracko

Smash Rookie
Wow great guide this will help a lot. By the way, know any good Game and Watch strategies, my arrogant friend wants to fight me when I get online and I need to be able to kick his butt.

Met

Smash Ace
whingedknight whatever your name is. If they are getting out of your chaingrab then that means that you are doing it wrong or you are playing a stage that doesn't allow for successful ones like lylat or stages that arn't completely straight.

meestertiny

Smash Cadet
hey guys,

I've been strictly playing D3 since the day it came out.. and so far things have been going swell, since he's an uber penguin with a tenfrickington hammer

zelda has been giving me a problem, her uair and her smashes usually screw me over.. along with her din's fire.. wdees don't really help in that case

any specific strategies for facing characters with projectiles that cannot be countered with wdee toss? (pit, zelda, etc)

AuraHammer

Smash Rookie
Yoshi is pretty easy to beat.

I need to update the character matchups.

The only problem with yoshi, is that his projectile CAN be better than yours if your opponent is good with him.

But other than that, i really think yoshi is one of the easier matchups.

You can chaingrab him and you outprioritize most of his moves.

Its also pretty easy to edgeguard yoshi.

If you could describe more specifically what your problem is, I can help more.

Ice climbers on the other hand.... are pretty hard for Dedede.
Ive played like one person and it was pretty tough. However I dont really no any IC mains so I dont know any real effective strategies against IC's.
Im really good at chain grabbing but when I do it my friend says it is cheap. What do I say in my defense??

I also need help with a really annoying kirby that keeps using Side Smash Up B and Down B for invulnerability. ( I already know I can grab him when Kirby is a rock)

Save the Asians

Smash Cadet
Just had some little combos I was practicing with.

From the combo I saw with the Fastfall N Air > U-Tilt > U-Tilt > U-Tilt

I tested out U-Tilt > U-Tilt > U-Tilt > U-Smash for a good 50% combo right now O_O. You could also apply this to the Fastfal N Air Combo and substituting the last U-Tilt for a U-Smash.

Also the 'in-place dodge' (forgot what it was exactly called) is really useful when added on with a D-Tilt.

Don't mean to repeat information, but if I did, my apologies, I just wanted to put some food for thought in =).

cloudz

Smash Journeyman
i think ike should be more in depth, all of ikes moves push you away if your shiled is up, so grabbing isnt as easy as you make it out to be :(

CO18

Smash Hero
i think ike should be more in depth, all of ikes moves push you away if your shiled is up, so grabbing isnt as easy as you make it out to be :(
It will be.

Thats just what I have for now.

IT will be continuosly updated. Character Matchups take quite a while to put together if you want real information.

cloudz

Smash Journeyman
It will be.

Thats just what I have for now.

IT will be continuosly updated. Character Matchups take quite a while to put together if you want real information.

well, just something to add that i learned about

if ike is charing his forwrd b(which they ALL do), you can inhale, ike will go right through you and fall to his death(assuming hes near the middle/edge of the stage, if they are already charging theres nothing they can do about it lolol

they fail, we win :)

r0ffles

Smash Rookie
any tips on fighting metaknight?

i have a hard time hitting him since hes so small and fast. keeping MK at bay with waddle dees is also difficult.

Illussionary

Smash Journeyman
Much love to you CO18, I had been searching for the character that I liked the most, and you not only helped me find him, but also helped me master him.

Thank You <3

AuraHammer

Smash Rookie
Im going to fight in a tourney for my forum and I need counters for the following people.

Toon Link
Metaknight
Wolf
Olimar*
*Not that important.
They are used alot and Its going to be hard for me to beat fast swordsman. Help!

CO18

Smash Hero
Im going to fight in a tourney for my forum and I need counters for the following people.

Toon Link
Metaknight
Wolf
Olimar*
*Not that important.
They are used alot and Its going to be hard for me to beat fast swordsman. Help!
Why is Olimar not that important? lol. Hes the toughest matchup up there.

Toon link: Play aggressively. Dont get hit <-- best advice. lol. Just shield and dodge everything, grab him and throw him off the edge. Cant chaingrab him cuz he can grab u b4 u regrab him. Hes rather easy to edgeguard so make sure you **** him once you throw him off the stage. The matchup still sucks but ive played the best toon link right now and am 1-2 against him but thats easily the most effective way.

Metaknight: Play Defensively. You can shield grab most of his aerials. His main approach are dash attacks and dashing grabs so use ftilt alot in this matchup. I hate MK cuz its really hard to edgeguard him and hell just get away and end up edgeguarding u lol. Plus his freaking UP + B is so gay, that you might die at like 50% trying to edgeguard him.

Wolf: Play aggressively. Basically anyone that can outspam you, you have to play aggressive against. Bairs pwn here cuz it outprioritzes all his aerials. Ftilts are good too.
Dont roll around him cuz its really hard to dodge his down smash.
He can jab out of the chaingrab as well, so dont try unless he doesnt know, just throw him off the edge and edgeguard him too. Shield grab his fsmashes...etc..

Olimar: EWWW. I just lost in the BC tourney in the finals to an olimar lol. Hes gay.
He outranges and outspams you so its pretty retarted.. nvm the fact that your fat and he could hit u easily lol. Basically you have to predict what he will do and spot dodge alot of his attacks. Spot dodge downsmashes and his grabs and throw him off the edge and **** him when hes off since hes easiest to edgeguard. Make sure you edgehog. His up+b can spike you off the ledge but ull easily recover unless ur at 100+% and he cant regrab after that so he dies. Ftilt helps with pikmin spam and is a pretty good approach but basically you cant approach him from the air or youll get *****.

Hope this helped..lol. Good luck dude! :)

Doval

Smash Lord
Minor nitpick: Star Shot damage is not based on weight. It's assigned semi-arbitrarily to each character. Star Shot damage and knockback doesn't change if the projectile character is in Metal form or Tiny form - it's exactly the same. There are also many inconsistencies - Snake is heavier than Dedede yet only does 17%, Fox and Squirtle do 12% despite the fact that they're lighter than G&W.

CO18

Smash Hero
Minor nitpick: Star Shot damage is not based on weight. It's assigned semi-arbitrarily to each character. Star Shot damage and knockback doesn't change if the projectile character is in Metal form or Tiny form - it's exactly the same. There are also many inconsistencies - Snake is heavier than Dedede yet only does 17%, Fox and Squirtle do 12% despite the fact that they're lighter than G&W.
Its basically based on weight dude.

Just wondering how would you know exactly that snake is heavier than dedede and fox and squirtle are lighter than G&W?

Doval

Smash Lord
It's not REALLY based on weight if the damage won't change when a character is in Metal form or Tiny form. Each character does a certain amount of damage and knockback no matter what the conditions. It's true that in most cases it's consistent with their weights, but people might assume it can be used as a weight chart, and it can't.

As for the weight question, you kill characters horizontally with the same attack, at the same spot in the stage, and compare the % needed to kill them. Because it's a horizontal KO and not a vertical one, falling speed won't matter. Here's the %'s it takes to kill a certain character with Mario's D-smash from the center of FD, without DI (F-smash can't be used because Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon are affected by the Fire-Water-Grass type triangle.)

Bowser 151
DK 150
Snake 147
Dedede 146
Samus 145
Charizard 145
Yoshi 143
Wario 143
Ganon 143
ROB 143
Ike 141
Link 140
C.Falcon 138
Ivysaur 138
Lucario 138
Mario 136
Luigi 136
Wolf 136
Pit 133
Ness 133
Sonic 133
Toon Link 132
Lucas 132
Peach 131
Diddy 131
IC 130
Marth 128
Zelda 127
Olimar 125
Sheik 123
ZS Samus 123
Kirby 122
Falco 122
MetaKnight 121
Pikachu 121
G&W 119
Fox 117
Squirtle 117
Jigglypuff 115

The ones I pointed out aren't the only inconsistencies. Like I said, it's a minor nitpick but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom