• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sassy Princess of Sarasaland: Daisy for SSB4 (A New Daisy for Smash Thread Opens See Pg. 197)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
[COLLAPSE="Daisy's Best Moment"]
[/COLLAPSE]

Probably this is why she isn't being kidnapped anymore and why she needs to join the fray. :troll:

Nonnel

Smash Cadet
it's a real shame that the " Hi I'm Daisy " mini meme got her some hate :(

But as a strong female character i still think her chances are still higher if Nintendo adds another Mario rep

also R.O.B I forgot when I made the moveset to list her throw strength maybe a five or four? I don't know opinions?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
it's a real shame that the " Hi I'm Daisy " mini meme got her some hate :(

But as a strong female character i still think her chances are still higher if Nintendo adds another Mario rep

also R.O.B I forgot when I made the moveset to list her throw strength maybe a five or four? I don't know opinions?
Avoid double posting, but you did it for a good reason. Thanks for the throw stats, I've added that to the moveset. Sure the "Hi I'm Daisy" quote was so infamous that it gave her hate, but they had to think of something to pep up her personality in Double Dash. Actually, I like to spam that taunt to annoy my siblings when I race as Daisy/Peach. If only Gunpei was still alive, he would have done so much better. :(

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Don't count on Daisy appearing at all, I'm almost positive it won't happen. The main reason is the number of other Mario characters who she has to compete with, many of which beat her in all qualifying areas.

1) First of all, Daisy is not nearly as relevant or important to the Mario series as characters like Bowser Jr. or Toad. She is hardly as iconic either.

2) Second of all, Daisy lacks the popularity of these characters.

3) Lastly, Daisy's similarities to Peach would almost certainly drop her in the clone-zone. She could have unique moves, but then again, any character could. It just so happens that characters like Toad, Bowser Jr., and a couple other characters have more original concepts to work with.

Daisy won't make the cut before characters like Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, or even Waluigi (Waluigi only because of his popularity. Otherwise, Daisy has more importance).

Nonnel

Smash Cadet
Don't count on Daisy appearing at all, I'm almost positive it won't happen. The main reason is the number of other Mario characters who she has to compete with, many of which beat her in all qualifying areas.

1) First of all, Daisy is not nearly as relevant or important to the Mario series as characters like Bowser Jr. or Toad. She is hardly as iconic either.

2) Second of all, Daisy lacks the popularity of these characters.

3) Lastly, Daisy's similarities to Peach would almost certainly drop her in the clone-zone. She could have unique moves, but then again, any character could. It just so happens that characters like Toad, Bowser Jr., and a couple other characters have more original concepts to work with.

Daisy won't make the cut before characters like Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, or even Waluigi (Waluigi only because of his popularity. Otherwise, Daisy has more importance).
1. toad is a servant character that is already in as one of Peach's special moves. can't argue much about bowser jr

2.Daisy has a pretty good fanbase, also she lacks the hate that some candidates (waluigi)
have.

3. uh besides being a princess they have no similarities. I'm just glad Daisy got lucky and didn't get peach's face like poor Rosalina.also how is she aoutmaticly in the clone zone? Daisy using a parasol or a toad yeaaah no thank you! And she has already shown she is much tougher then Peach

@R.O.B yeah my bad... I'm just really proud of the moveset and when i noticed that i had to tell you ^_^

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As far as Daisy goes, im not all that confident that she will get in either. When i look at the list of Mario Characters that people want to see, i see Bowser Jr., Toad, Paper Mario, Waluigi, and Daisy. Concerning these characters:

1. Toad is the servant and generic character of the Mario series. When Bowser attacks, Toad cannot even defend the Princess from a goomba or koopa troopa, let alone taking on Bowser one on one in Smash Bros

2: Waluigi and Daisy to me are in the same boat. They appear in spin off games at the most (as of late. I know Daisy was in the game before as the damsel in distress). Not to say they are unimportant, but when comparing them to characters like Bowser Jr. or Paper Mario, i do not see them as likely because of their importance to Nintendo's history. Not to mention, Waluigi was an assist trophy in Brawl. This may not mean much, but his attacks were based off of a tennis racket, which represents the spin off series. I'm not sure that those need much more than that

3. Bowser Jr. has been in the last 3 Super Mario games as the secondary Villain, along with several appearances in spin off games. He definitely has a much better shot than most other choices, if we even get a Mario Character at all

4. Paper Mario is by far my favorite choice for a mario addition. The series had been around for a little over 10 years now, and is quite popular. The 4th installment is about to be released for the 3ds, and i personally see Paper Mario as one of the most unique options for this roster. Sure, Paper Mario is technically a spin off game, but there is a new one released only every few years, whereas other characters are all over the place in a few games a year

Not to say Daisy wont get in, but i certainly think that there are more reasons against her inclusion than for her inclusion

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
1. toad is a servant character that is already in as one of Peach's special moves. can't argue much about bowser jr
True, but people who use this argument fail to realize that Toad's current status as a single move is not something that is doomed to be permanent. Perhaps Toadsworth could replace the Toad used in Peach's moves. Maybe Peach can adopt a NEW reflective special move. Maybe the developers don't even care, seeing as how there are multiple Toad's anyway.

2.Daisy has a pretty good fanbase, also she lacks the hate that some candidates (waluigi) have.
Daisy's fanbase does compete with some Mario characters, but not all. Her popularity will never be able to compete with the popularity of characters like Bowser Jr., Toad, Paper Mario, and even Waluigi, despite any hate bases. Unless the hate is extremely vocal and with high support, it can't make much of a difference. And don't forget that Daisy has a hatebase too...

3. uh besides being a princess they have no similarities. I'm just glad Daisy got lucky and didn't get peach's face like poor Rosalina.also how is she aoutmaticly in the clone zone? Daisy using a parasol or a toad yeaaah no thank you! And she has already shown she is much tougher then Peach
She doesn't have many concepts to work with. When creating her moveset, developers will either have to start from scratch, or more likely, take the easier route by making her a Peach clone due to similarities. Characters like Bowser Jr., Toad, and Paper Mario have much more content readily available to build a new moveset.

And you could say that she would adopt a moveset based on Mario spin-offs, but if that's all she has going for her, then she has to compete with Waluigi, which won't be easy. Waluigi is far more popular (gaining him Assist Trophy status) and has potential to be a much more unique character, unlike Daisy.

And whether or not she is "tough" doesn't even matter. Peach gets kidnapped by Bowser constantly, but in Super Smash Bros., Peach can kick Bowser's ***.

Nonnel

Smash Cadet
@Spydr Enzo

many toad fans say she could just use Toadsworth but why fix whats not broken?

And yeah she might be the most popular but fansbase is a fanbase. yeah I pointed out the "Hi I'm Daisy" thing got her some hate

what did they have to work with when they made Captain falcon? Sheik? Ice climbers?

@Scoliosis Jones
yeah I acknowledge her chances are slim to none :( but if she did get in that what would make me so overjoyed ^_^ beating the odds and whatnot and plus her fanbase would skyrocket

jigglover

Smash Lord
@Spydr Enzo, make a move-set for Toad please, he has so much going for him, don't forget the ledges and a and smashes! And I'm only allowing one special to reference the fact that he's a mushroom, since he really doesn't have anything to work from but that.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
@Nonnel
@Spydr Enzo

many toad fans say she could just use Toadsworth but why fix whats not broken?
No one is trying to "fix" anything with this little change-up. I mentioned other solutions as well.

And yeah she might be the most popular but fansbase is a fanbase. yeah I pointed out the "Hi I'm Daisy" thing got her some hate
You're right, a fanbase is a fanbase, but why would a less familar/iconic character with a smaller fanbase make an appearance before a much more familiar/iconic character with a much larger fanbase? Think about it.

what did they have to work with when they made Captain falcon? Sheik? Ice climbers?
Actually, if you've played the game, some of the Ice Climbers' moves are taken from it. For the others, you are right, but you can't really compare a character like Daisy to characters like Captain Falcon, Sheik, and the Ice Climbers. Falcon and the Climbers are both the stars of their own series, and Sheik was a relevant character from a widely known and highly popular game back in the day, not to mention the game was recently remade for the 3DS. Daisy is a spin-off character with very little importance to the Mario series or the history of Nintendo. There are far better candidates from the Mario series that out-compete Daisy by a long shot.

@jigglover
@Spydr Enzo, make a move-set for Toad please, he has so much going for him, don't forget the ledges and a and smashes! And I'm only allowing one special to reference the fact that he's a mushroom, since he really doesn't have anything to work from but that.
Hold on a sec, I typed up a HUGE essay a while ago on Toad, it will most definitely have some relevant information in there that might interest you. Let me go find it quick...

EDIT:
Here it is! Take a look for yourself, don't let the wall of text scare you away.

[COLLAPSE="Toad Essay"]Toad… one of the most iconic characters of the Mario series and a popular group that has been with the series since its beginning. Does Toad deserve a playable spot on the roster of a future Super Smash Bros. game? Of course!

First of all, I want to make this clear. I am not a Toad fanboy… I am simply defending Toad, a character that has been shot down by many throughout the years for many dumb, ignorant reasons. It bugs to to see that there are many people who believe that he literally has no chance of appearing at all, or that it is very unlikely compared to other Mario characters. I just want to clear up this misunderstanding.

NOW... why is Toad a perfectly viable (and likely) candidate for a future Super Smash Bros.?

-

First, let us discuss the history of the little Mushroom Retainer, and where he got his fame, popularity, and significance to the series.

Toad debuted in the first ever Super Mario game Super Mario Bros. on the NES, the game that really kicked off the series and catapulted it toward the fame it claims today. Since this game, Toad has appeared in some way in pretty much every single one of the series' major titles. That already is a lot more than many other characters from the series can say.

Throughout these games, Toad has taken on the role of the advice-giver, the distressed character in need of saving, and in at least two major Mario titles, Super Mario Bros. 2 for the NES and New Super Mario Bros. Wii for the Wii, he has been playable. Not to mention that he was the star of the NES/SNES puzzle game Wario's Woods. Toad appears frequently in most of Mario's platformers, and has been especially frequent within the Super Mario Galaxy games, where the Toad Brigade joins Mario on many occasions throughout his adventures.

This doesn't even include the Mario Spin-off titles. Toad has appeared as a playable character in a big chunk of Mario spin-offs, and in a few others, he has taken the role of the game's host in one way or another. Toad is one of the "Mario Big Eight," (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Wario, Bowser, and Toad), the eight characters that have appeared in the majority of Mario spin-off titles since their beginning, and still appear quite frequently. Notice that Toad is the only character in the "Mario Big Eight" to not be represented in Smash.

Despite Toad's vast popularity, fame, and involvement with the series, many continue to argue that his "small roles" are what is bringing him down. They fail to even consider the idea that having "small roles" won't always hurt a character's chances. Toad may not have some of the biggest, most important roles in the games, but you definitely cannot say he is unimportant to the series. If you say this, you are ignoring the fact that he has appeared in pretty much every major Mario title and spin-off since the beginning of the series' entire existence. You are ignoring the fact that he has become an iconic character of the series and possibly even of Nintendo in general.

It really baffles me how people can say that Fawful is more deserving because he is "more important." I also find find it funny that people who argue in favor of Fawful over Toad use the argument that he is newer and therefore more recognizable among younger fans. They seem to be neglecting the fact that Toad is well-known not only among younger fans, but of anyone who has ever played any major Mario game no matter how old they are. Sure, being newer doesn't hurt, and being the villain of three Mario games is an important role, but is that really important to the series as a whole? Is he iconic? Is he as well-known, familiar, recognizable or popular as Toad? Ask anyone even remotely familiar with Mario who Toad is, they will more than likely know. You can't do the same with Fawful. Imagine the reaction of Toad's removal from the series compared to the reaction of Fawful never returning again...

Another thing that I find strange is when people who support Bowser Jr. shoot down Toad because of his "diminishing, small roles" within the games. What about Bowser Jr.? The only major role he has ever had in any game was in Super Mario Sunshine for the GCN. Since then, he has been nothing but a mini-boss, and a character who occasionally shows up a taunts the player in games like New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Toad's role has actually grown quite a lot recently... he has had his first playable appearance in any mainstream Mario game since Super Mario Bros. 2 in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and has appeared more (plus with a more interesting role) in the Super Mario Galaxy games than in any previous 3D Mario Platformer. Honestly, how can anyone that supports Bowser Jr. bash Toad's "diminishing role" without blatantly ignoring these facts?

So, what have we learned so far? Being iconic and significant to a series in general is more important than being important to a small fraction of the series' games. We've also learned that having a small role in any specific game(s) of the series really doesn't matter when compared to the character's overall significance to the series, as well as their popularity and familiarity among all gamers and many non-gamers alike.

-

That last section was the big one. I think I made my point quite clear. Now, on to different subject. One argument in particular that still bugs me is the "generic species" argument.

The argument that Toad is a "generic species" is incredibly ignorant. First of all, we all know this. Toad is a part of a generic species, no one is trying to hide it. The fact is that in this case, it doesn't really matter. Take Yoshi for example. Besides in the Mario Spin-off titles, was there ever just a single Yoshi? No, the player has always controlled a Yoshi. Never THE Yoshi. Yoshi always appears as a generic species, and yet he has his place on the Smash Bros. roster. Why does the idea seem so ridiculous in Toad's case? Honestly, I'd like to know. It really baffles me.

Now just for a second, let's take a look at the Mario Spin-off titles. Obviously, being a part of the "Mario Big Eight," both Yoshi and Toad have appeared in the majority of these titles. When you see Yoshi in Mario Kart, you don't think "Hey, there's a Yoshi," do you? It's always "Hey, there's Yoshi." The same goes for Toad. In the spin-offs, and in games like Super Mario Bros. 2 and Wario's Woods it always seems as if you are playing as THE Toad rather than just any random Toad. This illusion of playing as THE Yoshi or THE Toad rather than a Yoshi or a Toad is what allows them to break free of their "generic species" status when it is appropriate. Having "broken free," Toad is able to appear alone in a game like Smash without being a Toad, but rather THE Toad.

Now, I know someone will argue that, by this logic, Goomba and Koopa are appropriate choices for a future Smash. This is not true... they have appeared in the spin-off titles, but not enough to have "broken free" of generic species status yet. The fact that they appear as generic baddies in large numbers in the majority of Mario games also keeps them within that "generic species" group, unlike Toad and Yoshi.

What have we learned from this? The "generic species" argument is a worthless, ignorant argument against Toad. Don't try it.

-

One final point that I'd like to address is the argument that Toad is an unoriginal, un-unique (is that a word???) character that lacks moveset potential. I find this laughably false.

First of all, Toad is probably one of the most unique Mario characters not represented in Smash. I can't even fathom how Bowser Jr. supporters can use this argument against Toad when Bowser Jr. is basically a mini Bowser. What other major character in the Mario universe resembles Toad?

Second, let's talk about Toad's playstyle and moveset potential. Being a small character, Toad is known for being very quick, but he is also known for seeming to have superhuman strength as seen in Super Mario Bros. 2. Being a small and quick yet strong character is something not seen often, and could present a unique play-style. Now what about his moveset?

Many moves from the games he has been playable in can be looked at in determining this. Notice that in the three games where he appears as a playable protagonist, the gameplay involves lifting things and throwing/dropping them. This is one obvious ability that Toad could acquire; lifting and throwing characters. The charged high-jump from Super Mario Bros. 2 is another possibility for a move, a move that would probably be utilized as an Up-B recovery move. In Wario's Woods, Toad is given bombs to throw, another possible move. He could also use the new power-ups found in New Super Mario Bros. Wii as an assortment of abilities, not to mention abilities found in Mario spin-off titles. And don't forget that there are many moves that could be designed specially for Toad without making him seem out of character. With this in mind, plus the fact that there are many different elements throughout the Mario series from which he could borrow his moves, you can't deny that Toad does indeed have moveset potential.

What have we learned here? We know that Toad is an original, unique character that could have a different sort of play-style as well as having good potential for a moveset.

-

How about a quick recap. What have we learned?
-Being iconic and significant to a series in general is more important than being important to a small fraction of the series' games. We've also learned that having a small role in any specific game(s) of the series really doesn't matter when compared to the character's overall significance to the series, as well as their popularity and familiarity among all gamers and many non-gamers alike
-The "generic species" argument is a worthless, ignorant argument against Toad. Don't try it.
-We know that Toad is an original, unique character that could have a different sort of play-style as well as having good potential for a moveset.

Any other concerns?

I think I just about covered everything. Please note, that while I did attack Bowser Jr. several times, I do not deny the great possibility of him joining the playable roster in a future Smash. I'd actually put him on or near the same level as Toad, and I wouldn't even be surprised to see both appear.

But I'm here right now to defend Toad.

Just look at everything Toad has going for him. You can't say he is unlikely, or has no chance... in fact it is quite the opposite. This is a character that is popular, familiar, and recognizable among anyone remotely familiar with Mario, as well as unique, original, and iconic of its series and possibly even iconic of Nintendo itself. This is a character that has been a part of the series since the beginning of its existence and is still going strong. If a character like this doesn't deserve to be in Smash, the really, I don't know who does. [/COLLAPSE]

If that's too much of a read for you, then here's a snippet that applies to the current conversation. I'd just read this part if I were you, unless you are truly interested in the entire essay.

One final point that I'd like to address is the argument that Toad is an unoriginal, un-unique (is that a word???) character that lacks moveset potential. I find this laughably false.

First of all, Toad is probably one of the most unique Mario characters not represented in Smash. I can't even fathom how Bowser Jr. supporters can use this argument against Toad when Bowser Jr. is basically a mini Bowser. What other major character in the Mario universe resembles Toad?

Second, let's talk about Toad's playstyle and moveset potential. Being a small character, Toad is known for being very quick, but he is also known for seeming to have superhuman strength as seen in Super Mario Bros. 2. Being a small and quick yet strong character is something not seen often, and could present a unique play-style. Now what about his moveset?

Many moves from the games he has been playable in can be looked at in determining this. Notice that in the three games where he appears as a playable protagonist, the gameplay involves lifting things and throwing/dropping them. This is one obvious ability that Toad could acquire; lifting and throwing characters. The charged high-jump from Super Mario Bros. 2 is another possibility for a move, a move that would probably be utilized as an Up-B recovery move. In Wario's Woods, Toad is given bombs to throw, another possible move. He could also use the new power-ups found in New Super Mario Bros. Wii as an assortment of abilities, not to mention abilities found in Mario spin-off titles. And don't forget that there are many moves that could be designed specially for Toad without making him seem out of character. With this in mind, plus the fact that there are many different elements throughout the Mario series from which he could borrow his moves, you can't deny that Toad does indeed have moveset potential.

What have we learned here? We know that Toad is an original, unique character that could have a different sort of play-style as well as having good potential for a moveset.

Williamt101

Smash Rookie
Uhh I would like to weigh in here, the people who claim daisy is a peach clone need to check again because last time I checked the only similarities between them is that they wear a dress. Daisy has earned her right as a main Mario character and I was appalled when I saw that she was not in brawl but diddy kong was. Even waluigi got to be an assist trophy. Just because she wasn't in the original first Mario games does not give anyone the right to downgrade her as a clone of peach. If she is not in the next smash bros I will be infuriated.

:phone:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Uhh I would like to weigh in here, the people who claim daisy is a peach clone need to check again because last time I checked the only similarities between them is that they wear a dress. Daisy has earned her right as a main Mario character and I was appalled when I saw that she was not in brawl but diddy kong was. Even waluigi got to be an assist trophy. Just because she wasn't in the original first Mario games does not give anyone the right to downgrade her as a clone of peach. If she is not in the next smash bros I will be infuriated.

Nice first post.

I hope you're just trolling.

I don't really think any of the arguments concerning series importance are really relevant. As far as I can tell, Sakurai has added characters to the games based on popularity alone (starting with Melee, excluding some of the clones), including the Assist trophies, to his discretion. Daisy doesn't have the popularity of Waluigi.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Nice first post.

I hope you're just trolling.

I don't really think any of the arguments concerning series importance are really relevant. As far as I can tell, Sakurai has added characters to the games based on popularity alone (starting with Melee, excluding some of the clones), including the Assist trophies, to his discretion. Daisy doesn't have the popularity of Waluigi.
This.

Also the fact he was appalled at Daisy getting in over an All-Star like Diddy.

Williamt101

Smash Rookie
Well it just doesn't seem fair that pretty much every Mario character gets added excluding daisy. I mean she is pretty much Peach's sidekick as is waluigi to wario, diddy kong to donkey kong, and even luigi to Mario.
I guess I just don't understand why not being in an original Mario game as opposed to the more popular spinoffs gets you rejected access to other games

And yes game importance obviously is a factor according to all the people making excuses on why she doesn't deserve to be in the game.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
And yes game importance obviously is a factor according to all the people making excuses on why she doesn't deserve to be in the game.

Because they became their own series. First off within the Mario series we have the 4 big names:
Hero: Mario
Sidekick: Luigi
Damsel: Peach
Villain: Bowser

They make up the Mario series. Without them, the game isn't quite right. We've seen 1 be missing in some games, but anymore and a Mario game isn't as much a Mario game. (I found that Daisy's first game seems to be an exception with only Mario being mentioned)

For the spin offs:
Donkey Kong is a huge series now. Having many games comparable to the amount Zelda and Metroid have. With Diddy Kong appearing since Donkey Kong Country. He's a huge character. His importance to Donkey Kong is Luigi to Mario. Falco to Fox, Sidekick to Hero. He's even the hero of his own game. Which from what I've seen, is quoted as the superior game.
Yoshi and Wario have also had successful spin off series. Wario especially with WarioLand and WarioWare. Yoshi seems to be more of a cameo and trademark Nintendo character. Both huge to Nintendo being the friendly ally(Yoshi) and rival(Wario) to Mario.

And we can't have one series have too many characters, it would throw off the balance of representation. Yes Daisy has been in a mainstream title of Mario, however the role was of the damsel in distress which would have been a color swap and name change of Peach to diversify the game. Peach took the role back afterward. She's only appeared in party games since. She's not major to the Mario series. I wouldn't call her an All Star at all. Especially not above unrepresented characters such as Bowser Jr, Toad, Paper Mario, even Waluigi for how unique of a character he is.

Williamt101

Smash Rookie
Just because she doesn't look strange doesn't mean she's not diverse enough, bowser jr and toad should not ever be put in a fighting game. And not only is daisy in almost all Mario parties, she is included in every Mario sports game. (which in my opinion are much more fun)

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Just because she doesn't look strange doesn't mean she's not diverse enough, bowser jr and toad should not ever be put in a fighting game. And not only is daisy in almost all Mario parties, she is included in every Mario sports game. (which in my opinion are much more fun)

I don't have a clue what you mean by saying just because she's not strange. Is that in relation to Waluigi? She's not diverse enough because shes pretty much a color swap of peach (not in brawl, but in the earlier games). Yes she could have a sports moveset, but again she's not a mario All Star. Without her the series would pretty much be the same. Why shouldn't they be in a fighting game? Toad's been at least a part of all Mario Parties, was playable in Super Mario Bros 2 (he fought things) and New Super Mario Bros Wii (again he fought things). Bowser Jr. may not fight as close up in recent games. But In Super Mario Sunshine he encountered Mario face to face with his brush many times throughout the game. Toad has also been around since the very first Mario game. He was even the main hero in Wario's Woods. Toad's very influential towards the series being around as long as Peach and Bowser have. Bowser Jr. has become one of the primary villains of the series. He's always causign mischief through out each game since Mario Sunshine (sadly not 3D Land and New Super Mario Bros 2...) But he has fought in some way in every game he appears.
Yes she's in the sports games and party games, but the characters in smash are generally adventures. They have gone out fought done things for good or evil and have influenced their own series in some manner (with a few minor exceptions). Daisy hasn't adventured. She hasn't saved anyone or been the villain. She's a Mario character that has appeared in mario spin offs. Could the party and sports games get a rep? yes, but that would be better suited for Waluigi who joined the party games in 3, and have since stuck around. In sports Waluigi is there every time too. Except for the newest Mario Kart I think it's just Daisy. But in terms of who is more diverse Waluigi is far more unique of a character, with Daisy being similar to Peach. We already have a princess, we don't have a tall raging lunatic that says "WAAA" all the time.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Daisy hasn't really been flashed out as her own character as much as Waluigi has, and she isn't as popular as Waluigi. However, for the most part, they share consistent appearances in the Mario Spin-offs, so they are about equal in that department. I'm all for Waluigi if they make him hilarious, but i still want Paper Mario the most...can we please just have 3 new Mario reps? Haha

Williamt101

Smash Rookie
You proved absolutely nothing in this essay except for the fact that you think daisy is a color swap of peach.
It makes me wonder why luigi is in it if he is more similar in looks and actions to Mario than daisy is to peach.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You proved absolutely nothing in this essay except for the fact that you think daisy is a color swap of peach.
It makes me wonder why luigi is in it if he is more similar in looks and actions to Mario than daisy is to peach.

That would be because Luigi is FAR more important than Daisy to the Mario series, and Daisy is basically the female counterpart to Luigi as in: she is the mirror image to him that Peach is to Mario. Add that to the fact that she doesn't have nearly the same popularity of the other front running Mario Characters considered, and that should explain at least part of the case against Daisy

And i for one think that Ember Reaper did a fine job of explaining the difference between Daisy and the rest of the Mario characters, or at least the four already in Smash Bros.

D

Deleted member

Long story short:

Mario-Main hero
Luigi-Sidekick
Peach-Damsel in distress
Bowser-Main villain

Daisy-Substitute damsel in distress in one game, then one of many characters in multiplayer sports/karts/parties, etc, where she is overshadowed by the likes of Waluigi.

Daisy is not as important as you think she is.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
That would be because Luigi is FAR more important than Daisy to the Mario series, and Daisy is basically the female counterpart to Luigi as in: she is the mirror image to him that Peach is to Mario. Add that to the fact that she doesn't have nearly the same popularity of the other front running Mario Characters considered, and that should explain at least part of the case against Daisy

And i for one think that Ember Reaper did a fine job of explaining the difference between Daisy and the rest of the Mario characters, or at least the four already in Smash Bros.
Thanks!! I tried rather hard to get all the facts correct and unbiased.
It bothers me that Williamt only saw one point that was minor compared to the others

jigglover

Smash Lord
And yet, Luigi has never appeared in a single main mario game with Daisy...

Williamt101

Smash Rookie
Yeah I saw the rest of the essay but it was all centered around how daisy isn't as important as the other Mario crew. Even if she doesn't have as big of a fan base, she doesn't deserve to be shunned from smash bros. She has earned her spot by her unique attitude and her unfair absence in games doesn't mean that she should not be in the more to come.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Actually Daisy at least has personality. That might help her over Waluigi who is just a skinny and tall Wario.

Daisy is a tomboy while Peach is a girly-girl.
Wario is that jerk who wants money. Waluigi is just a tall skinny jerk that wants money.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I saw the rest of the essay but it was all centered around how daisy isn't as important as the other Mario crew. Even if she doesn't have as big of a fan base, she doesn't deserve to be shunned from smash bros. She has earned her spot by her unique attitude and her unfair absence in games doesn't mean that she should not be in the more to come.

...Because she's not! She's just not as important. she's appeared as trophies in Melee and Brawl, she is not shunned. She is respected as a character, but she doesn't have the influence of the other characters.

@SmasherMaster
no Waluigi doesn't really want money. He wants to be better than Luigi, to be recognized essentially. He's not so much a jerk as ridiculous.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
She may not deserve to be shunned, but there are several other characters who deserve to be in over her. I don't know that are too many characters that are "undeserving" to get in, but there are many MANY more that deserve it over her.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Well, then why in Mario Super Sluggers, he goes is guarding a chest and don't want you to have it?

Williamt101

Smash Rookie
She would be respected as a character if she was actually a playable character! I don't know why or how waluigi has a bigger fanbase, but all I know is that his personality is literally equal to wario's. Just because their posteriors are polar opposites doesn't mean that he has a unique personality. Whereas Daisy is constantly distinguished as more of a tomboy than peach and her attitude reflects it. And all waluigi has is his quirky grunts that could be interpreted into human language as easy as jynx's could.

D

Deleted member

Actually Daisy at least has personality. That might help her over Waluigi who is just a skinny and tall Wario.
There is only one game where Waluigi shows any greed, and that's Super Sluggers. It's not a defining characteristic of Waluigi as it is Wario.

Wario is the guy that puts money over anything and everything else. He's also a glutton and is a lover of toilet humor. Wario is an aggressive competitor, but shows indifference outside of competitions. While Wario is shown to be arrogant and egotistical, he's willing to do the right thing....for the right price.

Waluigi is the epitomy of self-pity. He is spiteful towards everyone, and easily angered even over the slightest of circumstances (whereas Wario is usually only angered when money is involved.) Waluigi is also constantly pointing out his own disadvantages, something Wario would never do. Waluigi is also shown to be more sinister than Wario, who just lives by greed.

To say Waluigi is just a tall skinny Wario is like saying Luigi is just a slightly taller Mario.

Mario: Heroic and stoic
Luigi: Cowardly and insecure
Wario: Greedy and egotistical
Waluigi: Spiteful and self-pitying

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think you could include Geno's role in SMBRPG as a heroic stereotype as well...

Since the star beings are the ones that deemed Mario as the hero of the mushroom kingdom, as well as the other star children.

However, during Smithies reign, Geno - while as wise and noble as the other star beings - as a little rash and believed only the power of the star beings could save mushroomkind of his machine race, and restore the power of the star road. He went so far as to travel on his own and ignore the aid of Mario, the chosen hero, at first.

Geno is basically the Tyrael of the Mario world

His personality is a little like Piccolo, where he is often wise and patient but also arrogant with his knowledge and strength to the point of punishing those that dare defy him.

I really like my interpretation of the cannonity of the Mario universe

jigglover

Smash Lord
Just thinking out loud here, but since we can have only one mario character in 4, and a super mario world remake comes out in the latter part of the break until smash 5, would Daisy not be a popular inclusion? Since she would then be relevant in main-stream games again?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Just thinking out loud here, but since we can have only one mario character in 4, and a super mario world remake comes out in the latter part of the break until smash 5, would Daisy not be a popular inclusion? Since she would then be relevant in main-stream games again?
Who said we can only have 1 Mario character?

Top Bottom