• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sig Critique Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zephron

Smash Ace
I haven't touched PS in months

Seems everyone is CnC covered

Well It's not finished yet, but can I have some advice on how to fix it and how to finish it **looks a bit brighter in PS which looks better imo :/

I agree with the left side. If you want to keep that simplistic look, give it a similar colored design that flows well with the theme but keep it the same color, and make it look like someone "etched" it into the background. Hard to explain, hope you get what I'm trying to say.

Also, idk maybe blur the render a bit. I seem to hate pixel-ish things.

Someone critique this for me please.

I think it's a bit too... flashy, but idk.
Also if you're curious why Falco's lazer is suddenly a flamethrower, it's because someone told me they wanted a "red" theme, and I was thinking of Samus' Final Smash at the time.

Thanks.

kiefsgirl_haha

Smash Rookie
GIMP or Photoshop? Cause thats real good for a first sig. >_> :)

And I think it Might be a little big... Usually I use 380(w) by 127-130(h) But every person is different...

The text needs work, and yes most people on smashboards can read 12 font ;)

And I'm not sure if grunge sigs are still instyle but, its a real good start. :D
photoshop. i forgot to mention that.

but thank you.
and i wanted the text kinda big i guess :p

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
Post some tuts. >_>

I'm really new to PS in general. I make almost all my stuff from scraps... Is that bad? Should I be using my brush and not just effects?

This was character themed btw. I use Smoth for my tag... Or Shadow Moth (obviously).

The frost and snow effects were brushes though.

Shök

Smash Champion

You should be using both your brush and your effects wisely.

Hmmm, I like what you're attempting to do, but it's not coherent.

The tag, in general, is too big. More of the render should be more visible. Also, the backround is too repetitive. Like you said, you used the same brush for the backround. Try not to do that. The font catches more attention that the render in this case. This should be avoided as well unless the tag is more font based.

It's okay, but it can be a lot better.

Zephron

Smash Ace
You have way too much text, there's a lot of similar colors, too. My eyes kind of wash over with teal.

Also, the renders or something makes it appear very sharp looking. Probably the background.

I basically try to use with PS a balance of C4D's, Brushes, and Stock Photos. Effects aren't used that often, they try to compliment the things I've made already.

I suggest you first use less text, or at least make it less flashy and sharp, and try to snug it down into a corner or something.

Besides the text, the render, and 1 little background photo, there isn't much going on here. Use brushes and blend some more stock photos or something to make a more pleasing background.

Also, no one critiqued my sig. Please do. Still up thar on page 6.

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
People keep criticizing my render...

I was going for the sharp, stand out-y effect. I really just wanted advice on what to add and what to remove. And if I could've improved the way I made the render stand out.

BTW this was the whole render.

The Dinkoman

Smash Lord
@Sadow Moth: The render is bad because there is waaaaaay to much space between the arms and swords.

If you want a render standing out feel you need a more elaborate back ground... Take the sig that I made on page 6 or 5 for example.

Sorry about that ^_^;;

The "Phire" is a tad distracting. Text is ok, in my perspective. And the border is alright. Other than that there is nothing to complain about.

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
@Sadow Moth: The render is bad because there is waaaaaay to much space between the arms and swords.

If you want a render standing out feel you need a more elaborate back ground... Take the sig that I made on page 6 or 5 for example.

T_T

Couldn't find an icy CD4...

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
If you're new to PS and are still looking to collect some C4Ds, check out this. Deviantart has loads of great C4Ds.

OSHI-

ぼくわとてもうれし!
ありがとう!

You just saved me countless hours of searching google. Literally countless.

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
Credit me, I made it (in twenty minutes lol). I have the original pic too if you want. Here it is.

If you like Youmu (the girl in the render) I have so many more where that came from.

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
._.

I have well over 200 images of Touhou characters and a nearly infinite resource of new ones (might as well be infinite. I'm never gonna catch up to the point where I'm waiting for the next one).
I'd post the link but there's some inappropriate content.

But sure, I'll make some .rar files and post the links

Edit: Youmu- http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XKITGC68

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Someone critique this for me please.

Text placement could be higher and closer to the focal. The whole thing looks too one-sided. Maybe crop off a bit from the right to center Falco a bit and even everything out. I feel like there could be more emphasis on Falco because I'm sure you want people looking at him, rather than focusing on "ooh pretty fire thingy". Highlight him with some C4D's or soft brushes on linear dodge, etc.

And Zeprhon, for future reference, don't listen to what Dinkoman says. He hardly knows what he's talking about since he doesn't know what a good tag looks like.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Ya rly. Pretty good in your opinion but not an experienced tagger's opinion.
Dinkoman has a reputation for being too encouraging to tags that aren't good to begin with.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*

I tried a new style on this one.
There's not much focus on luc, and he should be the focal
almost no depth
the little logo/text is pretty fail
the render isn't blended with the bg at all
it's really boring

i do like the bg and burning/dodging
the colors work well

hmmm... ¿CNC por favor?

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Zeus, ummm, what were you going for? The flat colors match the flatly colored render, but the bg effect sucks. The only thing that helps is the rays coming from sheik. Text = EWWWWWWW!!!! Render plop? Yes.
Try burning the render a bit, cuz the light is coming from behind and yet there is definitive light on the render, especially on the hair:ohwell:

You can do better.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Zeus, ummm, what were you going for? The flat colors match the flatly colored render, but the bg effect sucks. The only thing that helps is the rays coming from sheik. Text = EWWWWWWW!!!! Render plop? Yes.
Try burning the render a bit, cuz the light is coming from behind and yet there is definitive light on the render, especially on the hair:ohwell:

You can do better.
thank you, sir. I'll definitely work on it after a bit of laddering (they say you're too attached to your art in the first two hours after making it to make any major changes =D)

Inyro Gatling

Smash Journeyman
The splatters distract too much from the focal, as does the text and horribly contrasting background to focal colors. Better colors in the background are the biggest thing to do here, in my opinion.

New ones:

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
haha, I actually heard it about writing, but found that it applies to art as well =P

EDIT: no one new, so erm...

I'll finish my other tonight or tomorrow. for now... cnc?
Pretty much what I said on AiB; one thing I noticed you could do is get rid of the black brushing, and instead replace them with black grunge brushings. Blur them, then set em to merge. It can add a lot more depth, lighting, and attract more of your sig to the focal.

The splatters distract too much from the focal, as does the text and horribly contrasting background to focal colors. Better colors in the background are the biggest thing to do here, in my opinion.

New ones:

Beautiful sig. Vibrant colors, blurred/sharpened parts for depth. One thing I can say is that it looks scratchy all around.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
^V2 ftw, could use some better compo though.
You always say that, and often times that's all you say. :|

@inyro: probably my favorite from you yet. I agree with hente that the placement of some things could be better. It's a tad bit cluttered but it's not really that much of a problem. Overall it might be a bit too bright, but I think that's mostly personal preference.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*

Hooray for having nothing better to do.
The compo seems kind of bad and I don't like the mass amounts of purple overlaying the render, try a dif render of dif colors imo. again, don't take me on my word with these real renders w/ fake bgs. I hate them and have a bad eye for the,

totally different. cnc?

Inyro Gatling

Smash Journeyman
Much nicer. Now just kill the text and add some foreground effects. lol Well, that's what I would do, at least. =P

...Okay, I really need to get a life:

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Much nicer. Now just kill the text and add some foreground effects. lol Well, that's what I would do, at least. =P

...Okay, I really need to get a life:

Trash it, I think... If not.... Clean it up, there's too much going on and it's hard to discern what that render is. The flow is pretty interrupted by the vertical smudging or whatever there on the left side (the red one). I'm not much of a wide color range person, so i would suggest simplifying the colors too.

What do you mean fg effects? brushing and sh- stuff?

v2.7:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom