• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3 Project - All Characters Released

Should we release our source PSDs?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Inside the Dev Room

Ever wonder how we decide what new colors to give a character? Let's take someone like...Marth for example. We first go with the 8 Smash U/3DS colors because it's less work for us. From there, we see if any Brawl/Melee/64 colors weren't used and are varied enough from the Smash U set, and add those. After all those options are exhausted, we'll then see what primary color isn't present in that characters line-up. In Marth's case, we noted a lack of purple and warmer tones.

From there, we go looking around for things we can reference unless someone has a random idea (which happened for Marth). If we can't find a suitable reference, then we just "wing it" and design something. If we do find a suitable reference, then we do our best to add elements that'll reference it but still keep most of the design unique compared to the characters other colors. Hence why you're getting Ephraim!Marth and Neku!Marth

I plan to show off a few of the new colors some characters will be getting at some point, so look forward to it. Don't have any pics for you today, as I literally wrote this up on my break at work. We're not dead, far from it, in fact.

Sliquify_Cheeze

Smash Cadet
Well, we're all looking forward to the release, and (most of us) are willing to wait. Just make sure you don't get bogged down by it yeah?

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Inside the Dev Room

Ever wonder how we decide what new colors to give a character? Let's take someone like...Marth for example. We first go with the 8 Smash U/3DS colors because it's less work for us. From there, we see if any Brawl/Melee/64 colors weren't used and are varied enough from the Smash U set, and add those. After all those options are exhausted, we'll then see what primary color isn't present in that characters line-up. In Marth's case, we noted a lack of purple and warmer tones.

From there, we go looking around for things we can reference unless someone has a random idea (which happened for Marth). If we can't find a suitable reference, then we just "wing it" and design something. If we do find a suitable reference, then we do our best to add elements that'll reference it but still keep most of the design unique compared to the characters other colors. Hence why you're getting Ephraim!Marth and Neku!Marth

I plan to show off a few of the new colors some characters will be getting at some point, so look forward to it. Don't have any pics for you today, as I literally wrote this up on my break at work. We're not dead, far from it, in fact.
Do more of these :)

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Do more of these :)
I planned on it.

Inside the Dev Room

Ness and Lucas are both getting their Smash U alts. I'm sure if you count, you'll realize that there's still room for two more colors for both of them. In Lucas' case, his Boney shirt will be taking the place of the Green Team shirt and his Blue Team alt is also getting swapped out for Smash U's Kumatora color. We decided on this as those colors are more team friendly in addition to just being more varied designs in Lucas' color options. His previous blue alt from Brawl was bumped to a different slot, so if it was your favorite, it's still around.

As for Ness, well, I'll talk about him some other time.

Panudroid

Smash Journeyman
Nice. Is this a biweekly thing or are you going to post whenever you have the time?

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
We back in business boys! I'll add these to my preview dropbox thing.

Last edited:

turtletank

Smash Journeyman
Gorgeous as always, Shun.

Could be me, but I think Lucas' eyebrows could do with being a few shades darker - they look a bit... off?

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Inside the Dev Room

Look at that stylish Hylian Hero! So as most of you know, Project M sometimes has double options for team colors and we sort of came up with our own solution for that.

Since Link has two green team slots courtesy of OoT Link and cBliss' green slot, we brainstormed for some ideas and settled on this fellow. Classic NES Link. He should be diversified enough from the standard Link that you won't run into too much confusion when they're both on the field.

This one here is dubbed the "Fairy Tunic". While donning this, Link will find plenty of hearts and fairies...but he takes triple damage. A lot of good such a thing would do in a crisis, right? In Smash, this costume serves as a second Red Team color. I doubt many will actually use it as a Red team color, but the option is there, right?

All that said, I have news! Originally, we were planning one final update, but we've come to a slight change in the plans. The Main Download will still get it's one last hurrah, but in the mean-time, we'll do some smaller stuff on the side. You'll be able to officially download Link's update tomorrow. And as time keeps on going, we'll put out a few more smaller releases to tide you guys over till we update the pack and call this project "done".

EDIT: Link is released. Check the first post!

Last edited:

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Based shun

I miss my black tunic link but ughhhh sooo good, I also need to rub my body all over those renders once they are released full sized.

(also what was done with that hair was just phenomenal)

Last edited:

Cynapse

Smash Ace
I clicked the thingy, opened the .pac, and literally spit out my drink. Today this sticky keyboard finally gets some love.

Panudroid

Smash Journeyman
So....FitLink will contain the updated sword trails. Right?

Last edited:

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
Inside the Dev Room

Look at that stylish Hylian Hero! So as most of you know, Project M sometimes has double options for team colors and we sort of came up with our own solution for that.

Since Link has two green team slots courtesy of OoT Link and cBliss' green slot, we brainstormed for some ideas and settled on this fellow. Classic NES Link. He should be diversified enough from the standard Link that you won't run into too much confusion when they're both on the field.

This one here is dubbed the "Fairy Tunic". While donning this, Link will find plenty of hearts and fairies...but he takes triple damage. A lot of good such a thing would do in a crisis, right? In Smash, this costume serves as a second Red Team color. I doubt many will actually use it as a Red team color, but the option is there, right?

All that said, I have news! Originally, we were planning one final update, but we've come to a slight change in the plans. The Main Download will still get it's one last hurrah, but in the mean-time, we'll do some smaller stuff on the side. You'll be able to officially download Link's update tomorrow. And as time keeps on going, we'll put out a few more smaller releases to tide you guys over till we update the pack and call this project "done".

Oh yeah. Make absolutely certain you click the Cascade for a much closer look at Link, if you know what I mean...
HOLY ****.

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
I just have one question for you all...

https://youtu.be/HTkLA-5j0AA
Wait, that line... that can only mean one thing...

Inside the Dev Room

Oh yeah. Make absolutely certain you click the Cascade for a much closer look at Link, if you know what I mean...
OH MY HYLIA! YES! Link looks super freaking cool! I was looking forward to his revamp the most, and I get to use it tomorrow? Thank you so much Smash 3 team! I can't wait to see what other releases you guys have in store before the big update drops :D

EDIT: I was so excited when I read the post that I initially forgot to take a "closer look". You guys rock!

Last edited:

Aghanim

Smash Apprentice
Inside the Dev Room

The Smash 3 Link update everyone was waiting for!
He's looking better than ever! The work on the textures looks incredible! the specs couldn't look better and the new model is something beyond amazing!

You guys are the best!

That's something no one will notice but I wanted to point it out
http://imgur.com/a/66Ii8

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
I clicked the thingy, opened the .pac, and literally spit out my drink. Today this sticky keyboard finally gets some love.
This is the reaction I was going for, thank you sir.

Would you guys mind posting an ingame pic of Link without the Dolphin filters on? Just curious
That would take more work than I would like to do. But you can see him at the start of this: https://youtu.be/pMIMa9FQuQo

EDIT: Also, look down.

I put it in my Minus build and it soft froze
No idea what particulars exist for Brawl- I'm afraid. I do know that using the FitLink.pac will 100% guarantee a freeze there, as it's the P:M 3.6 data. I need more data to best assist you.

When can we expect the PSD files to drop?
Much later on.

Wait, that line... that can only mean one thing...

OH MY HYLIA! YES! Link looks super freaking cool! I was looking forward to his revamp the most, and I get to use it tomorrow? Thank you so much Smash 3 team! I can't wait to see what other releases you guys have in store before the big update drops :D

EDIT: I was so excited when I read the post that I initially forgot to take a "closer look". You guys rock!
Good. You remembered the importance of Date Masamune! Keep it in mind for the future all of you peeps

And here I was wondering if anyone would just completely gloss over that part.

Last edited:

Obskore

Smash Ace
can we expect the Smash 3 HUD / UI and Menus (the grid) to be updated? i remember the past Smash 3 HUD had graphics from the 3DS version and the Wii U textures have been available for quite a while now

also, that new Link's is so pretty and shiny, the sages should be jelous

Top Bottom