• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Smash 4 Question and Answer Thread

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Got a question anout the smash poll thing.

Can you vote for more than one?

It said "please limit your vote to one person"

Does it mean 1 at a time? Or does it mean one vote only?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I personally haven't tried it yet @ Smashoperatingbuddy123 Smashoperatingbuddy123 , I'm still thinking on which character to vote for. But once I do I'll let you know. Otherwise, another user might be able to answer your question first.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Got a question anout the smash poll thing.

Can you vote for more than one?

It said "please limit your vote to one person"

Does it mean 1 at a time? Or does it mean one vote only?
Try to vote too many times (about 5 or so) in succession and they will block you temporarily. I found this the hard way.

:231:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Try to vote too many times (about 5 or so) in succession and they will block you temporarily. I found this the hard way.

:231:
Thanks

I start with 3 vote then.

Does ip address matter?

Oh and i think you voted to fast as well they caught on.

So im going to take it nice and slow of getting every dlc i would vote for.

Last edited:

flexexp

Smash Rookie
I am fairly new to the experience and the addiction is real! I love it and I love that this community is so dedicated and passionate towards Smash!

Anyways. My question right now is simple. I have a big problem with is after a jump or being smashed up....I never seem to land and face my opponent. So as soon as I land I may try to Shield or attack at times and my back is wide open. What can I press/do to make sure when I land from a jump/fall that I am facing my opponent?? Thanks guys.

bozocamp

Smash Rookie
my friend trying to convince me that hes getting beaten by amiibo online. When you go to For Fun mode and For glory mode can you use a amiibo and let the amiibo play for you against stangers?
And also are there "hacked" characters?
my friend the type of person to make excuses for his loses

HallowKaz

Smash Cadet
NNID
HallowKaz
3DS FC
2938-8929-4909
To get better you practice!

You should try to main characters you like not OP characters like everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

TepigBlaster

Smash Rookie
NNID
pokemanzez123
I was wondering what the font was for the SSB4 Character reveal screens, I heard it was DynaFont, but I need it for FREE.Please Help.

DarkJosh

Smash Cadet
So, I decided I want to write a character guide (As in how to play the character well), and make it a good one. So at what point do you guys recommend I start it?
Like should I get this many battles/wins or whatever till I'm experienced enough

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
So, I decided I want to write a character guide (As in how to play the character well), and make it a good one. So at what point do you guys recommend I start it?
Like should I get this many battles/wins or whatever till I'm experienced enough
One thing is to Learn different mains. Send them a link here for a main: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awiDt2Kw8Jw
The other thing is to fight cpu's at least level 5 at first and keep fighting them until they are completely easy, then advance to level 6 and so on If you have nobody to play with. If you would like, PM me for more support on what to write unless if this is enough.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
A bit of speculation/wishful thinking on my part (and I know this isn't a new question, hence my talking about it here)...

Do you think they'll be able/willing to make two separate options for Custom Moves versus Custom Equipment in an upcoming patch? It was be so much better and less confusing/challenging for them to be definitively split apart from one another.

Then again, do you think maybe it's just hard-coded so it can't be altered with a simple patch? Or maybe it's just not a priority? I dunno. I just wish Equipment wasn't a factor...

Nate22Hill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate22Hill
what should frames be used for? should i memorize my mains frames or every characters frames, or both

Staticky

Smash Cadet
Can I find the Dreamland stage music from Melee in Smash 4?
I have an obsession with the music in any Smash game. All I've found is one track on Halberd that is a metal version of Dreamland, but not the original.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Can I find the Dreamland stage music from Melee in Smash 4?
I have an obsession with the music in any Smash game. All I've found is one track on Halberd that is a metal version of Dreamland, but not the original.
Melee green greens, find discs during a match, and do challanges. N64 dreamland, no.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
What can I press/do to make sure when I land from a jump/fall that I am facing my opponent?? Thanks guys.
Are you turning when you land? Or do you land in the same direction you where in the air?
When you go to For Fun mode and For glory mode can you use a amiibo and let the amiibo play for you against stangers?
And also are there "hacked" characters?
my friend the type of person to make excuses for his loses
As I mentioned in your thread, no, you can't use amiibos in For Glory or For Fun.
what should frames be used for? should i memorize my mains frames or every characters frames, or both
It's not necessary to learn frame data but it is definitely nice to learn since it gives you an idea of how characters work at an intricate level.

:227:

Last edited:

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
how do I beat Duck Hunt?
Pressure him. His force is his projectile game, so always be in his face and don't let him get anything going.

What can I press/do to make sure when I land from a jump/fall that I am facing my opponent?? Thanks guys.
There's no trick, simply pivot when you land. You might want to land far from the opponent to give you time, depending of the situation. Sometimes, air dodging is helpful to land safely (pressing the shield button in the air). If you're falling, pressing the shield button right before touching the ground lets you ''tech'' (get up immediately), but you can also roll to one side or another. There ain't really anything you can do, just land safely and turn around if you're not facing the right side. You can also do a Fsmash backwards, a Ftilt backwards, or a Bair to cover your back, but be careful because you could get punished for it. I'm not sure if I understand the question correctly, but that would be my answer.

When you go to For Fun mode and For glory mode can you use a amiibo and let the amiibo play for you against stangers? And also are there "hacked" characters?
No.

So at what point do you guys recommend I start it?
(I don't know what level you're at, so this is nothing personnal) Since a guide is meant to help other less experienced players, it needs to be rigorous and in depth. You want every single information in it to be as accurate as possible, not to mislead any potential reader. Guides are (ideally) written by experienced players for this reason. If you feel comfortable with it, you can try, but if you're asking, you're probably not ready to write one.

You have to know every move of the character extensively, know the match-ups, know how he performs on the different stages, etc. Tournament experience is preferable, because you can give concrete examples of when to use certain moves, based on observed situations. You should be theorycrafting the less you can, and try to resort to facts and tested gameplay.

Don't be afraid to ask the help of other players, either for writing the guide, or for reviewing it, before posting it. This way you can rule out flaws, adjust, add important things you might have forgotten, and have different opinions. This is not mandatory, but it's a plus.

However, it depends on what type of guide you plan to write. If it's a guide to help new players learn a character from scratch, you can be less precise than if it's an advanced guide with complex strategies and information. Just be sure to specify that.

It never hurts to memorize frames, but that's not necessary, even at a very high level, because you kind of '''learn'' them by playing against them. It's simply a nice tool you can use. If your character's Ftilt comes out at frame 10, and the opponent's comes out at frame 7, don't try to challenge it. If your smash has 30 frames of ending lag, it might be a bad idea to simply throw it like that when you're not punishing. If your move comes out frame 1, it's great for spacing. Frames are useful to know this kind of stuff. As I said, however, it's only useful to get concrete numbers on these moves, but a human cannot accurately calculate every single move's frames during a game. It's more a guide than anything else. And, without knowing the precise numbers, you'll get an idea of the timing simply by playing the game, and you'll learn the frames without actually learning them. With all that said, it's still a good idea to look at frame data from time to time.

mat7772

Smash Cadet
Wii U LAN adapter question

If I have multiple members using my wifi by watching youtube videos etc, on my wii u does the connection come from the Wii U Lan adapter ONLY, and not the wifi? So there will be no lag or connection issues?

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace

If I have multiple members using my wifi by watching youtube videos etc, on my wii u does the connection come from the Wii U Lan adapter ONLY, and not the wifi? So there will be no lag or connection issues?
The LAN adapter is needed for wifi, so it is using your wifi. unless i'm mistaken (because I don't own a wii u). why do you ask? just curious?

rosetta_stoned

Smash Apprentice
A question regarding future updates.

Has lan tournament mode been confirmed?

Thought it was but heard some contradictory info to this so i was wondering what the DL was on this. Anyone know or can direct me? Can only find info on previous patches not future ones.

Thanks.

mat7772

Smash Cadet
The LAN adapter is needed for wifi, so it is using your wifi. unless i'm mistaken (because I don't own a wii u). why do you ask? just curious?
I have family members who love to use the wifi lots, as a result it can lag when I play a few people

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I have family members who love to use the wifi lots, as a result it can lag when I play a few people
I see. well It may be opponents. My wifi is a piece of crap, but it is strong holding up to 20 devices at once for my family (1 kindle, my 3ds, 2 xbox 360's, 3 laptops, 7 phones/tablets) So test it out by playing with your friends that have better wifi than you and test it out. if it IS you, then your opton to make it non laggy is to buy a way better wifi box.

mat7772

Smash Cadet
I see. well It may be opponents. My wifi is a piece of crap, but it is strong holding up to 20 devices at once for my family (1 kindle, my 3ds, 2 xbox 360's, 3 laptops, 7 phones/tablets) So test it out by playing with your friends that have better wifi than you and test it out. if it IS you, then your opton to make it non laggy is to buy a way better wifi box.
None of my rl friends play smash =(
But this is only when I play a few people, so I'm starting to think it's not on my end

rosetta_stoned

Smash Apprentice

You have been given incorrect information.

The wii lan adapter is to HARDWIRE your wii u so your NOT using wifi. This is a very good thing and is ideal for a game like sm4ash. Keep in mind however that the lag situation is only half up to you, but something as simple and as effective as this is definitely worth doing.

I would go as far to say that its a must for anyone using the online features of this game on any sort of regular basis. If you have a hard time finding it locally like I did I bought a new one off amazon for $8.

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace

The wii lan adapter is to HARDWIRE your wii u so your NOT using wifi. This is a very good thing and is ideal for a game like sm4ash. Keep in mind however that the lag situation is only half up to you, but something as simple and as effective as this is definitely worth doing.

I would go as far to say that its a must for anyone using the online features of this game on any sort of regular basis. If you have a hard time finding it locally like I did I bought a new one off amazon for $8.
Wii U master Right here! Like I said, I don't own a wii U so Idk.

Excelion

Smash Rookie
NNID
Excelion1
Question, is there any frame sheet for Luigi, Rosalina, and Wario? Make that a frame analysis if I may ask?

mat7772

Smash Cadet

Ah ok thanks. I thought at first I was right, but just had to confirm. I'll probably get it, thanks =)

Dagon97

Smash Journeyman
Question, is there any frame sheet for Luigi, Rosalina, and Wario? Make that a frame analysis if I may ask?
Search on the individual character threads for frame data and there is a massive thread containing all the frame data in the game but I don't have the link

nOPE™

Smash Rookie
Speaking of internet:

Does anyone have a guess at what should be a sufficient upload speed (not download) for this game online? I can only get 700 kbps to 1 Mbps upload speed, 14 Mbps download. I know upload and download speed is not the only thing you need to establish a good connection but I am curious because there is horrible input lag, I got the ethernet hardwire adapter and made the Wii U the DMZ but still no luck (I'm going to try to mess with TV settings next).

Last edited:

xxsoc

Smash Rookie
On my 3ds the replay channel continuously repeats the same replay for a character. On my wii u it works properly. I was wondering if this is a known issue or if it's a problem with my game since I couldn't find anything about it on google or mentioned in bug lists.

Link24242

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4184-3214-6215
On my 3ds the replay channel continuously repeats the same replay for a character. On my wii u it works properly. I was wondering if this is a known issue or if it's a problem with my game since I couldn't find anything about it on google or mentioned in bug lists.
You're not alone. I don't have an answer for why it happens, but I've occasionally had this problem, too.

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
In classic, is it normal to get the same move multiple times? I just got ROB's reflector arm back to back.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
In classic, is it normal to get the same move multiple times? I just got ROB's reflector arm back to back.
Very normal. It can happen in any mode where you can see what customs you get. Even if you pick up two during a normal Multiplaye rmatch, they can be the same. I've gotten Farore's Wind custom(I forgot which one specifically) something like 4 times in a row in a single Smash Run. Sakurai did not program it so you can pick up one of each custom move at all, so... that's just what it is.

I do not know if you can get a custom move drop of a Challenge-specific one, though.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
When the game first came out, I remember reading many stories about people who broke their circle pad due to the game. Ever since I heard about that, I've had a question to ask: HOW? HOW ARE YOU BREAKING YOUR CIRCLE PADS WHEN THIS GAME REQUIRES SO FEW INPUTS? ESPECIALLY ONES FROM THE CIRCLE PAD!
So please, help me understand.

Top Bottom