• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Tournament Format is Flawed

Kuroneko

Smash Apprentice
The game would involve luck, but it would not be based on luck. I would expect players that do well without items to perform well with items. The selection of items, and their probability of appearing, is controlled.

Again, look at draft tournaments. They are often held when a new expansion comes out, or held in addition to tournaments with more standard rules. People have fun, and they are still competitive, often playing for money. The draft process is incredibly deep, and offers more variety than other formats, which usually involve people playing with the same three popular decks.
With that perspective, I can see where you're coming from, or I was too critical on items; I am not sure. Some luck, but not all. What I really want to see is two tournament formats for Brawl going at the same time. One in the current acceptable setting, then one with items. Instead of biweeklies, could be every week alternating between items and not. Host would be making money, people would have fun mixing up their style of play. But, I think too many people would rather not do items.

Sephi_hatu

Smash Apprentice
actually, Brawl didnt fix this. Random, unmarked exploding BARRELS still exist. Only the crates may be turned off.

And even if barrels COULD be turned off, I gues you didnt see a particular video.

In this video, It's Pit vs. Lucario on Smashville. Sudden death. They fight for a minute, Pit sends lucario up off the screen. Right before Lucario gets Star-KO'd, a bob-omb falls unexpectedly right on top of pit, and pit dies before Lucario does, which is unfair, as pit was the clear winner.

If that was a money match, and YOU were competeing, and YOU were pit, you'd have been HELLA pissed.
And again, you woulda paid money knowing that coulda happened, deal with it.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Wait isn't there a Feature for items which you can choose which items can appear on stage? I saw it some where but forgot where.

Well just gotta wait for the game to come out then :)

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
As stated before, any characters with moves with random effects completely undermines this. They receive random advantages. It's not about minimizing randomness if characters that can pull out random items (especially powerful items) are allowed in tournaments.
That's only because we can't turn them off. If we could turn off misfires or death turnips, for the sake of competative play we probably would. But because we can't we are forced to deal with it. We do not deal with these random factors by choice, and competative players have widely agreed to not deal with the randomness of items. That was our decision, and is how we will run our tournaments. If you have any complaints, then you need to either convince us to change our tournament scheme (how's that been working so far) or host your own tournaments.

http://sports.yahoo.com/rah/news?slug=ap-isntthatlucky&prov=ap&type=lgns

^^This will eventually happen if we allow randomness. I don't particularly think this is fair, but it happened anyway. Randomness can produce extreme effects.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
rather than saying all items or no items, I think they should be examined in a case by case situation. Even people who play with items turn off the ******** ones. I think a few select items could be considered fair.

smoke bomb

don't know about what others but if I looked at a list I'm sure there are a bunch

even a proximity mine could be feasible because while it give you a stun projectile, it has little effect and in a two player match both players can see the mine once it has been set and then it's a game of trying to hit the opponent into the mine, it changes the playstyle of the characters for that moment making it more dynamic but not exactly "unfair"

I think there could be multiple kinds too. Like it's not like everyone must accept one, there could be non item battles, and item battles with only a few items that have been approved fair by the high ranking tourney goers. It's just like the main event is 1 on 1 but there are also team battle tourneys.

Best101

Smash Ace
1) I agree, but I do not see this as a problem.

2)You answer this with 5.

3)Throwing items is part of playing with them. You can also catch items (I don't know if this is true in Brawl). You would not want to give away your item to somebody who is really good at catching.

4)I would not call edgeguarding creative. If anything, throwing items opens up more options for edgeguarding.

5)Why bother? Because, for example, I would like to play with items in a tournament setting.
1)Final round of a tournament and both you and your opponent have one life left. You run to attack your opponent, but as soon as you try to attack your opponent an exploding capsule lands next to you blowing you up and KOing you. You lose the match and the prize money. Not the best scenario but it still gets the same point across that I'm about to make. The contest wasn't won because of skill, it was won because an item had blown you up. It wasn't because your opponent killed you, he just got lucky that that item had appeared when it did and KO you for the win.

That's just one obvious problem

3)Someone throws a bat at you at very close range when you about to attack or "mind game" your opponent. Unless you have lvl 9 computer reflexes I don't see how you are going to catch that.

4)Mario can cape Fox's up B to edgeguard. He could also meteor smash Fox, he could play it safe and edgehog Fox. There's plenty of ways for many different characters to keep the other characters from coming back to the stage without items. But if you have an item in your hand and you see an opponent trying to recover, then the first thing you would do instinctively (or I would do) is to throw the item at your recovering opponent. Not much creativity there.

5)If you want to compete in a tournament with items then I suggest that you host your own tournament. Smashboards is the perfect place to get some help on tournament hosting.

soresu

Smash Rookie
"And again, you woulda paid money knowing that coulda happened, deal with it."
By saying this you are admitting that Pit was screwed over by bad luck. If we turn off items, this would have never happened. So why not just turn them off.

Yes items take a degree of skill. I think everyone agrees here on this point. Over the long run, someone will defeat someone of less skill, whether items or on or off. The problem is that items have a degree of variability. If I play ten games against someone better than me, I would lose 0-10 without items. With items, however, I could get lucky a couple times and maybe go 1-9, or even 2-8 against them. This should not happen. We should minimize variability as much as possible if we want to have a rigorous, respectable tournament scene that is based as much as possible on skill.

Because that's what a tournament is about right? We want to see who is the best at the game. Items, final smashes, crazy levels--those are all fun and I would turn them all on in a second for a casual game. But at a national tournament where people are going all out to see who's the best, I don't think it'd be fair to someone to get screwed over by bad luck.

Also, we had this items vs no items discussion a long time ago in melee and no-items became the standard. Why should brawl be any different? Have any item mechanics changed? If we could have the same items spawn every 30 seconds in the same location, then maybe this could work out. But history shows that items just don't work out, so I don't think it will--or should--happen in brawl either.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
And again, you woulda paid money knowing that coulda happened, deal with it.
Actually, no. I wouldn't have paid money knowing this could happen, and any who agree with me would make the tournament that much less popular.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
Only by turning all items. Only way to do this is to go to the item select screen and choose "none".

Simply deselecting all items will not turn them off because you will still have crates and capsules
ok, I had just heard that it had changed in brawl, that capsules and crates were items themselves, like party balls in the last games, so you could have items without any containers.

so this is confirmed not changed it brawl? I must have heard from a faulty source.

Best101

Smash Ace
ok, I had just heard that it had changed in brawl, that capsules and crates were items themselves, like party balls in the last games, so you could have items without any containers.

so this is confirmed not changed it brawl? I must have heard from a faulty source.
I thought he was talking about Melee. I forgot I was on a Brawl board. Anyway I was talking about Melee

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Who are you to determine "how the game is supposed to be played"?
Last I checked you could play it any way you please, like the creators intended.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
It would be cool if for example.. there was an special option.... to set a specific place for items to appear... and specific time.
With this, players would be able to know when they must be ready to get certain items in the middle of the fight and plan their strategies.

Some battles with items would be so insane.

Sadly, items appear so random and will never work this way.

Finn Macool

Smash Apprentice
itd give fast chars yet another advantag as their speed lets them get to the items first
also your reaasoning is crap. items appear randomly and their is insufficient risk for the potential reward

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
I appreciate your effort. I still disagree.

Dont get your panties in a bunch. Youll notice I didnt answer alot of peoples posts.
A post like MookieRah's needs to be answered. You cannot say, "The Smash Tournament Format is Flawed" if you cannot give a successful reply to its counter-arguments. Just in case you do not remember,

@Sephi
So far you have ignored a lot of points people have made about the negative aspects of items? Why haven't you addressed these?

I'll sum up the anti-item argument right now in condensed format. I'd like you to try to argue each of these points with a counter-argument.

1. Items are random:
Items spawn in random places, at random times, and the item that spawns is also random. There is no way to prepare for them, there is no way to incorporate them into your strategy. They may even out in randomness in a match, but it can also favor one person or another.

2. Items create more balance issues:
Items give faster characters even more advantages in matches. Because the spawn locations are random, chances are the faster characters will be able to get to the first. Yes, sometimes you have to work to get an item, and sometimes you can use an item as bait, but the fact remains that a lot of times items are practically given to you via their location and the situation, and the fast characters have a better chance at nabbing them overall.

3. Items promote camping:
Because items, even the legal ones when items were used in melee, were very powerful, camping and being overly defensive is an incredibly viable option. One could simply turtle, wait for an item, and use it against his opponent. Typically the people employing these strategies would play a fast character, see example 2 for balance problems, and would rely on items a great deal in the match. That's not to say the people using these strategies are bad players. I don't want anyone to insinuate that using this tactic makes you a n00b, cause if a REALLY GOOD player abused this situation then it would be devastating. This of course is the point, it's a strategy that would dominate every other strategy. It would polarize character use and it would make the game devolve into abusing and relying on items. This would be bad.

So yeah, continue to argue for items, but I would like you to address the points.
That post stands for why the Smash tournament community does not use items. Counter that argument successfully, and you will prove that the no-items rule is wrong.

Now for some replies.

Point 1 has received much attention

Also, on the topic of 'people playing for money dont want there chances of winning ruined by a random item'. Problem with that logic is that if somone pays to enter a tournament where items are on, they cant really complain about losing with items. Everyones agreed to play with them.
Reply:
That does not deal with the standard format being faulty; that is only a competitor’s problem (although yes, it is his/her fault for entering). If it is a problem for everyone, then they get rid of it. Your argument actually supports a reason why there are no items.

In posts, you have already stated that you conceded that items are random.

Points 2 and 3 have not been countered. Until they receive more attention, they stand as competent reasons, that pro-item players must answer.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
my opinion is insignificant, but again I will say, I think we should look at this on an item by item basis, rather than all or nothing.

also in smash bros BRAWL, yes I said BRAWL can you or can you not turn off crates, barrels, and capsules.

how come none of the anti-item people are addressing my post?

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
my opinion is insignificant, but again I will say, I think we should look at this on an item by item basis, rather than all or nothing.

also in smash bros BRAWL, yes I said BRAWL can you or can you not turn off crates, barrels, and capsules.

how come none of the anti-item people are addressing my post?
We look at all items by basis, and find they should all be out. I don't see how crates, barrels, and capsules have to do with anything. ANY item can give any player a random advantage. That is the basis on which they are turned off.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
Your logic is more flawed than the tournament format. First off you compare items to supers which has as much to deal with each other as a cell phone and a sandwich. Now throughout this entire thread you continue to ignore the fact that items are random. Consistency is a very big issue for competitive games, and I would like you to list a few instances where randomness would be preferred over consistency in a tournament setting. It's like playing a game of Halo, and you walk over to the sniper rifle spawn and suddenly find a needler in it's place.

On a different note the only real flaw is more with the tournament players than the tournament format. People basically want to ban everything before testing it out.

Sephi_hatu

Smash Apprentice
Your logic is more flawed than the tournament format. First off you compare items to supers which has as much to deal with each other as a cell phone and a sandwich. Now throughout this entire thread you continue to ignore the fact that items are random. Consistency is a very big issue for competitive games, and I would like you to list a few instances where randomness would be preferred over consistency in a tournament setting. It's like playing a game of Halo, and you walk over to the sniper rifle spawn and suddenly find a needler in it's place.

On a different note the only real flaw is more with the tournament players than the tournament format. People basically want to ban everything before testing it out.

Well, just cause you asked me to name a few, Magic, Poker, and pretty much any card based game.

And actually, I dont ignore that items are random, I actually acknowledge it a couple times.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
We look at all items by basis, and find they should all be out. I don't see how crates, barrels, and capsules have to do with anything. ANY item can give any player a random advantage. That is the basis on which they are turned off.
removing crates, barrels, and capsules eliminates spontaneous explosions, which has always been the primary concern, because if you turned items on in melee you would get them, but if you can now turn them off.... well.... that changes everything.

smoke bombs could be used for mind games, I don't see how it would make anything needlessly unfair.

why are you so resistant to even considering the idea, I don't mind playing without items, but I think it's odd how so many people are so violently opposed to even CONSIDER it.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
Well, just cause you asked me to name a few, Magic, Poker, and pretty much any card based game.

And actually, I dont ignore that items are random, I actually acknowledge it a couple times.
1) Those are card games not video games
2) You didn't say how random was better than consistent

CrazyShaman

Smash Apprentice
Also, on the topic of 'people playing for money dont want there chances of winning ruined by a random item'. Problem with that logic is that if somone pays to enter a tournament where items are on, they cant really complain about losing with items. Everyones agreed to play with them.

And to those who say if I want to play with items on, I should host my own tournament: My goal is not to splinter the smash community. We should all adhere to one standard. Smash doesnt get anywhere without a unified standard. Starcraft is sport in korea. Theres no major dissent among the fans with how starcraft should be played, even though it has a greater amount of customizable options than SSB. Smash isnt going anywhere if we dont all agree on it.

Alot of people glossed over me saying that melee is melee and melee wont be changing. However, Brawl is a clean slate. I put my ideas out there so that I could affect how Brawl is played, not melee.

Finally, heres a nice thread people should look at: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=146646
You claim that we should know that there is a chance we could lose because of items, and be fine with it, since we joined a tourney with items, yet, you are trying to change all tourneys to have items, so we won't have an option to go with a tourney that doesn't have that risk... :dizzy:

PXG

Smash Journeyman
Who are you to determine "how the game is supposed to be played"?
Last I checked you could play it any way you please, like the creators intended.
Quote for mother****ing truth!!!!

Guys, just deal with it. We don't play with items (reasons why have been exhausted and reiterated too many times). Just accept it and move on. If you don't like our rules, then make your own tournament with your own rules.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
As far as I know you ignored the issue about items spawning randomly in front of you while you are attacking. This item can be an exploding capsule...randomly causing a player's death. Is this fair? Can this be avoided by skill?

We are supposed to play Sakurai's smash? Dumb...

iluvwobbuffet

Smash Cadet
They are meant to be used
Then why in the hell can you turn items on and off in the first place?

The answer is choice.

Most competive smash players choose to turn items off to maintain a controlled match revolved around the players ONLY.

Most casual smash players choose to play with items because they like them, or think they're suppose to be used.

Just learn to accept the fact that people don't always want to play the way you do or want to.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
As far as I know you ignored the issue about items spawning randomly in front of you while you are attacking. This item can be an exploding capsule...randomly causing a player's death. Is this fair? Can this be avoided by skill?

We are supposed to play Sakurai's smash? Dumb...
not if you can turn capsules off, as for random placement, with smoke bomb you could crank it onto high rate so that both players will have access at all times, negating the "he has it and I don't " argument, of course it would look freaking weird.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yes, randomness is preferred to consistency in Magic. That's why all the competitive decks run the maximum four-of of every card they need.

Zindura

Smash Cadet
OP sounds like he hasn't played smash with friends.

OP sounds like he hasn't had a "WTFHEARTCONTAINERINFRONTOFHIM" experience that is very typical of smash.

jaycee00

Smash Cadet
Smash ball appears randomly, and depending on the situation, the time it appears could favour one player to acquire it over the other.
By contrast, both players in SF3 have super bars and can choose to unleash their supers whenever they please.

So because both players are allowed access to supers, it is deemed fair in SF3.

Supers in SF3 can be PUNISHED. You should watch the video of Daigo (ken) vs Chun li where he makes a MAJOR comeback after blocking chun's super.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89tRRO7qE9E
I'm pretty sure the supers in smash cant be punished in the same sense...I know you can hit pit during his final smash but you also have to deal with the unblockable flying angels at the same time.
But the landmaster is a prime example. The person in the tank cant be hit and is free to wreak havoc.

Edit*

Sephi_hatu

Smash Apprentice
Well here's my two cents.

- Many 2D fighters have professional tournaments. Yeah that's pretty obvious, but the thing that people forget is that many characters have more than one super move, thus adding in a bit of randomness to what super will be used by your enemy to trash you. If anything items are even less random, especially if you have a list of tournament "legal" items to use. Once an opponent picks up and item you KNOW what is going to happen and you can think of a way to avoid it. Think of it this way, Ryu has 1 level on his super bar yet he has 2 level 1 supers to choose from. He can either use his Shinkuu Hadouken or his Shinkuu Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku. You have no way of knowing which, and he can use them at anytime so you have to think up a strategy to be able to avoid either one. In Brawl an enemy would pick up an item that spawned randomly yes, but after picking the item up, you know what's going to happen next thus negating a random effect.

- Super moves can also greatly change the outcome of a match. Take for example Shin Gouki's Shun Goku Satsu. Yes it's a level 3 hyper move, but it's also unblockable and does an insane amount of damage. Think of this scenario: your enemy is Shin Gouki. It's the final round, you with one win, him with one win. You both have about 1/4 of your health left. He does not yet have 3 levels on his super bar, but he's pretty close. Try as you might you still get friggin' stuck in a corner and can only block or maybe even parry. However he leaves you with no openings and as you are stuck in your corner he launches his Shun Goku Satsu. You lose. That is exceedingly more deadly and game turning than a simple projectile item or even something like a beam sword. Now you can argue that items spawn more than you actually getting all 3 levels on your super bar during a match, but honestly I have seen even simple combos with an ex move (buffed up version or an ordinary special that requires about half of a super bar) mixed in that turned out to be more game turning than someone getting hit by a freakin' freezie.

- You argue that items would give your opponent an unfair advantage that they have not earned, and could possibly even buff their advantage even more. Well I say that's bull****. I mean think about it, if a beam sword spawns next to your opponent it's all good and well that they can PICK IT UP without having any risk, but if you're far enough away what good will it do them? Are you honestly telling me it's that hard to either dodge a thrown sword, or side step a slash? If so maybe we should ban all characters will projectiles, and sword users as well. You can also argue that your opponent should not have gotten an advantage in the first place and instead learned to find ways to overcome your characters attributes instead of getting a projectile to counter your projectiles. Well that's just being close minded. I could in turn say that you should learn to overcome the newly gained advantage that your enemy has just gained.

- Also for people who say that random spawn points are the bane of ever using items in tournaments are just being stubborn. Honestly think about it. Random spawn points make things fair for everyone in terms of having a useful thing pop up next to you. It's the actual usage of the item that is dangerous, and all elements of a random item being used are thrown out the window when you opponent picks up an item since you can visually see what they pick up and what they're holding.

- For Sonic telling someone else to test the possible use of items instead of the competitive community: I'm sorry, but that's just plain idiocy. Yeah you guys have tested the possible uses of em for the previous two games. PREVIOUS TWO! Brawl is indeed a NEW GAME with NEW BALANCE and NEW TWEAKS. I remember when Gouki appeared in Super Turbo Street Fighter he was too cheap. He was miles ahead of any other character in the game and in the hands of a human player he would automatically win. It became a problem of either ban him, or only use him in competitive gameplay. Well as the next installments of the Street Fighter games came and Gouki appeared once again as a playable character did they say, "Psh let someone else test and see if he's OK for play. He was too overpowered in Super Turbo so we don't want to waste time testing him for this NEW game." Instead they tested him, and he was FINE. Besides it took like what 2 years before the Melee scene went where it did anyway. Now with all pros becoming practically noobs once again with all of their advanced techs gone, why not test items while also looking for new advanced techs huh?

- Last thing. People always say Super Smash is deep. I do not for a second think that it is not, as a matter of fact I think it's one of the most unique fighting games out there in that it is deep enough to hide advanced techniques and yet still be able to be played at a reasonably high level even without advanced techniques. By having a list of tournament legal items it IMPROVES the depth of the game by forcing players to develop even more strategies in order to counter different tactics with the addition of items. It also causes people to think more DURING battle than when fighting against a character with a predictable movelist, against a human player who's play style can be read after the first match or so.

Edit: I'm open to counter arguments, and if I find you have a good point I cannot counter I will admit so.
This post needed to be put here.

jaycee00

Smash Cadet
We are trying to find out which two players are better.
You can model their skill using the equation:
Skill = True skill + error
*Error in this case meaning variance or random noise that cannot be eliminated
*and skill can be replaced with any score for future use :)

In any match, error may represent the player's tiredness, character advantages, or problems on his mind while he is playing. Whatever factor alters his true skill.
Adding items just adds to random error making it harder to decide whether guy 1 won because he was in the right place at the right time with the smash ball, or because he was better. You'll never know.

Yeah, Ryu has the choice to do two different supers, but so does the other guy. Or he chose an ism that compensates by having one great super...whatever. Either way, any super has to be used in an opening...these aren't final smashes. This doesn't put it on the same level as items because both street fighters can unpredictably unleash a super, both brawlers cannot chuck the same item at each other.

And that thing about Gouki, yeah, his super is unblockable. But as far as I know, that may be the only super that is, yet this isn't a game breaking move. You need to do your research and tell the whole story, things like why this move doesn't make Gouki top tier.
Misrepresenting the facts only furthers your argument among the ignorant.

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
From what I can gather, items might be used IF one could turn off randomly exploding containers. Since you can't really do that in Brawl either (capsules still explode randomly, right?) than items should probably stay off for "serious" tournaments.
Random exploding containers argument is null in Brawl.

Turning of containers turns off Party Balls, Capsules, Crates and Barrels. They still explode like in Melee, but they're optional.

Additionally, turning off Bob-Ombs, Sticky Bombs, Deku Nuts and Flame Crates will turn off all items in the game that kaboom when you randomly attack them.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
First let me post the items that would be allowed in tournaments if items were turned on:

Sparky (more research needs to be done on this item)
smoke ball
Proximity Mine
Spinner
Super Scope
Lip's stick (depends if it still spikes)
Star Rod

The other ones are just too broken to be considered to be allowed (you honestly think that a being hit by a freezie does not change the match direction; it could potentially make it a complete 180).

Do you honestly think those items are even intersting in the least? I just like the proximity mine, but if you like that single item that much, you might as well pick snake cuz the items will be set on very low anyways. Yeah more could be added, but since they are too broken they are banned.

If you want to debate whether the smash ball will be turned on, please take it to another thread (there's one specifically for it).

Items are also completely different from supers. You don't have to do anything to earn them, and they don't add that much diversity or character uniqueness to the scene.

AIM convo I had with another competitive smasher (I kept our names confidential):

me: what items do you think they would allow in tournaments
me: if items were allowed in tournaments
not me: >____>
not me: .....none?

The community already tried items. It doesn't want them again. There are hardly any competitive smashers who want items on in tournaments. The only item that ever had a chance was probably the smash ball, and that just appears to often and is too broken for some characters, while terrible for others.

I don't even understand what the big deal is. When I was a casual player I only wanted to play w/ items to have fun, but never for serious matches. I've never met someone in real life who thinks that items can be used for serious play.

Edit: yes I posted this in another thread. I'm just too tired to retype it.

Sephi_hatu

Smash Apprentice
I never touched on Final Smashes in my post since I do in fact believe that they are indeed horribly balanced. I was simply using the super system to compare it to Brawl's items system in the sense that they are both game mechanics that grant a temporary attack gain, and add in an air of randomness that forces players to adapt more during battle.

I didn't mean to call the pros noobs, I actually meant to say newbs. Although they have spent time and practiced with Melee, the tournament scene of Brawl is definitely no longer the same as of now. It's kind of like how it was when Melee first started as well, people still getting used to the general feel of the game along with nothing to boost mindgames and such, thus the newb part. It's not so much their ability as that they still need time to adapt and get not only the general feel of the game, but also to find techniques that will be able to make up for the loss of their old techniques in order to be able to compete at the level they once did.

Other than that it's cool. My wording however, seems to be off, so I'll see if I can make what I'm trying to say more clearly (with less words :p).

One of the greatest arguments against items is the random factor and the balance factor.

The balance factor can easily be negated by creating a list of tournament legal items, such as the one you have made yourself, taking into account the effect of the items and so forth. With certain items labeled as fair then there is no more reason to argue that items are unbalanced are there?

The random factor is greatly lessened by the fact that explosive crates are not only labeled, but can also be turned off via item switch. This effectively gets rid of what was one of the largest reasons as to why items were banned in the first place. Now the argument that must be fought against is how unfair it is for a "good" item to suddenly spawn near someone and thus give them the match. Well IMO how is that more random than you running at an opponent and them suddenly launching a KO attack on you? If you think about it, an item is basically a temporary attack granted to a character through, yes I'll admit, random chance. The random part of items is the where and the what, however those parts are indeed the most trivial part of items. Instead of being so stuck on those factors why not think of instead the important part, the USE of the items. Instead of thinking "Hey, that's not fair he got the beam sword because it was closer to him," why not think, "Alright, he has the beam sword now I've got to dodge that sucker if he throws it and I better watch for his improved range."

I just find the random argument lame since it's not like you don't know what's going to happen when the item gets picked up.

Edit: Should this have also gone to the other topic? :p
Another intelligent post that needs to be here.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Posted here for emphasis. Behold the extremes of randomness. http://sports.yahoo.com/rah/news?slug=ap-isntthatlucky&prov=ap&type=lgns

- Many 2D fighters have professional tournaments. Yeah that's pretty obvious, but the thing that people forget is that many characters have more than one super move, thus adding in a bit of randomness to what super will be used by your enemy to trash you.
That's not random at all. You opponent is actively filling a super bar, and you can predict when it will be filled. You can predict what supers he will be able to do. You opponent will have full control of what super they use, how quickly they fill their bar, when they use their super, ect.
If anything items are even less random, especially if you have a list of tournament "legal" items to use. Once an opponent picks up and item you KNOW what is going to happen and you can think of a way to avoid it.
It doens't matter. What matters is that they were given an advantage because now they have more options than they did before. They didn't earn that advantage, and it's not fair that you have to deal with it now.
Think of it this way, Ryu has 1 level on his super bar yet he has 2 level 1 supers to choose from. He can either use his Shinkuu Hadouken or his Shinkuu Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku. You have no way of knowing which, and he can use them at anytime so you have to think up a strategy to be able to avoid either one.
Just because you don't know which one he uses, doesn't mean that your opponent doesn't. It's not random because the player has complete control over it. He has control of how quickly he fills his super bar, he has control of when he uses his special, and he has control of which special he uses.
In Brawl an enemy would pick up an item that spawned randomly yes, but after picking the item up, you know what's going to happen next thus negating a random effect.
It does not negate the random effect. That's because the simple act of accuiring an item has an immediate affect on the match. The sudden increase in the number of options you have has a direct affect on the momenutm of the match. The conditions that you and your opponent were dealing with have now randomly changed. The random effect bleeds into the outcome and makes matches less consistant.
- Super moves can also greatly change the outcome of a match. Take for example Shin Gouki's Shun Goku Satsu. Yes it's a level 3 hyper move, but it's also unblockable and does an insane amount of damage. Think of this scenario: your enemy is Shin Gouki. It's the final round, you with one win, him with one win. You both have about 1/4 of your health left. He does not yet have 3 levels on his super bar, but he's pretty close. Try as you might you still get friggin' stuck in a corner and can only block or maybe even parry. However he leaves you with no openings and as you are stuck in your corner he launches his Shun Goku Satsu. You lose.
And you deserve to lose. He actively filled his super bar, he aggresively pressured you into a corner, and he took advantage of an opening to pull off his special.
That is exceedingly more deadly and game turning than a simple projectile item or even something like a beam sword. Now you can argue that items spawn more than you actually getting all 3 levels on your super bar during a match, but honestly I have seen even simple combos with an ex move (buffed up version or an ordinary special that requires about half of a super bar) mixed in that turned out to be more game turning than someone getting hit by a freakin' freezie.
It doesn't matter that items are less influential than supers. Supers are earned. Items are not.
- You argue that items would give your opponent an unfair advantage that they have not earned, and could possibly even buff their advantage even more. Well I say that's bull****. I mean think about it, if a beam sword spawns next to your opponent it's all good and well that they can PICK IT UP without having any risk, but if you're far enough away what good will it do them?
They pick it up and now have more options than they did before. They were handed more options. That isn't fair.

maybe we should ban all characters will projectiles, and sword users as well. You can also argue that your opponent should not have gotten an advantage in the first place and instead learned to find ways to overcome your characters attributes instead of getting a projectile to counter your projectiles.
Learning a character is earning an advantage. A character's moveset is consistant and controllable. It can be predicted. Item spawns can't.
Well that's just being close minded. I could in turn say that you should learn to overcome the newly gained advantage that your enemy has just gained.
You shouldn't have to overcome that advantage. The opponent should not have recieved that advantage in the first place. They didn't earn the advantage, so you shouldn't have to deal with it.
- Also for people who say that random spawn points are the bane of ever using items in tournaments are just being stubborn. Honestly think about it. Random spawn points make things fair for everyone in terms of having a useful thing pop up next to you.
There is no guarantee that items will spawn next to you as much as your opponent through the match. Tournaments do not have enough matches for this randomness to even itself out. You get gimped once in winners and once in losers and your out. Heck, you may lose to someone that's just plain better than you in winners, but may get knocked out in losers because your opponent kept getting all the items because they kept spawning next to him.
It's the actual usage of the item that is dangerous, and all elements of a random item being used are thrown out the window when you opponent picks up an item since you can visually see what they pick up and what they're holding.
Like I said further up, the randomness doesn't go away because the momentum of the match gets changed as soon as someone aquires more options. Items instantly give you more options, and thus they instantly change the momentum of the match. However, because items are not earned, this change in momentum is not earned nor justified.
- For Sonic telling someone else to test the possible use of items instead of the competitive community: I'm sorry, but that's just plain idiocy. Yeah you guys have tested the possible uses of em for the previous two games. PREVIOUS TWO! Brawl is indeed a NEW GAME with NEW BALANCE and NEW TWEAKS.
The item spawning system has not changed. Items still appear in random intervals. They were banned in melee because they were random->they are still random in brawl->they will be banned in brawl.
I remember when Gouki appeared in Super Turbo Street Fighter he was too cheap. He was miles ahead of any other character in the game and in the hands of a human player he would automatically win. It became a problem of either ban him, or only use him in competitive gameplay. Well as the next installments of the Street Fighter games came and Gouki appeared once again as a playable character did they say, "Psh let someone else test and see if he's OK for play. He was too overpowered in Super Turbo so we don't want to waste time testing him for this NEW game." Instead they tested him, and he was FINE.
That ban was justified because he devolved the metagame. However, in the later instalments, he actually changed. He was no longer miles ahead of the other characters, and thus his ban had to be re-evaluated because he no longer fit the premise by which he was banned.

Items have not changed. Items were banned because they spawn at random times, and they still fit that criteria. They don't need to be re-tested because the previous test still applies here.
Besides it took like what 2 years before the Melee scene went where it did anyway. Now with all pros becoming practically noobs once again with all of their advanced techs gone, why not test items while also looking for new advanced techs huh?
So does logic go away when you switch to a new game? Anything that isn't equally accessible to both players (note, I said players not characters) should be banned. If it appears randomly, then there is no guarantee that it will be equally accessible.

-
. By having a list of tournament legal items it IMPROVES the depth of the game by forcing players to develop even more strategies in order to counter different tactics with the addition of items.
But the random nature by which the items appear detracts from the depth of the game, by forcing players to have to react to an advantage that was never worked for. Nobody can plan for an item to spawn right on top of them.
It also causes people to think more DURING battle than when fighting against a character with a predictable movelist, against a human player who's play style can be read after the first match or so.
If you can read their style after the first match then it is their fault for not mixing things up enough. Fighting games are about predicting your opponent, and using the options you have to punish them for being predictable.

Items are not banned for being good or bad. Items are banned for being random. The size of the advantage that they give is insignificant, the only thing that matters is that they unpredictably appear and give one player more options than they had before.

Top Bottom