• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Tournament Format is Flawed

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
the item generator is a weak idea, final smashes are unbalanced, and while I don't have the time or money to go to tourneys (yet) due to life, I have played tourney goers with tourney rules, and I respect the way it's done, I am not like half or more of the other item people in this thread, I don't think that it makes it fairer, or it's meant to be, or that the way tourneys are now is wrong or any of that other gay sh*t

I just think it would be a good addition to the competitive scene as it's own type of match

good lord some people just can't get it through their head. I am not your stereotypical casual crybaby.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I just think it would be a good addition to the competitive scene as it's own type of match
If that's what you think then go do it. Find a big name tourney you can get to and set it up with the organizer. Just say something along the lines of "how bout after the normal tourney, why don't we have an items tourney, just for the lulz." Trust me, you'll get more people playing than you'd expect just as long as the item tourney isn't the main/only tourney.

Edit: 1000 Posts >.>

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Not to 4chan, but slowpoke, that got made last week, and people still felt the need to argue in this thread.
Yeah... I made that thread in tournament discussion. I haven't read through all of this thread, but... don't take this particular discussion there. Seriously.

The reason that thread was made is because there are people who already believe that item play in tournaments is a legit concern; it's not a thread for discussing whether the current tournament format is flawed, because the CCL will be a completely separate format.

Now, if you want to go help the project, or you want to ask questions, or something like that, please, by all means, come visit. But please don't start any flame wars/arguments on item viability/discussions on why items are too random/etc. in that particular thread.

Jimiisama

Smash Apprentice
Meow meow meow meow
Meow meow meow meow
Meow meow meow meow
Meow meow meow meow

Meow meow meow meow
Meow meow meow meow
Meow meow meow meow
Meow meow meow meow

Meow meow meow meow
Meow meow meow meow
Meow meow meow meow
Meow meow meow meow

Meow meow meow meow
Meow meow meow meow
Meow meow meow meow
Meow meow meow meow

BentoBox

Smash Master
I didn't post that link to move this pointless discussion over there. Pointless because a solution has already been proposed and people choose to ignore it and keep arguing.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I didn't post that link to move this pointless discussion over there. Pointless because a solution has already been proposed and people choose to ignore it and keep arguing.
I know... just wanted to be safe. :laugh: Lord knows there's already been considerable arguing in spite of the fact that there's really no reason to fight.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
If that's what you think then go do it. Find a big name tourney you can get to and set it up with the organizer. Just say something along the lines of "how bout after the normal tourney, why don't we have an items tourney, just for the lulz." Trust me, you'll get more people playing than you'd expect just as long as the item tourney isn't the main/only tourney.

Edit: 1000 Posts >.>

that's a great suggestion, maybe I will in a few months, I'm tied down now but will be free to roam in a few months.

Sephi_hatu

Smash Apprentice
Yes, I wasnt trying to avert the flame wars from my topic, I was just amused that it was still going after a solution had arisen.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
did you even read my post? I'm pretty sure you can start a match WITH an item. correct? I saw it in a few vids just a bit ago.
It would be awesome if both people could pick an item to spawn with at the beginning of the match. Then it could be a side-event at some tournaments. There'd be no randomness to it at all (random stuff like AT's and Pokeballs would be banned, along with broken stuff, like bombs) Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be that controllable.

Lol at people saying "it's too early to say Final Smashes can't be in the competitive scene!" What, are you waiting for time to pass so that more broken tactics/combos can be found with them, and so people can find ways to break the thing in under .5 seconds with every character?

Top Bottom