• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snake FAQ/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Where do I go to start learning how to play Snake well? I read the guide and I know a bit from playing against him with Marth. What's next? :D

Question:
When is f-air useful asides from punishing?
I find it most useful when your opponent is at mid-high and chasing you off stage. It is a calculated risk on their part as a mistimed aerial will result in them being spiked danm hard or getting the vertical hit that at about 70% and up will KO. You can be punished heavily for it but it ain't called "the flying axe kick" for nothing. If anyone know better than me feel free to correct me.

DZhou

Smash Journeyman
What's the best way to DI MK's D-throw?

Low DI = Tornado and high DI = Aerial lol

etecoon

Smash Hero
mix it up. at low to mid percents there is absolutely nothing you can do that is guaranteed to get you out of it, if MK predicts or is amazing at following your DI you *will* get hit, so don't do the same thing every time.

febs

Smash Cadet
If you set a mine after you kill someone, how come people don't just run to it during their invincibility frames when they respawn? Also, when I try to recover with C4 I sometimes fastfall so what I've been trying to do is just press it lightly, but sometimes the nade comes out. Read somewhere to try pressing down + left or right, but won't this DI me that way too, and thus make me move away from the C4?

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you set a mine after you kill someone, how come people don't just run to it during their invincibility frames when they respawn? Also, when I try to recover with C4 I sometimes fastfall so what I've been trying to do is just press it lightly, but sometimes the nade comes out. Read somewhere to try pressing down + left or right, but won't this DI me that way too, and thus make me move away from the C4?
Some people find going after you to be a better use of their invincibility frames. Being able to do anything without getting punished for it for a few seconds is a huge advantage.

As for C4 recovering, what you should do is starting holding down just before your up-b is about to end. That way you can down-b without fastfalling.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Anyone has any tips on how should I play in the MK matchup? Because I don't have the chance to play MKs very often. And how can I avoid getting offstage and punish his approaches with spaced aerials? And is it a good idea to try to punish a shielded Fsmash/Dsmash?

etecoon

Smash Hero
brinstar is probably snake's worst stage vs MK, you should be banning it or RC every time.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Not even. It's extremely hard to camp, and the lava only forces you into bad situations that MK can take advantage of. I swear, MK barely even notices the lava is there, but since Snake lives on the ground, he's forced to jump around and get on itty bitty platforms. Next thing you know, he's juggling you to 7234578398%.

I'd take RC over Brinstar any day.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's one of the better teams out there. In fact, Snake is probably Pikachu's best partner. Snake tanks stocks, rules the ground, and kills a lot earlier than Pikachu while Pikachu can easily rack up the damage and take fights to the air and off stage.

He helps kill off the top with his thunder if your up-tilt didn't cut it. If you have Pikachu on your team, momentum canceling vertical hits can be extremely risky for the enemy because Pikachu might thunder them out of it for a free kill. There's also the bonus that they might die earlier out of fear of momentum canceling. This is good since Snake primarily kills off the top.

Pikachu can really struggle to kill, but has absolutely no trouble racking up the damage. He has chaingrabs, strings off of d-throw and f-throw, combos off d-tilt if it trips, and a bunch of other ways to rack up the damage. Snake is just a powerhouse that both racks up damage and kills very early, making damage no problem and Pikachu no longer needs to worry about landing those pain in the *** kill moves.

They're probably one of the only teams that can camp together effectively. The two can throw out nades and jolts together from one side of the stage and not really get in each others way if they do it right.

There are a few funky strategies they can use too. D-smash becomes much more useful for Pikachu. Normally, people DI up and out of it, making d-smash a lot less effective, but if they come flying towards you after they pop out, throw out your up-tilt and watch them fly. There's always the typical stick-your-team-mate-with-C4 shenanigans, but Pikachu can use QAC and go through the opponent to stick it to them. Also, if your opponent is in the air with a C4 stuck to them, force them to airdodge with Pikachu's thunder, then C4 them out of the airdodge. It's very satisfying to pull that off.

Just some general tips from somebody who plays both of these characters.

frayike

Smash Cadet
I gotta try this sometime. My friend mains pika so i guess it is a match made in heaven. Never really played doubles but sounds fun. Lot of communication or just matual understanding has got to be going on if you want that team to work out.

Navn

Smash Apprentice
In order to improve my camping game, i'd like some advice.

Whenever i pull out a grenade, the people i play regularly have begun to just dash at me and use an attack that doesn't blow up the nade (ie. MK using a well-spaced dair or something), or grab me, which doesn't always trigger an explosion either.

How should i approach this situation? Using the "grenade-stance throw" won't do much, as the grenade has no hitstun on impact, and it leaves me in noticeable lag. I know i can shieldgrab, but that doesn't beat out everything. If i shielddrop and chuck the nade at them quickly, it just bounces off them and lands somewhat close to me (or in MK's case, flies right over him, doing nothing), which seems to limit my options further.

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
I would take Brinstar over RC personally.

From a sneakiness point of view it works out better for me because the stage is so dark and it's easy to hide things, as well as hard to see some of Snake's projectiles.

*I'll post pics later*

I hate brinstar since Snake has terrible aerials and you'll be jumping for the rest of the match. You might as well struggle to find a good spot for camping (if there is).

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
In order to improve my camping game, i'd like some advice.

Whenever i pull out a grenade, the people i play regularly have begun to just dash at me and use an attack that doesn't blow up the nade (ie. MK using a well-spaced dair or something), or grab me, which doesn't always trigger an explosion either.

How should i approach this situation? Using the "grenade-stance throw" won't do much, as the grenade has no hitstun on impact, and it leaves me in noticeable lag. I know i can shieldgrab, but that doesn't beat out everything. If i shielddrop and chuck the nade at them quickly, it just bounces off them and lands somewhat close to me (or in MK's case, flies right over him, doing nothing), which seems to limit my options further.
Try mixing it up with spotdodge, or just backing away a bit while holding it. If you're ever in a familiar situation and you know what they want to do, prepare yourself and punish accordingly. Think of your grenade pulls as bait.

etecoon

Smash Hero
does taking out the springs really help you power shield better?
haven't played on a springless GCN controller but I know my shielding and teching is noticeably more accurate on the other controllers or if I map it to a face button like Y, the springs are definitely a problem

febs

Smash Cadet
Little confused with DI and when to fast fall. If I get hit to the left let's say. I'd press UP + Right, but I'm supposed to fast fall sometime. So when do I fast fall and if I choose to fast fall won't that take away my DI from U+Right.

When a samus was in front of me I tried to sticky it. But before it could it rolled across me to my back. But oddly the c4 still stuck to samus.
....Why on earth was a Samus rolling?

Secondly, it's because her roll has hardly any invincibility, therefore, the c4 will stick to her during this period.

Sorry that was bugging me :/

Hai Snake boards :3

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Little confused with DI and when to fast fall. If I get hit to the left let's say. I'd press UP + Right, but I'm supposed to fast fall sometime. So when do I fast fall and if I choose to fast fall won't that take away my DI from U+Right.
Fast fall is only if you're going to die off of the top. If you're heading for the corner, you shouldn't fastfall because it will mess with your trajectory and send you farther to the left.

However, if you get hit by an upwards move, like Snake's up-tilt and it's virtually impossible to be heading towards the corner, then you would fastfall, so as not to get sent off the top, since there's no risk of dying by the side blast zones.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Fast-falling doesn't hurt your DI at all, SuSa said that it even helps when sent horizontally, its a good habit to learn to fastfall most of the time.

WARLOCK punch.

Don't battle against CPUs.
I actually call it the B*&^* Fist cause if someone hits you with it you are their B*&^* for a day where I live.

Leave me alone, it was in training mode. Yeah I know playing against CPUs makes you worse. But I will say that M2K says he uses computers to battle against but it probably because nobody wants to play him. :chuckle:

febs

Smash Cadet
im having trouble with the b-reverse. uhhh i just end up pulling out the nikita launcher. any advice? and whats the difference between b reverse and wavebounce?

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
The best advice I can give is pretend like you're doing an f-tilt, except with b. It's really just practice. Keep at it and you'll get the hang of it eventually.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
a b reverse is turning around before the move comes out, a wavebounce is turning around after, like RIGHT after, and it makes you go WEEEEEEEE

on another note, get timed out zajice~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~~**~*~

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's true.

B-reverse = turn around with b.

Wavebounce = DI one way, b-reverse, and slam the control stick the other way.

Then you go WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Get shield grabbed out of your f-air by Dedede, Splet.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's true.

B-reverse = turn around with b.

Wavebounce = DI one way, b-reverse, and slam the control stick the other way.

Then you go WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Get shield grabbed out of your f-air by Dedede, Splet.
it's ok because you couldn't do it.
YOU'RE A BAD DEDEDE.
FEEL BAD.
BAD BAD BAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom