• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

What do you want most in a Switch Successor?

• Total voters

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
anyone check out the new live action Avatar series yet? Ngl I feel like I’d be on the fence if I check it out

Dukefire

Smash Master
I honestly wonder why making a live action Avatar The Last Airbender movie was a good idea. I'll stick to the original material
Screenshot_20240221_190202_YouTube.jpg

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You know I completely forgot there was a 2nd Avatar Movie.

I mean the blue people. Not the greatest movie of all time The Last Airbender.
You say this as a jest but there's already people being kinder to it on account of being less terrible than the Netflix show.

Speaking of Netflix shows, I finally have the ONE volume in Dungeon Meshi I was missing so I'm gonna binge read the **** out of it, already past the point the anime's likely gonna end and I can just tell Trigger has the opportunity to do the most evil cliffhanger **** ever lmao

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
You say this as a jest but there's already people being kinder to it on account of being less terrible than the Netflix show.
Is the show really that bad? I really can't imagine it being worse than TLA of all things.

I have heard nothing about the show, which somehow feels worse than if it were a hilarious trainwreck like Shyamalan's movie.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
If I ever have kids, the last thing I'll ever do is post them online.

Please stop posting your kids online.
My mom told me when I was young to never go online until she let me when I got older.

I somehow always find a way online but she kicked me off it real fast and I just ****ed with MS Paint lol

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Ngl, I think it was the casting that blared alarms that something was wrong for a lot of people.

Like I know diversity casting is an issue for some (and I won't get into it because no), but Avatar genuinelly had a very diverse cast from the jump in terms of ethnicity and race, and ironically, Netflix really didn't cast with respect to tje diversity the original have.

Like iirc Sokka's was racist and wasn't even native (let alone brown).

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Ngl, I think it was the casting that blared alarms that something was wrong for a lot of people.

Like I know diversity casting is an issue for some (and I won't get into it because no), but Avatar genuinelly had a very diverse cast from the jump in terms of ethnicity and race, and ironically, Netflix really didn't cast with respect to tje diversity the original have.

Like iirc Sokka's was racist and wasn't even native (let alone brown).
Wait they literally made Sokka white again???

That was actually one of the things that made me stop watching the movie

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Better yet, a white boy who pretended to be indigenous so he could get cast if I remember the story right seeing as he's the outlier
Yeah I heard that one and I just discussed it with my friends

I just didn't realize he was white. That actually kinda pisses me off, I may be white myself but I know white people stealing roles meant for PoC isn't uncommon, and for some egotistical white boy to do it for this show after the absolute catastrophy that was the movie that got rightfully bashed for whitewashing the cast is just... The audacity...

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
IIRC, a big problem with the live-action Avatar film is that the executives really, really meddled with it.

Like, at a certain point, Shyamalan basically lost all but the bare minimum of creative control over it. Some of the problems of the film may have been his doing, but most of it can be traced back to ****ty decisions by the executives stepping in constantly.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
IIRC, a big problem with the live-action Avatar film is that the executives really, really meddled with it.

Like, at a certain point, Shyamalan basically lost all but the bare minimum of creative control over it. Some of the problems of the film may have been his doing, but most of it can be traced back to ****ty decisions by the executives stepping in constantly.
I mean you're right but we're talking about the other Live Action Avatar which apparently sucks too foe the same reasons (aside from Shyamalan).

Avatar fans will get a good adaptation... eventually.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Anyway shout out to One Piece Netflix, pretty sure Emily Rudd is the only fully white actress on the straw hats
IIRC casting was trying to get relatively close to Oda's canonical ethnicities of the Strawhats, Hispanic Luffy (I think Oda said Brazillian), Swedish Nami, Japanese Zoro, South African Usopp, and French Sanji.

So I guess we have Canadian Chopper and Russian Nico Robin to look forward to for season 2

Jondolio

Smash Hero
IIRC casting was trying to get relatively close to Oda's canonical ethnicities of the Strawhats, Hispanic Luffy (I think Oda said Brazillian), Swedish Nami, Japanese Zoro, South African Usopp, and French Sanji.

So I guess we have Canadian Chopper and Russian Nico Robin to look forward to for season 2
Pretty sure Zoro's the only one that matches the original ethnicity Oda had in mind 100%. Idk if Nami's actress has any Swedish ancestry and for Usopp he just said "African" which I guess he did get right since Jacob Romero is African-American.

For Luffy he said Brazillian, and Inaki Godoy is Mexican, while Sanji's actor is British-Spanish-Arabic. So I wouldn't necessarily count on these. Then again I might be coping because I want Robin to be brown again

Jotadé

Smash Journeyman
Anyway shout out to One Piece Netflix, pretty sure Emily Rudd is the only fully white actress on the straw hats
It also made my boy Sanji a Canary Islands icon among the fandom in spanish speaking communities, which is based.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What is it with isekai animes and slavery these days?

Here’s a cute girl. She is legally your property :194:
The thing with isekai is that it's a power fantasy, Japan does the whole 'everyone in society is a cog in a machine' so that's why their protags are typically OP as ****. Owning women is a power fantasy for incels who don't shower, don't do anything to make themselves look nice and don't want a relationship where they have to do anything for their partners. They all want slaves, specifically slaves they can have sex with. A lot of isekai trash panders towards incels. It's like, a cycle

Top Bottom