• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sonic Glitch/Tech/Non-obvious move list & Gimp Guide *updated 2/16*

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
SH -> FASC.

Add that to Sonic's running speed. It's not that slow at all. And I believe it will make an excelent edge-guarding tool, as you can chain it with a Fair. Hell, you can even follow it up with a Homing Attack! :DDD

However, I am testing this on Training mode, so I'm not taking DI into account =P
really? i thought that you could only do those things out of >B idk i thought you couldn't do anything with vB in the air until you touched the ground? unless you jump? but i thought you couldn't even do that with vB in the air....hmm....

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
really? i thought that you could only do those things out of >B idk i thought you couldn't do anything with vB in the air until you touched the ground? unless you jump? but i thought you couldn't even do that with vB in the air....hmm....
Yes, but keep in mind that you must have your double jump in order to cancel de ASC into an aerial or another attack.

BTW, If you cancel the ASC quickly enough, you practically get an "air dash" that goes about 1/5 of FD (I'm considering the SH version)... a very nice add to Sonic's approaching game. Plus the fact that you can shield cancel it into a grab or a roll... omg :laugh:

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
This did not turn out to be what I thought it was lol. Although kudos to you for trying to find out uses for it I guess. Though, I really struggle to see how someone would fail to see this coming and counter it with almost any aerial of their own.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Single charge looks like homing attack, especially if you do it out of stand>SH . You wouldn't believe how many people react with usmash against homing attack x_X

Shield canceled ASC is so nice though. Shielded ASC > grab is one of the last things that people expect when they're used to seeing Sonic get behind them and doing a followup attack on their shield.

like any move, not a thing to spam, but nice to throw in there.

If you do alot of spindash feints, this move is golden x.x;

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I finished the Snake gimp entry. I think I'll add a general comment to every entry I have so far before proceeding to the next character.

BTW, any requests as to which character to cover next?

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Fair Momentum:
Use 1: After being knocked off the stage, using fair once can increase Sonic's horizontal recovery distance.
I was curious and just tested this. Sonic F-smashing a 95% Sonic from FD's center. No DI.

Tried double jumping ASAP and was able to land on the stage.

Tried using Fair and then double jumping ASAP. Grabbed the edge.

So, fake.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I was curious and just tested this. Sonic F-smashing a 95% Sonic from FD's center. No DI.

Tried double jumping ASAP and was able to land on the stage.

Tried using Fair and then double jumping ASAP. Grabbed the edge.

So, fake.
are you sure it's not because of the F-air making you jump later? Try it again, but using F-air after/as you double jump, instead of before.

Either way, this seems to work at least when you're coming out of a spring, and that part is undisputed.

@frostbyte: fine :x

Tenki

Smash Hero
Osht! A Slide And Moar!

it has some kind of push though, it's really minor and doesn't last for long.

try doing a F-air out of a run (just run off the platform and f-air) in Target Test lv 5.

it does a little push forward that, if you do it at the right time, you'll F-air into the target, but if you don't, you'll come short.
-----------

HEY check this out:
Hey guys, I found some really cool stuff you can do with Sonic's dash. As in, his run.

I was messing around, just learning the timing for DPC-staggered dashes (y'know, run, pivot, cancel into a run in the same direction), and noticed some things:

If you dash, let the control stick go neutral, but then push it forward at "initiate a walk" speed around the time that his dash end animation goes up, you get this awesome slide.

The timing is key, and I don't have vids, so I'll explain again. First, you know how there's two dash end animations? One stops a fox trot, the other stops a run (and plays the skid sound from Sonic's games). I'll call the first one the dash stop, the other the run stop.

So,

You DASH
You release control stick
Just before and then throughout Sonic's dash stop, you nudge the control stick forward again.

He will slide quite far as he does the dash stop. He doesn't gain momentum mysteriously; it's more like he's wearing Luigi's shoes for a moment.
Your control stick motion should have a constant pace, and start and end at the same time as the sliding.

One way of putting it is that you sort of foxtrot, except instead of going into a dash, you put a walk input. But you don't walk. You slide.

HOWEVER, while fiddling around with that input, I noticed this:

If you move the control stick slightly faster, and ensure it is close to maximally lateral after the halftime and before the end of the dash-stop animation, Sonic will begin a run animation, and moreover, he will run at a pace proportional to the directional input on the control stick.

So what it looks like is Sonic dashes, slides with his legs apart, but just as he seems to lose momentum, his 'infinity' legs go out, yet your run is like Melee's pivot-reduced run speed. At first. You can then slide your control stick to the side, going back to full speed, or let it go to neutral, where you will run stop.

Strangely I didn't check whether you can actually go into an attack with any of this. I thought just the ability to manipulate your movement was valuable enough to Sonic.
Basically, he has found out how to slide the initial dash stop and do a slow-run on command.

wtfhax

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I will look further into that when I have the time... it seems like something I saw before with the pivot cancels and such but there's so much crap floating around about that that I didn't properly examine all of it.

Tenki

Smash Hero
lol foxtrot slide. yep. that's it.

oh well, at least he found the 'slow run' on command trick lol.

Browny

Smash Hater
omg super armour investigating time. today in a 4 player FFA local match, at 160% i took at Zelda electric kick to the face as she jumped over the ledge while i was performing a ground based attack, possibly a grab i cant remember exactly. I had the stunned animation, the sound went off, i sighed, but sonic just stood in place. i was on 180% immediately after so i know i took the full force of the kick. the other player noticed this too, definitely WTF worthy.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I added the ledge foot stool jump in and I'm feeling like I should do the same for the pivot stuff since there have long been videos for it all anyways.

Rodriguezjr

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJM-gBZ9Zhs

Well, not much of a Sonic main but, I haven't seen that many had done this trick yet. A friend of mine who mains Sonic has some how been able to pull out two Springs in the air. I don't how he did that but, it seems useful for knocking out opponents off screen if you miss the first time.

Tenki

Smash Hero
around page 16 or so you start to see the beginnings of that.

it's always a footstool jump or hit that you can barely see that replenishes the up-B :[

Umby

Smash Master

try doing a F-air out of a run (just run off the platform and f-air) in Target Test lv 5.

it does a little push forward that, if you do it at the right time, you'll F-air into the target, but if you don't, you'll come short.
-----------

HEY check this out:

Basically, he has found out how to slide the initial dash stop and do a slow-run on command.

wtfhax
Hey Izzy, we found out how to increase the dsmash range.

Tenki

Smash Hero
What about his three moves with invincibility frames?
Sorry about bringing this up here, but...
3 moves with invincibility...?

Up-B has dodge frames up to about FH/SDJ height after the spring comes up
Side-B has invincibility/dodge/high priority frames (or a combination of all) during the release.

I believe Up=smash was mentioned in another post, but I doubt it. I get attacked out of it often. What is truth?

Browny

Smash Hater
im pretty sure upsmash doesnt have invincibilty frames, but it sure has near infinite priority. like with side b, the high priority last for a short time, but it goes through a lot of d-air attacks, dedede's upb etc

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Okay, guys, I'll explain this once.

Priority is not a number. It is not a value. Priority doesn't even exist. It is just a phrase we use to simplify why one move beats another. A lot of things factor into how high a move's priority is.

1) Size of the hitbox when compared to the character attacking.
2) Distance of the hitbox from the body (disjointed/non, etc).
3) Duration of the hitbox.
4) Invulnerability/Unflinchable frames.
5) A bunch more stuff.

Sonic has low priority on a lot of his moves because his hitboxes are closer to his body, and smaller. His fair has good priority because it encompasses most of his body, and actually hits outside of him a little bit. His other moves have crappy priority due to their small hitboxes relevant to his body, blah blah blah, etc etc etc. I'm tired.

His usmash has invincibility frames where he isn't, and a HUGE hitbox compared to his body. Also, it ~may~ have one or two actual invincibility frames on his actual body, but I'm not sure.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace

Well, I tested double-jumping + fair like you said before and the results were either the same as only double-jumping or fair->double-jump.

And about Target Test Lv.5: I believe it only involves the fair's hitbox range.

So, yeah, still calling it fake. I think that people think that fairing helps because they're DIing towards the stage as they use fair.

Tenki

Smash Hero
^It does hurt if you think you're going to double jump+F-air to get back on stage just to F-air through the ledge, or end up grabbing the ledge, when you could have landed on the level with vB or >B.
Well, I tested double-jumping + fair like you said before and the results were either the same as only double-jumping or fair->double-jump.

And about Target Test Lv.5: I believe it only involves the fair's hitbox range.

So, yeah, still calling it fake. I think that people think that fairing helps because they're DIing towards the stage as they use fair.
Ah sorry. The Target Test thing was obvious, but I didn't think that way at the time lol.

The best thing to do would be to edit it so it only applies to initial Spring, because that's really its only use, and has been shown in videos to work (though, IMO it works because it interrupts the 'smile animation' with an attack while you're doing DI in a direction).
------------------
Also, random things you should add to the list...
- ASC shield cancel (lol definitely wasn't obvious, was it)
- Combat walking...? ('walk' by doing jab and 2nd jab- input is [hold A],[tap A],[hold A],[tap A...]) http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=165616
- Boost Pivot Grab http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=169086
- A grounded Spinshot can only be done with side-B. Me and dNES checked out the mechanics for it, and with the report that you can spinshot after rolling off an edge (it can be done, btw), it only works if you jump cancel while doing a phase change to an aerial spin (>B charge>SD hop, vB Charge>ASC, Roll>ASC)

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Hm, but if you can renew your second jump... I wonder...

And on the random things:
- I'll add it
- Won't add it, it's useless and quite frankly pretty easy for anyone to figure out when they first get the game.
- Won't add, you're going to do it a lot when you practice dash canceled up-smashing anyways, and it's pretty useless.
- Don't I mention that in the entry? I thought I did... Hold on.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Sorry about bringing this up here, but...
3 moves with invincibility...?

Up-B has dodge frames up to about FH/SDJ height after the spring comes up
Side-B has invincibility/dodge/high priority frames (or a combination of all) during the release.
Indeed but most refer to the dodge frames as invincibility so i tend to just encompass them all.
I believe Up=smash was mentioned in another post, but I doubt it. I get attacked out of it often. What is truth?
Truth is lies.

Top Bottom