• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sonic 'Self improvement' thread, plus your questions answered! FAQ

Joshkip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Joshkip
3DS FC
0447-5552-4282
hey ummm so yeah can sonic chain grab ness? if so tell me cause i was reading the sonic the hedgehog community matchup discussion and got to the ness part where a ness main said sonic can chain grab ness.

tell me how to if this is possible,
thanks

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
hey ummm so yeah can sonic chain grab ness? if so tell me cause i was reading the sonic the hedgehog community matchup discussion and got to the ness part where a ness main said sonic can chain grab ness.

tell me how to if this is possible,
thanks
I don't play enough ness' to know the answer to this

Joshkip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Joshkip
3DS FC
0447-5552-4282
so i have another question in teams who would sonic be good teaming up with?

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
teams are supposed to compliment each other in some way, so someone who can kill for you would be good obviously.

I say Ike and Sonic, since sonic can do sexy combos, plus Ike isn't too shabby...but the damage will be coming from sonic and then ike can get in there and KO for you.

also, since sonic's grab game is nice, you can get the opponent in a grab leaving them open for a smash attack with Ike.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I really liked Snake + Sonic. Snake can control the ground, and Sonic can stay in the air frustrating opponents with Fair etc., comboing off Snake's hits from the ground and gimping / messing with their recoveries, while mostly avoiding Snake's ground-based projectiles. The zoning complements well IMO.

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
I really liked Snake + Sonic. Snake can control the ground, and Sonic can stay in the air frustrating opponents with Fair etc., comboing off Snake's hits from the ground and gimping / messing with their recoveries, while mostly avoiding Snake's ground-based projectiles. The zoning complements well IMO.
that's a nice matchup, but I'd only recommend it to an experienced pair, since snake's explosives and sonic's speed can be an unhealthy combination, escpecially for nubz.

Joshkip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Joshkip
3DS FC
0447-5552-4282
teams are supposed to compliment each other in some way, so someone who can kill for you would be good obviously.

I say Ike and Sonic, since sonic can do sexy combos, plus Ike isn't too shabby...but the damage will be coming from sonic and then ike can get in there and KO for you.

also, since sonic's grab game is nice, you can get the opponent in a grab leaving them open for a smash attack with Ike.

i did actually have that team at one point it did do quite well but all the ikes boards did was dis sonic and acted like a douche to me for saying me and a buddy came in 3rd with team Sonike

screw it i will try and find someone who plays ike to be my team mate

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
okay, so I'm having trouble spinshotting easily...anyone got advice on what button combination they use that's easiest?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
C-Stick man, C-stick. It's all about the C-Stick.

Jump>DownB>C-stick up/left/right (I find up to be the easiest)

SideB>C-stick down

That is all.

:093:

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
C-Stick man, C-stick. It's all about the C-Stick.

Jump>DownB>C-stick up/left/right (I find up to be the easiest)

SideB>C-stick down

That is all.

This is correct.

Just note that the Down-B spinshot has a faster input window.

Meaning you have to flick the c-stick faster than you would with the Side-B.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Just note that the Down-B spinshot has a faster input window.

Meaning you have to flick the c-stick faster than you would with the Side-B.

This is also correct.

You can pretty much spinshot out of SideB at any point besides the beginning, and when it's fully charged. DownB is a lot more picky.

Side note: In case you still don't know, the DownB spinshot ONLY works in the air. The SideB spinshot works on the ground AND in the air.

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
This is also correct.

You can pretty much spinshot out of SideB at any point besides the beginning, and when it's fully charged. DownB is a lot more picky.

Side note: In case you still don't know, the DownB spinshot ONLY works in the air. The SideB spinshot works on the ground AND in the air.

okay, thanks guys.

I can do it sometimes...i guess I just have to get the timing down...

Tucker!

Smash Rookie
approaching with sonic is a more difficult thing to do, especially when playing against somebody like legan, or malcolm, spacing definentally, and sheilding alot is one thing ive had to get used to with sonic, he's a very unique character for smash, but if you dont know how to approach with sonic, im sry but your flat out screwed, if your gunna play sonic, you have to remember, almost everyone can out prioritize him, and you need to learn to sheild dash alot, also i do a trick where when im in the middle of a dash i quickly do side B, shield it, and then i shield grab out of it, its alot quicker and more effecient than a running grab, and atleast you have more chance of not being punished, if your gonna play sonic, you cannot play him like he is a very direct character, or your gunna get your A$$ handed to you, unless you play like malcolm, mad props to malcolm aha

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
approaching with sonic is a more difficult thing to do, especially when playing against somebody like legan, or malcolm, spacing definentally, and sheilding alot is one thing ive had to get used to with sonic, he's a very unique character for smash, but if you dont know how to approach with sonic, im sry but your flat out screwed, if your gunna play sonic, you have to remember, almost everyone can out prioritize him, and you need to learn to sheild dash alot, also i do a trick where when im in the middle of a dash i quickly do side B, shield it, and then i shield grab out of it, its alot quicker and more effecient than a running grab, and atleast you have more chance of not being punished, if your gonna play sonic, you cannot play him like he is a very direct character, or your gunna get your A$$ handed to you, unless you play like malcolm, mad props to malcolm aha
thank...you?

this is known information...

Boxob.

Smash Lord
Spinshotting is so important.

So, so important. I fought Nape today and lost consistently, not using spinshot.

I started spinshotting, guess what happened? I won, a lot.

Protip: L2shotweb.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah, seriously. I love spinshot. I used to think "Meh, it's okay" but I was a scrub.

Now I love it, and I'm a pro.
Not really but I've gotten much better and spinshot is an important part of Sonic's game

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
Spinshotting is so important.

So, so important. I fought Nape today and lost consistently, not using spinshot.

I started spinshotting, guess what happened? I won, a lot.

Protip: L2shotweb.

I will do mah best.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
ICs are *****es! nuff' said... Srsly though, I was only able to beat IC on neutral stages by platform camping like a maniac and spacing bairs, even then It wasn't consistent enough to win any MM's. You guys know any tricks against IC? obviously I'm gonna wanna pick a nice CP, but I'm talking about on neutral stages (Also, I ban FD against IC... I feel disgusting playing Sonic and having to ban FD it just doesn't feel right...)

I may be getting my wii fixed and I may have found a sonic glitch that changes his game forever too. Hint: Infinite up-B

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I may be getting my wii fixed and I may have found a sonic glitch that changes his game forever too. Hint: Infinite up-B
I don't know much about IC's but this is interesting.

Are you sure about it though? We've had many a thread in the past where people thought Sonic could double spring, but it turned out to be just someone footstooling him in the middle of his UpB, thus lettting him regain it and repeat.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Spinshot moar always.

Like all the time.

90% of my movement involves Spinshot.

Spinshot.

lol at Cam's sig. <3

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
I think there's also the registered being on the ground thing where you can spring up again near an edge after ... I forget how the game recognizes it. Maybe an opponent needs to wiff an attack on you near the edge at the same time, getting you out of the [no specials] freefall frames and gets you back to normal so you can Up-B again.

Edit: does manliness = steak? idk if you guys have seen the how to play brawl like a man vids, but that's the reference.

Tenki

Smash Hero
So I guess I clicked the wrong link (I usually click the 'most recent post' link) and I saw this near the bottom of the page:
How do I make Sonic more powerful his attacks need more power anybody got any suggestions?

lol.

anyway, I don't really see what all the hype for spinshot is (as a direct approach, anyway). It leaves you without a double jump, which means that when you get to your opponent, your choices are:
- aerial
- footstool
- spring
- HA

I mean, online, sure - usually when I fight a spinshot-abusing Sonic using my home connection, they're already 3/4 of the way towards me by the time my reaction move gets registered, but otherwise, I should be able to just turn around grab, jump an aerial, shield the aerial (/spring) and punish, etc.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Spinshot creates the illusion of speed and invincibility, online and off.

I'm going to keep doing it if they can't punish me consistently. I don't abuse it mind you, but I enjoy it.

I lol everytime I see your sig btw.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I don't know, Spinshots aren't really hard to do when you use the Side-B -> Down C-Stick method. Take this from somebody who has just recently picked it up to.

As for ICs, just don't play risky, and if you play to not get grabbed, it works wonders. Though I have got to find an IC in-person to test that out, but I think moreorless Sonic hast he tools to keep away, the stuff to seperate them, and moreorless make the ICs play something besides a grab-game.

BTW about the Spinshots... I use them sparingly yet whenever I can. Spinshots are awesome.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
Spinshots would most likely fail pretty fierce. He plays an aggressive IC so the second he saw me charging a down-b or side-b he'd probly be close enough to grab me and kill me...

I used a strategy of platform camping and spaced bairs but sometime he could perfect shield the bair and grab me when I messed up the spacing... Kinda sucks to work your *** off to get in like 8 bairs and fairs then lose because he grabbed you once....

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Hmmm, sounds familiar.... hehehe. I wonder where you got that from.... :D

Spinshots would most likely fail pretty fierce. He plays an aggressive IC so the second he saw me charging a down-b or side-b he'd probly be close enough to grab me and kill me...

I used a strategy of platform camping and spaced bairs but sometime he could perfect shield the bair and grab me when I messed up the spacing... Kinda sucks to work your *** off to get in like 8 bairs and fairs then lose because he grabbed you once....
Yeah, that's ICs for ya' :/

Wish I could help you out, but I never played an IC that can kill you with one grab consistently. It sounds like you have a good idea of what to do...meh.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Well if you want another piece of advice... don't stop moving. Never give your ICs opponent the chance to think, if you let them react to you, you start to lose the advantage. I play aggresively, so staying one place is a big no-no.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
In my own thread again :(

So yeah, any tips on adapting my playstyle in a match once I've read they're play style? I'm working on my conditioning but changing is really holding me back...

:(

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Hmm... I'm not sure if being able to adapt is a self-problem that only you can break the limit on, or if there is any way to help with that...

I'm not too sure, because being a passive/aggressive player means I can play it safe when necessary, so I think it would be safe to assume a lot of us who play a fighting game like Brawl are only naturally good at being able to change playstyles accordingly, but this isn't about me so...

Well let's see, for starters Sonic is the jack-of-all-trades in one character, being able to answer to most types of playstyles... Assuming you have a playing to win mindset, if you have already scanned out your opponent to the point where you can read them like a book, you have to get it in your head that you have to counter their style if you want to win... That's all I can say, otherwise I'm not sure if that will help you at all.

Tenki

Smash Hero
forget everything you did and do random approaches and even not-really approaches?

9_9; I started playing Brawl after like a week of not having anyone to play with, and I confused the **** out of my opponent and myself because I was like

"uhh... maybe I'll jump and N-air.

wait, how about I double jump backwards, turn around when I land, and stand there for a second."

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Malcolm is your man to talk to if you have trouble with the Zero Suit, he helped me clear things up when I myself was having trouble with that wench.

The thing I remember most about what he had to say was "L2PS" basically.

Top Bottom