• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The story behind GameuniCON 2009 &John Keough Donations to save GU & pay winners UP!

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
There is a list in the SBR currently, i suppose it shouldnt be a big deal to make it public, ill edit the OP later tonight

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
Read this multiple times. I really hope things work out for you.

I've been to this venue 3 times; but after hearing that GU might get sold/closed I'd really like to get further acquainted with you guys. Whose the guy who does Billy Mays impressions during tournaments? Is that Dave? Whose the guy with that badass long hair/glasses? This question will suck but I must know... which one was John? Descriptive details? lol

Tichinde925

Smash Legend

I've been to this venue 3 times; but after hearing that GU might get sold/closed I'd really like to get further acquainted with you guys. Whose the guy who does Billy Mays impressions during tournaments? Is that Dave? Whose the guy with that badass long hair/glasses? This question will suck but I must know... which one was John? Descriptive details? lol
Look at the videos posted on the first post. John is in them.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
The money the costume contest at SMB4 raises is gunna be funneled into the pay pal account, if it's still open than. Hopefully it helps some.

GameUnderground

Smash Journeyman

Billy Mays guy is Glen... check out www.nerdfitnetwork.com to see lots of Glen lol

I am Jamie the guy with the long red hair.

Dave has shorter blond hair and stuff... he's the owner

John Keough is the guy that looked like John Cena had been dropped on his head 40 times as a baby.

Guys there may be a way for this to actually help.... It's getting to be do or die time. The tournaments tomorrow and Sunday should help too. Thanks!!!

Scar

#HarveyDent
my checks bounced, cost me 50 dollars + the 50 i didn't make so i'm out 100 pretty much

whatever tho keogh is getting like 10-20 behind bars so i guess it's all good

my boy's gonna get *****, literally

fragbait

Smash Master
Thanks so much Jake. I can't believe how amazing all of you are being. I want to make sure you are involved 100% in exactly how that money is spent. I would still prefer to pay the players first or asap. I hope you can keep a record of who donates so we can hook them up later if we ever get in the position to again.

We are working on selling the store or getting investors involved as well.

How about some good news here....

WAAF has contacted me because GameUniCon went so well in the eyes of the public and their street team (keep in mind that only a relative few insider people know about the Keough situation) and has asked me to run a medium sized video game event for them in December. :)

I'm trying to get something great together for it and most likely it will be a free or very cheap event with tournaments for Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Smash and Street Fighter 4. I am pushing to get WAAF's other sponsors for this event to give us cash prizes too!

If this goes well they may actually help make a second GameUniCon happen and get big corporate sponsors to help....

This is all in the planning stages and our store is still in big trouble but I thought you guys would like some good news....
Good luck, GU. I'm glad that there's smashers out there with enough passion for your store and what you do for them that they are willing to help keep you alive.
Good luck. Heres hope that theres another GameUnicon.

Rafi

Smash Rookie
I randomly decided to browse Smashboards while I was at my friend's house and I'm glad I found this thread. I'm still owed about $470 from winnings at GUnicon for getting 4s and 2s for Halo 3. The check I received at the event bounced and I'm also owed an "I.O.U" lol. This whole thing is pretty ridiculous, imo. I'm just wondering what the other people who are owed prize money are doing. Anyway, I'm glad this is getting attention and really hope everything at Game Universe works out. It's a great store. The WAAF thing sounds pretty awesome btw.

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
Yeah, it probably hit every other tournament there that didn't get payed in cash. IIRC, someone mentioned Justin Wong getting pissed after his check bounced.

Off topic, but did anyone else watch SC4 finals? That **** was amazing.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Just read the whole thread. Even though I'm from europe and not at all connected to this I just wanted to give my support through all this. This is terrible and I can't even imagine the frustration this must give the organisers when all of this went so wrong after investing so much in this.
I hope the winners see their money in the end and most of all that the shop owners manage to find a way to keep that shop open cause judging by this thread It gives a lot of smashers in that region a lot of enjoyment and means a lot to them.

The least I can do is spread the word among the euro community and I'll do just that :). I'll keep an eye on this thread for any initiatives.

You have my support ^^

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I just skimmed through this thread and I saw something about, in the future, tourney winners paying for the fundraiser

but besides the host of this, the tourney winners are the ones getting screwed the 2nd hardest and yes it is a big deal to me obviously i LIVE OFF THIS RIGHT NOW

oh btw this isn't the first time **** like this happened so I don't wanna hear it

if it's another side event for charity that's one thing, but taking away the pot from future ECRC events is ******** cuz I wanna go to those and smash is my only job. I'm pretty much poor without it, and I have not made -NEARLY- as much as people think over the years. If I read this thread wrong or his posts wrong (again, I just skimmed cuz I'm mad) then my bad

Oh and shut the **** up with calling me a disgusting human being I'm one of the NICEST people but this **** PISSES me off a lot especially when they get away with it

I split with people all the time over years just cuz I'm ONE OF THE NICEST PEOPLE EVER with money.

I regret it now though; I never should have done that ****
Maybe you're forgetting the woman who got tied up and her car stolen...

All in all, I havent read the whole thread, sorry for that. But I really want to say I'm sorry for what happened and try to get it back through court (maybe Cort can help you lololol)

omnicloud7strife

Smash Apprentice
I jussssst read the first like... 1/2, or 3/4ths , or so.

I think the most important thing is to get people their money that they've earned. This said? Getting the cash to Game Universe first means more tournaments, means more smashers, means more money, and so on, in such a fashion.

On an unrelated note, I suggest Game Universe goes by a "No Johns" policy. As in, no more people named John. Seriously, that's some ****ed up ****, right there. I mean, I didn't get the greatest vibe from John, but it wasn't horrible. It was just... I kinda felt he was off, but not THAT off. I thought he might have thought a bit highly of himself. Not doing that ****. That's ****ing nuts.

Conclusion: Save Game Universe, then pay the winners, THEN let's all go to the prison and beat John to death with soap.

~Omni~

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
Donations~

Matthew Townsend $5.00 (Fatal Matt)
Paul Cyphers $1.00
Smooooom $5.00
Paul Cyphers $6.00
Jake Kulinski $10.00 (Solid Jake)

Total: $27.00

note to everyone who pays, i have to confirm the payment before it is finalized. I have not done so due to paypal requiring me to fax some paperwork to them. This will be done soon, but not having a fax machine makes it slightly inconvenient for me.

Again thank you much for your donations!

Prawn

Smash Master
Donations~

Matthew Townsend $5.00 (Fatal Matt)
Paul Cyphers $1.00
Smooooom $5.00
Paul Cyphers $6.00
Jake Kulinski $10.00 (Solid Jake)

Total: $27.00

note to everyone who pays, i have to confirm the payment before it is finalized. I have not done so due to paypal requiring me to fax some paperwork to them. This will be done soon, but not having a fax machine makes it slightly inconvenient for me.

Again thank you much for your donations!

You can combine my two(paul cyphers)

and Mang0 don't just cheer get in on this action!

....even though the money will most likely come back to you :confused:

ilikezelda

Smash Rookie
Donations to Game Unicon??? Are you guys really all this ******** from playing video games in your parents dingy basements????? Wow you really must be soooo stupid they screwed you over in money and prizes and they knew what they were doing everyone associated knew what they were doing and they know what they are doing now by scamming you out of more money... hahahahahahaaaahahahahahhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Donations to Game Unicon??? Are you guys really all this ******** from playing video games in your parents dingy basements????? Wow you really must be soooo stupid they screwed you over in money and prizes and they knew what they were doing everyone associated knew what they were doing and they know what they are doing now by scamming you out of more money... hahahahahahaaaahahahahahhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Obvious troll is obvious.

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
Whomever your real account is, your obviously not very involved in the community. We had no involvement in the convention money / prizes which is why this was able to happen. Im pretty sure the community trusts us. Lets go back to 2007. Someone stole $1000 from the pot. I ended up paying some of my OWN money to pay the venue (which we still shorted) and 100% of the prize money was paid out. I believe it was the largest payout of the WHOLE YEAR (excluding MLG / evo) WITH A SMALLER TURNOUT THAN OTHER TOURNAMENTS. Meaning we took away money from the venue fee to pay the players where other TO's pot skimmed!

*shrug* im pissed at this, troll or not. ****.

All my claims are here for reference. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=143600 ... for the hell of it

AKC12

Smash Journeyman
Wow I haven't known about this till now. I went and it was all a blast. I'll most def be going to any events that will benefit GU and I'll see if I can donate some money myself. I can confirm that my younger brother who won the madden tourney got paid. Stunning.
Hope this whole mess gets settled at some point.

GameUnderground

Smash Journeyman
I would still like to do 1 Mass Madness in November and 1 in Dec if possible.

I can't see us being open in 2010.....

however, I may have found a venue for Mass Madness to move to. I will let you know if it works out.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Best experience ever for first national tournament.

As I told Jake before I AM pre-law, and I know a great deal about this stuff so if there's a case to be filed, please let me know and let me help.

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
As GU has announced they are closing.. we have failed...

Those who have made donations you should be able to revoke them, please do so and let me know when you do.

I did not fully accept any payments to be safe, but i greatly appreciate the thought regardless!

We will still have to try to figure something out for the people who did not get paid, but it is impossible to balance who gets paid for what over small donations.

Top Bottom