• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
Came second again with Ness, that's 3 tournaments with 25+ people and 3 seconds. I can't cope with grand final pressure, I mess up simple things and my gameplay falls apart. This is something I have to work on asap.

Played against another good Ness player and I really love this mirror match: magnets, mixups, grabs and aerial shenanigans. Too much fun.

Last edited:

xXx_360Lucas420_xXx

Smash Rookie
Anyone know how to go up against a Fox user? They know they don't spam the blaster against a ness since he can absorb it, but his attacks are too fast that ness has a hard time(atleast for me)

Also, anyone having trouble against a Sonic player?..

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Anyone know how to go up against a Fox user? They know they don't spam the blaster against a ness since he can absorb it, but his attacks are too fast that ness has a hard time(atleast for me)

Also, anyone having trouble against a Sonic player?..
Sonic is as of right now (I think) considered our worst matchup. A good Sonic player will mix up their attacks/approaches, which coupled with Sonic's insane ground speed makes it extremely difficult to keep up with him. I have no experience against the best Sonics, so I can't help much there.

Can't help you with Fox much. Haven't gone up against enough good ones.

The best place where more people can help you would probably be on the matchup threads. Of course, the social thread is OK, but the matchup threads are really the best place to ask for help against specific characters. I recommend going to this one: http://smashboards.com/threads/difficult-matchups-ask-matchup-questions-here.371539/.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Not too sure about Fox details, but something I want to mention is that you can duck under his lasers. It's a bit safer than magnet since it comes out faster, and you can do anything you want out of a crouch.

Oh, and gimp his recovery with PKT tail.

And don't ever be above him. Ever.

Noa.

Smash Master
So yesterday I went to a tournament. Got 4th in singles which is ok. Lost to ryo in winners, and in losers I lost 0-2 to a Diddy that I beat 2-0 in winners. I hate losing to players that I've beaten previously lol. We're now 2-1 in overall sets and he's in the lead lol. I lost to 1st and 2nd place though so I was satisfied with my singles performance.

However in doubles I placed 1st. I teamed with a Zss and can I just say that that team combo is broken and stupid. It was really fun placing first and playing in doubles with a partner who's good at healing is awesome. There were VODS of this tourney and the grand finals for doubles were pretty awesome so I'll probably post them in the video thread soon.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
So yesterday I went to a tournament. Got 4th in singles which is ok. Lost to ryo in winners, and in losers I lost 0-2 to a Diddy that I beat 2-0 in winners. I hate losing to players that I've beaten previously lol. We're now 2-1 in overall sets and he's in the lead lol. I lost to 1st and 2nd place though so I was satisfied with my singles performance.

However in doubles I placed 1st. I teamed with a Zss and can I just say that that team combo is broken and stupid. It was really fun placing first and playing in doubles with a partner who's good at healing is awesome. There were VODS of this tourney and the grand finals for doubles were pretty awesome so I'll probably post them in the video thread soon.
I played a set of doubles games with PinkFresh's ZSS against Logic and Unknown the other day, and I have to agree completely. ZSS was my theoretical team partner at first, now she's my soul mate. The synergy is stupid lol. The healing, the PKF+dsmash BS, the covered weaknesses (as in Ness can KO for ZSS, and she's got his back when recovering), and the general improvised combos are just beautiful. We won a vast majority of the matches we played, it was amazing.

Also, I want to take a moment to appreciate how Ness' dthrow can essentially throw 2 people due to how the flame explosions trap nearby opponents lol.

Noa.

Smash Master
I played a set of doubles games with PinkFresh's ZSS against Logic and Unknown the other day, and I have to agree completely. ZSS was my theoretical team partner at first, now she's my soul mate. The synergy is stupid lol. The healing, the PKF+dsmash BS, the covered weaknesses (as in Ness can KO for ZSS, and she's got his back when recovering), and the general improvised combos are just beautiful. We won a vast majority of the matches we played, it was amazing.

Also, I want to take a moment to appreciate how Ness' dthrow can essentially throw 2 people due to how the flame explosions trap nearby opponents lol.
I know zss and ness just complement each other so well. Zss can follow up on any of Ness's throws, even uthrow and fthrow due to her great vertical height on her full hop and great mobility in general. Even without the healing their pretty decent teammates. With the healing they're a ridiculous combo though. I can't think of any character that's a better partner for ness. No one else has such a spammable, high damage energy projectile, and when you absorb it the hitbox still comes out so the enemy can't just run in with no care. You can even use paralyzer for long range heals if need be. You can also use pkt2 onstage carelessly as zss can always use down b to avoid it.

NAKAT

Smash Champion
Welcome to the Ness boards!!!! :grin:

And yup I did see the discussion, and I rate Nair incredibly highly. ^_^

Tagging @ NAKAT NAKAT here - if you get to reading this I was hoping for word on your thoughts on general gameplay strategies atm and how useful some of the B&B moves are at top level. Been watching vids but it's nice to hear from someone who really knows the viable strategies against other top players. =)

Stuff like, how safe ARE some of our moves and what might some of the current MUs be like at top level?
I'll get back to this eventually!

Screk

Lost in moonside
NNID
Screkness
So I've done notting but lay in my bed and play earthbound just got to dalaam.
(Procrastination ftw )

Noa.

Smash Master
I'm gonna finish playing windwaker. After that I'm going to replay dark souls 2. And after that I think I'm gonna play earthbound

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
You're dead to me.

btw, has anyone seen the WFTs' MU thread?
they have themselves winning matchups against three of the best characters in the game.
I guess WFT is set for top tier, so Draconoa, better start on those Deep Breathing Bthrow kill %s.

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
I got the Mystical Gloves (3%) in Mother 3 on the second Monkalrus I fought. Like, when my party was still high on mushrooms.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Dangit, I can never get the rare drops on a whim when playing any of the Mother games. I always have to hunt for them for a long time >.<
And I'm the type of OCD guy that needs to have ALL the rare drops in order to feel complete. Gutsy bat, Goddess Ribbon, Magic Gloves, Thud Charms, you name it.

Btw, I just went to another tournament yesterday, and I did MUCH better this time (4th place).
Literally didn't lose to anyone but 2fast lol. He put me in losers, then eliminated me. He's got a great Luigi that I still struggle with, but I think I'll be able to get him some day, the games are usually close. I took the last set to game 3 by breaking his shield with PK Flash, then hitting him with the PK Flash for the KO. I also PK Flashed him out of a misfired green missile.
That's literally more PK Flashes I've landed in 1 day than I do in a regular week.

Also, just wanna thank @ Noa. Noa. for the advice he gave me. I tried applying it all and the results showed. I tried listening to music, collecting my thoughts between stocks, and focusing more on adapting as opposed to potentially losing. I certainly didn't SD as much as I did previously (only 1 time in a game I won anyways), and I finally managed to beat players that had formerly beaten me.

Noa.

Smash Master
Dangit, I can never get the rare drops on a whim when playing any of the Mother games. I always have to hunt for them for a long time >.<
And I'm the type of OCD guy that needs to have ALL the rare drops in order to feel complete. Gutsy bat, Goddess Ribbon, Magic Gloves, Thud Charms, you name it.

Btw, I just went to another tournament yesterday, and I did MUCH better this time (4th place).
Literally didn't lose to anyone but 2fast lol. He put me in losers, then eliminated me. He's got a great Luigi that I still struggle with, but I think I'll be able to get him some day, the games are usually close. I took the last set to game 3 by breaking his shield with PK Flash, then hitting him with the PK Flash for the KO. I also PK Flashed him out of a misfired green missile.
That's literally more PK Flashes I've landed in 1 day than I do in a regular week.

Also, just wanna thank @ Noa. Noa. for the advice he gave me. I tried applying it all and the results showed. I tried listening to music, collecting my thoughts between stocks, and focusing more on adapting as opposed to potentially losing. I certainly didn't SD as much as I did previously (only 1 time in a game I won anyways), and I finally managed to beat players that had formerly beaten me.
Great job E360! By the way, how do you prefer to be named? Earthbound360? E360? 360? What do people call you in tournament?

And it's great to see such a marked improvement. I'm happy to be able to help in any way I can. Us Ness mains need to help each other after all. How big was the tournament? Do you have a link?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Great job E360! By the way, how do you prefer to be named? Earthbound360? E360? 360? What do people call you in tournament?

And it's great to see such a marked improvement. I'm happy to be able to help in any way I can. Us Ness mains need to help each other after all. How big was the tournament? Do you have a link?
Thanks bro. People on the boards here have gotten into the habit of calling me EB360 for short. People IRL call me Mik! (with that very important exclamation point).

And yeah, I feel like I managed to settle my nerves a bit more thanks to your help. I could feel myself do significantly less stupid things XD
Tourney was about 40 I think. Not huge, but money's money. Still waiting on Tantalus to post the link of the bracket.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
when playing Mother 3, at the end, I realised that the Virgo Bracelet was actually Kumatora's ultimate equip and I was like... dammmmmmmmmmm

oh have any of you maxed out levels in any game?
I got full lv 99 in Earthbound, mid 60s in Mother 1 and early 90s in Mother 3.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Okay!:4megaman: vs :4ness:

The Mega Man boards are discussing the Ness MU here until Sunday night. We would be really appreciative if you could come help us out.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Hey guys I have an embarrassing question.

How are you supposed to DI dthrow-fair? I know I've got a few Ness dittos to deal with and it's something that I hadn't thought about.

Noa.

Smash Master
Holding towards Ness can also work. You have to commit to doing a fair straight up, instead of just doing a fair like towards your opponent to hit them. Though you leave yourself open to uair or nair.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
so you guys wanna take a look at the mega man MU thread... two of them saying they beat ness... +2 or +3.

Last edited:

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
Lost another final thanks to a great sheik player, I really need to learn how to counter Sheik as Ness!

I'm on a 4 tournament second place streak, I'll hopefully get first next fortnight

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
5th at a local today, lost to the people who came 3rd and 4th respectively. Decent considering I haven't been playing much at all since December but I'm a bit disappointed I couldn't come out on top in either of the sets I lost considering they were both very close (last stock game three, I choked in losers and let a huge lead slip). No recording setup but I saved some replays.

@ Sir_Zedd Sir_Zedd how's the Tassie scene coming along? How many competitors are you guys getting? Congrats on your placing!

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
We get roughly 30 people at each event, the lowest we've had was 26 people I think, support from the community has been amazing and I think it'll get a much bigger scene over time. A bunch of us should be coming to BAM7 hopefully.

Congrats on your placing also!

Top Bottom