• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
I haven't seen any new things about Ness in some time how about we start off with a match up discussion about different projectile users seeing how you all deal with them we will start off with I think is the hardest projectile user to fight and that's Toon Link. I say TN because I feel regular Link is too slow but TN is fast and can use the same old projectiles. I normally go to me secondary or block off the boomer rang by using PKF to light it on fire and then they will most likely throw another so just light that one on fire slowly cutting they're stage control. Only way to go is above the fire and well you can just up air.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Went back to EarthBound Beginnings today to train Ana. And, well...

*Trains Ana to level 10, already more PSI powers than level 20 Ninten*

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
So... Uh... Hi.

Last Friday, the Charizard forums started, or were supposed to have started, the Ness match-up discussion. As it stands, I don't think I can contribute very well, and our posts so far haven't explored the potential options a Ness has against our Charizard. I think a lot of it is just unfamiliarity with the character.
In any case, if someone could share their thoughts on the matter and help get some analysis started, they would be very much so appreciated. We don't want to be biased - it doesn't help with the diplomacy between different character boards, and it doesn't help with the actual match-up.
http://smashboards.com/threads/charizard-matchup-discussion-ness.423936/
I'll also list the Charizard v.s Charizard match-up thread, because hopefully it'll give an idea of what the format is like.
http://smashboards.com/threads/charizard-matchup-discussion-mirror-matches.407885/

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I've had a pretty horrible day. But if there's one thing that made my day, it's that I made it to Youngtown today in EarthBound Beginnings. What's so awesome about that?

Its theme song is the same thing as Paula's Theme from EarthBound. Which is absolutely awesome.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Once you get to Youngtown the game gets a LOT easier. Not because the enemies are any easier or anything, but...

Because it's where you learn PSI Teleport and from there on in you can just Onyx hook + tele out of Magicant to wherever you need to go for quick heals

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Once you get to Youngtown the game gets a LOT easier. Not because the enemies are any easier or anything, but...

Because it's where you learn PSI Teleport and from there on in you can just Onyx hook + tele out of Magicant to wherever you need to go for quick heals
I don't need to be a certain level to obtain it? Flipping FINALLY!!! I was sick of using that Onyx Hook and having to trudge back to where I previously was.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
wait where did you get the impression that you had to be at a certain level?
Most every other PSI power I've encountered in both EarthBound Beginnings and EarthBound you were only able to learn once a character hit a certain level.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Unless it's via monkey like in EarthBound then no, I don't.
Basically, you go and talk to someone in one of the houses in the village. A baby to be precise (I'm being completely 100% serious here). You may or may not need to look up a map to help you navigate through the village.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Basically, you go and talk to someone in one of the houses in the village. A baby to be precise (I'm being completely 100% serious here). You may or may not need to look up a map to help you navigate through the village.
I'm using chuggaconroy's guide to it. You guys all say that it's better to go it alone (find everything out for yourself) on the first run through, but I'm having a good time this way as well. In fact I probably would've never found the 4th melody in Spookane if I hadn't been watching his guide.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Actually, it was the 2nd melody that got me. I never figured out by myself how the heck I was meant to get to that darn parrot. :p

As for the 4th melody, I got to it on my 2nd try, I think. It wasn't too much trouble, but I think Ana was dead by the time I got to the piano room. :p

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I'm using chuggaconroy's guide to it. You guys all say that it's better to go it alone (find everything out for yourself) on the first run through, but I'm having a good time this way as well. In fact I probably would've never found the 4th melody in Spookane if I hadn't been watching his guide.
I watched the very same guide to get an idea on the plot...and then for strategy through the game (particularly for Mt. Itoi). And believe me, I often don't go at it alone, rather I solve as much as I can and if I get stuck, use a guide. My typical strategy in Zelda games. Outside Ocarina of Time's Water Temple, which I just followed the guide all the way through because of it's infamous difficulty.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
See, I never did Water Temple using a guide. Not the first time, and not in my play through of 3D when I couldn't remember any of it. I never really figured out why everyone used a guide for it. :p

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
See, I never did Water Temple using a guide. Not the first time, and not in my play through of 3D when I couldn't remember any of it. I never really figured out why everyone used a guide for it. :p
That was just me not taking any chances the first time through. The second time I only consulted a guide the few times when I got stuck. Honestly, I thought the Shadow Temple was worse, both times I played through the game.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Actually, it was the 2nd melody that got me. I never figured out by myself how the heck I was meant to get to that darn parrot. :p

As for the 4th melody, I got to it on my 2nd try, I think. It wasn't too much trouble, but I think Ana was dead by the time I got to the piano room. :p
Heh, I kept everyone alive through that entire mansion.

I watched the very same guide to get an idea on the plot...and then for strategy through the game (particularly for Mt. Itoi). And believe me, I often don't go at it alone, rather I solve as much as I can and if I get stuck, use a guide. My typical strategy in Zelda games. Outside Ocarina of Time's Water Temple, which I just followed the guide all the way through because of it's infamous difficulty.
It's come in handy, as without much of a useful map I probably would've never gotten to the Yucca Desert or Youngtown, until I ran into every dead end at least 15 times each.

ilysm

sleepy
I need to replay these games very soon, without a guide next time. It's fun watching everyone's progress on this thread! ^_^

Also, I found a neat little gimmick. If your opponent is too light or at too high a percent to get a regrab off dthrow -> fair, you can do dthrow -> reverse bair. The reverse hit of bair is a very weak attack with pretty much fixed knockback. It doesn't have enough hitstun to true combo into anything as far as I know, but if an opponent isn't expecting it it can be a very nice mixup to set up for a nair or grab.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

'Ey there, Ness'. Thought I'd introduce myself.

Didn't care for Ness in Melee or Brawl growing up, and didn't know what the hell a Mother or EarthBound was. However, I played :lucas: a lot in Brawl despite not knowing where he was from. Timeskip to SSB4, Lucas is cut so I think "...hey, why not give :4ness: a try?"

I didn't regret it. I've loved playing as him for several months, and I finally ended up playing EarthBound and getting into Ness in the other Smash games. I have him as one of my characters in every Smash game now except Melee, where he's just a pocket. Hope to meet some nice people around here, yo.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Pretty sure I'll be there, unless something really crazy happens that stops me from going.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I think one of our top Aussies is going to be there - it was a prize for winning SXC. It's nice that the Aus community is stepping up its game in this department - perhaps one day I'll win tickets to some big tournament where I'll see half of you. :p

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
You're welcome. Don't worry, I won't spoil it for you. But you do have to get Teddy in order to play that scene, so when you reach Ellay, I can tell you how to get him.
Going all the way back to this (this was way back on page 74!). Got Teddy today, and I should have time to play EarthBound Beginnings again sometime before the weekend. So when I am able to get back to it, I want to know what to do to get that scene to play.

By the way, don't spoil the scene for me, just tell me how to get to it please.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
If it's the scene I'm thinking of, all you need to do is progress through the game with Teddy as a party member for a little while. Shouldn't need to worry about anything in specific, right?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
image.jpeg

Flipping pure luck. Miiverse is the best.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
A long time ago (if I'm being frank this comes from all the way back in Brawl days) the idea came up (and I pushed it heavily) of a Ness and Lucas community combo video (because the PK Bros need to unite n'stuff). After seeing this I'm reminded that someday we need to make that happen. :D

But yeah Blueberry you've always made great stuff. Really happy to see you pull out another one.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I am speechless after that scene. Ana is flipping brave. Just, wow. Right in the feels. I think I'm gonna call it a day after that.

I really wish the main characters in EarthBound talked to each other more, like in EarthBound Beginnings. Of the scenes I've seen so far in the 2 games, that is definitely one of, if not the best. And I know there are a ton of good scenes in Mother 3, but I'm not counting those until I play the game.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So for tomorrow's big announcement, how would everyone feel if it was (even though it's very unlikely) an announcement that Mother 3 is coming to America (and possibly to coincide with it, we get Fourside, New Pork City, or some new EarthBound/Mother series stage in Smash)?

Last edited:

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
So for tomorrow's big announcement, how would everyone feel if it was (even though it's very unlikely) an announcement that Mother 3 is coming to America (and possibly to coincide with it, we get Fourside, New Pork City, or some new EarthBound/Mother series stage in Smash)?
Is the announcement confirmed for today?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Is the announcement confirmed for today?
Ya. But we don't know what about nor do we know the time it is at. It could've happened by now and I wouldn't know cause I'm at school.

Top Bottom