• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The switch-up we might have needed

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Hello fellow Oli-mains! With the Direct confirming Olimar can only hold 3 Pikmin and his new recovery, i was thinking about how much this is going to switch up Olimar's play style. I think this could be better for us, honestly. Previously, Olimar wanted to be at the center of the stage, forcing approaches with his Pikmin Toss and using his strong ground game to remain superior. But what suffered is Olimar's amazing aerial game- Fairs and Bairs just as good as Marth, dat Uair damage and combo-ability, and his Dair, which is a powerful Meteor Smash. I imagine Olimar's ground game will suffer camping-wise, but with 3 Pikmin, you can Dsmash to cycle colors faster. Also, we can now leave the stage and have some air battles without fear of getting ledgehogged due to the Winged Pikmin gaining some good distance and height. Olimar might have a ground AND air game this game, which makes for more interesting matches to not only play, but watch. Anyone else feel like weighing in on this?

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Agreed. Unlike others I'm actually very optimistic about the changes made to him. Maybe it's just a matter of different play styles, but form me, being able to more reliably leave the ground without fear of getting gimped will be well worth losing the ability to spam side-b to tack on damage.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
I'm beyond hype for this because the changes allow us to push the meta game so far now. 3DS and its early release will be a great place to start because although the controls won't be quite the same, we'll be able to gauge the moveset and start figuring it out before the big tournaments happen.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
If you knew how to use Olimar, you barely had to worry about his bad recovery. Now his recovery is the only good thing about him, they've completely destroyed everything else. Olimar was one of the two characters I played the most in Brawl, and between him and Snake I'm not sure which one takes the lead. Pikmin Throw is pretty much useless now, if you even think about throwing more than one Pikmin you'll be left practically defenseless. You won't even be able to use his down smash correctly, as on the second attack you'll only have the one Pikmin instead of two hitting in both directions. It will be incredibly difficult to space opponents and you can't overwhelm them with sheer damage potential using the Pikmin Throw anymore. Managing Pikmin will be incredibly mundane, as while it will now be easier to get what colour you want, now you have to kill off your Pikmin every time you want to switch between Red/Yellow/Blue and White/Purple. You won't be able to have all of them handy for when you need to switch things up, and you have to kill your Pikmin if you want to recover from a great distance. Pikmin is all about managing your army and trying to keep them alive and now Olimar is doing the exact opposite of that. He hasn't got an army either, just a measly three Pikmin, nothing like he's supposed to be at all. Honestly, the only thing that can make him salvageable at this point is if his Pikmin get a massive health upgrade and can last longer/do more damage/are faster, and if Olimar can actually use all of his moves without the need of Pikmin, which ruins the character entirely.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
If you knew how to use Olimar, you barely had to worry about his bad recovery. Now his recovery is the only good thing about him, they've completely destroyed everything else. Olimar was one of the two characters I played the most in Brawl, and between him and Snake I'm not sure which one takes the lead. Pikmin Throw is pretty much useless now, if you even think about throwing more than one Pikmin you'll be left practically defenseless. You won't even be able to use his down smash correctly, as on the second attack you'll only have the one Pikmin instead of two hitting in both directions. It will be incredibly difficult to space opponents and you can't overwhelm them with sheer damage potential using the Pikmin Throw anymore. Managing Pikmin will be incredibly mundane, as while it will now be easier to get what colour you want, now you have to kill off your Pikmin every time you want to switch between Red/Yellow/Blue and White/Purple. You won't be able to have all of them handy for when you need to switch things up, and you have to kill your Pikmin if you want to recover from a great distance. Pikmin is all about managing your army and trying to keep them alive and now Olimar is doing the exact opposite of that. He hasn't got an army either, just a measly three Pikmin, nothing like he's supposed to be at all. Honestly, the only thing that can make him salvageable at this point is if his Pikmin get a massive health upgrade and can last longer/do more damage/are faster, and if Olimar can actually use all of his moves without the need of Pikmin, which ruins the character entirely.
Just wait and see before you go to the conclusion of they killed him.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I already know they killed him, Olimar is supposed to be surrounded by many Pikmin, not a measly three.

If anything, they should have gave him more of them, this is awful.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I already know they killed him, Olimar is supposed to be surrounded by many Pikmin, not a measly three.

If anything, they should have gave him more of them, this is awful.
Can you tell me with 100% certainty that olimar will be bad? (I have no motive to make you go back on what your say. i just want to know how certain you are.)

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
Olimar falls to A- tier and thats it because of his lack of numbers in Pikmin. Otherwise his recovery got better, and you'll have to manage a much better game if you want to pluck the proper Pikmin and keep a certain style of play

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Can you tell me with 100% certainty that olimar will be bad? (I have no motive to make you go back on what your say. i just want to know how certain you are.)
I know that Olimar will no longer play the same, he won't be like Olimar anymore. You have 100 Pikmin in the games, and Brawl already had barely a portion of that, but it was expected because of the environment and limits of a fighting game. Just having three is an awful representation of what Pikmin is, and it will make his fighting style completely different from what it once was. I do think he'll be worse, but not necessarily bad, though I never was one for tiers in the first place. I'm just going to have a really awkward time trying to play Olimar and adjust to him, it'll really bother me that I won't be able to have all five types of Pikmin out at once...

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I know that Olimar will no longer play the same, he won't be like Olimar anymore. You have 100 Pikmin in the games, and Brawl already had barely a portion of that, but it was expected because of the environment and limits of a fighting game. Just having three is an awful representation of what Pikmin is, and it will make his fighting style completely different from what it once was. I do think he'll be worse, but not necessarily bad, though I never was one for tiers in the first place. I'm just going to have a really awkward time trying to play Olimar and adjust to him, it'll really bother me that I won't be able to have all five types of Pikmin out at once...
I see then this fall into a more personal problem. Well thanks for expressing your opinion. Im not an olimar main but i thought is was a neat change.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
The only thing less Pikmin means to me is conservation of side-b and a slightly more defensive playstyle. I can't think of anything else the change affects.

Last edited:

lami

Smash Journeyman
so you'd rather olimar have 100 pikmin on screen and just throw them everywhere over a more manageable 3 pikmin? you can't say for certain that they nerfed anybody in the game, man. its all speculation at this point. no one wants to see their favorite character fall down the tier list, but don't go doomsaying just yet.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
so you'd rather olimar have 100 pikmin on screen and just throw them everywhere over a more manageable 3 pikmin? you can't say for certain that they nerfed anybody in the game, man. its all speculation at this point. no one wants to see their favorite character fall down the tier list, but don't go doomsaying just yet.
Honestly, i want to see Olimar fall. Not by a lot. He was B tier when Brawl came out. I'd be fine with that so when i pick him people don't role their eyes like when people pick Metaknight in Brawl.

Top Bottom