• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The third party Companies thread (Update 23/10/07)

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
ok, so people have been making threads about third party characters and the like, but we have to take something into account. Sakurai isn't going to let one company have more playable characters than the other in order to prevent a risk of damaging relationships. so, at the moment, it looks like Sega and Konami have donated one character each. So, it looks like we'll get one character from other companies, right?

good, glad you agree. now then, let's take a look at some third party companies that seem to have some appeal

Capcom: Capcom, being responsible for the legendary Megaman (hears cheer from the Megaman fans) seems to be a top runner. however, let's not forget Viewtiful Joe, and of course the street fighter series

Square Enix: these guys dreamt up the ever long Final Fantasy series, which started on the NES, then took the money option to go to Sony. Geno seems to have the most appeal, yet crowds are wanting Sora and Mallow aswell. Even Cloud (but that's as probable as Earth's gravity switching off right now.

Namco Bandai: Lloyd and his Tales of w/e chums hail from this company, but it looks like they aren't getting much support. However, Pacman seems to be seen as the new WTF character like Game and watch in Melee

Ubisoft: Rayman, Splinter Cell, these guys have a fairly good history with Nintendo, expecially with Rayman. they have a fairly good chance

Hudson Soft these guys have Bomberman under their belt. a character who is a great gaming icon.

Midway: Midway have the ever gorey game, Mortal Kombat to take, but with something that violent, I am starting to doubt the chances of any specific character

Buena Vista Games (or Disney) these guys have half rights over Sora, so, they should really be tied with Square, but I had to put them in anyway

Treasure: a company (who i havent heard of until now (don't hurt me, please)) who had made Sin & punishment.

(Rare: the creators of Banjo Kazooie and the like. I know they are owned by microsoft and stuff, but I thought they are worth a mention. they did good nintendo games)

So, in ranking order

1. Capcom
2. Hudson Soft
3. Ubisoft
4. Square
5. Midway
6. Treasure
(Rare)(Reason why this is in brackets? well, it's still a wavering possibility on whether or not this company are allowed to give Sakurai one of their characters)
7. Namco
8. Buena Vista (I think that's right, havent played Kingdom hearts in ages)games (Disney)

and the characters

1. Megaman (Capcom)
2. Geno (Square)
3. Bomberman (Hudson soft)
4. Viewtiful Joe (capcom)
5. Chrono (Square)
6. Pacman (Namco)
(Battle Toads) ((Rare))
(Banjo Kazooie) ((Rare))
7. Mallow (Square)
8. sora (Square/Buena Vista)
9. Marina or any other character from her series (treasure)
10. any one from Street Fighter (most likley Ryu) (Capcom)
11. Scorpion (or other chracters from Mortal Kombat) (Midway)
12. Sam Fischer (if he got in, I predict a Solid Snake clone) (Ubisoft)
13. final fantasy characters which have appeared on a nintendo console in the first place (square)
14. anyone from the Tale of series (most likley Lloyd Irving) (Namco)
15. any sword wielding loony from the Soul Calibur series (most probably Siegfried or Nightmare) (Namco)
16. any final fantasy character that was established on a playstation console, whether or not they appeared on a nintendo console for a smidgeon of a second (Square)

now, unless something comes up, I'll be periodically updating this thread, monitoring the development of this thread, and you can mention third party companies, their characters and why they should be in it.

and before anyone says that this has been done, I've checked and the threads focus on characters, I'm focusing on companies. characters come second to me.

Oh, and those who say Bungie with Master Chief, I'm not bothering with that. the key is that he needs to be on a nintendo console BEFORE the game was in development. Halo DS wasn't fully developed in the first place. and the project was pulled just as it was about to hit shelves (probably because Microsoft are working on a portable console themselves in order to join the fight)

Update* okie dokie, after updating various things, Pacman has put his lead forward, and over taken Mallow. Rare has been added, but because it's not a very big possibility, I put it in brackets, so they are kind of half there. Lloyd Irving seems to be gaining popularity, so he had managed to help his Tale of w/e chumcs up a square, overtaking Soul Calibur (which is ironic, seeing as he was just confirmed for a Soul Calibur game)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Megaman is getting in and Geno as a Mario character and that's about it.

Megaman has been predicted...

Geno is an obvious choice with know information...

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
You forgot characters. Really, you did.

-Pac-Man
I do now know how you can even include the Namco company without including this guy. He's crossed paths with Nintendo Characters twice, so what makes it impossible for him to be featured a third time? A moveset would be really easy to make, and an interesting choice for the WTF character.

-Ubisoft
Ubisoft has been very friendly with Nintendo since the Wii has been on the market. The primary choice for this company would be Rayman, and I would love to see him in there. Sam Fischer would be interesting, but I doubt his chances.

Silent_Hill_Crossing

Smash Apprentice
Namco, could also have Nightmare from SC series, Midway has gotten close to Nintendo recently (Scorpion), and Ubisoft with Bomber Man=Gold.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wait...what about Bomberman, he has a GREAT chance

Rakath

Smash Ace
Capcom choices:
Rock Man
X
Zero
Vent/Aile (Some colors are Vent, others are Aile)

Squeenix choices:
Geno or Mallow
FFVI (Sabin/Locke/Terra)
FFTA (Mache/Ritz/Luso/Adel)
Chrono Trigger (Crono/Lucca)
Seiken Densetsu 3 (Yeah, yeah, my pipedream: Houkuai or Riisu)

Bandai-Namco
Soul Calibur (Siegfried/Talim/Nightmare)
Tales (Never played, can't name cast)

Those are my thoughts, however it really is a toss between Rock and Geno (or both get in).

Silent_Hill_Crossing

Smash Apprentice
Bandai-Namco
Soul Calibur (Siegfried/Talim/Nightmare)

Talim isn't as important to SE/SC story line as any of them two, or Taki/Mitsurugi so huh?

This proves your an idiot, Bomberman is owned by Hudson Soft not Ubisoft, and you dare to say you don't fail?
So I made ONE mistake. Troll much?

You still fail for thinking Sora isn't Disney.

Silent_Hill_Crossing

Smash Apprentice
again no proof? FAIL!

I won't tolerate your self pwnage any longer you just pwned yourself in this thread, contradicting everything you said in the other thread, your a ****ing failure.

Sorry you PWNED yourself.

You said he has partial rights between Disney and SE, but SE only has rights with permission from Disney to use him. I'm still correct and you made yourself a fool. Good day. And if you ignored me why did you respond?

Stop the fail.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Sorry you PWNED yourself.

You said he has partial rights between Disney and SE, but SE only has rights with permission from Disney to use him. I'm still correct and you made yourself a fool. Good day. And if you ignored me why did you respond?

Stop the fail.
No I didn't you did, you don't have proof, you speak so cocky about this ****, yet you probably have no idea what you're talking about, go check the copyright in the game's package and feel bad for your constant self pwnage later, and I responded because you need to stop your stupidity, seriously, you're the only one who thinks Disney has the last word on anything Kingdom Hearts related, you're the only one who feels that way, now stop replying because your ignorance is only matched by your stupidity, ignored you ****er!

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Sorry to break this, but, Sora indeed is partially owned by Disney. For Sora's inclusion, Nintendo would have to get permission from both Square Enix and Disney.

Silent_Hill_Crossing

Smash Apprentice
No I didn't you did, you don't have proof, you speak so cocky about this ****, yet you probably have no idea what you're talking about, go check the copyright in the game's package and feel bad for your constant self pwnage later, and I responded because you need to stop your stupidity, seriously, you're the only one who thinks Disney has the last word on anything Kingdom Hearts related, you're the only one who feels that way, now stop replying because your ignorance is only matched by your stupidity, ignored you ****er!
You posted the link moron.

And again KH=/= Sora the character.

Lern2Read fool.

I love it.

Zevox

Smash Lord
-Pac-Man
I do now know how you can even include the Namco company without including this guy. He's crossed paths with Nintendo Characters twice, so what makes it impossible for him to be featured a third time? A moveset would be really easy to make, and an interesting choice for the WTF character.
I've got to second this - how on earth can you mention Namco, but focus on the Tales series rather than this classic? Hes one of the few video game characters older than Mario to still be considered an icon of the industry! (Heck, perhaps the only one - the only other I can think of that old is Mr Game & Watch, and hes hardly an icon of the industry.) If anybody from Namco shows up, it'll be Pac-Man, no doubts there.

And yeah, Hudson Soft with Bomberman needs to be on list, and above the likes of Mallow. Hes one of those who is just behind Mega Man in terms of fans and requests to be in Brawl.

Zevox

Silent_Hill_Crossing

Smash Apprentice
What Link?

The **** link you posted idiot.

Do you even have a grasp of reality?

And I've said SE had a partial along with Geno before , and you said Disney didn't have any right over Sora.

Then you switch and say they both own him.

You fail.

The other topic is the link genius.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Pacs is Iconic, but I'd rather see him as his Iconic (read: Arcade) form as an AT as opposed to the full 3D arms and legs monstrosity he becomes later on.

Bomberman and Rayman... the thing is the same reason to add them is the reason to add Rock Man, and Rock Man's 20th gives him an edge (also, he's ROCK MAN).

I think it mostly depends on what Sakurai asks for. None of these 3rd parties have a reason to say no (and a few like Squeenix and Capcom have every reason to say yes).

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
I've got to second this - how on earth can you mention Namco, but focus on the Tales series rather than this classic? Hes one of the few video game characters older than Mario to still be considered an icon of the industry! (Heck, perhaps the only one - the only other I can think of that old is Mr Game & Watch, and hes hardly an icon of the industry.) If anybody from Namco shows up, it'll be Pac-Man, no doubts there.
Thank you. I am glad to see that my post wasn't over-read. That seems to happen to me a lot...

Pacs is Iconic, but I'd rather see him as his Iconic (read: Arcade) form as an AT as opposed to the full 3D arms and legs monstrosity he becomes later on.

Bomberman and Rayman... the thing is the same reason to add them is the reason to add Rock Man, and Rock Man's 20th gives him an edge (also, he's ROCK MAN).
I would personally like to see Pac-Man playable. I am not the biggest fan of his arms an legs, but how great does this match-up sound?

Mario vs. Pac-Man vs. Mr. Game and Watch vs. Megaman
Icon Rivalry

OR

Donkey Kong vs. Pac-man
Old School Arcade Rivalry

Life does not get much sweeter than that,

Rakath

Smash Ace
I would personally like to see Pac-Man playable. I am not the biggest fan of his arms an legs, but how great does this match-up sound?

Mario vs. Pac-Man vs. Mr. Game and Watch vs. Megaman
Icon Rivalry

OR

Donkey Kong vs. Pac-man
Old School Arcade Rivalry

Life does not get much sweeter than that,
Except the Mario Pacs Game Rock fight can't happen unless Sakurai upped the third party count.

And technically Donkey Kong isn't Donkey Kong from the arcade game, as that Donky Kong is Donkey "Cranky" Kong, the old man in all the DKC games. But that never stopped a good fight. ^_^

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
You might as well include Treasure. There's already an AT from Sin & Punishment confirmed, so a playable character from them seems like a certain possibility.

I'm going for Marina.

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
ok, so, I've been updating everything. more stuff is in, I have included the companies you mentioned. you can take a look at the rankings and say whether they should be different (bearing in mind, it should be based on their actual chances of getting in, not your opinions.)

Tlaloc

Smash Journeyman
To original poster; you should consider from Bandai/Namco the Soul franchise (Sophitia or Cassandra). Also I doubt Midway will get a chance for Brawl since they are a western company and their characters are hardly known in Japan.

And you forgot to add SNK/Playmore as company since they have the Neo Geo on the virtual console.

nobletoast

Smash Journeyman
Square didnt take Final Fantasy to Sony for money. They did it because they thought they couldnt make the game as good as they wanted on cartridges than on discs. Im sure Nintendo would have had more money to offer back then.

GregUnit

Smash Journeyman
Why are people so hellbent on thinking Cloud and Sora will get in? Just stop it they aren't. They have to have a good reason to be in not be in the game you wrote 1,000 slash fanfictions about.

Also, toast is correct. Everyone left Nintendo because they made 64 cartridge instead of disk and everyone wanted to do cut scenes and make games multi-disk.

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
to Tlaloc: I'll do that another time, my internet is lagging like hell. if I edit it now, it'll take a while to do what I need, and plus I'm uber lazy, so...

to 2wo Shots: I'll add him when you tell me which games company he's from. I wasn't particularly interested in a game involving law.

to nobletoast: ok, fair enough, but you have to remember that Nintendo tried to put a disk drive in the 64 (or the snes, can't remember which one) so they asked Sony, then broke off with Sony and asked phillips, then gave up all together. both sony and phillips carried on. Sony got the playstation and became successful. Phillips got their paper weight and failed miserably. but I stand corrected. I guess I've heard many people say Square was going for the money, it caught on

to GregUnit: I know how you feel, but people just wont let it go! don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind cloud or Sora, but they just dont have a hope in hell

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
Personally I think that they don't want to add characters who will confuse the identity of the game. Smash Bros needs to keep it's own feel, and if they add Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy or Soul Calibur types of people then items and themes will come too. Eventually the fans of those series would turn SSBB into something that it's not, which is why I don't think Sakurai will do it. Not to bad mouth those series mind you but that's my two cents on that.

I'd like to add Rare as a company, specifically a character from Battletoads. Although Microsoft does own them now they have games on VC and Nintendo is the last remaining game company that had the original Battletoads game for it (think it was released for Nintendo, Sega and Amiga). It'd be a lot of fun to see one of those frogs turn his skull into a football helmet and headbutt Pikachu into the next life.

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
Okay, I am glad you added the companies that you did. There are some things still not in place, however, and here they are.

-Rayman
Rayman actually has a high chance of entering Brawl. I don't know how you don't have him on the list but you have Sam Fischer. Raving Rabbids and Raving Rabbids 2 on Wii and DS look good for this guy, and Ubisoft is uber friendly to Nintendo lately.

-Pac-Man
Good thing you added him, but how does he go lower than Mallow? Pac-Man is definetely in with the top 3 characters that are still left: Megaman, Bomberman and Pac-Man. Remember, he is in the new Mario Kart game for the arcades, so it would be easier to get Pac-Man than to get other characters,

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
personally, because Pac-Man only... well, eats, as far as I can see (I haven't played any of the 3D games, never appealed to me...) and it would be difficult for the devs to make up a moveset.

and I knew he was in the Mario Kart Arcade things, but how the smeg did the tamagochi guy get in? :p

I'll deal with the lists when I get on tomorrow. hopefully the boards wont be lagging as much as they did today (well, they did for me)

And, Tidal Sprial, although Rare would be a good addition, Microsoft own them. I know you said that, but that means they own the rights to the characters, like Banjo Kazooie, and Conker, which makes them 4th party, and Nintendo would have to go through Microsoft before asking rare, and as Microsoft did try to buy out nintendo a while ago, i doubt their relationship is that strong right now. I may add them anyway, but they really don't have that high a chance. Battletoads I haven't heard of before. could you fill me in?

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
personally, because Pac-Man only... well, eats, as far as I can see (I haven't played any of the 3D games, never appealed to me...) and it would be difficult for the devs to make up a moveset.

and I knew he was in the Mario Kart Arcade things, but how the smeg did the tamagochi guy get in? :p
See, heres the thing. Now you are bringing personal opinion in on this. In all seriousness, Pac-Man has great chances, and his moveset would be extremely easy. Give him some punches, kicks, body-rolling, pellet-throwing, ghost attacking powers and he'll be fine.

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman

I'll deal with the lists when I get on tomorrow. hopefully the boards wont be lagging as much as they did today (well, they did for me)

And, Tidal Sprial, although Rare would be a good addition, Microsoft own them. I know you said that, but that means they own the rights to the characters, like Banjo Kazooie, and Conker, which makes them 4th party, and Nintendo would have to go through Microsoft before asking rare, and as Microsoft did try to buy out nintendo a while ago, i doubt their relationship is that strong right now. I may add them anyway, but they really don't have that high a chance. Battletoads I haven't heard of before. could you fill me in?
I think the Wiki article would probably explain it better than I could, but basically it's a trio of large muscular frog-men who beat the daylights out of various enemies. While attacking, they mysteriously are able to transform body parts into various objects to cause more damage, for example: headbutt gives ram horns or football helmet, punch can enlarge fists or turn into massive boxing glove, kicks can turn into a huge boot or in one game a giant boat anchor, and they could turn into a wrecking ball while jumping to swing into enemies.

Here's a link for the Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battletoads

Don't worry about adding them, just thought it was a good idea if Microsoft would be cool about it, or they had somehow missed the rights to this specific series.

Top Bottom