• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Three M's of Smash, Thoughts from Zoap

Zoap

Smash Master
A few nights ago, as I was lying in bed, I began thinking about what I’ve come to call the three M’s. The 3 M’s are 3 of the most important aspects of gaming in general that you can come to understand and ultimately use to improve your game play no matter the game. I will go through and explain what each of them is, how they affect your play, and why I believe they are important.

The first M of the three while valuable it is not nearly as important as the other two I will mention.

1. Motivation, by definition is something that motivates; inducement; incentive, basically what is driving you to play. While coming in various forms as simple as you paid your $5 entry fee and want to get your moneys worth to that you’re going to being playing one of the top competitors the next round and you want that for the experience. Or it can be simply that, the drive to better ones self through more and more experience.

Whatever your motivation is heading into a tournament or even a match, without it there is no drive and with no drive there is no will to play, let alone compete. Due to this, this one M can account for bad play, sandbagging and even not wanting to play. Friendlies are a prime example of lack of motivation, as there is no money involved and not the sense of competitiveness. This also accounts for sandbagging, a part of many games often frowned upon. People don’t seem to realize that because of this M or lack thereof a person is unconsciously unable to control this annoying yet simple action.

The reason I feel this M, is important to a gamer is for the simple fact that provided the right motivation the human being is capable of amazing things. Motivation accounts for rising stars, players not performing and the reason for sandbagging.

The second M is very important and is ultimately linked to the success of the player.

2. Mentality/Mindset, by definition is the set of one's mind; view; outlook or an attitude, disposition, or mood. As the definition clearly states, this is ones way of viewing a situation or the attitude, disposition or mood you take to that situation. This M while seeming clear comes in many forms and can be very complicated.
The reason I feel this M bear more pertinence then Motivation is this as such a broader scope. Mentality can ranges from being sick (physically) to being sick mentally. Mentally sick can result from things directly linked to the game play or outside events. For example at a recent tournament I attended, after beating a high ranked player of the area I made a call home to make sure they weren’t expecting me for dinner. To my surprise I found out that my dog had got out and had not been found. My mood (directly linked to my mindset) immediately changed from happy to concern, I no longer had motivation to play because of other events affecting my mindset. Another example of mentality ultimately being the players demise, is viewing the bracket before your prescheduled match to find out your playing a player that you know you can not beat. Some go into the game with the pre-mindset of no chance of winning and won’t bother to try.
Of course with most things in life there is a brighter side to this M. As how it can be your enemy it can also be your ally. With positive mindsets and a brighter mentality, a player can accomplish great things in little time. A good example of this would be PC Chris, KoreanDJ and The King. All three players never let their hard times affect their mindset of the game. Instead of saying they couldn’t, they just used the experience to better themselves. I’ll use a direct example from a personal experience with one of the players. After traveling to an Arizona tournament recently The King was said to have been watching the finals between himself and Forward, one match in particular. The match was a Fox (Forward) versus Jigglypuff (King), in the end the King ended up three stocking Forward’s Fox and Zelgadis became confused as to why King would be concerned with that match. King told him that he wanted to know why he hadn’t four stocked him. This one thing struck me as odd at first when I head Zelgadis tell me, and then I thought about it a little, King took the mindset that his 3 stock was not good enough and he needed to know what he could do to fix it.

The third and final M of the three can hold the most importance, just simply because once a player has it is much harder to stop them.

3. Momentum, by definition is an impelling force or strength. As with the other two I will try and save examples for the next paragraph but if you don’t understand the definition, a simpler way of looking at it is winning consecutively. As with the other M’s this can be match wins or as simple as taking the first stock in the match. It is because of this huge availability of momentum that it becomes a players most helpful M of the three.

So why do I think this is the most important. As I have stated because momentum encompasses a vast field of availability. Momentum can shift from one player to the other; it can change the match, the set or even the tournaments whole outcome. For example I went to a small tournament a few weeks ago, I started out horribly losing my first match by sandbagging(not using my main) but because this player was leaving he allowed me to advance and he would go to losers. It didn’t help I went into the next match(a peach ditto) with a horrible mindset and no momentum. Sure enough I lost, and jumped to the losers bracket. It was then I used the next few matches to gain my momentum, I won my losers bracket match with the top competitor 2-1 in very close matches. The next match came against an opponent who I knew I could beat and only added to my momentum. It was next that I faced the person(the peach ditto) in the losers with the winner going to the finals and having to win 6. The first match was looking grim with him taking the first stock. It came down to the last stock, I was at high 80’s(not feeling much of anything momentum wise) and he at 15 or so percent when he drew a Bomb. It was then that I ran at him shielded in front of him, he threw it and took all the damage, while my shield had protected me. At 50% he had lost all momentum and I went on to win the set 3-1. Riding the momentum I went into the finals and proceeded to win 6-1 with out much worrying. It taught me that even with a few blunders to start a player can regain and ultimately take control of momentum.

These are just three things I consider to be important whether you agree or not any need to flood this thread with negative or thoughtless comments. Thank You

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
"How do you feel?"

"um.. i think-"

*flick*
"DON'T THINK! FEEEEEL. It is like a finger pointing away to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all the heavenly glory." ~ Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon/Isai vs MoFo 4-stock ****

good sh*t zoap, one experienced norcaler we've got here.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

Seriously. I'm surprised too.

The thing that really surprises me is that the Melee Discussion Board has been flooded with these topics and the Melee Discussion Board has been kind enough to not be assinine in it's response. Kudos to all.

And Zoap, very nicely thought out. Interesting read.

KoreanDJ111

Smash Lord
Wow, great post.

Motivation is the foundation of improvement. Without the passion, there's no love.

Mentality also is what elevates the foundation and how quickly you can improve.

Momentum is the adrenaline in your mentality to make things more thrilling as well as making you improve at rapid paces. It never tires you out in a tournament. Way more energetic than a red bull drink.

Good stuff Zoap.

Respawn

Smash Journeyman
In the shadows. Or NE Ohio. Whichever sounds bette
not be assinine
Wait, was that an intentional misspelling? Because if it was, then nice.

Anyway, I too am surprised. Maybe the Mods finally got to people...

Nice post. Well worth the read. The three M's, in my opinion, basically describes how life itself should be lived. In order to be successful in your life, I believe that practicing these three M's can really help you out. Despite the fact that these have been related to smash, I still believe that this can be applied to everyday life.

Motivation to get you going
Mentality to help you go
Momentum to push you through

Hopefully everybody reads the yellow writing at the bottom, as I would hate to see a well thought-out thread like this flooded with nonsensical crap.

blaargh198

Smash Apprentice
Nice post, good info.
btw, is it just me, or have there been a whole lot more of these kinds of tutorial/theory threads in melee discussion lately?

Sensai

Smash Master
Yes, it was an intentional misspelling. I'm surprised anyone even realized, haha. I attempted to make it a tad bit more obvious by bolding it.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I expected "Mindgames" to be one of the M's, but to be honest, I'm glad it wasn't.

Great thread and +rep.

You don't need a reputation system to gain rep :)

Eaode

Smash Champion
great read, this is a deep and truthful concept. Food for thought.

And the reason the melee room is filled wit good topics is because all ofthe would-be spammers have moved to the brawl rooms.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
One of the best threads I've seen here for a while.

Good stuff. Made a lot of sense, and can be used as a good beginners guideline.

Zoap

Smash Master
Thanks for the comments guys. Wrote this out in class the day after and they deleted it from their computers :( Oh well its here if i need it. Also I love how DJ took my whole essay and summed up what I wanted in 3 sentences, no wonder he got so good so fast :psycho:

Brookman

Smash Hero
Thanks for the comments guys. Wrote this out in class the day after and they deleted it from their computers :( Oh well its here if i need it. Also I love how DJ took my whole essay and summed up what I wanted in 3 sentences, no wonder he got so good so fast :psycho:
LOL

Very good post, makes me want to play smash, almost.

Cort

Apple Head
1 agree w1+h pre++y much everyone else 1n +h1s +op1c.

But honestly, it was a fairly good and refreshing read for once.

PichuFTW

Smash Rookie
That was a really interesting read, zoap. Great truth when you said momentum is an enormous factor, at least in my experience. If I lose a few matches in a row close on SDs or barely missing the final kill, all of a sudden I start getting 3 or 4 stocked for another 10 matches or so before motivation pushes me into pulling some sort of insane combo or a nasty gimp (with Pichu, heheh), which gets me more upbeat again. Then I start winning a lot :) until I burn out that momentum to a more balanced feel.

I distinctly remember a huge instance of this a few days ago. I was playing DK in one of those big slumps, losing 9 matches in a row, I was down a few stock. Then I pulled a really choppy bair -> bair -> bair -> dair for the kill. I made the comeback, the my opponent switched to Samus, who utterly destroys my DK. But that momentum wave kept me on a winning streak for 6 more matches or so before it burned out.

It's a constant flow of momentum that can dictate playing ability (for me at least...) Good job on your post.

_wzrd

Smash Journeyman
insightful post. i have been considering these ideas a lot lately in smash, and in other areas in my life that i feel require growth.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
lol these things pretty much apply to any kind of competitive sport or activity in existence. I was a little disappointed that it was just so broad and vague but it was still a nice read.

Top Bottom