• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Top 5 Best First-Person Shooters

finalark

SNORLAX
Link to original post: [drupal=1304]The Top 5 Best First-Person Shooters[/drupal]

It's 9:30 on a Saturday night where I live. And while I was sitting in front of my laptop listen to Wake up Your Heart and chatting with a friend of mine on Xfire, I suddenly got a weird urge to write something. So I tried to think of something fast that I could just type. Then I thought, "hey, why not a top five list?" And so this is the result.

First-Person Shooters are my least favorite genre. This probably has less to do with actual FPS games and more to do with the fact that developers are doing their best the suck the FPS cow as dry as possible. In other words, I'm sick of FPS. But I'm going to compile a list of what I consider to be the five best that I've played.

5: Painkiller:

Made by Polish developers People Can Fly, Painkiller is First-Person shooting so old school that if it wasn't too busy being baddass it would be dusty for how old school it's game play is. All Painkiller is, is a game in which it's just you, some people that really need to die, and a whole bunch of guns to do the job. You use weapons to kill tuns of baddies ranging from a typical shotgun to a gun that pins dudes to walls with wooden stakes. You can also collect dead people's souls to unlock new ways to kill people, there's also a card-collecting mini game which makes it even easier to kill people. But the game is about more than just killing tuns and tuns of baddies... you have.... um.... er.... okay, so it is just killing tuns and tuns of baddies but that doesn't matter because man does it feel good to come home after a long day and kill stress by blowing off someones head.

4: Metroid Prime:

For those of you who pay attention to the Metroid franchise, you'll know that Samus' only games (until the gamecube came out) were Metroid, Meroid II: The Return of Samus, and Super Metroid. No Metroid game ever saw the light of day for the Ninteno 64. But then the big N let an American developer called Reto Studios make the game. Now, normally if you let some one other than the original developers make a game it ends up being really bad. But not here, here they made one of the best FPS' ever made. I would go on, but I want to talk about the next one on the list.

3: Halo

I never owned an Xbox, but I did own the first Halo for my PC. And I have to say, while it "revolutionized" the FPS genre with regenerating health and really lowering the amount of weapons you could carry, it was still fun. And there were plenty of memories made from the online battles with my friends. Although my arch-nemesis nostalgia probably makes this game better than it is. But hey, every game is a hundred times better when you play it with mates.

2: Half Life (2)

Valve's original Half Life is an amazing FPS that was made by Valve entertainment. Now, I'm not saying that the first Half Life was better than it's incredible sequel, Half Life 2. I liked the both so much, but I didn't want to put two games of the same series on the list. So if this game is Half Life or Half Life 2 is up to you. So Half Life, a game filled to the brim with scientific undertones (I don't know if I worded that right) and super-smooth game play. I would say more about Valve's incredible game, but it's starting to get late and I'm started to get tired.

1: Bioshock

What more could you ask for in an FPS, nay, a game, not even that, a work of art. Bioshock... a perfect mixture of dark mystery and intense FPS action. No other game has given me such a beautifully dark experience as Bioshock. Filled with suspense and action, Bioshock is a masterpiece. I wish I just knew how to put my amazement with this game into words. Bioshock is one of, if not the best game(s) I have ever played. Now why are you sitting here reading this? Go buy this game, now.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I really liked that list, I played all except for number 5.
The original Doom was also a notable FPS from yesteryear, and Turok for honorable mentions. It utililized many different weapons, even crossbows.

I'm surprised no CoD's were mentioned, because those have some enormous popularity. Medal of Honor was pretty amazing too.

finalark

SNORLAX
I really liked that list, I played all except for number 5.
The original Doom was also a notable FPS from yesteryear, and Turok for honorable mentions. It utililized many different weapons, even crossbows.

I'm surprised no CoD's were mentioned, because those have some enormous popularity. Medal of Honor was pretty amazing too.
It's been a really long time since I played Doom, I should give it a shot again. Turok was neat too.

And I never could get into the Call of Duty series. And plus, just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good (I.E. Twilight). Although I played the Multi-Player for CoD 5, and I liked what I played. And I only briefly played Metal Of Honor, so I can't really establish an opinion on it.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Since it's not Top 10, I was just suggesting you add an honorable mention for it.
The only Call of Duty I actually liked was the new one, I grew a little tired of fighting the World Wars for every war game. You really should try out some more Medal of Honor. It was amazing on the PS2.

Turok had exploding arrows, which automatically made it good. And dinosaurs.

:yoshi2:

finalark

SNORLAX
Since it's not Top 10, I was just suggesting you add an honorable mention for it.
The only Call of Duty I actually liked was the new one, I grew a little tired of fighting the World Wars for every war game. You really should try out some more Medal of Honor. It was amazing on the PS2.

Turok had exploding arrows, which automatically made it good. And dinosaurs.

:yoshi2:
I haven't played CoD 4 yet, so I really don't know what I think about it. And if I can find a used MoH for the PS2 I'll be sure to pick it up.

And exploding arrows plus dinosaurs sequels equals win.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
CoD4 was pretty much like a real life situation. You're Soap MacTavish, the rookie in a squad of elite British SAS. You can ever snap dogs necks. It's controls were amazing, you could throw flash grenades and smoke, C4, claymores. One level in particular made this game great, the sniper level where you play as Captain Price.

Too true. You could even use a hatchetesque stone axe to beat the **** out of these tiny dinosaurs.

finalark

SNORLAX
CoD4 was pretty much like a real life situation. You're Soap MacTavish, the rookie in a squad of elite British SAS. You can ever snap dogs necks. It's controls were amazing, you could throw flash grenades and smoke, C4, claymores. One level in particular made this game great, the sniper level where you play as Captain Price.

Too true. You could even use a hatchetesque stone axe to beat the **** out of these tiny dinosaurs.
I've heard a lot of good things about CoD 4. It's gone down in price a bit due to CoD: WaW coming out. I'll have to pick that up as well some time.

Yeah, that's Turok alright. If I can ever find that game I'll have to buy it again some time. Then I can go kill dinos. WITH EXPLODING ARROWS!

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I've heard a lot of good things about CoD 4. It's gone down in price a bit due to CoD: WaW coming out. I'll have to pick that up as well some time.

Yeah, that's Turok alright. If I can ever find that game I'll have to buy it again some time. Then I can go kill dinos. WITH EXPLODING ARROWS!
It was pretty good, I enjoyed it. I never did get World at War, though. Can't afford a lot of games any more.

Dude. They even have poison arrows.
This game was just too good.

finalark

SNORLAX
It was pretty good, I enjoyed it. I never did get World at War, though. Can't afford a lot of games any more.

Dude. They even have poison arrows.
This game was just too good.
I usually don't buy games unless they're used. It's cheaper and you can get more of them. But I usually choose to hold on to my money, I don't spend freely.

Turok was freakin' sweat. I need to find that game again so I can wipe the dust off my N64 and use the poor neglected thing again.

kirbypika

Smash Cadet
#5: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
#4: Counter-Strike 1.6
#3: Goldeneye 64
#2: Team Fortress: 2
#1: Quake III Arena

All of these games have outstanding multiplayer.
Only 1 game on your list has good multiplayer... IMO a good FPS needs an outstanding multiplayer. Without it, single player doesn't cut it for me.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
1. Timesplitters
2. Timesplitters Future Perfect
3. Timesplitters 2
4. Red Faction 2 or DOOM
5. Cold Winter

Yes, I am a huge fan of the Timesplitters series, and possibly the only one who thinks the first is the best and the second isn't as good as the others, although it is still fantastic.
Red Faction 2 was odd, I liked it, then hated it halfway through the story (after the plot twist), left it a few years, finished it and loved it.
Cold Winter is an extremely underrated FPS, that I got for £3.99 from Woolworths because my sister had bought LotR- The Two Towers, so I got to choose a game. I was skeptical at first, as it seemed a bit too difficult for my liking, but after playing through a few missions, I began to really enjoy it. I'm nowhere near finished though :laugh:.

An Honorable mention would be Area 51, which I haven't finished. Up to now, I'm really enjoying this, and the whole Alien transformation is implemented really well.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
lolhalo

1. System Shock 2
2. Quake 3 Arena
3. Unreal Tournament (99)
4. Serious Sam 2
5. Quake

Honorable Mention: Noah's Ark.

kevinw0w

Smash Journeyman
CSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

never even heard of Painkillers, and Metroid has... does it have multi-player? W/e.

Gawd, what a FPS n00b.

I kid.

Project D

Smash Journeyman
the favorite FPS i've played...
1.Counter-Strike: Source - hell yes, like a 10 year old game since the first, can never get bored of it with all the glitching possible and generally talk through mic half the time and is REALLY fun, can never get bored of it.
2.Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - after getting out of the world war 2, comes in with a more present feel to it, nice graphics, good gameplay.
3. Battlefield 2 - huge maps! OMG and you can run people over in cars and decent graphics. plus, you can bomb people in jets.
4.Metroid Prime - great series, and made really nicely, and graphics were brilliant for GCN.
5. Fallout 3/Half Life 2: i've not palyed these but they probably would go here (despite Fallout is pretty much an RPG but it has FPS elements) so i'll just say Battlefield 2142 for the sake of it cause i can't remember most of the FPS i've played.

Geist

Smash Master
Painkiller is the ****.
You can get a gun that shoots ****ing shurikens and lighting.

My favorites are, in no specific order whatsoever
CoD4, Halo, Bioshock (does that count 0.o), Half-life, Metroid Prime and Duke Nukem 3D
Oh **** that's 6.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
just to change yours a little

#5 Counter Strike Source
#4 Team Fortress 2
#3 Halo
#2 Half-life 2
#1 Bioshock (2k was actually thinking of making their own genre for this work of art, but decided not to. they should have. it remains my favorite scifi/fantasy/fps/strategy game/rpg/genre buster)

OutlawStar

Smash Apprentice
1-Golden Eye-N64
2-Medal of Honor- frontline
3-Metroid Prime
4-Call of Duty
5-Medal of Honor- Allied Assault

I haven`t really played any new ones, but those are classic.
I like FFIX more than FFVII, but VII is socond :D

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Painkiller is an oddity. Technically the AI and what not is ********, but there's just sooooo much crazy **** you cant even bother to care.

Golden Eye games are old. They were good back then, not compared to new stuff, even the original Halo, get over it.

Skrah

Smash Ace
Not in order:
CoD4: Really broke the WW2 thing.
Killzone 2: Amazing multiplayer, graphics, AI. Kicked Halo's butt.
Far Cry 2: Great non linear FPS.
Metroid Prime 3: Good use of Wiimote.
Portal: All good fun

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
This list is very debatable.
You should give some appreciation to some of the older FPS.
and i heard Bioshock main focus wasn't to be a FPS.

OutlawStar

Smash Apprentice
Painkiller is an oddity. Technically the AI and what not is ********, but there's just sooooo much crazy **** you cant even bother to care.

Golden Eye games are old. They were good back then, not compared to new stuff, even the original Halo, get over it.
Heh. Its just my opinion, Don`t get mad.

finalark

SNORLAX
Resistance 2 is also pretty neat.
Did someone just say Resistance?

Yeah, I really liked Resistance 2 and the first one. I was considering Resistance 2 for my number 5 spot, actually.

You should give some appreciation to some of the older FPS.
and i heard Bioshock main focus wasn't to be a FPS.
I'm sorry if I haven't played very many old FPS'. But I'm not going to go blow money on a game that probably sucks and pretends to be good due to nostalgia. And before a massive amount of fanboys start going on a manhunt for me, let me clarify: I don't mean that old FPS' are bad. I just haven't played very many.

And while Bioshock's main focus wasn't to be an FPS doesn't mean that it isn't.

kirbypika

Smash Cadet
But I'm not going to go blow money on a game that probably sucks and pretends to be good due to nostalgia. And before a massive amount of fanboys start going on a manhunt for me, let me clarify: I don't mean that old FPS' are bad. I just haven't played very many.
Oxymoron

GUYS, old games are played not for NOSTALGIA, but for the simple fact that they are GREAT games. I cant believe games like Resistance and Far Cry make the list "of all time", they're not even good in today's standards.

Fallout 3 is a mix of FPS and RPG, Bioshock is survival horror in a first-person view.

I fucking hate the new generation of gamers.

Skrah

Smash Ace
Oxymoron

GUYS, old games are played not for NOSTALGIA, but for the simple fact that they are GREAT games. I cant believe games like Resistance and Far Cry make the list "of all time", they're not even good in today's standards.

Lol calm down, my list is just the FPS that I found in my room lol. More often than not I dig in my old N64 and NES/SNES games.

And I'll flash the "Everyone has different tastes" card.

finalark

SNORLAX
Oxymoron

Fallout 3 is a mix of FPS and RPG, Bioshock is survival horror in a first-person view.

I hate to burst your bubble, but almost all survival horror games are in first-person view.

And no, not all old games are great. Usually, most people consider old games great because they remember them being really good. Just because you remember something being really good doesn't mean that it is. For example, last week I played through Spyro the Dragon, an old classic in my eyes. I remembered this game to be really good, almost as if it was made by God. But now I realized that while yes it was fun, it really wasn't that good. And who ever said that my little list was of all time? These are just my favorites at the moment. There's going to be better games that come out.

EDIT: Because I feel like ultimately shoving this down everyone's throat, I'll basically parrot what I said back in my post on nostalgia. When you're young, almost everything seems good. More often than not, the memory of a game is better than the actual game itself. Most people become far to attached to their childhood memories and come to think that the game was the embodiment of perfection. It's because of this that many fail to realize that most sequels outdo the originals and improve on them vastly. For instance, I played Majora's Mask before I played Ocarina of Time. And guess what? Majora's mask took a fairly good game and improved on it vastly. In other words, Majora's Mask was better. But most people fail to realize this because they've become so attached to Ocarina of Time that they can't see past it.

kirbypika

Smash Cadet
I hate to burst your bubble, but almost all survival horror games are in first-person view.
Resident Evil says hi. Silent Hill dropped a line as well. I daresay a third person view is much more dominant than a first person view.

And no, not all old games are great. Usually, most people consider old games great because they remember them being really good. Just because you remember something being really good doesn't mean that it is.
Guess what? I never said all old games are great. And again, I never said anything about "the memory of the game", I never said anything about how I used to play the game. I still do play those games. In fact, I just got back from a few maps of Wolf: ET. Quit making assumptions.

Spyro=Motion sickness

finalark

SNORLAX
Resident Evil says hi. Silent Hill dropped a line as well. I daresay a third person view is much more dominant than a first person view.

Guess what? I never said all old games are great. And again, I never said anything about "the memory of the game", I never said anything about how I used to play the game. I still do play those games. In fact, I just got back from a few maps of Wolf: ET. Quit making assumptions.
Congratulations, you've named two survival horror games, the first of which has almost all of its titles in first person, as examples.

Yeah, you got a point there. You were going on the offense (to a high degree) so my subconscious instantly goes on the defense. You seriously need to relax. And besides, perhaps the reason why many newer first person shooters are being hailed as the great masterpieces of God is because they're actually good.

But of course there nowhere near as good as the professionals say, they overrate everything.

Top Bottom