• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Top 5 Brawl [ US | CAN | MEX]

Status
Not open for further replies.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
I mean tbh my position is a bit off but I don't care enough to argue about it lol

Who cares about the list anyway? Just go out and **** ****, just because your name appears on a list doesn't magically mean you'll do better at tourneys hahaha

OMGSH THANK YOU lol.

I don't understand why it's such a big deal if you're on the list, especially if the results support where you land on the list. I'm not gonna lie I have relied on the opinions of others [OTHERS MEANING THE PEOPLE/MODS IN THIS THREAD] despite what I think is inaccurate based on results. That may be unfair but when I put the list in order by results or wins people complain. Is this really how people act when facts and statistics are pointed out? This is pretty saddening and immature if you can't just man up, see where you are and continue to do your best like athletes do.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Doesn't all of this discussion kind of remind you guys of how much controversy surrounds the BCS system in college football?

Only they have legitimate reasons to argue because where they are ranked means different revenue levels from different tier bowl games lol

milesg2g

Smash Champion
Doesn't all of this discussion kind of remind you guys of how much controversy surrounds the BCS system in college football?

Only they have legitimate reasons to argue because where they are ranked means different revenue levels from different tier bowl games lol

Lol yes it does, and I find that funny because no one here is getting paid more for being ranked higher lol. It's just unnecessary drama.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
believing x players results are better then y players results is also an opinion and can be untrue at that.

How is that opinion?

Please explain how results can be opinion. To my understanding a result comparison is based off of Facts.

Here let me spell it out for you.

[Not real results or statistics just trying to prove a point]

Kobe Bryant averages 48 points and his team makes it to the play offs every year.

Tracy McGrady averages 21 points and his team never makes it to the play offs.

These are results.

Now it's up to me to figure out who's better. Hmmmmmm I don't wanna say Kobe because even though statistically he's the better player that'd be my opinion.

^That's basically your logic.

Now tell me how that makes any sense. I'm choosing who's better or who belongs where off of RESULTS not off of my personal opinion. Results take most of the personal opinion out of the decision making in the first place lol.

MJG

Smash Hero
Lol, I never knew this place existed until i name searched for the first time in my life.

Well I think the Olimar top 5 is wrong.. I honestly can't see hilt or L cancel being top 5, no offense. So I have to ask, what have they accomplished in results to be ranked above me and fino? I lurk the tournament results thread and study the brackets and I do not see them being the 4th and 5th best Olimars in the US CAN and MEX area. Someone explain to me why they are

EDIT: I was told I'd need evidence to give in order to actually have an argument. So Below are links containing my results.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=296314
UNK3:
I beat mjg, holmes and fino, 2-0 all of them. I beat holmes right after he 3 stocked fino on his cp game 2.

I lost to mjg's mk by time out and I lost to clel. The results below show adaptation against clel

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=296716
New Phase:
I Beat: clel, zeton. 2-0 both of them

I lost: d4b8 and ultimate razer. I took d4b8 to game 3 my cp, i just chocked and got gimped first stock and he proceeded to time me out..

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=285278&highlight=hobo
Phase 13:
I beat: type x, mr doom, slaps and domo
I lost: D phat

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=288537&highlight=hobo
Hobo 28:
I beat: Polt, K prime (who beat zori then lost to me next round), panty raider, alsm.

I lost: Jerm. I can beat him now tho

My pocket MK didn't time you out game 1 and game 2, you timed yourself out :bee:

Coney

Smash Master
it will always be very very difficult to say who is better than who, people shouldn't take this list as an absolute or anything, just as a general guideline of what's going on

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Miles you probably should not remove any names because including them is the only way to attempt to achieve as accurate a list as possible. Plus if you don't have them, then every couple pages someone who is not paying attention will ask why [insert person] is not ranked.

It isn't the players decision on whether or not people talk about them/include them in rankings/etc.

Also when will people realize just about every ranking will be inaccurate somewhat, nothing is definitive and players skill levels are constantly changing. Yet that doesn't mean people shouldn't try to create a ranking. Giving up before you even attempt something is a pretty useless attitude to take in life.

-Every sport has rankings based on teams and even position within teams, all of which have arbitrarily weighted statistics in addition to opinions
-Most of the BCS system in college football is based on opinion based rankings
-Every week multiple websites release power rankings for every major sports, which are typically composed by just a single person. Having more than one persons input on this list should make this more accurate than any power ranking you see on ESPN/sportsline/sportsillustrated/etc (all of which have different rankings because they are opinion based! Gasp! What a crime, they might as well stop because they can't possibly be 100% accurate)
-Rankings are useful for many reasons. It lets you know what players to look for videos for, it lets you know what level to attempt to strive to achieve, etc.

-The only downside to rankings are drama and hurt feelings. Both of which are negatives that are the result of, typically, immaturity.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
Miles you probably should not remove any names because including them is the only way to attempt to achieve as accurate a list as possible. Plus if you don't have them, then every couple pages someone who is not paying attention will ask why [insert person] is not ranked.

It isn't the players decision on whether or not people talk about them/include them in rankings/etc.

Also when will people realize just about every ranking will be inaccurate somewhat, nothing is definitive and players skill levels are constantly changing. Yet that doesn't mean people shouldn't try to create a ranking. Giving up before you even attempt something is a pretty useless attitude to take in life.

I was actually thinking of putting both him and illmatic back on but I'm afraid they're gonna get all upset and what not because of it.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
How is that opinion?
Results may be hard facts but their evaluation is still based on opinion to some extent.

As for Wolf I'd say the list should be Kain -> Choice -> Holms -> Seagull -> AC based on their results.

:059:

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Let them be mad. What's gonna come from them being mad? Them flaming a thread that mentions how good they are?

This **** cracks me up.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
put me back, don't care where you place me.

and i'm not mad - lol.

I understand what you are doing, I just don't really like these kind of threads anymore.

TP

Smash Master
LOL at results being facts.

FACT: I won a 60 person tournament, using mainly Ganondorf.

FACT: No other Ganon has put up a result that impressive.

Looks like I should be the best Ganon. Let's completely ignore how the tournament was only attended by students at Wash U. Clearly all that matters is a number, followed by another number. Get at my 1/60.

WedginatorX

Smash Champion
Holding side-B against Cheese until he quits.
I love how you never know what your talking about, yet pick up on other peoples convos lol. I made the list and was going to put it on AIB because nothing like it had been done on the AIB site. Did I know it'd be controversial? Yes. Did I know it'd get trolled? Yes. Doesn't mean it was like this freaking Troll Nuke Blog that was sposed to crash the site or something. The Blog got a lot of attention and what I really wanted was an accurate list. If it was a troll Blog I would've put you for 5th best Sonic, and Redhalberd as 2nd best every character like Kenny wanted.

Wedge I've yet to say this to you but I'm getting really annoyed by how much you meatride people. In the opening pages of this thread when it was being revised you just kept coming in saying things that weren't true because you heard someone else say it. You saw request for players on the list and figured I ignored them when I actually messaged them and they told me who should go where. You also kept calling the list bias when everyone was clearly confused on where I lived or who had made the revisions to the list lolol. And now you're agreeing with Orion on figuring out how a player is better by simply looking at their playstyle because a Wins and Results don't really depict who's better? You can't even defend what you say most of the time. Stop just getting on here to troll or say what someone else said.
Loool and yet again you're not understanding what I said, or maybe I miscommunicated. I didn't say to only judge based on playstyles. I meant to MORE ACCURATELY PLACE PEOPLE, you have to evaluate both their wins and playstyles together.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931

Looks like I should be the best Ganon. Let's completely ignore how the tournament was only attended by students at Wash U. Clearly all that matters is a number, followed by another number. Get at my 1/60.
Ganon won a tournament, Bowser has not won a tournament, therefore Ganon is better than Bowser.

And now we see what happens when people look at results instead of at the character.

I'm slightly sad this list is only for current players. Kos-Mos IMO in his prime had the best Peach hands down. I'll never consider another Peach better than him unless that person finds a way to always pull a bomb or strong turnip lol.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe

I WON MY HIGH SCHOOL'S TOURNEY , WHICH WAS ABOUT THE SAME NUMBER OF PEOPLE GOING ALL WOLF. GET@ME. /caps

milesg2g

Smash Champion
Loool and yet again you're not understanding what I said, or maybe I miscommunicated. I didn't say to only judge based on playstyles. I meant to MORE ACCURATELY PLACE PEOPLE, you have to evaluate both their wins and playstyles together.

And that's not true either. Sitting down and looking at one's playstyle and letting that decide who's better is completely off of opinion. It's like saying, "X player has less habbits and more impressive player style than Y player, even though Y player has more impressive results. I'll pick X player because I mean they're close but I like his playstyle better" There's no way that's more accurate. I feel like you guys are using words too loosely.

milesg2g

Smash Champion

Ganon won a tournament, Bowser has not won a tournament, therefore Ganon is better than Bowser.

And now we see what happens when people look at results instead of at the character.

I'm slightly sad this list is only for current players. Kos-Mos IMO in his prime had the best Peach hands down. I'll never consider another Peach better than him unless that person finds a way to always pull a bomb or strong turnip lol.
I WON A SOUTH JERSEY LOCAL, WITH FIFTY PEOPLE GOING ALL SONIC. GET@ME. /caps

fffff miles posting messed it up D;

That's being completely ignorant to the logic of results. When we say a results it's usually meant by a tourney thrown from your state w/ at least 5-10 members of the PR on it. Anything without will be simply ignored. Idky that was even brought up. Oh wait, yeah I do someone thought it'd be funny to make a rhetorical comment showing how Black and White results can be instead of simply looking at why results would matter.

KT Kasrani

Smash Champion
results are based off who is at the tourny not just that you won or placed high. i can go to all PA college tournies and get 1st with sheik. should i be best shiek and ranked 1st in PA?

milesg2g

Smash Champion
results are based off who is at the tourny not just that you won or placed high. i can go to all PA college tournies and get 1st with sheik. should i be best shiek and ranked 1st in PA?

Exactly, stop trying to take my logic and make it seem wrong. This is what people do when they're hit w/ facts they don't want to see. It's really Immature lol.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
And that's not true either. Sitting down and looking at one's playstyle and letting that decide who's better is completely off of opinion. It's like saying, "X player has less habbits and more impressive player style than Y player, even though Y player has more impressive results. I'll pick X player because I mean they're close but I like his playstyle better" There's no way that's more accurate. I feel like you guys are using words too loosely.
That depends though. I can use Wario as a personal example:

Back when PX played, we were the two forefront Wario's for Texas. We both placed pretty well with the character. There was a stretch of time where PX clearly had better results than I did, and certainly a lot more numerous results than I did since he traveled a lot when he was active.

Despite this, a lot of people would have said I was better than him because I played the character more optimally than he did. I was more willing to camp/run away with the character than PX was, I was willing to take the character to a gayer level frankly. For a good 3-6 months he was clearly ahead of me in results, but you could say I played the character better.

Going off who you think plays the character better is definitely opinion, but you can certainly use it alongside results or use it against results that are sporadic/inconsistent/complex for comparisons.

Edit: Yes miles, I'm more interested in looking at the Why and How of results, not just the results themselves. My post was blatantly aimed at the people who eat up results like a buffet without taking a deeper look.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
That depends though. I can use Wario as a personal example:

Back when PX played, we were the two forefront Wario's for Texas. We both placed pretty well with the character. There was a stretch of time where PX clearly had better results than I did, and certainly a lot more numerous results than I did since he traveled a lot when he was active.

Despite this, a lot of people would have said I was better than him because I played the character more optimally than he did. I was more willing to camp/run away with the character than PX was, I was willing to take the character to a gayer level frankly. For a good 3-6 months he was clearly ahead of me in results, but you could say I played the character better.

Going off who you think plays the character better is definitely opinion, but you can certainly use it alongside results or use it against results that are sporadic/inconsistent/complex for comparisons.

Edit: Yes miles, I'm more interested in looking at the Why and How of results, not just the results themselves. My post was blatantly aimed at the people who eat up results like a buffet without taking a deeper look.

The thing is I don't think anyone looks at results when comparing 2 players and just closes the book on who's better. They only rank one above another to encourage the other player to either travel more or get his results up. Which is pretty much the right move. "Oh you're a better player but stay in your region? How about we get you the hell out of your region real quick so we can see how you do here? That sound cool?" "Oh you're better but you you lost to him because you sd'd? How about you just not do that again so we can put you above".

There's nothing wrong w/ that.

It's like 2 students that are smart as hell and score the same on every test but another has taken his SAT or some other important test that his opponent hasn't taken so he's up. The other player will be 2nd to him until this happens. Doesn't mean he lacks the skill just based off results he's behind.

KT Kasrani

Smash Champion
@DMG:

even though people said ur playstyle was better, he still had the results to show that he was better than you at the time. it doesnt matter what other people say about how they think your better or if you give them a harder time. facts are facts. he had the placings and results to show and you didnt. all you had to do was step it up and you did.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
X & Speed are gonna be at Genesis 2. Hope that Arikie shows up too.

I want to see what this Arikie player is made of. Gonna place the highest out of the Sonics that go; that's my first goal.

List or no list, I just wanna be recognized. And I'll make it happen.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
X & Speed are gonna be at Genesis 2. Hope that Arikie shows up too.

I want to see what this Arikie player is made of. Gonna place the highest out of the Sonics that go; that's my first goal.

List or no list, I just wanna be recognized. And I'll make it happen.

The attitude everyone should have towards the list lol.

Also, Arikie could easily be replaced on the list but since everyone wanted Meekspeedy off so bad I put him there off of 2 people's request.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Ok, I just realized that the list for tls was up, and there is no way that kingtoon is better than me. Just none.

Only that I'd actually allow above me is jash, because of his win over ADHD and atomsk that he's had in his past. Only thing Ensis did that I havnt was beat CO18.

Gnes

Smash Master
Ok, I just realized that the list for tls was up, and there is no way that kingtoon is better than me. Just none.

Only that I'd actually allow above me is jash, because of his win over ADHD and atomsk that he's had in his past. Only thing Ensis did that I havnt was beat CO18.
Hype, get em best toon link ^_^

milesg2g

Smash Champion
You missed what I was saying. Whatever don't include me on the list.
Naw you're going on lol. If you wanna be removed start placing bad which shouldn't be a problem since you being on the list makes you perform worse anyway lolol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom